Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,728 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Contact your local politician's office?

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

Simply Red wrote: »
    Was speaking to Eir today about signing up for their 24 month offer, I’m in a contract with my current provider for another 6 weeks and the Eir rep mentioned they would pay up to €200 against any cancellation fees occurred. Is this legit?

Possibly legit, but my god please do anything but go with Eir, they are without a doubt the worst broadband provider in Ireland, them and Vodafone are absolutely disgraceful

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭scabo33

cnocbui wrote: »
    Contact your local politician's office?

Thanks for the reply. Has anyone has success with a local politician? I can’t imagine them doing any good but that’s me ha

• Registered Users Posts: 9 TastyErbDerbs

Anyone living in Swords, Dublin have any experience with Sky fibre-optic broadband? Looking for details re max speeds and reliability as looking to switch from awful Three WiFi.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭scabo33

Last post from me I know I have been annoying everyone. Just for closure my issue has been sorted. My eircode finally got updated in the system hours after I complained to ComReg.

We can now finally get broadband!! Thanks for the support

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

scabo33 wrote: »
    Last post from me I know I have been annoying everyone. Just for closure my issue has been sorted. My eircode finally got updated in the system hours after I complained to ComReg.

We can now finally get broadband!! Thanks for the support

Coincidence or?

First success story I've heard regarding comreg if not

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭mazzy maz

Have been doing some research on broadband only deals and have come to the conclusion that Magnet is the best value. Anyone care to inform me otherwise before I pull the trigger?

19.99 pm for 12 months, 39.99 thereafter, for Fibre 100.

Thanks.

mazzy maz wrote: »
    Have been doing some research on broadband only deals and have come to the conclusion that Magnet is the best value. Anyone care to inform me otherwise before I pull the trigger?

19.99 pm for 12 months, 39.99 thereafter, for Fibre 100.

Thanks.

There is a reason they are cheap, they are absolutely woeful providers, do a little research into them and you will see just how bad they actually are.

They have a 1 star rating on ratemyisp for instance.

Are there any other providers available in your area? Would also like to point out your paying €20 less than me for 1/10 my speed... so while its decent price in Ireland, its terrible price speed wise.

Good to know, thanks.

I don't really need the fastest broadband available, just enough to watch netflix every now and then. Price is more important to me than speed at the moment and magnet is the cheapest by far in my area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 LaAlgerie

I just noticed that Eir and Vodafone's offers have changed for fibre.

Eir - the 12-month deal is for 6-months then a higher price.

Voda - their 150 MB fibre option is gone - it's 500 or 1000 MB. (prices changed also, €30 for 12 months)

Has anyone been upgraded from 150 / 300 MB to 500?

• Advertisement

Good to know, thanks.

I don't really need the fastest broadband available, just enough to watch netflix every now and then. Price is more important to me than speed at the moment and magnet is the cheapest by far in my area.

Maybe contact digiweb and see whats the cheapest they offer, they are great and usually quite cheap. They can be talked down in price too which is great, tell them what Magnet offer and see what they will

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dirtydancing

Any suggestions for someone who's moving in to a new place in Dublin 1 and can't seem to be getting Fibre? Maximum providers are offering is up to 17Mb which is less than ideal

Any suggestions for someone who's moving in to a new place in Dublin 1 and can't seem to be getting Fibre? Maximum providers are offering is up to 17Mb which is less than ideal

I believe true Fibre to the Home is fairly rare and mostly applicable to the rural fibre scheme. Fibre to the cabinet is also referred to as fibre but it's really still copper to the home. All providers are limited to the same infrastructure so can only really compete on price and service, not max speed.

I believe true Fibre to the Home is fairly rare and mostly applicable to the rural fibre scheme. Fibre to the cabinet is also referred to as fibre but it's really still copper to the home. All providers are limited to the same infrastructure so can only really compete on price and service, not max speed.

Gotcha! What about the fact that only this building on this entire street does not get good speeds (read 100Mb) from providers, is that something that I as a tenant can do anything about?

Edit:
    I'm surprised that a building in this area can only get 17Mb
    Vd5clEf.png

Try the Eircode with Virgin: https://www.virginmedia.ie/

Try the Eircode with Virgin: https://www.virginmedia.ie/

Yeah, it gets TV and Digital+HD, but nothing else. Funny thing is I'm checking neighbor buildings and they all get full speeds. I thought FTTC would benefit everyone around the cabinets, unless there's something I'm missing here and the connection between the cabinets and this specific building has been neglected for so long that it's just beyond repair.

I tried an Eircode in that area and it said:
    Woohoo! you can get all our services. Carry on!

If it's an apartment, it might be limited by the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 NanaBob22

Can anyone help with a few questions about eir and my broadband?..
    I'm currently paying almost 60 euro a month on a rolling contract for what they describe on my bill as "eir fibre" and "eir Talk Pay as you Use". I have a 15mbps download speed and about 3mbps upload speed. I still have the same f2000 modem I got back in 2016. Am I actually getting what I'm paying for??
    Spent 3 hours over the past 2 days trying to contact them by phone and nothing.
    I live about 1km from the nearest cabinet if that makes any difference. Surely I could get that kind of speed cheaper elsewhere?

Any suggestions or comments greatly appreciated. Sorry I forgot to say that at first, but I can still hear the 'On-Hold' music from Customer Services in my poor wrecked head!

