Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The one and only refund thread [READ MOD NOTE BEFORE POSTING]!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭paddy19

JTMan wrote: »
    4:30 PM on Day 14 and Aer Lingus finally reply faced with a deadline.

Aer Lingus have disputed my claim on the basis that I raised a chargeback.

Here is what Aer Lingus solicitors said:
    "The Claimant herein is not eligible for a refund as sought for in their application since
    the Claimant (or the card holder from which the flight tickets were purchased) has
    raised a chargeback which has been initiated by the concerned bank on the
    Respondent. A copy of the correspondence received from the bank is attached in the
    email."

Here is what the court said:
    "I am forwarding a Notice of Dispute that I have received from Aer Lingus.
    As they will not agree to pay your claim do you want to withdraw your claim or do you want it to proceed to a Court hearing ?
    Please note the following points regarding a Court hearing ;
    1. you must attend the hearing in person (go to WWW.COURTS.IE and refer to Small Claims Procedure and Failure to Resolve a Claim)
    2. you will have to pay your own expenses associated with attending the Court hearing (go to WWW.COURTS.IE and refer to Small Claims Procedure then Introduction and Types of Claims Dealt with)
    3. it is not possible to choose your own hearing date."

Nowhere in the correspondence with Aer Lingus does it say that they will pay out on the chargeback and I have not got my money back from the charge back.

What should I do? Dispute the claim and proceed with a court hearing on the basis that Aer Lingus have not paid out on the charge back?

Thanks.

These yahoos are grasping at straws.
    It is up to them to OK the chargeback.

I'd say go for court hearing, obviously depending on your location and circumstance.

You could also email the Registrar and ask him to forward your request to AL:

That AL provide evidence that they have ok'd the chargeback.
    That you have as yet have not received any refund from AL or your bank.
    Should you receive such a refund you will of course withdraw the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭lensman

paddy19 wrote: »
    In fairness to click&go they may be waiting for the government scheme
    so that they can offer you a state guaranteed voucher.

But in spite of Ross and Humphreys we still have the right to full cash refund.

Thanks to the EU commission not our own TD's in the Dail
    who sell out the Irish consumer at every opportunity.
    if I lived near Ross I'd knock on his door & ask him to refund me from his pocket, seriously

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

My wife booked a weekend away for Easter with Lastminute.com. This included flights with Ryan Air and hotel. Lastminute cancelled the trip due to covid.

Today she got 3 refund options
    Firstly Vouchers which amounted to 100 euro more than the 950 she paid for the holiday with the option to take a cash refund within 6 months if the credit is not used. Credit seems valid for 12 months including Summer 2021
    Second option was a voucher refund of 950 which she payed for the Holiday with no option of cash refund. Valid for 12 months again including Summer 2021 apparently
    Third option was a cash refund of 880 but Terms and Conditions are a bit vague mentioning vouchers from providers which in this case would be the hotel and Ryan Air.

Just wondering has anyone chosen the third option and actually got cash back to the amount in the agreement??

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭ronano

I'm asking this question on the off chance because I don't want another endless go around with revolut, has anyone contacted revolut concerning refund for ryanair flight since the eu commissions statement? when I first contacted them they said a charge back wouldn't be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Apologies if I've missed it here but haven't seen it mentioned - on Facebook have seen multiple reports of people threatening chargebacks on Ryanair being told by the airline that they will be banned from future travel if they do, and that any such chargebacks are fraudalent! Have seen the screenshots to prove it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭eltonyio

Another scare tactic no doubt. There's not a hope in hell MOL would pay for the design of a system which would refuse to take people's money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Apologies if I've missed it here but haven't seen it mentioned - on Facebook have seen multiple reports of people threatening chargebacks on Ryanair being told by the airline that they will be banned from future travel if they do, and that any such chargebacks are fraudalent! Have seen the screenshots to prove it too.

That would be completely illegal of them to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Thanks guys.

I have just replied to the SCC and told the SCC that I want to proceed to a court hearing against Aer Lingus.

good man let us know how it goes, my scc claim is into it's 9th day now so im expecting ryanair to probably come out with the same,ill happily go to court if need be,they haven't a leg to stand on.

