Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The one and only refund thread [READ MOD NOTE BEFORE POSTING]!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,271 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

paddy19 wrote: »
    This is Ryanair acting the maggot as usual.

Ryanair want to give the impression that you have to call or chat to reject the voucher so that they can try to get you to accept it.

Per EU261 you only have to request a refund once.
    Will they actually process that though? Are you still in this famous refund queue if you just ignore the vouchers?

(paid by debit card so not sure if chargeback is an option for me)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,144 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Will they actually process that though? Are you still in this famous refund queue if you just ignore the vouchers?

I was explicitly told I was not in the refund queue any more as I hadn't rejected the voucher. Paddy19 says the law says otherwise but I'd rather know I'm in a queue with millions of other people than not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,271 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I was on to them on the chat there, took less than 10 mins to be fair. "I have requested a cash refund instead of your voucher, and you will receive a confirmation email about the rejection of the voucher in 2 days, but it is still valid until your cash refund is processed."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭paddy19

Caranica wrote: »
    I was explicitly told I was not in the refund queue any more as I hadn't rejected the voucher. Paddy19 says the law says otherwise but I'd rather know I'm in a queue with millions of other people than not.

That is outrageous.
    There is no requirement to reject this voucher if you have already requested a refund.
    Ryanair has no legal basis to cancel a legitimate refund request under EU261.

The other problem with the Ryanair queue is that it does not seem to be moving at all.
    If you need your money, the best option at the moment is a chargeback.

Has anyone got a refund from Ryanair since the end of march?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Akabusi

So my outbound flight to Spain at the end of June has been cancelled but the return is still going ahead in early July. I think i read on here before that I can only claim a refund for the outbound flight, is that correct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Akabusi wrote: »
    So my outbound flight to Spain at the end of June has been cancelled but the return is still going ahead in early July. I think i read on here before that I can only claim a refund for the outbound flight, is that correct?

So you would be supposed to fly to Spain separately at some stage to get your original return flight back, its utter bollox isn't it?!!

Hi I tried chargeback with my Ulsterbank debit card and it seems to have been accepted to possibly go ahead on May 5th but I have zero faith in them:

"Hello,

Thanks for your claim against Ryanair. In light of the outbreak of coronavirus, we’re working through a large volume of claims whilst also experiencing high call volumes. Please bear with us and we’d ask that you only call if it’s absolutely critical, as we’ll be in touch with a response by 22/06/2020. Thanks for your continued patience.

Kind regards

Fraud and Chargeback Operations"

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Just read that Aer Lingus are offering free changes on all flights up to September 30 but no further information that I can find. Does anyone know if you did decide to change do you have the option of a voucher or must you change immediately to a flight at a later date? Also, does it have to be the same route? As someone else has pointed out, not much good if you wanted the flight for summer next year as the schedule won't yet be released.

Akabusi wrote: »

If either leg of the flight is cancelled you are entitled to a full refund.

That is outrageous.
    There is no requirement to reject this voucher if you have already requested a refund.
    Ryanair has no legal basis to cancel a legitimate refund request under EU261.

The other problem with the Ryanair queue is that it does not seem to be moving at all.
    If you need your money, the best option at the moment is a chargeback.

Has anyone got a refund from Ryanair since the end of march?

Alexa tells me it's 76 days since my application (11 March). No refund. From my communication with Ryanair they're not processing refunds at all until "the crisis is over". There are potentially millions of people in the queue based on Ryanair's average load.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

I may have been asked already but I applied for my refund a week or so back. Just got an email here offering a voucher, flight swap or refund.

The bit that has me puzzled is this from the mail:
    If you do not wish to accept this voucher option and wish to move your flight or request a refund, please click here to contact us.

Does this mean that my original refund request hasn't gone through.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭limabromac

hairyslug wrote: »
    I may have been asked already but I applied for my refund a week or so back. Just got an email here offering a voucher, flight swap or refund.

The bit that has me puzzled is this from the mail:
    If you do not wish to accept this voucher option and wish to move your flight or request a refund, please click here to contact us.