NanaBob22 wrote: »
    Can anyone help with a few questions about eir and my broadband?..
    I'm currently paying almost 60 euro a month on a rolling contract for what they describe on my bill as "eir fibre" and "eir Talk Pay as you Use". I have a 15mbps download speed and about 3mbps upload speed. I still have the same f2000 modem I got back in 2016. Am I actually getting what I'm paying for??
    Spent 3 hours over the past 2 days trying to contact them by phone and nothing.
    I live about 1km from the nearest cabinet if that makes any difference. Surely I could get that kind of speed cheaper elsewhere?

Any suggestions or comments greatly appreciated. Sorry I forgot to say that at first, but I can still hear the 'On-Hold' music from Customer Services in my poor wrecked head!

No idea as I couldn't say what the 'eir Talk Pay as you Use' bit is worth to you and it complicates the issue.

If it was just broadband, then the Eir price is terrible, you would get that speed from Sky for €35 a month: https://www.sky.com/ireland/broadband-talk?irct=roi-shophome-pod6-broadband

Don't even have a phone!... haven't since day one. I only use Broadband and nothing else. It's only lately, since the whole "Lock-down" thing, that I've paid any attention to internet speed etc. Now that I'm thinking about newer devices and services I've been wondering more and more.
    Many thanks for replying...first time on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Spoon1236

NanaBob22, I'm in the same boat as you. With Eir at the moment, out of contract and looking elsewhere, as Eir is expensive. If you want to stay with eir, change your router to something else. I did and my speeds doubled and my wireless no longer drops out like it did with the F2000 router, it's junk. Do a bit of googling to make sure you get the right router, it's worth doing if you're staying with eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Yeah, it gets TV and Digital+HD, but nothing else. Funny thing is I'm checking neighbor buildings and they all get full speeds. I thought FTTC would benefit everyone around the cabinets, unless there's something I'm missing here and the connection between the cabinets and this specific building has been neglected for so long that it's just beyond repair.

Sometimes apartment developers or management companies go exclusive with one provider. I know Smithfield Market (a reasonably upscale development in D7) only had Digiweb Midband until relatively recently....

Spoon1236 wrote: »
    NanaBob22, I'm in the same boat as you. With Eir at the moment, out of contract and looking elsewhere, as Eir is expensive. If you want to stay with eir, change your router to something else. I did and my speeds doubled and my wireless no longer drops out like it did with the F2000 router, it's junk. Do a bit of googling to make sure you get the right router, it's worth doing if you're staying with eir.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll bear it in mind. Not so sure I'll be staying with Eir though..enough is enough sometimes! Nobody should have to jump through so many hoops to get something as basic as a decent internet connection, not in 2020.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Have contracted with both Eir and Magnet the past 2 months.

Have cancelled with Eir and am probably going to cancel with Magnet.

They both sold me "fibre" broadband, but I've now had two Magnet engineers visit the house and tell me that there is no fibre broadband in my area.

Both Magnet engineers have told me the fastest speed I can get on the line that Eir previously installed is 4mb download speed.

Unbelieveable. The entire comms industry is a f*cking sh*tshow.

I will say that Magnet's service has been excellent, the initial lie notwithstanding. Eir on the other hand is the worst company I've ever dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Have contracted with both Eir and Magnet the past 2 months.

Have cancelled with Eir and am probably going to cancel with Magnet.

They both sold me "fibre" broadband, but I've now had two Magnet engineers visit the house and tell me that there is no fibre broadband in my area.

Both Magnet engineers have told me the fastest speed I can get on the line that Eir previously installed is 4mb download speed.

Unbelieveable. The entire comms industry is a f*cking sh*tshow.

I will say that Magnet's service has been excellent, the initial lie notwithstanding. Eir on the other hand is the worst company I've ever dealt with.

Did you check your eircode on the nbi.ie website?

joe123 wrote: »
    Did you check your eircode on the nbi.ie website?

I hadn't, no.

Just checked now and it tells me we're "Your premises is not in the Intervention Area, as other service providers operate there."

Of the existing network, it says "Internet service providers have indicated they offer speeds of 30mbps or greater in your locality."

We were with Virginmedia before and they piped in their broadband through a coaxial cable, which resulted in a satisfactory service. Eir and Magnet are piping in their broadband through the phone line.

Think we'll go back to virginmedia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

Hi
    Does anyone have any experience/feedback with pure telecom?
    They currently have an offer of €25 a month for 12 months and then €45 a month after.
    Am with Eir at the moment, which has been grand for the last few years but it recently went up to €60 a month from around €35.
    Thanks for reading

I hadn't, no.

Just checked now and it tells me we're "Your premises is not in the Intervention Area, as other service providers operate there."

Of the existing network, it says "Internet service providers have indicated they offer speeds of 30mbps or greater in your locality."

We were with Virginmedia before and they piped in their broadband through a coaxial cable, which resulted in a satisfactory service. Eir and Magnet are piping in their broadband through the phone line.

After I read this I went and checked it myself...very same results! The more I have looked into all this the more confused I seem to get. It seems all these "High-Speed Broadband" speeds are zipping around my area without me!!
    I would be happy enough with the minimum 30mbps speed at a decent price, as it is I'm paying E60 for less than half that.
    Good Luck in your search!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

I hadn't, no.

Yeah if you can get Virgin then that will rule you out of the NBI even if FTTH isnt available through OpenEir/ Siro as far as Im aware.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Looking at buying a house in a rural area, finding it hard to establish what broadband is available. Spoke to a local nearby who said Imagine but they said their site is full and would be put on a waiting list.

On the eir rollout site the yellow line stops 1.1km away from this particular house - on the same road.

NBI website says the house is in an intervention area.

Anyone have any idea what sort of timeline that would involve?

Location is about 5km from Summerhill in Meath.

Advertisement