Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The one and only refund thread [READ MOD NOTE BEFORE POSTING]!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

funkyouup wrote: »
    Just heard back from Small claims court

Odd, EU are insisting that airlines refund, why would they take that approach?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭paddy19

Just heard back from Small claims court

Typical Ryanair. Delay, delay, delay.

Be very interesting to see what they are disputing.

Reuters report seeing EU document.
    Not official yet, but looking good.

"...... the law that protects customers regarding their travel rights is not suspended

and the new guidance is not legally binding,

meaning it is up to the consumer to accept a voucher or full cash refund. "

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-health-coronavirus-eu-travel/eu-to-recommend-airlines-travel-firms-offer-vouchers-valid-for-at-least-a-year-idUKKBN22N2JS

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Tippgirl74

I just want to record my experience of booking a fully refundable transfer with hoppa, for a holiday in Tenerife. Hoppa then refused to issue a cash refund. Voucher only. A credit refund was the term used! 5 emails to hoppa...no joy!! I opened a dispute which was successfully resolved by PayPal. Full refund to be made to me in cash!! It's a very simple process on PayPal. Also remember credit card chargeback if that's how you paid!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭JTMan

PayPal, N26 and Bank of Ireland are coming out shining out of this. I will remember to choose pay by PayPal the next time I'm booking a holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

I'm fed up with this whole situation now, stuck at home the whole lot and now this refund situation is really bothering me. I paid with an AIB credit card and now the SCC hasn't come through. Had a feeling ryanair would leave it till the last day then try something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭limabromac

I'm fed up with this whole situation now, stuck at home the whole lot and now this refund situation is really bothering me. I paid with an AIB credit card and now the SCC hasn't come through. Had a feeling ryanair would leave it till the last day then try something like this.

I'm so sorry for ya. It's very withering and it's not fair...the only solace that I take from this is that we are all in the same boat and at when the day comes when we do get our refund then hopefully there will a little cheer around Ireland...many people worse off out there and I wouldn't wish for ryanair to go under but MOL definitely knows how to push people's buttons...

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

It isnt the SCC's fault ryanair want to dispute the claims against them. I certainly wont be backing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭irbx

Hi all Just recieved this afternoon SCC that Ryanair was disputing the claim and that I have not providing any backing up proof. The SCC does not allow me to update information to site . So will have to conatct to see how i can upload my file of email and webchat windows for hours on end.

Strangly do 4 days ago go email form them to acknowledge that I want to stay in the refund queue and while i was waiting for the refund could use the credit voucher and unused balance would be returned to me.

irbx wrote: »
    Hi all Just recieved this afternoon SCC that Ryanair was disputing the claim and that I have not providing any backing up proof. The SCC does not allow me to update information to site . So will have to conatct to see how i can upload my file of email and webchat windows for hours on end.

Strangly do 4 days ago go email form them to acknowledge that I want to stay in the refund queue and while i was waiting for the refund could use the credit voucher and unused balance would be returned to me.

i dont think you can change what you have already submitted, were you asked by the Small claims court if you wanted to proceed, or withdraw the claim?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Got same as well just before 17:00.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Tippgirl74 wrote: »
    I just want to record my experience of booking a fully refundable transfer with hoppa, for a holiday in Tenerife. Hoppa then refused to issue a cash refund. Voucher only. A credit refund was the term used! 5 emails to hoppa...no joy!! I opened a dispute which was successfully resolved by PayPal. Full refund to be made to me in cash!! It's a very simple process on PayPal. Also remember credit card chargeback if that's how you paid!!

I had a similar experience. I used a Bank Of Ireland credit card to book a transfer with Hoppa in Spain just when the lockdowns were starting to take effect and flights were being cancelled.
    I raised a service ticket with Hoppa to ask if I could change my travel dates. Despite their webform claiming I would receive a reply within 24 hours, it took them almost a week to do so and they refused my request.
    I submitted a chargeback and the money was refunded to my account about two weeks later.

Take a bow, Bank Of Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭irbx

i dont think you can change what you have already submitted, were you asked by the Small claims court if you wanted to proceed, or withdraw the claim?

Yes these are I options I given

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Yes.

you'll win no doubt,ryanair surely haven't a leg to stand on here.

Phoned Aer Lingus today after reports in this thread that a phone call now works to get a refund processed.

Aer Lingus told me that the refunds department emailed me on 12 May with "correspondence". They didn't email me and the call centre staff could not tell me what was in the correspondance. I don't know whether this is more lies or incompetence or whether a refund is coming.

Meanwhile, the courts day count is on day 14 and still no reply from Aer Lingus. I will ring the SCC tomorrow if I do not hear from the SCC.

JTMan wrote: »
    Phoned Aer Lingus today after reports in this thread that a phone call now works to get a refund processed.

