Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Fant11

Digiweb wrote: »
    Because Eir don't sell the Siro service they have their own network which they wholesale to other providers and also retail to customers, Siro don't sell directly to customer's they provide it through a list of retailers

Thanks. So which can I take as more reliable? The Sky or Eir recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,479 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Fant11 wrote: »
    Thanks. So which can I take as more reliable? The Sky or Eir recommendations?

Both are correct for the technologies they use to deliver broadband, Sky's offering is over fibre cable to the home (FTTH) while eir's is over copper line (FTTC/VDSL)

Currently have eir FTTH (BB&TV) @55pm - this is about to jump to 105pm as 12 months is up.
    Do I have any other options ?
    Its rural btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Currently have eir FTTH (BB&TV) @55pm - this is about to jump to 105pm as 12 months is up.
    Do I have any other options ?
    Its rural btw.

Lots to choose from: https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 37 fieldofsheep

Given that a number of these technologies/networks are well established, I still find it a bit frustrating at the lack of OpenEir FTTH products on provider comparison website such as switcher.ie and bonkers.ie - by browsing these sites, you wouldn't think that there is a provider for close to 300,000 premises in Ireland. When I input my Eircode into Bonkers.ie, all I get back are 'part-fibre' results (despite me having been on OpenEir FTTH for the last 2 years).

I did e-mail Bonkers.ie about it in January 2019 and they assured me that it would be added in 'the next couple of weeks' :rolleyes:

My other bugbear would be to do with availability checking on various websites - it still relies on a list of known addresses, or the landline number. On both the Vodafone and Eir websites (ironically my current and previous providers respectively), my address can't be found, and I also don't have a landline number any more to check. I can chat to their representatives, give them my Eircode and they can confirm my FTTH availability. Airwire would be the gold standard when checking what's available - put in your Eircode and it will return exactly what internet connection types are available at your premises.

In short, I'd like to be able to put my Eircode into a comparison website, and get the best deals for the broadband connection type I have!

PS. In terms of the best OpenEir FTTH deal out there, Eir are offering a 1Gb package that includes Eir Sports and 1 year of Amazon Prime for €55 a month (it is a 24 month contract though) - has anyone found a better deal than that? They also do the 150Mb package for €30 per month, with a 12 month contract.

• Advertisement

Given that a number of these technologies/networks are well established, I still find it a bit frustrating at the lack of OpenEir FTTH products on provider comparison website such as switcher.ie and bonkers.ie - by browsing these sites, you wouldn't think that there is a provider for close to 300,000 premises in Ireland. When I input my Eircode into Bonkers.ie, all I get back are 'part-fibre' results (despite me having been on OpenEir FTTH for the last 2 years).

Bonkers.ie and switcher.ie are sales sites. They only list providers, who pay them and they have no real interest in picking up regional providers.

They get commission for every sale.

So they are not really objective or complete anyhow.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Hey does anyone know if you can end a Vodafone broadband contract early ? Do you have to pay the remaining months fee or is there a max that they will charge ?

Thanks

Daz_ wrote: »
    Hey does anyone know if you can end a Vodafone broadband contract early ? Do you have to pay the remaining months fee or is there a max that they will charge ?

To my knowledge, Vodafone don't have a buyout option, so you'll be liable for the entire contract.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭scabo33

Hi everyone.

I just purchased a new development and the house attached to me has 100mb broadband. We are directly accross the exchange. We called eircom and they are saying our line isint connected and there is nothing they can do. My wife and I work from home so need broadband before we move In. Is there any supplier who will do this for us? We met the KN engineer who put it in our neighbour.

Any help would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 49 hero001

Hi there, I have Eir FTTH (Fibre Extreme 150 Mb) paying Euro 75 per month .

3 teenagers in the house, so internet usage is high and Wifi signal appears to be getting poorer in recent months, but that may be down to the amount of usage.

I'm thinking of moving to Vodafone or SKY at present. Vodafone looks like good value for FTTH, is it any good? Wwill I need a new cable as they use SIRO and my fiber is a Eir cable?

We have SKY TV, so their hub would appear to give better wifi coverage around the house, as the sky boxes act as repeaters and the price point appears to be slightly less than what I'm paying at present.

Any recommendations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ciaranmul

Finally managed to cancel Eir. Genuinely the worst company I have ever dealt with. Looking to switch provider.

Don't require much, no TV or phone needed, just broadband and I live in Portobello, Dublin City.

Bonker.ie is showing confusing results. Looking for fast speeds (tried Three's 4g sim card thing, download speed was only 3mb) and reliability along with good customer service.

Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Stewball

ciaranmul wrote: »
    Finally managed to cancel Eir. Genuinely the worst company I have ever dealt with. Looking to switch provider.

Vodafone by a country mile.

My current dealings with them.
    • Ordered mobile broadband on 29/4
    • Delivered on the 1/5
    • They didn't activate the sim card until the 4/5
    • Rang to cancel within the 14 days cooling off period on the 18/5 because of poor coverage.
    • They said they'd extend the cooling off period until the 22/5 and fix my coverage.
    • Rang back on the 22/5 to cancel because the coverage didn't improve.
    • I've been waiting since the 22/5 for someone to come and pick up the device - the service is still active but I'm not using it. I've called them 5-6 times and each time I've been told someone will contact me with 24hrs to arrange pick up.

