Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Kildalkey

Hi, I suspect this is often asked, but what can I expect from Imagine Broadband? They are promising a minimum speed of 40mbs, only 450 connections per mast etc. I am currently on Vodafone in Meath and can't get into double figures. I am told that this is all I can expect from my line, despite my neighbours on both sides achieving over 40mbs with Vodafone, same houses built at the same time. What Imagine are offering is very tempting. Any reason not to go for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Consonata

Kildalkey wrote: »
    Hi, I suspect this is often asked, but what can I expect from Imagine Broadband? They are promising a minimum speed of 40mbs, only 450 connections per mast etc. I am currently on Vodafone in Meath and can't get into double figures. I am told that this is all I can expect from my line, despite my neighbours on both sides achieving over 40mbs with Vodafone, same houses built at the same time. What Imagine are offering is very tempting. Any reason not to go for them?

So we tried to set up Imagine here, but they weren’t able to get any signal, so instead we went off line and started using Mobile Broadband, and we’re getting 15-20mb down which is a huge improvement on our 1mb down before. We’re also ordering a mast off amazon to attach to the aerial and that should push our connection into the 50s

If this works for you I would recommend. Check what sort of mobile broadband connection is like in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭adocholiday

I am with eir for all services (phone, fibre, TV and mobile) and out of contract now so my bill is substantially more than it should be. I've also had shockingly poor wifi from the router since I got it and simply sick of it now.

Luckily I have fibre so my internet connection is great, but not sure which provider is best between Vodafone and Sky. Does anyone know what kind of offers eir's loyalty team are offering at the moment? They're only offering me a €10 monthly discount online at the moment which is still much worse value than Sky or Vodafone packages.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Kildalkey wrote: »
    Any reason not to go for them?

Read this thread: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057558377

Especially the last few pages.

450 customers per mast is one thing, but the question is how much bandwidth there is at the mast. In a lot of rural areas, they can only get 300-1000 Mbit/s total to the mast, depending on what infrastructure they use to bring it in. And that is not a lot to service 450 customers at the speeds they promise.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭deisedude

Stewball wrote: »
    I ordered it last Wednesday - received it Friday - but it's not working because the SIM can't be activated. It can take 3-5 days to get it "activated". Their customer care is useless.

Will keep that in mind. Let me know How it goes for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Stewball

deisedude wrote: »
    Will keep that in mind. Let me know How it goes for you

I went the weekend without broadband and got sorted Monday evening after countless calls and online chats with useless agents.

The speed of the broadband isn't great - but it's a slight improvement on Eir's coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭chewed

Is anyone on the Voadafone Fibre packages? I'm looking at the 1000mbps package - 12 months contract, for 20 Euros per month for 6 months, 80 Euros for the remaining 6 months and €90.00 thereafter. €600 for the year.

Seems like a good deal, but not sure what their service is like and do they have a good modem they provide?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Kildalkey

Hi
    I'm considering switching from Vodafone to Imagine (and posted about it above) but before I do thought I would explain my situation in the hope that someone on this thread would have some insights into what is causing my line speed issues.

I am on vodafone and live not surprisingly by my name in Kildalkey in Meath. The max speeds I get are 8/9 mbs but recently often the speedtest fails to load. I have been on to tech support multiple times and have been told that 15mbs is the most my line could manage so I am doing well. I have had that echoed by other isp's like eir and Sky. My issue is that my neighbours on either side are coincidentally with vodafone and both achieve speeds of in excess of 40mbs. Same houses, built at the same time.

No one has been able to explain why this might be and whether I can do anything about it, hence my plan to move to Imagine despite misgivings about their service.

Anyone have any insights into why this might be? Would love to find a way to resolve it without moving to Imagine. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Fant11

Hi,

Moving to douglas in cork city and am looking for information on best service provider. Will be working remotely so need decent speed and reliability.

Thinking of going with Sky as will be getting the Sky tv package. Anyone any insight?

Also, am intrigued about SIRO but does this mean wires everywhere around the house?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 meercat1

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone can help an absolute beginner.

We have ordered eir fibre broadband and have a survey arranged for Wednesday of this week. We are in a new build house. We have cat5e cables.

