Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Cup 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

Sri Lanka

Kumar Sangakkara (capt & wk), Mahela Jayawardene, Tillakaratne Dilshan, Upul Tharanga, Thilan Samaraweera, Chamara Silva, Chamara Kapugedera, Angelo Mathews, Thisara Perera, Nuwan Kulasekara, Lasith Malinga, Dilhara Fernando, Muttiah Muralitharan, Ajantha Mendis, Rangana Herath.

Pakistan

Shahid Afridi, Misbah-ul-Haq, Mohammad Hafeez, Kamran Akmal, Younis Khan, Asad Shafiq, Umar Akmal, Abdul Razzaq, Abdur Rehman, Saeed Ajmal, Shoaib Akhtar, Umar Gul, Wahab Riaz, Sohail Tanveer, Ahmed Shahzad.

Australia

Shane Watson, Brad Haddin (wk), Ricky Ponting (capt), Michael Clarke, Michael Hussey, David Hussey, Cameron White, Tim Paine (wk), Steven Smith, John Hastings, Mitchell Johnson, Nathan Hauritz, Brett Lee, Shaun Tait, Doug Bollinger.

booth70 wrote: »
    India

MS Dhoni (capt & wk), Sachin Tendulkar, Virender Sehwag, Gautam Gambhir, Yuvraj Singh, Suresh Raina, Virat Kohli, Yusuf Pathan, Harbhajan Singh, Praveen Kumar, Zaheer Khan, Ashish Nehra, Munaf Patel, Piyush Chawla, R Ashwin

tbh.... I would have picked Rohit Sharma instead of that prima donna Yuvraj Singh

Ashwin looks a good pick.....he bowled beautifully for CSK in the IPL....while this is a totally different ball game the conditions will suit hm

Sri Lanka

Kumar Sangakkara (capt & wk), Mahela Jayawardene, Tillakaratne Dilshan, Upul Tharanga, Thilan Samaraweera, Chamara Silva, Chamara Kapugedera, Angelo Mathews, Thisara Perera, Nuwan Kulasekara, Lasith Malinga, Dilhara Fernando, Muttiah Muralitharan, Ajantha Mendis, Rangana Herath.

Pity about Jayasuriya missing out....I was hoping he would have been given one final chance given that the World Cup was being played in SL

Australia

Shane Watson, Brad Haddin (wk), Ricky Ponting (capt), Michael Clarke, Michael Hussey, David Hussey, Cameron White, Tim Paine (wk), Steven Smith, John Hastings, Mitchell Johnson, Nathan Hauritz, Brett Lee, Shaun Tait, Doug Bollinger.

Australia, as ever, look the team to beat, the Ashes drubbing notwithstanding

• Advertisement

Teams for the world cup

South Africa

Graeme Smith (capt), Hashim Amla, Johan Botha, AB de Villiers (wk), JP Duminy, Faf du Plessis, Colin Ingram, Jacques Kallis, Morne Morkel, Wayne Parnell, Robin Peterson, Dale Steyn, Imran Tahir, Lonwabo Tsotsobe, Morne van Wyk (wk)

Definite semifinalists but can they (finally) go any further!

England

Andrew Strauss (capt), James Anderson, Ian Bell, Tim Bresnan, Stuart Broad, Paul Collingwood, Eoin Morgan, Kevin Pietersen, Matt Prior, Ajmal Shahzad, Graeme Swann, James Tredwell, Jonathan Trott, Luke Wright, Michael Yardy

Looked invincible until Watson brought them back to earth with that fantastic innings in Melbourne!

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Cremated

Australia, as ever, look the team to beat, the Ashes drubbing notwithstanding

I find it hard to look past Australia to win it, and at the moment I feel it will be a India/Australia final or Sri Lanka/Australia final,

then again which South Africa will show up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Looked invincible until Watson brought them back to earth with that fantastic innings in Melbourne!

Too early in a seven match series to judge anything about either team. Cant really ever have seen themselves as invincible when they were hammered in the Test they lost anyway.

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Too early in a seven match series to judge anything about either team. Cant really ever have seen themselves as invincible when they were hammered in the Test they lost anyway.

Agree that it's early days yet in the series but England were given a harsh reminder of why Australia are the no:1 team in one day cricket.....after all it's not every day of the week that a score like 294 gets chased down or someone scores 161!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Agree that it's early days yet in the series but England were given a harsh reminder of why Australia are the no:1 team in one day cricket.....after all it's not every day of the week that a score like 294 gets chased down or someone scores 161!!

Coming round to your way of thinking after England get hammered again in the 2nd one dayer!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,714 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I think the current ODI series in Australia is a bit of an anti-climax for England after sorting out the "main event". It would have been very difficult for some of the players to keep a high level through the Ashes sereies the one-dayers and onto the World Cup, and the guys coming into the team are using the series as a warm-up.