I'm on Day 16 now with SCC. No update from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

eltonyio wrote: »
    I'm on Day 16 now with SCC. No update from them.

15 days from Flightrights complaint and 10 from Ulsterbank Debit card chargeback, no news yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Yesterday, after Aer Lingus told me that they were disputing my claim, because I raised a chargeback, but did not answer if they would okay the chargeback, I replied to the SCC and said I want to proceed with court action because Aer Lingus have not paid out on the chargeback/refund.

Today, the SCC (good people) replied and suggested that they forward my email to Aer Lingus solicitors to see if Aer Lingus are okay-ing the chargeback. The SCC did this.

Aer Lingus solicitors replied with this:
    "The Respondent’s revenue team is already dealing with this claim as the Claimant has initiated parallel ‘charge-back’ dispute procedure via his bank. The Respondents received notification of this bank dispute on 6th May and have two weeks to present a defence of the claim. In the present instance, the Respondent has accepted the charge-back and is awaiting debit. Please note that the charge-back amount is automatically debited into the Claimant’s bank account if no defence is relied by Respondents."

Aer Lingus solicitors also attached a letter from AIB Merchant Bank in the UK telling Aer Lingus that AIB would "defend" the claim for Aer Lingus if provided with documents.

(AIB seem to act for Aer Lingus rather than acting for Revolut in hindsight).

Anyway, in English, the reply seems to imply that Aer Lingus are in the process of okay-ing the chargeback.

I have told the SCC to put my court case on hold for another week to see if the chargeback materialises.

I have easily cost Aer Lingus more in admin and legal costs than the cost of the flights.

The saga continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭limabromac

Yesterday, after Aer Lingus told me that they were disputing my claim, because I raised a chargeback, but did not answer if they would okay the chargeback, I replied to the SCC and said I want to proceed with court action because Aer Lingus have not paid out on the chargeback/refund.

Today, the SCC (good people) replied and suggested that they forward my email to Aer Lingus solicitors to see if Aer Lingus are okay-ing the chargeback. The SCC did this.

Aer Lingus solicitors replied with this:
    "The Respondent’s revenue team is already dealing with this claim as the Claimant has initiated parallel ‘charge-back’ dispute procedure via his bank. The Respondents received notification of this bank dispute on 6th May and have two weeks to present a defence of the claim. In the present instance, the Respondent has accepted the charge-back and is awaiting debit. Please note that the charge-back amount is automatically debited into the Claimant’s bank account if no defence is relied by Respondents."

Aer Lingus solicitors also attached a letter from AIB Merchant Bank in the UK telling Aer Lingus that AIB would "defend" the claim for Aer Lingus if provided with documents.

(AIB seem to act for Aer Lingus rather than acting for Revolut in hindsight).

Anyway, in English, the reply seems to imply that Aer Lingus are in the process of okay-ing the chargeback.

I have told the SCC to put my court case on hold for another week to see if the chargeback materialises.

I have easily cost Aer Lingus more in admin and legal costs than the cost of the flights.

The saga continues.

Fair play JTM and the SCC... That's a great service there have provided there to you by finding all that info out... They have no right to keep your money but they will try everything they can to keep it until you go looking for it...it gives everyone hope that chargeback and the court system works, you just have to keep pursuing it... Happy Friday...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

What's the story with people going the SCC route? Is this just for a standard refund request that the airlines aren't paying out on despite them cancelling the flight?

I've over a grand refund request with AL where they cancelled the flight. I just filled out the form on their site and got a mail of a case number. I'm in no major rush but I don't want to risk not getting money back. Should I start with some of the approaches mentioned in this thread? Or islt best to give it a period of time? I only requested refund this week.

limabromac wrote: »
    Fair play JTM and the SCC... That's a great service there have provided there to you by finding all that info out... They have no right to keep your money but they will try everything they can to keep it until you go looking for it...it gives everyone hope that chargeback and the court system works, you just have to keep pursuing it... Happy Friday...

Well played limabromac.
    Well played SCC!
    I'll update the guide with a section on what to do if the Airline disputes the claim.

Be great if you out the AIB letter up here, or in the SCC thread, so we can see
    what they were at with "we will support Aer Lingus" to defend the case!