We have previously ordered eir broadband and had a survey completed and the man who was out said it 'was an easy job'. However when we followed up we were told that the 'cabinet is full' and we couldn't get broadband. We've been hotspotting off my phone in the interim but with WFH it is practically useless.

However we tried again last week as we seem to be in the green area for high speed broadband now. When we rang we were told it was no problem.

We tried to confirm if it was FTTC or FTTH but we didn't really get an answer.

Would I be correct in saying that if the cabinet was full the last time (about a year ago) it is likely still full now? We also don't seem to be covered for FTTH or is FTTH done on a house by house basis? IE could they instal it at our house as we have all the cables?

Any direction for a beginner is appreciated in advance of our survey!

Should've added im in Tullamore, co. Offaly.

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Baoithin66

I am with eir for all services (phone, fibre, TV and mobile) and out of contract now so my bill is substantially more than it should be. I've also had shockingly poor wifi from the router since I got it and simply sick of it now.

Luckily I have fibre so my internet connection is great, but not sure which provider is best between Vodafone and Sky. Does anyone know what kind of offers eir's loyalty team are offering at the moment? They're only offering me a €10 monthly discount online at the moment which is still much worse value than Sky or Vodafone packages.

Hi did you get sorted? I am now in the same position and getting through to Eir to find out what they offer is nearly impossible

• Registered Users Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

meercat1 wrote: »
    Would I be correct in saying that if the cabinet was full the last time (about a year ago) it is likely still full now? We also don't seem to be covered for FTTH or is FTTH done on a house by house basis? IE could they instal it at our house as we have all the cables?

Any direction for a beginner is appreciated in advance of our survey!

In that year a slot or slots may have freed up in the cabinet due to people cancelling.

Regarding FTTH go to the NBI website and enter your eircode or the NBP intervention map on the Dept of Communications website.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 meercat1

The Cush wrote: »
    In that year a slot or slots may have freed up in the cabinet due to people cancelling.

Regarding FTTH go to the NBI website and enter your eircode or the NBP intervention map on the Dept of Communications website.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, you're very good. I checked the website and apparently we are in the blue area.

What seems a little vague to me, is that 'operators are either delivering or planning to deliver high speed broadband'. Does being in the blue area mean anything different with regards to our planned survey?

It would feel like a massive waste of time to have them out again only to get the same response (taking day off work to hear the cabinet is full etc). I tried to explain this to them on the phone but was told we'd get fibre broadband 'either way' so here's hoping!

meercat1 wrote: »
    What seems a little vague to me, is that 'operators are either delivering or planning to deliver high speed broadband'. Does being in the blue area mean anything different with regards to our planned survey?

Unfortunately there is no direct link between the NBP intervention map and whether the cabinet is full. The map simply indicates that your location is served by the commercial operators with at least 30 Mbps. Only when they come out will you know for sure that there's a spare port in the cabinet

Regarding urban FTTH, eir are rolling out fibre direct to the home which will eventually replace copper from the cabinet (FTTC/VDSL) - https://www.eir.ie/pressroom/eir-launches-0.5-billion-fixed-network-investment-programme/

• Registered Users Posts: 10 evostic

http://hip.comHi All,

I’m moving into a new build in Wicklow Town. Just trying to figure out what my Broadband options are as my address is not being reliably recognised when I call the providers.

There are two cabinets on the side of the property. The first is marked Eir, and the second is marked Virgin Media.

I have attached images of what I see when opening the cabinets:

Eir cabinet: a piece of rope that appears to have something attached when I pull, but I dare not pull too hard!

Virgin Media cabinet: various black coax cables with four feeding into the house (there are indeed 4 end points wired with coax in the house). However, I also see a green cable with a yellow cap, and a black and yellow cable. The coax is probably VM, but what of the other cables, SIRO perhaps?

VM, Eir Fibre, and SIRO are all recently active around the area.

Be great if anyone knows more.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlUVOYD94XutltYkZpMBW-EPau3htQ
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlUVOYD94XutltYjCIDwlZYExuxTZQ

Thanks!