Does this mean that my original refund request hasn't gone through.

Original queue that you were originally in has now gone once they send this new email....

If you do nothing and you wait a year then the voucher that they have pushed on you gets apparently cash refunded...

For me, I went to the Click here part of the email which leads you haphazardly to the chat option, where you express your disapproval of the voucher and opt to remain in the refund cash queue...they will then say that you will be added to the cash refund Queue but that the voucher will be still valid should you change your mind before they issue the cash refund...

Nobody has received a cash refund from them at all since March....

Rang Open24 Permanent TSB about a charge back on my Ryanair flights.

Chap was friendly and seemed enthusiastic it could be done and I should have the cash in a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Hi I tried chargeback with my Ulsterbank debit card and it seems to have been accepted to possibly go ahead on May 5th but I have zero faith in them:

"Hello,

Thanks for your claim against Ryanair. In light of the outbreak of coronavirus, we’re working through a large volume of claims whilst also experiencing high call volumes. Please bear with us and we’d ask that you only call if it’s absolutely critical, as we’ll be in touch with a response by 22/06/2020. Thanks for your continued patience.

Kind regards

Fraud and Chargeback Operations"

With BOI chargeback (credit card), there was no correspondence. There was, however, a refund to my card within 7 - 14 days of submitting the documents.

BOI are coming out trumps during this pandemic. I normally wouldn't speak too highly of BOI, but credit where it's due in this instance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

I got my money back a month ago via chargeback and yesterday Ryanair emailed me to say that I'm still in the queue for a refund and my voucher is still valid while I wait. So they have no idea I've already got my money back via chargeback. That may cost them even more, I'm sure some people will chance their arm and use the voucher after getting money back via chargeback.

Well done. Anyone who got money back from Ryanair deserves high honour.

Which bank?
    .G. wrote: »
    I'm sure some people will chance their arm and use the voucher after getting money back via chargeback.

Oh, very high risk, you could be refused boarding at any time, on any future flight.

Ryanair's T & C's specifically state:

Article 7 - Refusing to carry a passenger

"You owe us any money in connection with a previous flight as we did not receive the payment for any reason."

Michael O'Leary has a very different attitude when he is owed money. :mad:

Obviously when he owes you money it's a totally different story. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,164 ✭✭✭✭josip

I finally got around to posting my request for an overdue refund to Ryanair today.
    I expect absolutely nothing to come of it, but I want to have a full set of documentation for my BoI charge back request next week.
    When I was addressing the letter to "Ryanair Customer Service Department", I thought that's probably the most oxymoronic thing I'll ever write.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I'm a bit confused by it all, got the flight cancellations email (few weeks ago), clicked on the apply for refund link - filled in all the details required, and (took me a few attempts to submit it) submitted the application. Was told it was successfully submitted.

Then the other day I get an email with voucher blah blah and if I don't want the voucher click here - where there seems to be a load of information on how to use the voucher (I didn't want) and nothing very clear about what I'm supposed to do of I want my cash back.

(I can see from this thread you're supposed to click on the chat function.)

I'm confused though, I thought I already had applied for a cash refund and pretty sure I read somewhere that it would be sent to me in 7 working days (open to correction) now it appears they have issued me a voucher despite me specifically stating I wanted a cash refund, and going through the process of applying for same. Now they're asking me to take a voucher or join a refund queue?

Am I obliged to join this queue does anyone know? I've already expressed my desire to have a cash refund.

Flight cost was just shy of 2k - paid by revolut.

McMurphy wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused by it all, got the flight cancellations email (few weeks ago), clicked on the apply for refund link - filled in all the details required, and (took me a few attempts to submit it) submitted the application. Was told it was successfully submitted.

Then the other day I get an email with voucher blah blah and if I don't want the voucher click here - where there seems to be a load of information on how to use the voucher (I didn't want) and nothing very clear about what I'm supposed to do of I want my cash back.

(I can see from this thread you're supposed to click on the chat function.)