One of the great things about the SCC it forces documents out in the open
    so we get past the happy clappy bank and airline ads.

Apologies if I've missed it here but haven't seen it mentioned - on Facebook have seen multiple reports of people threatening chargebacks on Ryanair being told by the airline that they will be banned from future travel if they do, and that any such chargebacks are fraudulent! Have seen the screenshots to prove it too.

Wow, if true, that is unbelievable.

Can you copy links /screenshots here?

What's the story with people going the SCC route? Is this just for a standard refund request that the airlines aren't paying out on despite them cancelling the flight?

I've over a grand refund request with AL where they cancelled the flight. I just filled out the form on their site and got a mail of a case number. I'm in no major rush but I don't want to risk not getting money back. Should I start with some of the approaches mentioned in this thread? Or islt best to give it a period of time? I only requested refund this week.

If you're not in a hurry, sit tight.
    The airlines debt to you is enforceable for up to six years.
    Hopefully it won't take that long :).

You will get your money eventually.
    The only tiny risk is AL going bankrupt.

Aer Lingus is in very good financial shape.

This is from Reddit. 28 days ago... Interesting for a read with lots of responses.

Link

https://www.reddit.com/r/UKPersonalFinance/comments/g3kbpo/ryanair_threatened_to_ban_me_if_i_request_a/

HonestB128d

Ryanair threatened to ban me if I request a chargeback
    A little bit of context: my flight was cancelled due to COVID19, I filled in the form to request a cash refund approximately a month ago and until yesterday the only emails that I had gotten were saying that I had to wait as there was a high number of refunds that needed to be processed.

Yesterday, a few hours after reading this post, I got a similar email, basically saying, we have ignored your request for a cash refund and we are giving you a voucher. If you want a cash refund, speak to us on the chat.

After waiting in the queue of the chat. I get the following message regarding why I haven't been offered a refund and why they can't tell me when it will happen:

"Please note that as our payment agents are required to stay at home in the fight against the COVID-19 pandemic, payment security restrictions prevent us from processing cash refunds until the COVID-19 crisis has abated. Your voucher will be valid until the refund is paid"

I answer that I will then issue a chargeback to which he answers:

"In case you do issue a charge-back through your bank account you might be banned from Ryanair, I am afraid. I advise you to wait until the refund is processed."

I don't really want to be banned from Ryanair, do you guys think they will actually go through the ban?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,068 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

OmegaGene wrote: »
    right so ryanair just cancelled my outbound and return flights to gran canaria for june and sent me the usual email giving me the option of processing a refund or changing dates, i paid with paypal and going by the replies ryanair are giving people would i be better off opening a case with paypal rather than waiting 20 days to get a silly voucher option ?

PayPal are inconsistent. Some people have had refunds, some haven't. Worth a try though.

right so ryanair just cancelled my outbound and return flights to gran canaria for june and sent me the usual email giving me the option of processing a refund or changing dates, i paid with paypal and going by the replies ryanair are giving people would i be better off opening a case with paypal rather than waiting 20 days to get a silly voucher option ?

It's your choice... Open the case. Dispute with SCC. Start a flightrights claim .. wait for voucher...

either way welcome to the club....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Have a flight to Brussels on the 29th via Ryanair, surely that has to be cancelled?

They amended the departure time, makes no sense, not everyone lives 5km from Swords!

should i request a refund from ryanair and paypal at the same time ?
    i have not done anything since the email came in

Per EU 261 You have to request a refund before you can do anything else.
    Keep a record of the accepted request.

Lots of choices have a look at my guide.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058073208

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

paddy19 wrote: »
    Be great if you out the AIB letter up here, or in the SCC thread, so we can see
    what they were at with "we will support Aer Lingus" to defend the case!

Sure, letter below from AIB Merchant Services to Aer Lingus.

AIB sent this letter to Aer Lingus after I raised a chargeback request with Revolut.

AIB provide merchant services to Aer Lingus.

