Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Report on High Percentage of Traveller Unemployment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭beerguts

In fairness to our itinerant brethren it is very hard to find employment when you are trying to edit YouTube call-out videos.
    Perfectionism is their downfall

• Registered Users Posts: 51,488 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Senator Flynn and Mrs Quilligan should be working with Travellers to get them to change their culture before asking settled people to change. It’s peoples interactions with Travellers that has given them their poor opinions of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

This thread has seen more yellow cards than Roy Keane did in his whole career.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

This thread has seen more yellow cards than Roy Keane did in his whole career.:p

I can't remember Keano being booked for telling the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I honestly think that a big part of the problem with Travellers is official Ireland's narrative that they're eternal victims. Everyone knows it's more complicated than that. I think settled people could engage more positively with the issue if we had an honest warts-and-all appraisal of the problems that tend to affect many in the community (ie I'm not saying they universally apply to all Travellers).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭hawley

https://kildare-nationalist.ie/2021/04/08/president-michael-d-higgins-sends-messages-of-solidarity-to-travellers-and-roma/

In the message, President Higgins reflects on progress made towards achieving the rights of Traveller and Roma communities and highlights the many areas in which progress has been insufficient.
    "Far too many challenges remain for Travellers and Roma. The bitter fruits of a failure of State policy are manifold, where it existed. Submission to narrow, exclusionary, property-based, and most unrepublican populist sentiments, in far too many Local Authorities, stand as indictments on Irish society past and present. Our failure for so long to address, with compassion and understanding, the needs of the Travelling community has of course been recognised recently as a failure to meet our obligations, including those under the European Social Charter.

“The statistics are appalling in terms of what has persisted as exclusion. Today, only 14 percent of Traveller women have completed secondary education, compared to 83 percent in the general population. Some 60 percent of Traveller men have not progressed beyond primary level in education. This is compared to 13 percent in the general population.

“Yes, it is true that the number of Travellers with third-level qualifications has doubled in the last number of years, and that is to be welcomed – what a great achievement it is, ground-breaking and exemplary – but this represents just over a half of one percent of the Traveller population. The figure for the general population with third-level qualifications is now 47 percent.

“Any general population, with a concept of citizenship and justice, should be concerned at the significant proportion of their fellow citizens from special groups that are being regularly excluded, generation after generation.

“The failure to achieve a full participation, while respecting the features of a recognised ethnic group, should concern us all. It has had results in every area of contemporary Irish society.

“Male members of the Travelling community are ten times more likely to be in the prison system, while females are up to twenty times more likely. Unemployment among Travellers remains at multiple levels of the State average. Life expectancy for Travellers is at least ten years lower than the general population. Infant mortality is considerably higher, and Traveller men are over six times more likely to die by suicide than men in the general population.

“Following years of marginalisation and poor living conditions, Travellers continue to experience higher levels of chronic disease such as asthma, stroke, heart disease and respiratory disease, making them in our present conditions so much more vulnerable to COVID-19.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Fair play to that lad, but it says a lot that his own community have exiled him because he wants something better than unemployment, poverty or making that up in "different ways".

Sounds to me like the Travellers need to address these issues before they complain about the rest of society judging them for what is generally an accurate negative perception.

Pavee point would be far better focussing on getting travellers to address their inherent problems such as criminality, fighting and destroying property at weddings and funerals, dangerous horse racing on the roads etc.

Instead, their whole purpose seems to be to criticize anyone who points out these issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Pavee point would be far better focussing on getting travellers to address their inherent problems such as criminality, fighting and destroying property at weddings and funerals, dangerous horse racing on the roads etc.

Instead, their whole purpose seems to be to criticize anyone who points out these issues.

You would be waiting a while, PP are a lobbyist group and nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

boombang wrote: »
    I can't remember Keano being booked for telling the truth.

He got sacked for it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

The travellers and the Roma were linked together by government policy but the travellers wouldn't be supporting others

I remember a traveller protest in Castlebar protesting Syrians being allocated housing

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/travellers-picket-mayo-council-over-efforts-to-relocate-syrian-family-1.2879465
    A group of Travellers have staged a protest over efforts by Mayo County Council to relocate a Syrian refugee family in Castlebar.

The picketers, members of the extended McDonagh family, are living in caravans in the Castlebar area. They say they have been on the council housing lists for years and their accommodation needs should be given priority over “foreigners”

Mother of two Teresa McDonagh, a daughter-in-law of Kathleen McDonagh, said she “got really vexed when she heard these foreign people had arrived in a bus”.

Imagine that. Fears about whom is being moved into your area by the council

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭Ckendrick

What do posters think are the more positive aspects of traveller culture?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,272 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Bad Boyo wrote: »
    Why would you work when the state gives you everything?

Pavee Point say the state should be giving them a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,272 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Ckendrick wrote: »

:confused:

Are there any?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Sure their own director was caught drink driving. Hardly going to call the kettle black.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Furze99 wrote:
    If travellers want acceptance in mainstream society, they need to start low. Take work, pay tax, show themselves to be reliable.

According to the report at least 20 percent already do this

:confused:

Are there any?

In 17 years I’ve never identified any but I’m interested in what other people have witnessed.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    According to the report at least 20 percent already do this

And 80% dont. I wonder if any other ethnic minority in Ireland make so little contribution to society ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Im a social care worker and occasionally work with homeless travellers and the majority of them wont have anything to do with Pavee Point .

