Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Report on High Percentage of Traveller Unemployment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

To summarise the report;

More money needed for more NGOs and Quango jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Gimme gimme gimme seems to be what's on the order of the day....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭Ckendrick

conorhal wrote: »
    The top three routes out of poverty are:
    1)Education
    2)Education
    and
    3)Education

This fatuous report seems more interest in creating a host of QUANGOs and 'social programmes' destined to fail because there is no focus on fixing the root of the problem.

Like many programmes designed by the well to do chattering middle classes, they always focus on 'visibility' rather then substance.

You have to start with traveller kids in primary school and work from there, there's no quick fixes, no shortcuts and no quota you can put in place that does anything other then set them up for failure if you're ignoring the basics that need to be in place for them to succeed.

The other route out of/avoidance of poverty is postponing starting a family until you are in a position to financially support dependents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Just another woe is me story for the travellers, everyone's fault but mine, it's their standard narrative.

You'll always get a few suckers who'll pander to them but the vast majority of society knows what they're about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭bigroad

How many millions have been pumped into this group over the last twenty years and we are still asking the same questions with no results.
    A complete waste of the taxpayers money.
    Jobs for the boys is all this is about ,nice handy numbers for the NGOs ect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

bigroad wrote: »
    How many millions have been pumped into this group over the last twenty years and we are still asking the same questions with no results.
    A complete waste of the taxpayers money.
    Jobs for the boys is all this is about ,nice handy numbers for the NGOs ect.

billions not millions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I do agree with this part "Ms Quilligan said changing such attitudes will involve significant cultural shifts."

It's possible we are thinking about different elements of culture, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭hawley

The report, launched today, also suggests that the network of Traveller employment liaison personnel.

The research report, entitled Mincéir Misl’er a Tom Tober (Travellers Moving along the Main/Big Road) — Travellers in the Mainstream Labour Market, is being published by the St Stephen's Green Trust.

It highlights barriers such as the much lower level of education of many Mincéirí and experiences of "micro-aggressions".

"These were in the form of overhearing workplace conversations that were hostile to, or negative about Travellers, or being addressed in patronising terms that identified them as somehow exceptional: 'you’re not like them (other Travellers)'."

In the foreword, Senator Eileen Flynn said the obstacles to labour market participation were rooted in racism which required "a deep and multi-layered response

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Before doing the default thing of lashing Travellers out of it, ask yourself if you’d employ one. Their issues and problems are well documented but just on a real level, while being honest with yourself, would you take one on? It’s easy to tell someone to get a job but if there’s nowhere willing to give you a start it’s a tough predicament.

I think if they actually wanted to tackle the issue of traveller unemployment, the best way to do it would be tying child benefit to school attendance which I doubt they will ever do.

I don't know did anyone else watch the Tyson Fury documentary a while ago? Him and his wife are obviously very settled but despite that his wife was still iffy about his daughter continuing on to secondary school (https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-8735015/Tyson-Furys-wife-Paris-says-theyre-fence-letting-daughter-secondary-school.html), fair play to him hes standing up to her about it but I think its such a major uphill battle if someone who obviously doesn't need to help around the house or go out and work or any of the usual excuses could still be potentially taken out of school at 11 because of "culture".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Pussyhands wrote: »
    They have a strong work from home culture also

Working from other people's homes

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Who d employ them?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,262 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Omackeral wrote: »
    Before doing the default thing of lashing Travellers out of it, ask yourself if you’d employ one. Their issues and problems are well documented but just on a real level, while being honest with yourself, would you take one on? It’s easy to tell someone to get a job but if there’s nowhere willing to give you a start it’s a tough predicament.

If they were qualified and best fit for the job, then yes. Not sure how many actually go to university and qualify with undergrads / postgraduates. I assume it's a very low number.

I think if they actually wanted to tackle the issue of traveller unemployment, the best way to do it would be tying child benefit to school attendance which I doubt they will ever do.

Wouldn't work, logic doesn't work to resolve such situations, as it generally exasperates it

6 wrote:
    If they were qualified and best fit for the job, then yes. Not sure how many actually go to university and qualify with undergrads / postgraduates. I assume it's a very low number.

We don't live on that planet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭Ckendrick

I find very few people who comment on travellers have ever spoken to, or otherwise have anything to do with, a traveller.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Stephen Gawking

The vast majority of travellers are completely unemployable, yes there's some hard workers amongst them but criminal enterprise is hardly gainful employment. Usually they'll only pay income tax when its the criminal assets bureau doing the 'asking' & even then that being done via the barrel of a gun.

Having said that; in my job there is one lad who is a traveller. Makes no bones about it & he's some grafter. Could listen to his stories all day, he once told me that he & his wife have been completely ostracised by the wider traveller society because they wanted a better life for their kids, he works, she works part time, kids go to school. And because he wouldn't get involved in the family 'business' or other 'cultural' activities the wider traveller community want nothing to do with him. You should hear what he has to say about certain NGO's as well.