AIB are willing to "defend" Aer Lingus. Not even a question to Aer Lingus asking if the chargeback is valid. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

"Dear Sir/Madam,

We have received an enquiry from a cardholder's bank disputing the above transaction Your business bank account has been debated for the value of the transaction. To help us successfully defend this dispute on your behalf can you provide us with the following information please:

A copy of the terminal receipt (or a signed voucher if this was a manual voucher)

Any other relevant information you might have to help us respond to the query

Please let us know if you have already processed a refund for this transaction

The easiest way to respond is to email the details above with a copy of this letter to chargebacks@aibms.com or you can fax your response to +353 1247 6486 within 10 business days of this letter.

Based on the information that you supply we will do our best to defend this chargeback dispute for you. If we are successful, the value of the transaction will then be credited to your business bank account. You will be charged an administration fee for handling this charge back dispute.

If you have any questions about this better we'd be happy to help Please contact our Chargeback Team on (ROI) 01 247 6483 or (UK) 01268 288981 or log onto to access our Chargeback Handbook.

Yours faithfully"

AIB sent this letter to Aer Lingus after I raised a chargeback request with Revolut.

AIB are willing to "defend" Aer Lingus. Not even a question to Aer Lingus asking if the chargeback is valid. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

"Dear Sir/Madam,

We have received an enquiry from a cardholder's bank disputing the above transaction Your business bank account has been debated for the value of the transaction. To help us successfully defend this dispute on your behalf can you provide us with the following information please:

A copy of the terminal receipt (or a signed voucher if this was a manual voucher)

The easiest way to respond is to email the details above with a copy of this letter to chargebacks@aibms.com or you can fax your response to +353 1247 6486 within 10 business days of this letter.

Based on the information that you supply we will do our best to defend this chargeback dispute for you. If we are successful, the value of the transaction will then be credited to your business bank account. You will be charged an administration fee for handling this charge back dispute.

If you have any questions about this better we'd be happy to help Please contact our Chargeback Team on (ROI) 01 247 6483 or (UK) 01268 288981 or log onto to access our Chargeback Handbook.

Yours faithfully"

Total crap..!!!! Taking the side of a business over this when all their ads on tv, and the law, mind you, is on the customers side....

Sickening.....

"Dear Sir/Madam,

Yours faithfully"

""Based on the information that you supply we will do our best to defend this chargeback dispute for you.""

I'm guessing that Visa international wouldn't be happy with this approach aswell as they have clear rules of why/when and how chargeback is disputed ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭hairyslug

i attempted several times to process the refund from the link ryanair sent and it kept failing telling me to try again later, and eventually is came up saying theres already a request being processed but i didnt get an email to cinfirm

strange set up on the website

getting exactly the same here, came on to ask the same question. Are others getting an email to confirm its gone through

i attempted several times to process the refund from the link ryanair sent and it kept failing telling me to try again later, and eventually is came up saying theres already a request being processed but i didnt get an email to cinfirm

strange set up on the website

If you can grab a screenshot of the "theres already a request being processed "
    that proves that you have made the refund request.

They don't send out a new email confirmed that you request is the queue.
    Which of course is what they should do!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Just got my email aswell from Ryanair confirming both outbound & return flights to Fuerteventura (6th Jun & 20th Jun) are cancelled and to click on link to request refund

Surprised it went all the way through without crashing or being redirected

I got the confirmation page that my request was complete and this was the final line

"Once approved your refund request will be processed within 20 working days to the original form of payment and should show in your account within the next 5-7 working days. A confirmation email will be sent to the address provided in your booking"

So the most important 2 words that are vague are.......
    Once approved - could be anywhere from today to infinity

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭foxirl

"Dear Sir/Madam,

Yours faithfully"

Is AIB your bank. Reading the letter it sounds as if it's Ryanairs bank and they were contacted by your back about the chargeback. If so I could understand them defending it. If it's your bank then it's absolutely disgraceful.

• Advertisement

foxirl wrote: »
    Is AIB your bank. Reading the letter it sounds as if it's Ryanairs bank and they were contacted by your back about the chargeback. If so I could understand them defending it. If it's your bank then it's absolutely disgraceful.

Hopefully that's the case...Looks a bit better if AIB are Aerlingus' bank as they would have to defend the chargeback...got a bit ahead of myself with giving out straight away about AIB..

Advertisement