I'm confused though, I thought I already had applied for a cash refund and pretty sure I read somewhere that it would be sent to me in 7 working days (open to correction) now it appears they have issued me a voucher despite me specifically stating I wanted a cash refund, and going through the process of applying for same. Now they're asking me to take a voucher or join a refund queue?

Am I obliged to join this queue does anyone know? I've already expressed my desire to have a cash refund.

Flight cost was just shy of 2k - paid by revolut.

Unfortunately Ryanair has designed this to be a conundrum ...none of it is straight forward .. most people in this thread have had the same confusing question so you are not alone in asking it....

You have already asked for a refund
    You did not ask for a voucher
    Ryanair over ruled this request and sent you a voucher
    The original queue has now disbanded
    If you do nothing you will have to wait until the voucher expires and receive a cash refund apparently automatically

However...if you chat with them and confirm your stance that you still want a refund they will oblige you by confirming that "you are now in the cash refund Queue but that if you change your mind you can still avail of the voucher"
    They will email you this confirmation of chat, they will also send you a generic email which most people have received to confirm that they are in the cash refund Queue...

I would rather have that in my back pocket rather than doing nothing. ..

Your confusion is the same as everyone else's and ryanair lap it up as they designed it this way....

I would like it if this could get stickied somewhere please as it the most common question and confusion that people have .....

Generic cash refund Queue confirmation post refusal of voucher....
    Dear Customer,

I refer to your recent correspondence regarding your booking J9TH6X.

I acknowledge that you do not wish to accept your refund in voucher format at this time and have requested to remain on the cash refund queue. Please note that until such time as you receive your cash refund, your voucher will remain valid and can be used to purchase flights and ancillaries for any future trip you might wish to plan. Please note that our refund processing has been negatively affected by the Covid19 crisis however we will process your refund as soon as possible.

Our priority remains the health and well-being of our people and customers and our communities. Thank you sincerely for your patience and support.

Yours sincerely,
    Ryanair Customer Services

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Jetabroad now told me that they cannot give me money they don't have as Etihad have my money and ar only doing refund in the form of a voucher. It will cost be €50 or so for the pleasure of using this voucher via jetabroad.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Jetabroad now told me that they cannot give me money they don't have as Etihad have my money and ar only doing refund in the form of a voucher. It will cost be €50 or so for the pleasure of using this voucher via jetabroad.

In fairness that's true. Etihad have your money.

I think you can take jetabroad out of the loop and deal directly with Etihad under EU261 which makes the airline liable.
    You should be able to get a voucher directly from them. Save you the €50 charge!

I used Resolver and found it good but that was pre Covid.
    You try to get a refund but it will be a battle.

In fairness that's true. Etihad have your money.

I think you can take jetabroad out of the loop and deal directly with Etihad under EU261 which makes the airline liable.
    You should be able to get a voucher directly from them. Save you the €50 charge!

I used Resolver and found it good but that was pre Covid.
    You try to get a refund but it will be a battle.

I can't contact Etihad. Once I follow the steps and click that I booked via an agent, the next screen just says to contact my agent. End of any possible contact between them and myself.

I wouldn't mind the voucher minus and fees directly with Etihad. Just want to get the hell away form those clowns at Jetabroad. They had no interest in any contact with me until I complained publicly on their Facebook page and have been absolutely horrible to deal with.

Try https://www.resolver.co.uk/ with a claim on Etihad, it's free.
    The initial pushback will be deal with the agent but quote EU261 saying the airline is liable.

Your other option is chargeback, but is going to messy because jetabroad will claim the Etihad have the money.
    But if there're treating you badly, I wouldn't have any sympathy for them, they can work it out with Etihad.

See sticky:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058073208

Try https://www.resolver.co.uk/ with a claim on Etihad, it's free.
    The initial pushback will be deal with the agent but quote EU261 saying the airline is liable.

Your other option is chargeback, but is going to messy because jetabroad will claim the Etihad have the money.
    But if there're treating you badly, I wouldst have any sympathy for them, they can work it out with Etihad.

See sticky:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058073208

Thank you so much. I felt lost with all of this. Revolut are looking into a chargeback for me but they really don't seem to have my money.