Aer Lingus told me that the refunds department emailed me on 12 May with "correspondence". They didn't email me and the call centre staff could not tell me what was in the correspondance. I don't know whether this is more lies or incompetence or whether a refund is coming.

Meanwhile, the courts day count is on day 14 and still no reply from Aer Lingus. I will ring the SCC tomorrow if I do not hear from the SCC.

It'll be very interesting to see if AL dispute the case as Ryanair seem to be disputing the SCC ...

Yes these are I options I given

You probably got the same scare tactic response that was sent my way, its you're personal choice whether to move forward or not but i didnt pay the small claims court just to send them a letter and hope they backed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ankaragucu

Has anyone whose flight was up in the air (pardon the pun) and who were waiting it out for it to be cancelled actually had the flight go??
    What is the position then?Aer Lingus seem to only be cancelling flights very late in the day, like 2/3 days before hand.Whats the best way of approaching this if you have decided that you wont be travelling.?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

ankaragucu wrote: »
    Has anyone whose flight was up in the air (pardon the pun) and who were waiting it out for it to be cancelled actually had the flight go??
    What is the position then?Aer Lingus seem to only be cancelling flights very late in the day, like 2/3 days before hand.Whats the best way of approaching this if you have decided that you wont be travelling.?
    Thanks.

I suppose if you have decided you are not travelling, you have the "luxury" to wait for the last minute for AL to cancel.
    Bit crap on their part as what if there was someone who was actually planning to take a flight to get somewhere and it got cancelled that late

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭R.F.

I have 3 nights in the Gresham at end of June we had booked for a couple of concerts in town via Hotels.com It was non refundable. But they are refunding all customers even for non refundable up until May 31st. They still have not updated for June yet so I am getting a little worried

Apart from that we had 2 weeks in Mexico for start of June via TUI and have found them to be very good. Full refund is approved, although still waiting on the cash to land back into my account

• Advertisement

4:30 PM on Day 14 and Aer Lingus finally reply faced with a deadline.

Aer Lingus have disputed my claim on the basis that I raised a chargeback.

Here is what Aer Lingus solicitors said:
    "The Claimant herein is not eligible for a refund as sought for in their application since
    the Claimant (or the card holder from which the flight tickets were purchased) has
    raised a chargeback which has been initiated by the concerned bank on the
    Respondent. A copy of the correspondence received from the bank is attached in the
    email."

Here is what the court said:
    "I am forwarding a Notice of Dispute that I have received from Aer Lingus.
    As they will not agree to pay your claim do you want to withdraw your claim or do you want it to proceed to a Court hearing ?
    Please note the following points regarding a Court hearing ;
    1. you must attend the hearing in person (go to WWW.COURTS.IE and refer to Small Claims Procedure and Failure to Resolve a Claim)
    2. you will have to pay your own expenses associated with attending the Court hearing (go to WWW.COURTS.IE and refer to Small Claims Procedure then Introduction and Types of Claims Dealt with)
    3. it is not possible to choose your own hearing date."

Nowhere in the correspondance with Aer Lingus does it say that they will pay out on the chargeback and I have not got my money back from the charge back.

What should I do? Dispute the claim and proceed with a court hearing on the basis that Aer Lingus have not paid out on the charge back?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ankaragucu

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    I suppose if you have decided you are not travelling, you have the "luxury" to wait for the last minute for AL to cancel.
    Bit crap on their part as what if there was someone who was actually planning to take a flight to get somewhere and it got cancelled that late

Absolutely true aswell Lex.We're due to fly June 17th with AL but as per the government's phased re opening plan we wont be going.Would make life much easier for us all if AL followed the government's plans too.I know they want to hold on to customers money for as long as possible but I wouldnt even mind if you had to wait a while before you could apply for a refund from them, so long as they notified you well in advance that your flight was cancelled.It would be better than this game of who blinks first they seem intent on playing.

4:30 PM on Day 14 and Aer Lingus finally reply faced with a deadline.

Aer Lingus have disputed my claim on the basis that I raised a chargeback.

Here is what Aer Lingus solicitors said:
    "The Claimant herein is not eligible for a refund as sought for in their application since
    the Claimant (or the card holder from which the flight tickets were purchased) has
    raised a chargeback which has been initiated by the concerned bank on the
    Respondent. A copy of the correspondence received from the bank is attached in the
    email."

Here is what the court said:
    "I am forwarding a Notice of Dispute that I have received from Aer Lingus.
    As they will not agree to pay your claim do you want to withdraw your claim or do you want it to proceed to a Court hearing ?
    Please note the following points regarding a Court hearing ;
    1. you must attend the hearing in person (go to WWW.COURTS.IE and refer to Small Claims Procedure and Failure to Resolve a Claim)
    2. you will have to pay your own expenses associated with attending the Court hearing (go to WWW.COURTS.IE and refer to Small Claims Procedure then Introduction and Types of Claims Dealt with)
    3. it is not possible to choose your own hearing date."