Ckendrick wrote:
    I find very few people who comment on travellers have ever spoken to, or otherwise have anything to do with, a traveller.

Completely agree, you 'll find learning disabilities would be common enough amongst them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

You cannot help them when it comes to education I have found. I haven’t had one traveller who has had an interest in being educated. You can try, try, try until you are blue in the face but it ain’t happening. It’s all about whether they’ll sit quiet in the class or not. Some will, some will be extremely disruptive. Mostly the latter.

I find their history really interesting tbh. They are obviously working out of an extremely small gene pool which is causing a whole host of issues. What we see as normal is not normal to them and vice versa. It just so happens that stealing and not getting an education is part of their culture.

Leftwaffe wrote:
    You cannot help them when it comes to education I have found. I haven’t had one traveller who has had an interest in being educated. You can try, try, try until you are blue in the face but it ain’t happening. It’s all about whether they’ll sit quiet in the class or not. Some will, some will be extremely disruptive. Mostly the latter.

Theyd hardly have disorders such adhd, would they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,262 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I know a few working in regular employment. They are settled which I'd imagine makes all the difference.

How anyone can be moving around working is beyond me. Must be impossible, hence the numbers.

6 wrote:
    How anyone can be moving around working is beyond me. Must be impossible, hence the numbers.

....but is trying to make travellers settlers, really working?

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Theyd hardly have disorders such adhd, would they?

I’m not sure if your being genuine here but yes, of course they would. The incidence of learning difficulties amongst travellers is higher than the general population I have found.

However, I have had many travellers who just have mild general learning disabilities. Comparing this group to settled students who have a similar label attached them, the settled student will try and will engage with the content. More often than not a traveller won’t bother this hole.

Learning difficulties are a big issue but there is a serious lack of desire to be educated. Learning difficulties play a role but its much more of a cultural thing IMO.

6 wrote: »
    I know a few working in regular employment. They are settled which I'd imagine makes all the difference.

How can anyone not working be driving around a 2021 Isuzu D’Max? That’s what I want to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

If they are settled are they still travelers for the purpose of the report?

If you come from a traveler background and work as a teacher or work in Ryan air or as a nurse and there are travelers working in those areas if they have settled years ago how are they categorised for the reprort.

I’d say a good proportion of the 20% could be made of travellers with their own businesses? Painting sheds, concrete, etc. I wouldn’t say there’s a traveller working in Brown Thomas or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Leftwaffe wrote: »
    I’d say a good proportion of the 20% could be made of travellers with their own businesses? Painting sheds, concrete, etc. I wouldn’t say there’s a traveller working in Brown Thomas or anything.

How do you know some will identify as traveler some will not, someone dong the vaccines and giving it to a nurse, the nurse was very keen to tell the vaccination she was a traveler.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

hawley wrote: »
    The report, launched today, also suggests that the network of Traveller employment liaison personnel.

The research report, entitled Mincéir Misl’er a Tom Tober (Travellers Moving along the Main/Big Road) — Travellers in the Mainstream Labour Market, is being published by the St Stephen's Green Trust.

It highlights barriers such as the much lower level of education of many Mincéirí and experiences of "micro-aggressions".

"These were in the form of overhearing workplace conversations that were hostile to, or negative about Travellers, or being addressed in patronising terms that identified them as somehow exceptional: 'you’re not like them (other Travellers)'."

In the foreword, Senator Eileen Flynn said the obstacles to labour market participation were rooted in racism which required "a deep and multi-layered response

I cannot shake my accent either and it makes me a target for certain jokes which I don’t always appreciate. So what, you got to learn how to deal with it.

Guess what..if you sulk and play the eternal victim role it just makes things worse. Unfortunately that’s the only side I ever see when I see an article on Traveller right violations

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The vast majority of travellers are completely unemployable, yes there's some hard workers amongst them but criminal enterprise is hardly gainful employment. Usually they'll only pay income tax when its the criminal assets bureau doing the 'asking' & even then that being done via the barrel of a gun.

Having said that; in my job there is one lad who is a traveller. Makes no bones about it & he's some grafter. Could listen to his stories all day, he once told me that he & his wife have been completely ostracised by the wider traveller society because they wanted a better life for their kids, he works, she works part time, kids go to school. And because he wouldn't get involved in the family 'business' or other 'cultural' activities the wider traveller community want nothing to do with him. You should hear what he has to say about certain NGO's as well.

Fair play to that lad, but it says a lot that his own community have exiled him because he wants something better than unemployment, poverty or making that up in "different ways".

Sounds to me like the Travellers need to address these issues before they complain about the rest of society judging them for what is generally an accurate negative perception.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

mariaalice wrote: »
    How do you know some will identify as traveler some will not, someone dong the vaccines and giving it to a nurse, the nurse was very keen to tell the vaccination she was a traveler.

How did the vaccination respond to that news?

Advertisement