So I would happily settle for a voucher with Etihad. We plan to do the trip anyway once it's possible again.

I wouldn't accept one with jetabroad.. especially after saying I'll be charged €50 per person for the pleasure of using their voucher.

Thank you so much. I felt lost with all of this. Revolut are looking into a chargeback for me but they really don't seem to have my money.

So I would happily settle for a voucher with Etihad. We plan to do the trip anyway once it's possible again.

I wouldn't accept one with jetabroad.. especially after saying I'll be charged €50 per person for the pleasure of using their voucher.

UPDATE:

Got hold of Etihad on Facebook messenger.

They said in entitled to a refund but I'd need to do it through Jetabroad.

Hmm this will be tough considering they're adamant that I am according to Etihad NOT eligible for a refund.

Are they simply lying to me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,164 ✭✭✭✭josip

UPDATE:

Hmm this will be tough considering they're adamant that I am according to Etihad NOT eligible for a refund.

Yes, both will try to fob you off with claiming the other is responsible.

josip wrote: »
    Yes, both will try to fob you off with claiming the other is responsible.

Madness.

Etihad told me I need to go through my travel agency for the refund that I'm entitled to.

Jetabroad told me I'm not entitled to a refund as per Etihad rules and send an image from Etihad trying to show that I'm not entitled to any refund.

Absolute madness. I've no idea how Jetabroad will respond to this one. I'll be posting the whole conversation on their Facebook with myself and Etihad and myself an Jetabroad to show that Jetabroad literally lied to me...after that, I don't know what else to try.

A really helpful guy posted a link to me earlier about requesting a refund but it only seems to count for UK countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Glen Erin

Avant chargeback came through yesterday for Ryanair flights. I had started chargeback process on 21/4.

UPDATE:

Lying is a very strong word. All the Airlines are trying to flog vouchers.

If the flight is cancelled you are entitled to a cash refund under EU261 from Etihad.
    Which is all fine in theory but how do you enforce it.

Revolut is a good option if you can make it work.
    They will go after jetabroad since they are the people who originally got your money.

Monksp wrote: »
    Avant chargeback came through yesterday for Ryanair flights. I had started chargeback process on 21/4.

Good on you and avantcard, getting money out of Ryanair is a major achievement. :)

I'll repost this on the chargeback thread if I may.

• Advertisement

Lying is a very strong word. All the Airlines are trying to flog vouchers.

If the flight is cancelled you are entitled to a cash refund under EU261 from Etihad.
    Which is all fine in theory but how do you enforce it.

Revolut is a good option if you can make it work.
    They will go after jetabroad since they are the people who originally got your money.

It's not a strong word when jetabroad said Etihad don't do refunds wheras Etihad have confirmed that Jetabroad a wrong. They lied to me.

Madness.

Etihad told me I need to go through my travel agency for the refund that I'm entitled to.

Jetabroad told me I'm not entitled to a refund as per Etihad rules and send an image from Etihad trying to show that I'm not entitled to any refund.

Absolute madness. I've no idea how Jetabroad will respond to this one. I'll be posting the whole conversation on their Facebook with myself and Etihad and myself an Jetabroad to show that Jetabroad literally lied to me...after that, I don't know what else to try.

A really helpful guy posted a link to me earlier about requesting a refund but it only seems to count for UK countries.

UPDATE:

upon showing jetabroad what Etihad said about being eligible for a full refund, they're now saying that Etihad are allowing refunds just since today...LOL

It's actually funny how pathetic their lies are.

1 more issue, they're charging me £50 per person fee to do the refund. Surely this is something I don't have to allow happen? What could I say to make them backtrack on this too?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭obi604

obi604 wrote: »
    now that my flight home is confirmed cancelled, I chanced doing it via

https://refundclaims.ryanair.com/

I got this message just after I submitted:

"Unfortunately we cannot process your application for one of the following reasons: A previous application has already been submitted for this booking"

Fair enough I suppose as I already did it via the link in the mail when the first flight outbound got cancelled on the 18th May

Hi all,

I put in for my refund on the 18th may. Have not heard a peep since.

