Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I see Eir have 1GB broadband for €59... does this go up after 6 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    I called Sky to get the price down but they forwarded me straight to cancellation. Is the practice of Sky always giving introductory rates to keep customers a thing of the past?

You are aware, that all of the providers are at a loss at that pricing ? I mean .. their wholesale exceeds what it costs them !! And that wholesale pricing is Comreg .. and hence government .. regulated.

They hope you stay 2-3 years. If you don't .. you can go to hell.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Marlow wrote: »
    You are aware, that all of the providers are at a loss at that pricing ? I mean .. their wholesale exceeds what it costs them !! And that wholesale pricing is Comreg .. and hence government .. regulated.

They hope you stay 2-3 years. If you don't .. you can go to hell.

/M

Cheers but that's not what I asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Cheers but that's not what I asked.

Maybe not explicitly but its implied. The first year pricing is a loss leader, they are unlikely to offer it indefinitely as they will never make money off you if they do.

You can just keep switching provider every year to whomever has the best intro rates, many people wont bother which is what they are counting on.

Its not like the TV packages where they are the wholesaler and owner of many of the channels, there they are likely sacrificing some profit if they give you a deal in subsequent years, but not it all. For broadband the wholesale cost goes to OpenEir plus they have other costs on top of that to recoup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

dam099 wrote: »
    Maybe not explicitly but its implied. The first year pricing is a loss leader, they are unlikely to offer it indefinitely as they will never make money off you if they do.

You can just keep switching provider every year to whomever has the best intro rates, many people wont bother which is what they are counting on.

Its not like the TV packages where they are the wholesaler and owner of many of the channels, there they are likely sacrificing some profit if they give you a deal in subsequent years, but not it all. For broadband the wholesale cost goes to OpenEir plus they have other costs on top of that to recoup.

So are Vodafone or Digiweb good alternatives to Sky?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Brian2011

I have Eir fibre coming from overhead poles, want to switch to Vodafone fibre, do I still need a technician to come out to install?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 wideboyy

I have virgin media cable broadband, and am looking for a cheaper alternative but without requiring new cabling and installation - just swap out the modem

Question is who else uses the same cable infrastructure as VM in Limerick City?

Vodafone options are Siro or ADSL only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

wideboyy wrote: »
    I have virgin media cable broadband, and am looking for a cheaper alternative but without requiring new cabling and installation - just swap out the modem

No-one, Virgin Media don't offer wholesale access to any other ISPs on their cable infrastructure.

wideboyy wrote: »

VM does not share their infrastructure at all. And will never do so, unless forced by Comreg.

If cable is your only option, then Virgin your only option.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Contacted Eir today about switching from Vodafone. She could not tell me what model the new modem they would be sending out is? Basic enough information I would have thought. She advised me to contact 1901 for this info. That was enough for me to not sign up. Imagine trying to contact customer care and not being customer!

I then contacted Digiweb about switching to them as I am interested in the Fritzbox. My line can take 70MB FTTC but I feel I can get faster speed over Wifi. I appreciate contention but my wifi performance is dismal with Vodafone. I contacted them last week and they fobbed me off saying that my 7 devices on the network were causing the slow speed. Digiweb didn't seem overly keen on switching me either, said they will get back in touch when FTTH is available. I am not holding my breath there.

What are my best options here. Will my wifi speed improve by switching to a Fritzbox or is art purely contention related.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Aranoahi

I have had the eir fibre broadband at 300 MB for nearly one year.

Speed on the eir 300 MB is usually:
    • Ping: 6,
    • Download: 287 MB,
    • Upload: 48 MB.

My current contract is about to end. I am looking at the eir 1GB.

Does anybody have any experience with the eir 1GB?
    Would be great to know what the usual internet speed is on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

So the good news, looks like the network near me is being upgraded from FTTC to FTTH, my question is where can I find some pricing info as whenever I put the Eircode or telephone number in it starts telling me about my upto 100Mbs I can get ( currently I actually get 85Mbs )

At moment we're with Vodafone but I'm easy going when the contract period ends

Thanks

Spook_ie wrote: »
    So the good news, looks like the network near me is being upgraded from FTTC to FTTH, my question is where can I find some pricing info as whenever I put the Eircode or telephone number in it starts telling me about my upto 100Mbs I can get ( currently I actually get 85Mbs )

At moment we're with Vodafone but I'm easy going when the contract period ends

Thanks

If it's OpenEIR infrastructure, most of these providers offer it: https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

As for pricing, you can probably assume the same pricing as for the rural 300k FTTH. It costs the provider the same.

