Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Madden NFL 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

Madden and NCAA have huge staffs to get them out the door already - there is such a thing as budgets and minimum wage! Much of the money is tied up in the NFL licenses to begin with in any case. Every single year is an incremetal improvement - just because emotionally a certain new mode feels more value-added to you doesn't mean any less work went into the game this year as opposed to last.
    Well if 80% of the game is untouched (offline and online franchise, superstar etc.) and since 2006 basic features put into 2k5 and ps2 madden still haven't made the cut I don't buy that a) that much thought or b) that much effort has gone into madden 11. If they had focussed on refining the game engine I wouldn't care about new features but they really have to provide one or the other.
    It's not a valid comparision because you're not comparing like for like in anything but price - you can lambast it for being too pricey or for having less advancement per edition as a series like Mass Effect, but if you try to combine the two you have to ignore the fact that budgeting and development time are hugely different in those respective cases.
    I appreciate they have a compressed development window. They also make insane amounts of sales. In three years of development madden spawns three editions to your average AAA titles one. So you'd expect that in that year with all of the money they made that they could devote larger teams to make meaningful changes to the game. With the stellar greathouse patch of backbreaker (tiny development team, short time frame) the madden excuses just don't seem to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

columok wrote: »
    With the stellar greathouse patch of backbreaker (tiny development team, short time frame) the madden excuses just don't seem to work.

Backbreaker and short time frame to be fair cannot go into the same sentence. Took them 3 years to get it out. And it has many flaws and to be fair the game engine and player movement is unique compared to Madden but the game is not great. So much to improve on. Their ability to fix and grow this game will show now over the next year or so. If they can rattle out a better version next year then you can actually compare it to Madden for development time.

As a person who dislikes Madden I thought Backbreaker might offer something different but it didn't and to be honest with you wont gain any ground over Madden. I will stick to NCAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

Backbreaker and short time frame to be fair cannot go into the same sentence. Took them 3 years to get it out. And it has many flaws and to be fair the game engine and player movement is unique compared to Madden but the game is not great. So much to improve on. Their ability to fix and grow this game will show now over the next year or so. If they can rattle out a better version next year then you can actually compare it to Madden for development time.

As a person who dislikes Madden I thought Backbreaker might offer something different but it didn't and to be honest with you wont gain any ground over Madden. I will stick to NCAA.

My mention of short time frame referred to the greathouse patch where a huge number of fixes were implemented in a short timeframe. Compared to EA's crap attention to online franchise for Madden 10 it shows what can be done with willpower. You can bet Natural Motion had a fraction of the mooola that EA have for manpower. Agreed that backbreaker isn't the be all and end all of football games but they did a hell of a lot more with their development cycle (even over 3 years) than EA have done since Madden 2006!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Has anyone noticed wierd stuff going on with their game?

2 of my players celebrated after an incomplete pass, the referee announced Holding Offense, Declined, Repeat 4th Down...then it went to the other teams 1st down...

Its tougher to time a last ditch field goal cus you have to judge the meter bar

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed wierd stuff going on with their game?

2 of my players celebrated after an incomplete pass, the referee announced Holding Offense, Declined, Repeat 4th Down...then it went to the other teams 1st down...

Its tougher to time a last ditch field goal cus you have to judge the meter bar

Maybe they want trades.

• Advertisement

Syferus wrote: »
    Maybe they want trades.

Mannnnn, They are so cut!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Guys

Are any of you in an all ireland franchise in Madden 11 for the xbox?

I am sure we could rustle together 32 guys from Ireland who would be interested??

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Junior D

kilns wrote: »
    Guys

I am sure we could rustle together 32 guys from Ireland who would be interested??

Definitely would be interested, but can't for maybe a week or two. If ya do, PM me to let me know

kilns wrote: »
    Guys

I'd be up for it. Throw my hat in for Galway...Any idea how to structure something like this? is it 1 game a week, twice a week? does it have to be on set days? I've always wanted to play in a torunament online in a game but never have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Had an amazing game last night against the Vikings. Brady tied the NFL record of 7 TD passes, and was 12 yards short of the passing yards in a game record! Moss had 4 TD receptions, and 13 overall for over 230 yards. Epic stuff :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 FalseJoe

Archimedes wrote: »
    I never knew PS3 was region free :eek::eek:

And here's me playing Madden like a chump! How do you download the actual rosters for NCAA and upload then? Is it over PS market place or something else completely?

