Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone tried to get a chargeback for flight cancellation?

Options
  • 11-04-2020 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭

Be very interested to hear from anyone who has tried to get cahargeback with credit card companies for flight cancellation.

Forbes reports:
    Airlines are pushing back on calls to refund customers up to $35 billion for tickets for cancelled flights. While governments in the U.S. and EU have stated that consumers have a right to get their money back, it’s not a straightforward transaction.

In fact, some airlines may not yet have received the cash they are required to refund from the credit card companies that process airline payments.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marisagarcia/2020/04/09/the-airline-refund-35b-tidal-wave-is-complicated-by-credit-card-markets/#e573fce75fa0

If you have recently booked your flights requesting a charge back maybe your best option.

From VISA

If you’ve used your Visa debit or credit card to buy goods or services that haven’t been delivered, or aren’t as you expected, you may be able to get your money back.

As part of Visa’s commitment to consumer protection, we have an established process for banks that can help you in situations like when you’ve made an online purchase and been sent the wrong product and can’t return it, or when your flight is cancelled because an airline goes into administration.

https://www.visa.co.uk/chargeback.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

I would imagine that the bank will refer you back to the airline.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,018 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

PayPal have repeatedly denied my claim

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I had flights refunded without issue a few weeks ago. Are airlines now starting to get slow with refunds because it'll bankrupt them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I had a flight booked with RA for the second of next month to Italy. Received an email from RA allowing me to rebook without the fee any date till the end of August but not in May. Even without the virus no date other than what I had booked would be of any use to me.
    So went to the refund option on the RA app, can't request a refund according to app as the flight has not be cancelled. I think RA are playing silly beggers. I going to request a chargeback from the CC provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭paddy19

"Received an email from RA allowing me to rebook without the fee any date till the end of August but not in May. "

Be very interesting to see what precise wording Ryanair are using in these emails.

You could check on the flight status checker to see if RA are saying it's officially cancelled:

https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/travel-updates/articles/UPDATE-WED-18-MAR

• Advertisement

paddy19 wrote: »
    "Received an email from RA allowing me to rebook without the fee any date till the end of August but not in May. "

Be very interesting to see what precise wording Ryanair are using in these emails.

You could check on the flight status checker to see if RA are saying it's officially cancelled:

https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/travel-updates/articles/UPDATE-WED-18-MAR

A rebooking is all RA are offering in the hope I rebook, I won't be as my original date was all that I could use. The government here has not thrown out the EU 261 directive. Five countries have though.

I had a flight booked with RA for the second of next month to Italy. Received an email from RA allowing me to rebook without the fee any date till the end of August but not in May. Even without the virus no date other than what I had booked would be of any use to me.
    So went to the refund option on the RA app, can't request a refund according to app as the flight has not be cancelled. I think RA are playing silly beggers. I going to request a chargeback from the CC provider.

If you just do nothing and wait will they not be forced to cancel the flight and refund you? Or are they just going fly the plane empty to avoid having to refund anyone?

MadYaker wrote: »
    If you just do nothing and wait will they not be forced to cancel the flight and refund you? Or are they just going fly the plane empty to avoid having to refund anyone?

I think they are hoping I and others will rebook, no option other than a free rebooking within 3 months. I suspect they are lobbying hard to have the 261 directive suspended. I think that would require legislation and with the present situation won't allow new legislation to pass.

They haven't a hope in hell of getting that directive suspended. Is the EU parliament even sitting? If I was you id wait. If it gets to a few days before and no sign of cancellation then take the voucher. But there's no guarantee you'll even be able to fly in August. They are trying to kick the can in the hope that they can avoid refunding somehow.

"The government here has not thrown out the EU 261 directive. Five countries have though."

Thankfully, countries cannot throw out EU directives, despite what some in the media would have you think!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

12 days on after asking Ulster Bank for a chargeback for hotel accommodation and nothing yet. I would imagine flights chargeback refunds are taking as long.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

"The government here has not thrown out the EU 261 directive. Five countries have though."

Thankfully, countries cannot throw out EU directives, despite what some in the media would have you think!

Can i ask where you seen the list of Countries, the reason i ask is i seen an article yesterday in which (i think) mentioned Italy and a few other countries. I read a few days ago Angela in Germany wants to change the rules.
    I wanted to pass the article on but i now cannot find it.

Personally i believe this directive will be changed, there may be legal problems with doing this retrospective but if they decide to do this will happen as they are more concerned about Airlines going under than us individual customers.
    As far as i know the way charge-back works we apply for refund, if we do not get same we contact Bank/Card and start dispute with carrier.
    If they fail to provide same we take dispute to Ombudsman who will be a Government employee who wanted the rule changed in the first place.
    I may be wrong but someone here will know if i am. I think this will run for awhile.

thanks

OP, you cannot apply for refund until the flight cancelled.

My nephew was on a plane a day or two before lockdown, he said there were 6 passengers, he said he only bought the seat a few days before travel, he also said that the reason it flew was for the reasons you mention.

If the flight goes there’s nothing op can do I don’t think.

If the flight goes there’s nothing op can do I don’t think.

Make sure not to miss same...