On a side note , there are more and more travellers seeking employment and education ,not a huge amount but there does seem to be a gradual change.Ive worked with a couple of travelers who completed degrees and am aware of a few more.Im pretty certain theres a Garda and a couple of soldiers who are travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

In 17 years I’ve never identified any but I’m interested in what other people have witnessed.

Well they seem to get under the skin of a lot of boards posters so that’s a plus.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Plugguy

I wonder how many of the travellers claiming social welfare are actually claiming Jobseekers or how many are claiming a Disability Allowance or Carers Allowance. In my town most of them are on Disability and their partners then claim Carers Allowance. Also, as soon as their kids turn 16 they leave school and go on Disability Allowance, they can claim Disability because their parents were claiming Domiciliary Care Allowance for the kid.

• Advertisement

And 80% dont. I wonder if any other ethnic minority in Ireland make so little contribution to society ?
    Employers are queuing around the corner to hire them, are they?

It's amazing to see the level of open bigotry against travellers, on this website and in wider society, only for people to turn around and say "and they won't get a job", without a hint of irony.

Plugguy wrote: »
    I wonder how many of the travellers claiming social welfare are actually claiming Jobseekers or how many are claiming a Disability Allowance or Carers Allowance. In my town most of them are on Disability and their partners then claim Carers Allowance. Also, as soon as their kids turn 16 they leave school and go on Disability Allowance, they can claim Disability because their parents were claiming Domiciliary Care Allowance for the kid.

For the majority of travellers the scenario is (for example a family with 6 kids 3 in secondary 3 in primary) per week:
    Him: Disability Allowance €203 + €134.70 for his wife + €117 for the kids.
    Her: €109 + €117 for the kids Carers allowance
    He gets €28 per week for fuel from Oct to April
    She gets €870 per month child benefit
    She get €1700 lump sum in June for respite
    Free T V licence
    €35 per month for electricity.
    Free travel
    Medical cards.
    If I can get near them i fix it for her to get the €134.70 he gets for her, paid directly to her.

It's amazing to see the level of open bigotry against travellers, on this website and in wider society, only for people to turn around and say "and they won't get a job", without a hint of irony.

Not that many traveller men are actually getting Jobseekers. Mostly they get Disability Allowance because of their mental health issues.

Not that many traveller men are actually getting Jobseekers. Mostly they get Disability Allowance because of their mental health issues.
    Hmm. I find that very hard to believe

https://www.esri.ie/publications/a-social-portrait-of-travellers-in-ireland
    The main difference between Travellers and non-Travellers in employment terms is their very high levels of unemployment. Among those aged 25–64 years, the
    unemployment rate was 82 per cent for Travellers in Census 2011, compared to 17 per cent for non-Travellers. Travellers also had a lower rate of labour market participation, that is, being either in employment or unemployed. The labour market participation gap was not as large, however: 61 per cent of Travellers were
    in the labour market compared to 79 per cent of non-Travellers. Therefore, the lower employment rate of Travellers (11 per cent versus 66 per cent) was mainly
    driven by differences in unemployment.

That report shows that approx. twice as many travellers were unable to work due to disability than settled people, but it's still only 9%

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭The DayDream

I was five years unemployed after graduating as a mature student, couldn't get an interview or response even most times I applied, despite having a degree and a CV with 10 years experience in various fields.

But I'm sure our government will find it a doddle to get travellers gainfully employed. Something something fastest growing economy in Europe.

i was made to do a jobbridge internship and i also had to do jobpath. I didnt see one traveller being forced to go in and have former retail workers do up their CVs or jump through any hoops to get their dole.

The only reason this is coming to light is the government is finally facing the fact that due to their uncooperative nature they can't even put the travellers on their dumb ass schemes, basically taking away the only effective technique they have come up with in the last 50 years for lowering unemployment numbers.

The government love schemes because they create jobs for the ones running the schemes and also they take the ones on the schemes off the live register. One day I came in to jobpath and my 'employment advisor' who quit the week before (to take a job she never told me was going, fancy that!) had been replaced by a fella who WAS ON JOBPATH WITH ME the week before (so the jobpath crowd got 10k from the gov bonus for getting him off the dole plus the government now paying his wages, fancy that x2!)

And I guarantee that is what will come next: Travelbridge or Travelpath. I'm sure they are cooking it up as we speak but are probably stumped as to what unfortunate souls would be willing to try and run such a scheme, considering the cops don't even like to tangle with these boys due to the hassle involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Hmm. I find that very hard to believe

https://www.esri.ie/publications/a-social-portrait-of-travellers-in-ireland

That report shows that approx. twice as many travellers were unable to work due to disability than settled people, but it's still only 9%

Another govt report says 11.5%, triple the general populace.

This post will probably be silently deleted too as only certain "truth" is permitted here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Roma gypsies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭20silkcut

In the past (over 40 years ago) they produced some of the finest traditional musicians this country has ever seen. The furey brothers, the Dunne’s, the Doran’s, etc.
    Music/busking was a viable occupation for a traveller in those days.
    Unburdened by the labour intensive nature of agricultural and industrial work of the time they were able to develop their musical ability far beyond most ordinary folk and brought fantastic entertainment at quite a bleak time in this country.
    Unfortunately that tradition is all but lost now among travellers . Their only musical contribution now is to swell numbers at country and western gigs .
    The travelling musician is no longer unique as traditional music has become more middle class and gentrified.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Perhaps travellers should seek to do something about their reputation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Mad_maxx wrote:
    Perhaps travellers should seem to do something about their reputation?

Pointing the finger won't work, as that's exactly what we ve always been doing, a radically different approach is needed

Advertisement