Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Yellow Dog

wilser wrote: »
    Hi
    Does anyone have any experience/feedback with pure telecom?
    They currently have an offer of €25 a month for 12 months and then €45 a month after.
    Am with Eir at the moment, which has been grand for the last few years but it recently went up to €60 a month from around €35.
    Thanks for reading

I am also interested in this offer.

Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,728 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Vikings wrote: »
    Looking at buying a house in a rural area, finding it hard to establish what broadband is available. Spoke to a local nearby who said Imagine but they said their site is full and would be put on a waiting list.

On the eir rollout site the yellow line stops 1.1km away from this particular house - on the same road.

NBI website says the house is in an intervention area.

Anyone have any idea what sort of timeline that would involve?

Location is about 5km from Summerhill in Meath.

You could try the Airwire availability checker and see if it has any better news: https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Yellow Dog wrote: »
    I am also interested in this offer.

Any advice?

Pure and Eir work off the same Network.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

Pure and Eir work off the same Network.

Happy enough with the Eir service, so Pure should be the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

cnocbui wrote: »
    You could try the Airwire availability checker and see if it has any better news: https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail

Tried that also, no joy. Eir have offered 12mb VDSL.

Eir & Vodafone can provide mobile broadband - of which I've no experience.

Would either be able to keep up with Netflix & YouTube being streamed simultaneously across 2/3 devices?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Vikings wrote: »
    Tried that also, no joy. Eir have offered 12mb VDSL.

Eir & Vodafone can provide mobile broadband - of which I've no experience.

Would either be able to keep up with Netflix & YouTube being streamed simultaneously across 2/3 devices?

Entirely depends on how good of an area you are in for the mobile connection. Some people get excellent speeds on mobile that would be decent enough for multiple devices. I get about 15mb/s on a mobile router and while it is handles Netflix/Youtube on one device quite well, if I add another it becomes a waste of time. Only real way to find out is to buy a SIM card and test it yourself.

wilser wrote: »
    Happy enough with the Eir service, so Pure should be the same?

100%. You'll have the same speed etc. The only difference is the customer service and billing aspects etc.

However from the Network side of things both Eir and Pure rent the same lines so the speeds will be the same. I don't believe Pure use Virgin /Siro also.

100%. You'll have the same speed etc. The only difference is the customer service and billing aspects etc.

However from the Network side of things both Eir and Pure rent the same lines so the speeds will be the same. I don't believe Pure use Virgin /Siro also.

Do they have the same contention?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭forumdedum

I am with Eir. Download 14Mbps, upload 0.8Mbps

Eir's customer service is simply diabolical and I am moving my business elsewhere.

Virgin not available in my area.

From my research I believe I can get part fibre in my area. I see Vodafone/Eir are 100MB (not sure what that means) and Sky is 75. Is that a huge difference? I already have Sky TV.

Advice welcome. My landline is connected to Eir and Broadband at the moment. I hardly use that phone but it's set up with my house alarm.

Happy to get new house alarm mobile/watch system too. Need to research best provider for that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

forumdedum wrote: »
    I am with Eir. Download 14Mbps, upload 0.8Mbps

Eir's customer service is simply diabolical and I am moving my business elsewhere.

Virgin not available in my area.

From my research I believe I can get part fibre in my area. I see Vodafone/Eir are 100MB (not sure what that means) and Sky is 75. Is that a huge difference? I already have Sky TV.

Advice welcome. My landline is connected to Eir and Broadband at the moment. I hardly use that phone but it's set up with my house alarm.

Happy to get new house alarm mobile/watch system too. Need to research best provider for that too.

Might be a limitation on your distance to the exchange.

How far away from it are you ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭forumdedum

limnam wrote: »
    Might be a limitation on your distance to the exchange.

How far away from it are you ?

How would I check this please?

• Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

forumdedum wrote: »
    How would I check this please?

Send us a PM if you'd like with the CLI (Telephone number) and we can run a Prequal on the line to see max attanable speed and distance from the cabinet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Hi guys, moving up to Dublin 12 in two weeks and need to decide what broadband provider to go with (along with TV). From reading the thread it feels like no provider offers the perfect service :pac:

All providers seem to be available in the area (vodafone 70mb, eir 80mb, can't seem to find exact speeds with Sky or Virgin). A number of friends have had issues with Virgin in the past, my parents are with vodafone which is the one I have been using for the last few years and haven't had any major problems although it is a bit laggy at times (I think it is just the location of the house mainly).

Anyone here recommend any of the above in particular before I make a decision?

cnocbui wrote: »
    Do they have the same contention?

Do who have the same contention?

Hi guys, moving up to Dublin 12 in two weeks and need to decide what broadband provider to go with (along with TV). From reading the thread it feels like no provider offers the perfect service :pac:

All providers seem to be available in the area (vodafone 70mb, eir 80mb, can't seem to find exact speeds with Sky or Virgin). A number of friends have had issues with Virgin in the past, my parents are with vodafone which is the one I have been using for the last few years and haven't had any major problems although it is a bit laggy at times (I think it is just the location of the house mainly).