It certainly won't be VDSL/FTTC pricing.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Consonata

At the moment, we are with Eir, with 2.52mbps down and 0.52mbps up. We just had the imagine Broadband people in today but they were unable to get any signal from our house unfortunately for their service, so I'm looking at some alternatives.

According to the ComReg map, we should be able to get Good-Very Good Vodafone Mobile Broadband with 4G service. Does anybody know whether that would be an improvement upon what we have got, or whether they have any alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

Consonata wrote: »
    At the moment, we are with Eir, with 2.52mbps down and 0.52mbps up. We just had the imagine Broadband people in today but they were unable to get any signal from our house unfortunately for their service, so I'm looking at some alternatives.

According to the ComReg map, we should be able to get Good-Very Good Vodafone Mobile Broadband with 4G service. Does anybody know whether that would be an improvement upon what we have got, or whether they have any alternatives.

I'm not sure where you are exactly, but we are in a very rural location with similar Eir speeds to you, and our vodafone is usually double the speed of whatever Eir gets with a record of 28mbps (rare to get this tho! usually between 5 and 15). Try out a payg SIM from Vodafone to check it, but I would bet on it being the best speed (but it isn't cheap).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Area of required connection - Google Map

No fibre available - 300m away in one direction and 1km away in another
    Current speeds via Eir connection are unusable at < 1mb (always been like this)
    Imagine broadband was ordered but couldn't get a signal at the house when they came out
    Assumption is that other WISP service probably won't get a signal either (checked with Net1 who also have no line of sight)
    Checked ComReg for mobile data and 4G for all services is reported as "Fair". I get around 7mb speed on my mobile in the house. This isn't sufficient for the work I need to do, nor does it provide stable audio conferencing.

Seem to have run out of options. Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,045 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Imagine broadband was ordered but couldn't get a signal at the house when they came out
    Assumption is that other WISP service probably won't get a signal either (checked with Net1 who also have no line of sight)
    Checked ComReg for mobile data and 4G for all services is reported as "Fair". I get around 7mb speed on my mobile in the house. This isn't sufficient for the work I need to do, nor does it provide stable audio conferencing.

Satelite Broadband?

http://irishsat.ie/

An ISP that doesn't have a secure website doesn't fill me with confidence. Allowance of 50GB also makes it unusable as I will easily breach that thanks to the work I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,045 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

An ISP that doesn't have a secure website doesn't fill me with confidence. Allowance of 50GB also makes it unusable as I will easily breach that thanks to the work I do.

Probably other options, was just the first provider I saw when I Google satililite broadband.

Thanks. Some of the other options seem to be more professional. Though data limits are still pretty severe. I guess a limitation of the technology.

I have emailed the National Broadband Plan customer care service as the government page on the plan advises to do. Let them know about the situation. Has anyone ever done this before? I'm assuming I will just get a generic response back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭paddy19

If you can get 7mb on 4G on your phone there is certainly a possibility that it could be significantly improved with an outside aerial.

Defo worth a try. Not very expensive.

Best site on this is editor Sean

https://editorsean.com/articles/identify-three-4g-band-and-4g-sites-on-comreg-siteviewer/

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭daraghwal

Thanks. Some of the other options seem to be more professional. Though data limits are still pretty severe. I guess a limitation of the technology.

I have emailed the National Broadband Plan customer care service as the government page on the plan advises to do. Let them know about the situation. Has anyone ever done this before? I'm assuming I will just get a generic response back?

Unfortunately I think I remember there being no reply at all but just ensures that you are part of NBP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Is there a consensus on the broadband provider with the most reliable service and/or best customer service.

Based in Dublin. Currently on Virgin, which is fine, but the customer service has been shocking, and it does suffer from occasional shutdowns.

I don't mind paying more, if I can rely on it a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

GoMo weirdness at the moment.

I paid for the SIM on the 21st of April and now I've been told I've exceeded the fair use even though I knew I hadn't gone over 80gb.

So it isn't 80GB from when you join, rather it's 80 for the calendar month:

Katie [2:52:25 PM]
    its 80gb for a full month, you joined us on . 20th of April , 20th April - 30th April is 11 days, you would of got 29gb for this month
    Katie [2:52:41 PM]
    it will renew for the full month of May 1st and you will get 80gb for the full month
    You [2:53:09 PM]
    ohhh... now that's strange - so even though I paid for a month I only get 11 days?
    Katie [2:53:23 PM]
    you did not pay for a month ?
    Katie [2:53:29 PM]
    you paid for activation of the sim
    You [2:54:05 PM]
    got sim in the post and used it, as per instructions
    Katie [2:54:09 PM]
    you paid for activation of the sim
    Katie [2:54:17 PM]
    you bill for service did not issue out yet
    You [2:54:19 PM]
    I thought it would be 80GB from the day of starting?
    Katie [2:54:59 PM]
    no

Doh...This is what happens with over-simplified and vague marketing of deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Benki1979

Don’t switch !
    I switched from Vodafone to Eir and now have no service on either provider for over 2 weeks !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Blisterman wrote: »
    Is there a consensus on the broadband provider with the most reliable service and/or best customer service.