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

My flight to UK with RA got cancelled by them on 21/3/20, the cancellation email allowed me apply for a refund there and then, so I did.
    No refund has happened but I have had 2 emails since then both telling me that they are very busy, will action the refund when they get to it but not to re-apply or my initial request could be cancelled?? It's easier to get blood out of a stone than a refund from RA in my experience.

whatswhat wrote: »
    My flight to UK with RA got cancelled by them on 21/3/20, the cancellation email allowed me apply for a refund there and then, so I did.
    No refund has happened but I have had 2 emails since then both telling me that they are very busy, will action the refund when they get to it but not to re-apply or my initial request could be cancelled?? It's easier to get blood out of a stone than a refund from RA in my experience.

You'll be waiting till Covid has "abated" before you get your refund from Ryanair.

Michael can't give you a refund because his financial authorisers can't work from home.

He can't get one his 300 software developers to program an automatic refund process.

He must be hiring some pretty dumb software developers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Yeah it's bullsh!t they can't sort a software solution for it. I started a chargeback but my provider said I have to give Ryanair 30 working days from the date of the refund application which was 21/3 so just waiting now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

I've €968 worth of flights from Emirates (via an Irish online travel agent) which they won't refund. I'm about to send off everything to AIB. Am I right to try this method first before going down the VHI multiptrip route? I have an add on which means I don't have to pay excess.

.G. wrote: »
    Yeah it's bullsh!t they can't sort a software solution for it. I started a chargeback but my provider said I have to give Ryanair 30 working days from the date of the refund application which was 21/3 so just waiting now.

According to Visa the times are in calendar days not working days.

https://chargeback.com/visa-chargeback-time-limits/

30 calendar days is plenty for a response, only the good old EU demands areasonable response time of 7 days.

• Advertisement

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I've €968 worth of flights from Emirates (via an Irish online travel agent) which they won't refund. I'm about to send off everything to AIB. Am I right to try this method first before going down the VHI multiptrip route? I have an add on which means I don't have to pay excess.

A lot of insurance changed policies to eliminate claims for Covid. Hopefully you have earlier Terms and conditions but the 29 March version is very restrictive.

"The cancellation must be as a result of Strike or Industrial Action (of which You were unaware at the time You made travel arrangements for the Trip), adverse weather conditions, or the mechanical breakdown of, or accident involving, the aircraft, sea vessel, coach or train."

https://www.vhi.ie/pdf/products/MultiTrip%20Rules_29Mar19_MHMT33.pdf

A lot of insurance changed policies to eliminate claims for Covid. Hopefully you have earlier Terms and conditions but the 29 March version is very restrictive.

"The cancellation must be as a result of Strike or Industrial Action (of which You were unaware at the time You made travel arrangements for the Trip), adverse weather conditions, or the mechanical breakdown of, or accident involving, the aircraft, sea vessel, coach or train."

https://www.vhi.ie/pdf/products/MultiTrip%20Rules_29Mar19_MHMT33.pdf

I paid my annual premium back in July 2019 so I should be OK there I assume??

whatswhat wrote: »

I got an email saying that they will refund. I had to fill out an online form.

Then I got an identical email asking for the same information. I was wondering if this was a separate email for the Return portion of my flight.

I decided to fill it in and send it off. Then I got an error message.

So I don't know if I am getting a refund for both legs of my flight.

I got an email saying that they will refund. I had to fill out an online form.

Then I got an identical email asking for the same information. I was wondering if this was a separate email for the Return portion of my flight.

I decided to fill it in and send it off. Then I got an error message.

So I don't know if I am getting a refund for both legs of my flight.

The refund covers both legs.

Don't give them any ideas!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

According to Visa the times are in calendar days not working days.

https://chargeback.com/visa-chargeback-time-limits/

30 calendar days is plenty for a response, only the good old EU demands areasonable response time of 7 days.

Mine is Mastercard. I agree with you though, the email said 5-7 days, its been way longer than that already.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I paid my annual premium back in July 2019 so I should be OK there I assume??

With insurance companies I would never assume anything except they will try to get out of paying you if they can!

You need to luck at the policy you got in the policy email.

12 days on after asking Ulster Bank for a chargeback for hotel accommodation and nothing yet. I would imagine flights chargeback refunds are taking as long.

Rang Ulster bank......still nothing on their system......in the meantime I had put pressure on the Spanish Hotel chain (Melia) and managed to get a cash refund.

Rang Ulster Bank credit card company.....still asleep and nothing progressed....about 20 days on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

I applied for a refund on 17/03/20 got a cancelled flight that was due to depart 20/03/20, nothing but the run around from Ryanair so far so I put in a chargeback request today. I included screenshots from my original correspondence from them advising I would get my refund within 7 days. So I'll see how this goes

https://aviationnews.online/2020/03/30/ryanair-can-last-a-year-without-flying-sits-on-pile-of-cash/

They are sitting on a pile of cash. They have cancelled our flights and now they won't give us back our money. Nice one Ryanair.

• Advertisement

Anyone have any joy with chargeback? 9 days since I posted everything to AIB. Nothing yet.

Advertisement