Do I wait another bit or is now the time to take the next step.

Is the next step to try and get them on chat to ask them where is my refund etc?

This'll be fun.

IMG-20200527-091252.jpg

Hi all,

I put in for my refund on the 18th may. Have not heard a peep since.

Do I wait another bit or is now the time to take the next step.

Is the next step to try and get them on chat to ask them where is my refund etc?

Next step is you wait, unless you're going to try a chargeback. To put it into some context, I'm waiting since 11 March.

Actually not too bad connected to an agent already

Caranica wrote: »
    Next step is you wait, unless you're going to try a chargeback. To put it into some context, I'm waiting since 11 March.

I thought after 10 days one had to reach out to the airline via chat etc to ask where is my refund, to chase it up and prove you are trying to make an effort at getting teh refund. etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭kenkin

Got an email this morning from RA saying my refund has been sent to my bank. March Flights

kenkin wrote: »
    Got an email this morning from RA saying my refund has been sent to my bank. March Flights

Woah...big news and great news too. What date was your flight in March.. ? We could try and work out the waiting time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭kenkin

24th March. Just waiting on my return flight refund now

• Advertisement

I thought after 10 days one had to reach out to the airline via chat etc to ask where is my refund, to chase it up and prove you are trying to make an effort at getting teh refund. etc

You do not need to chase it up.
    You made a valid refund request under EU261.
    They should simply give your cash.
    It should be automatic within 24 hours like the car rental companies.

They want you to contact them to try to flog you crappy voucher.
    They are not going to move you up in the queue which they have said will be worked after "the crisis is over".

If you want your money anytime soon you should try chargeback.

See chargeback thread:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058069347

You do not need to chase it up.
    You made a valid refund request under EU261.
    They should simply give your cash.
    It should be automatic within 24 hours like the car rental companies.

They want you to contact them to try to flog you crappy voucher.
    They are not going to move you up in the queue which they have said will be worked after "the crisis is over".

If you want your money anytime soon you should try chargeback.

See chargeback thread:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058069347

thanks, I never got an actual email to confirm my refund application went through, so just concerned about this side of things.

in saying this:

I got this message at another point

"Unfortunately we cannot process your application for one of the following reasons: A previous application has already been submitted for this booking"

Fair enough I suppose as I already did it via the link in the mail when the first flight outbound got cancelled on the 18th May

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I just initiated a charge back with BOI yesterday. Not even an acknowledgement of request for a refund. No email to even say they received the request so f**k them . Charge back it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 aisleseat

I've just received an email from Ryanair advising that my refund has been processed and that the travel voucher issued has been voided and can no longer be used.
    To say I'm shocked is an understatement

To clarify, when I received the initial voucher email, I phoned them and advised that I wasn't accepting the voucher and to reinstate the refund request.

I'd given up all hope for a refund for at least 12 months so this is so welcomed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

aisleseat wrote: »
    I've just received an email from Ryanair advising that my refund has been processed and that the travel voucher issued has been voided and can no longer be used.

To clarify, when I received the initial voucher email, I phoned them and advised that I wasn't accepting the voucher and to reinstate the refund request.

I'd given up all hope for a refund for at least 12 months so this is so welcomed

what date were your flights?

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    what date were your flights?

It was a one way flight, March 23rd departure date

Well done...great news flying in (pardon the pun) this morning....what date was your flight...? Another poster had a date of March 24th so they may be doing batches..

limabromac wrote: »
    Well done...great news flying in (pardon the pun) this morning....what date was your flight...? Another poster had a date of March 24th so they may be doing batches..

Great news is right :) .. it was on March 23rd and for an amount of EUR650 so such a relief to get this back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Great news is right :) .. it was on March 23rd and for an amount of EUR650 so such a relief to get this back

jaysis a one way flight with ryanair for 650, were ye going to Mars? :pac:

• Advertisement

Had you instigated a card chargeback or complaint to Flightrights?

Advertisement