Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where would you go next...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Great choice Wailin.
    What I would have gone for too.
    Much movement from the dealer on price?
    How are they to deal with in comparison to their southern counterparts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Not much movement really. £250 off plus m performance grills included which are £250. Full tank of fuel. I didn't expect much off at all with the price they had it at.

As regards how they compare to southern dealers, depends on what dealers! Any deal without a trade is a much smoother process anyway. It's a small family run bmw dealer but had a lovely showroom and its in the middle of nowhere! I thought the gps was bringing around in circles trying to get there.

The test drive was unusual as the sales rep drove ahead of me and I followed him! He was in a 2020 portimao blue g20 touring and I have to say, they are a handsome car in the metal.

Only a 12 month warranty unlike the 2 year we get down south.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Nice choice, best of luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

That's fantastic, best of luck with it, and feck the Greens anyway! Glad you stuck with the six cylinders also :D:D! Of course, it represents the end of an era for the UK and Irish market, because the only six cylinder petrol for the LCI is the 545e plug in hybrid, so it's nice to get one of the last executive cars available with a six cylinder engine. As mappable and all as the B48 is, the B58 will always be capable of so much more should the 335 bhp on offer not be enough thanks to the 50% greater cubic capacity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭digiman

Great choice, well wear

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭SummerK

Amazing choice wailin. I just got 530e and I’m delighted with its performance. Can’t imagine how 6 cylinder performs 😬

Wailin wrote: »
    Cheers bazz. Totally separate, a dealer based in Galway contacted me. A few grand off what I was looking for in a private sale but most dealers didn't want to touch it.

When you say didn't want to touch it, do you mean wouldn't take it as a trade or otherwise?
    I would have thought it was a desirable car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭Ryano87

Lovely car Wailin congrats. Did your jimny sell too? Fantastic little jeep have an 02 one myself I bought for a song - love them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

SummerK wrote: »
    Amazing choice wailin. I just got MY2020 530e and I’m delighted with its performance. Can’t imagine how 6 cylinder performs ��

Did you import the 530e?

• Advertisement

Love the 540i.
    Rare car here.

mickdw wrote: »
    Did you import the 530e?
    Yes Mick. Got it a couple of days ago. It's Msport with comfort pack.

Ryano87 wrote: »
    Lovely car Wailin congrats. Did your jimny sell too? Fantastic little jeep have an 02 one myself I bought for a song - love them!

No I took it down for now but it will be back up again in a week or two. Plenty of interest in it and two guys were looking to buy it. Yeah they are a great little yoke.

carsfan2 wrote: »
    When you say didn't want to touch it, do you mean wouldn't take it as a trade or otherwise?
    I would have thought it was a desirable car.

Not to anyone in the trade apparently. I spoke to a good few lads and they would rather a 520d anyday on the forecourt. Someone will end up paying a lot more for it from a dealer than buying privately from myself which is a shame.

It's a pity really as it's an amazing car and I'm feeling sorry for myself already :pac:

Until I get my hands on the 540 that is :D

SummerK wrote: »
    Yes Mick. Got it a couple of days ago. It's Msport with comfort pack.

Lovely stuff. A 2020? What mileage had it and what was/is the VRT?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Fantastic car, happy motoring, and be sure to mention here when you’re trading up again! Is there much engine/exhaust noise on full acceleration?

• Advertisement

Well I didn't really give it socks this time around as I was following the sales rep (he wasn't exactly taking it easy in fairness to him, he knew I wanted to give it a good blast).

It's the same engine in the 440i I test drove a few weeks back with a few extra horses under the bonnet. Exhaust note is nice but not crazy like an m car.

Very linear performance from that engine which differs from the 535d in that you get a huge wall of torque that shoves you back in the seat. The 540i is less dramatic but doesn't run out of gas like the diesel. The 535d would lose it but it's at 375bhp and 750Nm torque compared to 340bhp and 450Nm.