There is an option in game to download them directly to your hd.
    I have used a few so far this year while i was waiting for these ones. IMO they are the best available and he does depth and equipment updates throughout the year!

The opposition team threw an interception last night and I ran it in for a touchdown...two of their players celebrated..How could they have missed this!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭f1dan

Archimedes wrote: »
    Had an amazing game last night against the Vikings. Brady tied the NFL record of 7 TD passes, and was 12 yards short of the passing yards in a game record! Moss had 4 TD receptions, and 13 overall for over 230 yards. Epic stuff :)

Maybe you need to crank up the difficulty setting a notch :-P

Thats 3 so far, do you know of anymore who might be interested?

Could play two games a week, say from a Sunday to a Wed and then Thursday to Saturday.

Draft could be done by first to sign up gets first pick and so on

I am currently in a very well run one, only got in at the end, there is no initial draft just a free agents and then trades amongst other teams. Its really good and addictive! I am the Seahawks and must admit I am pretty crap!

Spread the word and get guys to express their interest in joining a franchise here!

I will give it ago but I am in the US for the whole month of Sept. I have a 360 also.

No Problem, would be up to you and the person you are playing against to arrange a time for your game

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Raoul

Right can we start making a list of people who would be interested?

I will set it up whenever we get enough.

What do you guys think about basically saying you have from 1 week to play the game and you just sort it out with the person you are meant to play.

We need to get a list of rules too. Like what happens if someone keeps getting disconnected or quits and so on. So any suggestions and I will add them.

We don't need to get 32 people really just as many as possible.

Boards Online Franchise:

1 - Raoul
    2 - Kilns
    3 - tallaghtoutlaws
    4 - Wompa1
    5 - Junior d

Raoul wrote: »
    Right can we start making a list of people who would be interested?

I will set it up whenever we get enough.

What do you guys think about basically saying you have from 1 week to play the game and you just sort it out with the person you are meant to play.

We need to get a list of rules too. Like what happens if someone keeps getting disconnected or quits and so on. So any suggestions and I will add them.

We don't need to get 32 people really just as many as possible.

Boards Online Franchise:

1 - Raoul
    2 - Kilns
    3 - tallaghtoutlaws
    4 - Wompa1
    5 - Junior d

Well I think that if we're going to do it we should do it right. Like with the rules. For example I think that on every 4th down the player should have to punt or go for field goal cause its so FRUSTRATING:mad::mad: when online and they go for it on their own 10 yard line. There could be exceptions to it though like if down in the last quarter. Also what level would the computer skill be??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Count me in.

Maybe set-up a new thread??

• Advertisement

Let me first of all say that I'm not the man who'll be setting this up, just starting the thread to ge more attention for it. Going by the posts in the Madden 11 thread it looks as if Raoul will be setting it up??? thats if hes up for it??

So far I think we have:

1 - Raoul
    2 - Kilns
    3 - tallaghtoutlaws
    4 - Wompa1
    5 - Junior d
    6 - Steve o

Also any suggestions on rules or COM skill levels??

For example I think that on every 4th down the player should have to punt or go for field goal cause its so FRUSTRATINGmad.gifmad.gif when online and they go for it on their own 10 yard line. There could be exceptions to it though like if down in the last quarter.

Junior D wrote: »
    Well I think that if we're going to do it we should do it right. Like with the rules. For example I think that on every 4th down the player should have to punt or go for field goal cause its so FRUSTRATING:mad::mad: when online and they go for it on their own 10 yard line. There could be exceptions to it though like if down in the last quarter. Also what level would the computer skill be??

I don't know about that one sometime if its inches I like to be ballsy. But if its something the majority want I wouldn't oppose it.

I would think if someone gets disconnected after the 3rd quarter it counts as a win to the other person unless the score is very one sided. Say if someone is winning by 15 or more and gets disconnected.

I suppose the bad thing since EA haven't been ballsy enough to address it themselves is that its very much up to the character of the players...I'll only be doing it for a bit of fun anyway so won't be overly aggressive. If its me thats losing when I get disconnected I would award the game to my opponent

Why the separate thread?

