Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Cup 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Joekers

Got on the dutch at 10/1 meself hopefully they will hold out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

England were awful, but the Dutch were equally as good.

The tournament needed this.

I'd be surprised if England are in a mental state to pull off the chase though if Peterson tries to do a Sehwag and bat 40 overs..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭NWPat

I don't see England getting that total if they bat like they fielded, what a shambles. The Dutch batted well and if they bowl with discipline should win this match.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,429 ✭✭✭Trampas

the start will be huge. a few quick early wickets would be a help but not looking that way

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

Botham saying Ireland are the weakest team of the group. SKY are really testing my patience today by making all associate teams out to be easy walkovers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

The Netherlands certainly aren't being walked over at the moment anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Does it look like the Netherlands have much of a shot at holding on?

All I have to go on at work are the BBC's lolbad text updates...

I only have streams. This one is ok at the moment anyway (awesome ads too):

http://www.webcric.com/live-cricket-streaming.htm

Still fairly tight, think England should probably win but they still need over a run a ball. 7.17 at the moment.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Collingwood in, I hope he doesn't decide to regain his form now

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

Following on cricinfo at work...c'mon the Oranje! Don't mind England but with all the crap written about the associates in the last couple of days it would be great to see the Dutch win.

Bell gone, set up for a massive finish now :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Oscar_Dub

keane2097 wrote: »
    Does it look like the Netherlands have much of a shot at holding on?

All I have to go on at work are the BBC's lolbad text updates...

http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc_cricket_worldcup2011/engine/current/match/433562.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Oscar_Dub

Wheres Dirk when you need him ?

So England scrape to a win, pleased with the win but they are going to struggle against anyone with any quality at all if they play like that again. Ireland have a REAL chance against them.

England just about did enough but what a bore from over 20 to 45, this form of the game is going nowhere. Anyone up for 30/30 cricket

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

It can't be hit-a-six-every-ball, there has to be some sort of patient building of runs and singles...maybe enforce the Batting Powerplay having to be taken before over 40
    dooferoaks wrote: »
    So England scrape to a win, pleased with the win but they are going to struggle against anyone with any quality at all if they play like that again. Ireland have a REAL chance against them.

But if ten Doeschate tees off like that against Ireland..

NWPat wrote: »
    England just about did enough but what a bore from over 20 to 45, this form of the game is going nowhere. Anyone up for 30/30 cricket

I think the 2 inns idea is a really good one, but saying that, you still get flat periods in 20/20 cricket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Just looking through the ridiculous fixture format for this comp.
    India get a week between games for all rounds bar one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Oscar_Dub wrote: »
    Wheres Dirk when you need him ?
    Back home in Australia where he was born and bred no doubt.

SSN reporting Ricky Ponting to be charged by ICC after alleged incident in dressing room.

Damaged a TV apparently, doesn't sound like a big deal tbh.

dfx- wrote: »
    It can't be hit-a-six-every-ball, there has to be some sort of patient building of runs and singles...maybe enforce the Batting Powerplay having to be taken before over 40

But if ten Doeschate tees off like that against Ireland..

I think they call that test Cricket:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Not really, in Test Cricket there's different fielding restrictions. You can't chase 300 in 90 overs of test cricket as India and Pakistan both showed recently on tour in SA and NZ. You can chase 350 in 50 overs with some patience. It's called application...and especially after losing a wicket. Teams who have more application win, which is generally a good indicator in cricket as a whole..

Another shocking performance from Kenya, 46 extras then bowled out for 112.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

46 extras is nuts.

But in fairness, they seems to be in a dire situation the past few years.
    I'd regardthem as the worst accosiate team in the cup. Pity Afghanistan didnt make it instead of them as im sure they would have given Pakistan a fair rattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭loosecannon

Great pity to see what has happened to Kenya - it goes to show how bad things can be if they're poorly handled by the ruling body of a sport....

They haven't been helped by 2 of their best batsmen, Waters and Tikolo failing but from what we've seen so far they have no business playing here, a real pity Afghanistan didn't qualify instead alright. And I can't see Canada being competitive in any of their games either.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭SD7792

Just shows once more how we are in the group of death. If we were in the other group we'd comfortably beat the other associate. We've already beaten Zimbabwe in the warm up. And with the year new Zealand and Pakistan have had im sure we'd give them a good run for their money..

Ah well. We can't change what group were in now so roll on Friday :P

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,577 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Crickinfo article on the Irish team in the context of the World Cup

You'd think after the farce that was the last world cup they would have done a better job of organising this one but well

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-12563578

Pretty rubbish game today between SA and WI

They won't blame the farce or crappy recording of the National Anthems on the World Cup Organisers, they will blame it on too many games and the cursed Assoicates making the tournament too long. Completely irrelevant in the real world, but not in the fevered imaginations of the ICC.

• Advertisement

Too true, another article on cricinfo saying there was no food in the stadium.. and all the ICC are concerned about is the Associates :rolleyes:

Advertisement