The cabinets are ETUs - https://www.goodwins.ie/products/Cable-Telecom-ETU-Box-Only-White.html

The eir one just has a pull rope for when they install copper or future fibre from a manhole somewhere outside the premises.

The black/yellow cable in the VM box is probably their regular co-ax feed to the property but I'm not sure what he green one is, a future VM fibre feed to the house? Have you pulled the cap off the green cable to have a look?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 I Smell a Shill

The black/yellow and green are not cables, they are ducts likely for fibre as Virgin expand their footprint.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 evostic

OK, thank you guys, hopes dashed that the green one might be a stray SIRO cable ! Hoping that Fibre may be connectable through the Eir ETU...!

The black/yellow and green are not cables, they are ducts likely for fibre as Virgin expand their footprint.

Why the 2 ducts? Fibre and co-ax?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 I Smell a Shill

The Cush wrote: »
    Why the 2 ducts? Fibre and co-ax?

I presume so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Has anyone had any dealings with Regional Broadband ? Kildare area . 30 MBs for 38 euro per month - 14 days cooling off if not happy - all seems ok on paper “wireless / mobile network
    Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Hi folks,
    I live in rural downings,county donegal.

I've had a crappy vodafone "dongle" that sits in the window and I'm about to tear my hair out because of it.

Zoom calls/skypes etc have been impossible with clients.

I've used switcher/bonkers.ie but I really don't want to take the gamble on a provider and then the service to be crap when I have it!

I've been coming up here for years but I only moved with my wife last year so we don't really know the neighbours well enough to ask such a question.

I've been on EIR/Vodafone/SKy/Virgin/Three website to check their coverage map, but it's hard to tell whether reception is good...

Thank you in advance!! Best quote I've gotten is €40 per month from Sky, €30 per month from virgin which goes up after 6 months.. a bit higher than i wanted to pay to be honest with you. My son gets cheaper and he lives in dublin city!!

They all try to sell you a phone line as well? which i don't have or want. it's really just for browsing/admin. I alreadyhave Sky TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Have you checked airwire.ie/avail to see what is available to you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Just been on it now yeah thanks. their offerings are €40 per month also.

and saying we can get VDSL whatever that is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

CBear1993 wrote: »

VDSL is FTTC so proper broadband through the phoneline. This normally means you'll get better broadband using fixed line broadband than mobile broadband. Vodafone are doing it for €20 for the first 6 months and then €35 for the second 6 months and free connection. Eir are €29.99 per month but with a €50 connection fee.

If you're in a contract for the dongle Vodafone used to waive the rest of the contract if you got fixedline broadband installed with them too- worth checking that out.

CBear1993 wrote: »

FTTC/VDSL (up to 100 Mbps) speed vs. line distance, via copper phoneline from a cabinet or local exchange

untitled2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Baoithin66 wrote: »
    Hi did you get sorted? I am now in the same position and getting through to Eir to find out what they offer is nearly impossible

Sorry just seeing this now. No didn't get sorted been dragging my feet on it. Going to sort this week probably move to Vodafone for pricing alone.

Hi guys, quick question about Sky siro.

Looking at installing 1gb, 40 euro per month for first 12 months.

As this 1gb rises to 95 euro a month after the first year, can I simply downgrade to 150mbs broadband and pay 75 euro or switch provider? Is this what a lot of ppl are doing as the cost after 12 months is prohibitive.

Fant11 wrote: »
    Hi guys, quick question about Sky siro.

Looking at installing 1gb, 40 euro per month for first 12 months.

As this 1gb rises to 95 euro a month after the first year, can I simply downgrade to 150mbs broadband and pay 75 euro or switch provider? Is this what a lot of ppl are doing as the cost after 12 months is prohibitive.

Just to add; SIRO website & Sky website both saying 1gb speeds available at my house. However, Eir saying only 100mbs. Why would there not be consistency with each provider?

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

Fant11 wrote: »
    Just to add; SIRO website & Sky website both saying 1gb speeds available at my house. However, Eir saying only 100mbs. Why would there not be consistency with each provider?

Because Eir don't sell the Siro service they have their own network which they wholesale to other providers and also retail to customers, Siro don't sell directly to customer's they provide it through a list of retailers

Advertisement