I also think they will be back "all guns blazing" for the World Cup - as a team they are now starting to show repeatedly they can deliver when it matters (such as last years T20 and the 2 recent Ashes series)

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭crackit

Invincble looking England side? :confused: Test matches and ODI's are, obviously, two very different animals.

Australia have been at the top of the ODI tree for a long time now. They went out to India not so long ago and won 4-2 with 2nd and 3rd string players in their side at various stages. Aussie have been consistently the best side in the world in ODI's despite their dip in test standing.

England are (and were) clearly a bit behind Australia in ODI terms and were never likely to win this series. It's nothing to do with any Ashes come down. It's to do with the fact that Australia are a much better one day team than they are.

I fancy an Aus v SL final

crackit wrote: »

I fancy an Aus v SL final

India v Australia would be a dream final:)....Australia on one hand going for 4 in a row and Tendulkar on the other hand (at 38 and at home in his beloved Mumbai) in his last ever chance surely of getting the only thing thats missing in his CV....a world cup winners medal

• Registered Users Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I always worry that Sri Lanka are to reliant on Jayardene and Kumar these days.

India if their bowling does well should be favorites. Their batting options is frightening in the sub continent.

Sehwag- Sachin- Gambhir- Kohli/ Raina- Yuvraj -Dhoni- Pathan.

All of those guys are genuine match winners on their day.

Rjd2 wrote: »

India if their bowling does well should be favorites. Their batting options is frightening in the sub continent.

Yeah you would think they could put up a big total on the board and with their spin options they could choke a side, I hope India can win it for Sachin :)...

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭crackit

Rjd2 wrote: »

Completely true. I always give India a shout when it comes to and major tournament. But when you put it like that I don't see

I see
    DANGER - DAGNER - DANGER - DANGER - DANGER- DANGER - DANGER - DANGER

What a potent lineup that is

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheDrog

I wouldn't read into the Aus v Eng ODI series. In 2006/2007 England won the triseries beating the aussies 2-0 in the finals with the 6 games between the two ending 3-3. The aussies get through easily because they have the advantage of an easy group.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

[biased hat] South Africa - Bangladesh final please [/biased hat]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 votelawrence

Personally I'd love to see an England-Ireland final but somehow I don't really see that happening ;)

India-SL final's most likely and would be pretty great to watch since it'll be both Murali and Tendulkars last chances, just so long as the Aussies don't manage to make it 4 in a row.

Just out of interest who's everyones second and third teams to support? In case your country gets knocked out? Mine's going

1) England (born there)
    2) Ireland (live here)
    3) Pakistan (more oppurtunity to watch Afridi)

• Advertisement

Well if Ireland is knocked out of the World Cup I'll go for India/Australia, then Sri Lanka...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Eden Gardens in Kolkata has been declared as unusable for the World Cup. This impacts England v India, but more importantly impacts at least 1 of Ireland's fixtures.

No word yet on where they're being moved to.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc_cricket_worldcup2011/content/current/story/498480.html

I thought some my fellow Indians back home would have learnt a lesson from the shoddy build up to what was eventually a successfully staged Commonwealth Games last year....but as with everything in India everything is left to the last minute

This is the richest cricket board in the world....had all of seven years not to build a new stadium but to give an existing one a face lift but haven't managed that even:mad:.....Disgraceful:mad::mad::mad:....If this is the state of what is essentially one of the best cricket stadiums in the world I dread to think what will be on offer at the smaller grounds....Ashamed to say the least:(

I hope the crooks who run the BCCI fry in hell one day:mad:

1) England (born there)
    2) Ireland (live here)
    3) Pakistan (more oppurtunity to watch Afridi)

If Sehwag gets going like he normally does on the flat belters in India it will hopefully be India v Australia final...

For me the heart says India but the mind says Australia

The format of the world cup is such that I don't see any the so called 'minnows' progressing to the QF's

India-SL final's most likely and would be pretty great to watch since it'll be both Murali and Tendulkars last chances

It will be Muralitharan's and SRT's last world cup but atleast Muralitharan is a world cup winner (1996)....

Hopefully SRT will set that record straight come April:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

TrueDub wrote: »
    Eden Gardens in Kolkata has been declared as unusable for the World Cup. This impacts England v India, but more importantly impacts at least 1 of Ireland's fixtures.

No word yet on where they're being moved to.

Apparently they've not decided whether Eden Gardens can still host the other games or not - it's a capacity thing, as Eng v Ind would naturally be a sellout, whereas Ireland aren't such a draw.

And the BCCI have washed their hands of the whole thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

And another joke CWC looms again.
    Even NZ would run a better show.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 pkc1

Few bob on Sri Lanka i reckon, hopefully a world cup medal for murali before he retires.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

So basically Ireland are just along again to make up the numbers and haven't a hope of getting out of their group. :(

• Advertisement

So basically Ireland are just along again to make up the numbers and haven't a hope of getting out of their group. :(

I wouldn't say that, we should be looking to beat Holland and Bangladesh, and can't be ruled out against England or the West Indies...

Advertisement