Nowhere in the correspondance with Aer Lingus does it say that they will pay out on the chargeback and I have not got my money back from the charge back.

What should I do? Dispute the claim and proceed with a court hearing on the basis that Aer Lingus have not paid out on the charge back?

Thanks.

Because you have tried to get your money back through every legal avenue available to you they have decided to dispute it... that's not on...I would follow up with a call to your bank (hope it's not AIB) and a letter to finance ombudsman....boi are very quick at giving the chargeback..aib have said there is no timeframe...

limabromac wrote: »
    Because you have tried to get your money back through every legal avenue available to you they have decided to dispute it... that's not on...I would follow up with a call to your bank (hope it's not AIB) and a letter to finance ombudsman....boi are very quick at giving the chargeback..aib have said there is no timeframe...

Yeah, it is not on. It is also not on that Aer Lingus would not just simply explain that they will pay out on the charge back. More excuses and games.

My bank is Revolut but Aer Lingus use AIB UK Merchant Services on their side so the chargeback seems to be stuck with AIB UK because Aer Lingus have not given an okay to AIB UK to refund the money to Revolut.

I would appreciate a few peoples thoughts as to whether I should proceed to court action.

Aer Lingus disputed my claim saying I hadn't proof of refund request even thought I had included the AL case reference number they give you for a refund request.

I forwarded a copy of the case reference email to registrar and he sent it to AL and they paid up.

I wouldn't worry about uploading. The SCC is much looser than a normal court. I think the registrar has to be careful to not be seen to take sides.

I'd just email the AL email saying you are in the refund queue to the registrar.

Yeah, it is not on. It is also not on that Aer Lingus would not just simply explain that they will pay out on the charge back. More excuses and games.

My bank is Revolut but I have just discovered today that Revolut use AIB for chargebacks in Ireland. Hence, I am left with the worst bank in Ireland, AIB, for chargebacks so I have no confidence that AIB will action.

I would appreciate a few peoples thoughts as to whether I should proceed to court action.

So your 25 down if you don't continue. Plus the cost of the flight whilst waiting for the refund...the court is in swords so depending on travel, day off, expenses etc it would be up to you..however if it was me, I would continue and these would be my reasons.

1. You've definitely got a solid case

2. You have all documents etc

3. You have dates when you contacted revelut to initiate a chargeback. All of which can be backed up.

4. You have the eu on your side with their ruling yesterday.

My bank is Revolut but I have just discovered today that Revolut use AIB for chargebacks in Ireland. Hence, I am left with the worst bank in Ireland, AIB, for chargebacks so I have no confidence that AIB will action.

I think Aer Lingus seem to want to settle in the SCC but will try to find an excuse if they can.

Ryanair are playing the delay game by disputing everything from what we can see here.
    They probably will wait till the last minute and then pay up.
    So it could take a while given that the courts are closed.
    But at least they have to engage those expensive legal eagles if you pursue them in the SCC.

Feck them I'd be inclined go after them on flightrights.ie as well as cashback.

The only problem is it's eating up limited consumer resources for other folk.

Thanks guys.

I have just replied to the SCC and told the SCC that I want to proceed to a court hearing against Aer Lingus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭lensman

just got this from click&go,
    "On F riday 8th May, the Cabinet approved measures whereby the Government agreed to provide a State Guarantee for Refund Credit Notes issued by Irish Licensed Travel Agents and Tour Operators. We are awaiting further details on the scheme which we expect to receive this week. As previously advised, our intention is to be in a position to commence the refund process later this month." so what they are saying is they are following govt instructions on this even though the EU commissioner yesterday said she'll take govts to court who are not inforcing the cash refund law AL have already cancelled my 18th May flights

• Advertisement

lensman wrote: »
    just got this from click&go,
    "On F riday 8th May, the Cabinet approved measures whereby the Government agreed to provide a State Guarantee for Refund Credit Notes issued by Irish Licensed Travel Agents and Tour Operators. We are awaiting further details on the scheme which we expect to receive this week. As previously advised, our intention is to be in a position to commence the refund process later this month." so what they are saying is they are following govt instructions on this even though the EU commissioner yesterday said she'll take govts to court who are not inforcing the cash refund law AL have already cancelled my 18th May flights

In fairness to click&go they may be waiting for the government scheme
    so that they can offer you a state guaranteed voucher.

But in spite of Ross and Humphreys we still have the right to full cash refund.

Thanks to the EU commission not our own TD's in the Dail
    who sell out the Irish consumer at every opportunity.

Advertisement