Based in Dublin. Currently on Virgin, which is fine, but the customer service has been shocking, and it does suffer from occasional shutdowns.

I don't mind paying more, if I can rely on it a bit more.

What I'm learning is they're all much the same.

All have some element of ****e/good customer service.

All have outages etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 MadKingAyres

Hi guys, hopefully someone here can help me with this.

So we moved into a new house, got broadband line installed by Eir (after the original phone line was cut by builders twice during renovations). We are now awaiting a new modem to be delivered from Eir to plug into the socket and then need to get Eir to activate the connection from their end in order to have functioning internet (I think - correct me if I'm wrong?).

Since we have been now waiting over a month for the new modem with no word from anyone at Eir (presumably due in part at least to the pandemic) and over FIVE months now since we moved in to get home internet, I'm really trying to figure out any way of getting things up and running soon.

What I want to know is:
    1) On the modem front, we do have an old Eir modem from our last house available. If the connection was active, could I plug said modem into the socket and configure it myself and have it work, or are Eir modems software-locked to only work with the connection they were originally set up with?
    2) On the connection front - do we need an engineer to come out to activate this? I know that the phone is active at least, so it's entirely possible that the whole thing is running and it IS just the modem that's needed (I'm a little hazy on the exact way Eir sets these things up), but we have no way of checking because we only have that old modem that doesn't work yet.
    3) If it is a case of us absolutely needing the new modem before anything else can be done, does anyone know why this is taking so long? I know Eir are probably struggling with the pandemic but I would have thought someone could have popped around to the post office after a full month and counting. Can I check on the status of a modem order in any way?

If there's a better place to ask about this sort of thing please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭deisedude

Anyone have experience of Vodafone 300gb mobile broadband?

We have a new house and An Post are telling me it will be August before we get an eircode and I can't get regular broadband without it

• Registered Users Posts: 29 JuXo

Hi guys, hopefully someone here can help me with this.

So we moved into a new house, got broadband line installed by Eir (after the original phone line was cut by builders twice during renovations). We are now awaiting a new modem to be delivered from Eir to plug into the socket and then need to get Eir to activate the connection from their end in order to have functioning internet (I think - correct me if I'm wrong?).

Since we have been now waiting over a month for the new modem with no word from anyone at Eir (presumably due in part at least to the pandemic) and over FIVE months now since we moved in to get home internet, I'm really trying to figure out any way of getting things up and running soon.

What I want to know is:
    1) On the modem front, we do have an old Eir modem from our last house available. If the connection was active, could I plug said modem into the socket and configure it myself and have it work, or are Eir modems software-locked to only work with the connection they were originally set up with?
    2) On the connection front - do we need an engineer to come out to activate this? I know that the phone is active at least, so it's entirely possible that the whole thing is running and it IS just the modem that's needed (I'm a little hazy on the exact way Eir sets these things up), but we have no way of checking because we only have that old modem that doesn't work yet.
    3) If it is a case of us absolutely needing the new modem before anything else can be done, does anyone know why this is taking so long? I know Eir are probably struggling with the pandemic but I would have thought someone could have popped around to the post office after a full month and counting. Can I check on the status of a modem order in any way?

If there's a better place to ask about this sort of thing please let me know.

Hello, you can try few things
    1 - you can try old eir modem, if it is F2000/3000 (bigger modems) that one should work
    2 - if you have double phone socket, plug to left side and in DSL connection on modem, if DSL light start to flash that can be good or bad sign, if it is flashing 1-2 minutes and go steady green, you should get internet light also green and you can use it, if internet light is off, you cant use it
    then if DSL light keep flashing all the time you need tech, also if there is no DSL light flashing att all
    Also i am working for KN and we are super busy with installs so you shouldnt wait for tech too long, some people got appointment 4 days after they order broadband

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Stewball

deisedude wrote: »
    Anyone have experience of Vodafone 300gb mobile broadband?

We have a new house and An Post are telling me it will be August before we get an eircode and I can't get regular broadband without it

I ordered it last Wednesday - received it Friday - but it's not working because the SIM can't be activated. It can take 3-5 days to get it "activated". Their customer care is useless.

Advertisement