I've blocked them from taking any payments from my bank account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 LaAlgerie

Vodafone ^^
    • I signed up with them months ago
    • Engineers said there's a ducting issue on public property, not my issue
    • Vodafone said that's fine, they'll work it out. Lots of appointments, nobody turns up
    • Vodafone calls me telling me the issue is on my property. I ask them why that contradicts the engineer's report, no reply I ask for the engineer's notes, they tell me the engineers are saying it's "unavailable"
    • I ask VF why they were telling me the issue was on my property if they have no engineer notes? Made a complaint to them, then comreg
    • Second engineer comes out of the blue, says exactly same as first guy, ducting issue is out on the street, civil works
    • Comreg closed the case the other day saying VF has now made arrangements for the ducting to be fixed VF totally lied to me. I guess they didn't want to pay for the engineers to dig a shallow hole to fix the ducting so were probably BS just to scare me out of the contract
    • Comreg has done nothing now, and they don't seem to understand the ISP were lying their holes off

is there a thread for renewal offers/tips on virgin

currently paying full whack for tv/phone/broadband and only using the latter

be interested to know what kind of deal i could expect if i rang them and went through the rigmarole etc

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

Digiweb are without a doubt the best broadband provider I have used, I have used Virgin, Sky and Eir and have knowledge of Vodafone, Eir and Vodafone are similar in the sense they are absolutely woeful with customer service and service in general.

Virgin are great when working but when it goes down you have literally no hope of getting any answers, again terrible customer service.

Sky were great but the price is much higher than other providers so its not worth it

Digiweb actually worked out cheaper that virgin for double the speed, It never goes down, and their customer service is absolutely brilliant, you ring them there is no waiting on hold, you get a real person and they answer your questions completely and honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭chewed

gibgodsman wrote: »
    Digiweb are without a doubt the best broadband provider I have used, I have used Virgin, Sky and Eir and have knowledge of Vodafone, Eir and Vodafone are similar in the sense they are absolutely woeful with customer service and service in general.

Virgin are great when working but when it goes down you have literally no hope of getting any answers, again terrible customer service.

Sky were great but the price is much higher than other providers so its not worth it

Digiweb actually worked out cheaper that virgin for double the speed, It never goes down, and their customer service is absolutely brilliant, you ring them there is no waiting on hold, you get a real person and they answer your questions completely and honestly.

+1 for Digiweb. Always available for a chat and their tech support is super. No issues with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 LaAlgerie

Marlow wrote: »
    To my knowledge, Vodafone don't have a buyout option, so you'll be liable for the entire contract.

/M

I read Vodafone's contract yesterday, as I have my own issue.

It says if you want to leave early you can, but "may" face early termination chargers.

"Please notify us 30 days in advance of cancelling your service, if you cancel within the minimum term, an early termination fee may apply. "

Sky
    Does anyone have their BB? It's FTTH and speeds are good? Customer service is ok?

Some of the prices of the smaller providers are very high compared to the big 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eiei0

Hi All

I am trying to see what options for FTTH there is for my Inlaws

I know FTTH passes there gate as we live up the road and have it but when I put there number or Eircode into either Voda or Eir I can only select VDSL, is there no new FTTH connections available??

On the Airwave site it lists FTTH as available

Thanks

eiei0 wrote: »

Airwave is an internet provider in Cork, who only does fixed wireless to my knowledge. Are you sure, you have that right ? You didn't mean Airwire by chance ?

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭wacotaco

I looking to get broadband only for a 2 month period. I need a decent service for working from home, netflix etc.
    Would anyone know the best deal on a monthly basis?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

eiei0 wrote: »
    Hi All

I am trying to see what options for FTTH there is for my Inlaws

I know FTTH passes there gate as we live up the road and have it but when I put there number or Eircode into either Voda or Eir I can only select VDSL, is there no new FTTH connections available??

Thanks

Is their house well back from the road; are they close to a village?

wacotaco wrote: »
    I looking to get broadband only for a 2 month period. I need a decent service for working from home, netflix etc.

Providers don't generally do short term broadband contracts. I think Airwire have a shorter than 12 month service. Your best bet is probably just data for your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

wacotaco wrote: »
    Virgin do a 30 day rolling contract on their 250mb plan if youre on their footprint

https://www.virginmedia.ie/broadband/buy-a-broadband-package/250-mb-freedom-broadband-world-talk/

Yes you are correct still not sure why I can't get it on eir or Vodafone??
    Marlow wrote: »
    Airwave is an internet provider in Cork, who only does fixed wireless to my knowledge. Are you sure, you have that right ? You didn't mean Airwire by chance ?

/M

No we are a few km out of town and the house is no further back than any other along the road,

cnocbui wrote: »
    Is their house well back from the road; are they close to a village?

Sounds a bit strange then if it's close to the road, not a new build and yet houses either side have it available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

Was speaking to Eir today about signing up for their 24 month offer, I’m in a contract with my current provider for another 6 weeks and the Eir rep mentioned they would pay up to €200 against any cancellation fees occurred. Is this legit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭fanzhiyidan

Hi, I've had Eir fibre for a couple of years and am currently paying €56/month.

I'm thinking about switching to Sky so that I can avail of their basic TV bundle + Sky Sports.

Does anyone have any experience of doing this and what would be the best package to go for so that I'm not paying much more than what I'm paying at the moment for just broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭DeconSheridan

Has anyone switched from 3Mobile Broadband to Vodafone Mobile Broadband and happy with the service or regret the move..
    Im tired of the 3Mobile Broadband going to 0Mb Download throughout the day and evenings when it's needed most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭scabo33

Does anyone have a contact for OpenEir? Been waiting nearly 7 months to get my premises listed. Right across from the exchange all the neighbours have WiFi, all have eircodes and all houses were finished at the same time

Very unfair

Advertisement