I look forward to hearing how you get in with the new car.
    It’s a great buy for what I think it will cost you after vrt.
    Any insurance issues?

Hopefully not! I haven't even looked in to that yet. Moving from a 3 litre diesel to a 3 litre petrol of similar power shouldn't be an issue though, but I did switch from my long term insurance provider start of June (FBD) to a less well known broker. Hopefully there will be no issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Best of luck Wailin, lovely car. Sounds like an expensive enough change so hope it's all worth it.

Sounds like an expensive enough change so hope it's all worth it.

All circumstantial and depends on where you're coming from really. It certainly would be an expensive change if an Irish dealer was selling the same car and I was trading in. That would be retailing at around 50-55k here at least

• Advertisement

With a 55k retail price here and the joke initial trade in offer you got, you would have been basically giving away your 535d.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Congrats on the purchase! Its fcuk all in terms of ownership cost anyway at this price range but what's annual tax on it ? Assume 570 or 750?

Edit, just checked myself, 570 nearly a third of what it was on cc system!

I think it's €750, but could be wrong. I know the 440i with same engine was €750 so it has to be the same.

...........The 535d would lose it but it's at 375bhp and 750Nm torque compared to 340bhp and 450Nm.

Well done on the purchase, fantastic :)
    I thought 535d were 300 ish bhp? Are the figures who mention after some fettling?

Yep, stock 535d is 313bhp and 630Nm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

That will be an awesome car Wailin, glad it's working out for you after being d1cked around by the crowd in Waterford.

I think it's €750, but could be wrong. I know the 440i with same engine was €750 so it has to be the same.

They might have got the emissions down in the 5 series as it’s a newer design.
    When are you picking up?

Won't be till next week with work, maybe Thursday I hope. Getting to Ballymena is another problem I need to work out.

Lovely stuff. A 2020? What mileage had it and what was/is the VRT?
    Thanks. Its a late 2019 with upgraded 12kwh battery pack & I drive 7 with live cockpit professional in Alpine white. 6.5k miles and was owned by a dealer principal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

2020 M340i here for around 61k landed. No VAT liability here if it were just 6 months old and had 6000km on the clock:

https://www.usedcarsni.com/2020-BMW-3-Series-M340i-xDrive-Saloon-268768181?search_type=1&keywords=m340i

We really get screwed in taxes here.

• Advertisement

Are the VRT quotes on UsedCarsNi accurate?

I'd say they are ball park.

bazz26 wrote: »
    I'd say they are ball park.

I couldn’t find m340i on the vrt calculator when I was trying to work prices out so I assumed none have been brought in.
    You would be taking a risk of a big bill bringing the first one in I’d say, who knows what the revenue would want?

The M3 is around €17,500 and 540i is €12,600 approx. Going by that the M340i would be somewhere in between, about €14-15k I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

2020 M340i here for around 61k landed. No VAT liability here if it were just 6 months old and had 6000km on the clock:

https://www.usedcarsni.com/2020-BMW-3-Series-M340i-xDrive-Saloon-268768181?search_type=1&keywords=m340i

We really get screwed in taxes here.

we bought a g20 recently and it's a very nice car, big step up from previous 3 series.

it's so depressing seeing prices/specs of beemers everywhere else in the world.

ireland is not the place to be for enthusiasts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

since seeing wailins 535d for sale I've liked the idea of getting one, would anyone have concerns buying one now with what may come from the green party? [or the impending corona recession]

budget would be 20k. when I work out the total cost of ownership using flattering calculations, it wouldn't be a massive increase over something a lot cheaper, for some reason 535d insurance quotes are coming out at 938 when more ordinary cars are much more... depends on what the quote really is when I disclose involvement in an accident though, could put a stop to the idea. (not at fault though so shouldn't matter but you never know)