Anyone here recommend any of the above in particular before I make a decision?

Depends on what you're looking for?

Check out bonkers.ie or switcher and compare

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Debs91

Hi,

I’m looking to get wireless broadband in North Kerry (Brosna) area, mostly used for browsing/streaming.

Currently getting 10mps download with Kernet.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Deborah

Debs91 wrote: »
    Hi,

I’m looking to get wireless broadband in North Kerry (Brosna) area, mostly used for browsing/streaming.

Currently getting 10mps download with Kernet.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Deborah

There seems to be some fibre to the home (FTTH) available on some roads in that area. It might be worth checking if you are lucky enough to have it available: https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail

If so, you would be able to get up to 1000 Mbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

Quick question or advice please

Currently eir residential bb customers on FTTC - the cabinet is less than 100m from the house.

We have being trying to get FTTH and are having no luck. My wife would like to get a business line in as she is currently working from home. I spoke to eir business yesterday and they could run another line from the cabinet to the house to meet her needs.

I was told the following that as an eir business customer the business line would have priority in the cabinet, there would be no sharing of capacity.

On another note a few weeks ago I spoke to an open eir technician while he was working on the cabinet and the speed capacity here is 130GB.

Is any of the above true or is it just a sales pitch? Plus if they are going to run another copper wire to the house for a business account - could they just as easily run fibre.

Any advice would be great.

thank you

You won't get FTTH as you are too close to a cabinet and would get good speeds over copper. Fibre may go to cabinets, but AFAIK, it never leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Hey guys. We've had problems with dropping connection for months on eir fibre broadband. Engineers came out none have had many ideas. We've tried everything. We want to move but I'm wondering if we switch to another provider they won't have engineers that will be able to diagnose and resolve our line issues? Do eir manage all the infrastructure and we'll end up being in the same situation?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

Just made a post on the tipperary thread. Just wondering if anyone can tell me how the eir service is in clonmel do tipp. Thinking of leaving virgin as they want 95 euro for tv on 2 sets and bb.
    Eir have a deal at minute and sky also.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

What's the process in switching from copper pair to fibre to the home? The techs will obviously connect the house to the but will I need a new router, for example I currently have the Sky Q hub, does that need to be replaced?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Is there any provider that isn't complete sh***? Ordered with Vodafone two weeks ago, they have given me two "appointments" for an engineer to come out and install and the engineers were no shows both days, contacted KN group myself then who do their installations and they told me they have no record of anything under my name or address.

Virgin Media are impossible to contact. Whether it is live chat or phone, I must have tried contacting them 5 times now and have yet to even get through to anyone.

Eir have by far the most negative reviews on this thread and elsewhere so can only imagine what they are like.

Really just want to get broadband installed ASAP now and would love to go with whoever can do it quickest. Based in Dublin 12, how long does it take for most companies to come out and install?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭FionnK86

I'm with Sky (90 mb) and moving out, want to keep Sky in new house but I've been paying €55 and see they're offering €30 to new customers.

Has anyone ever 'haggled' with provider for better deal? Vodafone offering same up to 100 mb for €30 (anyone used vodafone?) . So I could tell Sky I'm just going to Vodafone but not sure if guy/girl over phone can cut deals?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Unless you need to keep the phone number would you not just call to cancel the full account and get a new install in the new house and get new customer pricing for broadband and tv

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    Unless you need to keep the phone number would you not just call to cancel the full account and get a new install in the new house and get new customer pricing for broadband and tv

Yes, I don't use the landline - I'll do that so. They told me I could keep equipment as Ive had it for 3 years. Will they give me newer box?

FionnK86 wrote: »
    Yes, I don't use the landline - I'll do that so. They told me I could keep equipment as Ive had it for 3 years. Will they give me newer box?

Yeah definitely. I would definitely be signing up as a new customer. If you were unfortunate enough for one of the boxes to fail on you they'd charge you through the nose for a replacement one. They do require 31 days notice for cancelling but that's exactly what I'd be doing anyway.

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    Yeah definitely. I would definitely be signing up as a new customer. If you were unfortunate enough for one of the boxes to fail on you they'd charge you through the nose for a replacement one. They do require 31 days notice for cancelling but that's exactly what I'd be doing anyway.

I already cancelled but was going to tell them they could keep it running if i could go down to €30 grand so, maybe switch to vodafone in Aug 21 too id same offer applies.

FionnK86 wrote: »
    I already cancelled but was going to tell them they could keep it running if i could go down to €30 grand so, maybe switch to vodafone in Aug 21 too id same offer applies.

I've tried several times over the years to get the price of the broadband down after the initial 12 months. They sometimes will offer either €5 or €8 off the broadband per month but its never anywhere near new customer pricing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 A55A55IN8R

Does anyone have any opinions of Airwire versus vodafone 1 Gigabit fibre to the home? I'm not sure which provider to go for, since vodafone upped their first year price to 50 euro a month, it's not that much cheaper than Airwire. Plus airwire actually advertise their upload speed of 200 mbps, apparently provide a decent router and also advertise a decent contention rate of 16:1.

Advertisement