To be honest I do feel we should keep all the Madden 11 talk to 1 thread.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I don't know about that one sometime if its inches I like to be ballsy. But if its something the majority want I wouldn't oppose it.

Same a blanket ban on going for it on 4th shouldn't happen. Obviously common sense prevails.
    I would think if someone gets disconnected after the 3rd quarter it counts as a win to the other person unless the score is very one sided. Say if someone is winning by 15 or more and gets disconnected.

This will have to be discussed considering Broadband in this country can be sh1te at times.
    I suppose the bad thing since EA haven't been ballsy enough to address it themselves is that its very much up to the character of the players...I'll only be doing it for a bit of fun anyway so won't be overly aggressive. If its me thats losing when I get disconnected I would award the game to my opponent

EA never address anything :D Yeah if I was losing by more than 2 scores and its late into it and I got kicked out I would give the win over also. Especially if I know the other guy is simply playing better.

even if its inches though its still sometimes annoying because you can easily make inches with a FB.

Going for it on the 4th down should only be allowed in the 4th quarter if you are losing and then maybe allowed 1 any other time in the game just for the ballsy people to keep them happy.

So we are talking a fantasy draft yes??

I think first season should just be all-pro level and then maybe move it up second season. Cos we really want a full human playoff anyway.

And lag is a pain in the ass for myself. Eircom are currently updating my line atm so hopefully by the time this is started, it will be better. But yeah if you are losing by two scores, in the 3rd, and you get disconnected the game should be awarded to the other person.

Only what I think. Im not too bothered cos I would hope people here would just be fair enough and just have a bit of a laugh.

Raoul wrote: »
    even if its inches though its still sometimes annoying because you can easily make inches with a FB.

Going for it on the 4th down should only be allowed in the 4th quarter if you are losing and then maybe allowed 1 any other time in the game just for the ballsy people to keep them happy.

I coach football and if I was on my own 10 and facing inches on 4th down and had a FB I know who would get me those inches I would go for it. To be honest getting rid of peoples choice to do it in a game that allows it in reality is madness.

Sure common sense should kick in for most but if a team is good at converting 4th downs why shouldn't they do it? For me personally I would only take pot shots with 1 or inches to go. But if I knew my opponent was sh1t I would do it all the time. And i would expect the same if i was being danced on. :D:D
    So we are talking a fantasy draft yes??

I think first season should just be all-pro level and then maybe move it up second season. Cos we really want a full human playoff anyway.

Agreed on both
    And lag is a pain in the ass for myself. Eircom are currently updating my line atm so hopefully by the time this is started, it will be better. But yeah if you are losing by two scores, in the 3rd, and you get disconnected the game should be awarded to the other person.

I have a 30mb line with UPC which 80% of the time is awesome but recently its been sh1te :D
    Only, what I think. Im not too bothered cos I would hope people here would just be fair enough and just have a bit of a laugh.

Tis all about the craic

I coach football and if I was on my own 10 and facing inches on 4th down and had a FB I know who would get me those inches I would go for it. To be honest getting rid of peoples choice to do it in a game that allows it in reality is madness.

I totally get what you are saying. But in some cases people just take the piss and don't play the game realistically. So we need to just decide whats best. I actually have found playing online, not that many people actually are going for it on 4th down as much as last year. We could just leave it and hope that people play with some realism and fairness. And if not then we can add in a rule about it later?

I have done a fantasy draft before with 4 people, what ended up happening though was after three seasons, the three of us just had by far the best teams and we all knew we were goin to get the the playoffs and it was soo easy even on all-madden, so hopefully with a few more people this wont happen.

Lots of online leagues have a whole points capacity thing based on players overall ratings. But i found it was too much work and took the fun out of it. So I think basically just a bit of common sense on trades and any human to computer trades have to be approved by a certain number of people. anybody else have a better idea or anything else that needs to be discussed?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,659 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Junior D wrote: »
    Maybe set-up a new thread??
    Eh, one Madden thread is enough imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,659 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Why the separate thread?

To be honest I do feel we should keep all the Madden 11 talk to 1 thread.
    +1, in fairness this really belongs in a different forum. One thread here is ok I guess but we don't want to get run over by threads about video games.

*with all the respect in the world to the legend that is John Madden.

• Advertisement

Sorry just thought it would be easier to get peoples attention

Advertisement