Only thing is I would be welded to a 535d until it was worthless if there's any messing with motor tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,220 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

since seeing wailins 535d for sale I've liked the idea of getting one, would anyone have concerns buying one now with what may come from the green party? [or the impending corona recession]

budget would be 20k. when I work out the total cost of ownership using flattering calculations, it wouldn't be a massive increase over something a lot cheaper, for some reason 535d insurance quotes are coming out at 938 when more ordinary cars are much more... depends on what the quote really is when I disclose involvement in an accident though, could put a stop to the idea. (not at fault though so shouldn't matter but you never know)

Only thing is I would be welded to a 535d until it was worthless if there's any messing with motor tax.

you can be pretty sure the greens will do something drastic, remember they prompted the move to diesel over night. my dad bought a 520d in 2006 i think it was, 2 years later the same car was 15k cheaper new :rolleyes:

I don’t think there will be any retrospective massive increases in road tax on existing cars but going forward could see the loading of taxes on new diesels and maybe petrol cars too.
    With Eamon Ryan the minister for transport though who knows but he will be reined in by the other parties hopefully.

Liking this G20:

https://www.usedcarsni.com/2019-BMW-3-Series-330d-M-Sport-4dr-Step-Auto-Plus-Pack-265026500

The only thing I'd change would be the interior colour - would much rather the oyster interior to brighten the cabin up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭marcos_94

I don’t think there will be any retrospective massive increases in road tax on existing cars but going forward could see the loading of taxes on new diesels and maybe petrol cars too.
    With Eamon Ryan the minister for transport though who knows but he will be reined in by the other parties hopefully.

I would agree. As with the co2 based tax, if they bring in changes, it will only apply to road tax. Doesnt mean they wont apply a tax to fuel though!

Liking this G20:

https://www.usedcarsni.com/2019-BMW-3-Series-330d-M-Sport-4dr-Step-Auto-Plus-Pack-265026500

The only thing I'd change would be the interior colour - would much rather the oyster interior to brighten the cabin up.

Very nice car. Lovely spec.
    The used 3 series seems to price the same as the 5 in the U.K./N. I.
    As in a used 530d is no more than a 330d.

I see the nice grey 430d In cahir you linked previously is gone.
    Used cars are selling well. I read in the paper that used values are up due to lack of supply in our market.

Very nice car. Lovely spec.
    The used 3 series seems to price the same as the 5 in the U.K./N. I.
    As in a used 530d is no more than a 330d.

I see the nice grey 430d In cahir you linked previously is gone.
    Used cars are selling well. I read in the paper that used values are up due to lack of supply in our market.

Yeah the grey one didn't hang around long despite the high asking price. I'd say the spec sold it. I think the more restricted access to the UK market probably helped sales of used cars here too.

I taxed my car this week and it's getting new front brake pads (and maybe discs) next week so I'll be keeping it until at least the end of the year anyway. In no hurry to part with it especially if just for the sake of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

I take it they haven't actually gotten it off you yet? And hence only 2 photos?

When you said it was a Galway based trader I guessed these guys in my head. Heard they were good to deal with

• Advertisement

They're not asking much more straight sale then you wanted?

Id say they sourced it for a client and it will be marked as sold as soon as they get their hands on it.
    Might be happy enough to take a slim enough margin if they know they are flipping it immediately and offering only an aftermarket warranty.

mickdw wrote: »
    Id say they sourced it for a client and it will be marked as sold as soon as they get their hands on it.
    Might be happy enough to take a slim enough margin if they know they are flipping it immediately and offering only an aftermarket warranty.

Why bother advertising if you already have it sold though?
    Hedging their bets in case it falls through maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Why bother advertising if you already have it sold though?
    Hedging their bets in case it falls through maybe?
    views, some one calls, throw out the spiel just sold but we have something similar you may be interested in...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

yeah agreed, allowing people to tax most diesel and petrol cars sold here now, for as good as free. Is total idiocy. If they increase existing rates, it would be by an absolute pittance... A total and utter irrelevance financially when you see the depreciation and finance rates... I think it makes sense to wait if you dont need to buy urgently, how much will these start selling for when recession hits properly? assuming we enter recession of course...

• Advertisement
Advertisement