Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

From looking at the posting in the first post, as well as going through Vodafones questionnaire, it would seem my mate in Enfeild will be able to get Vodafone broadband without having to pay line rental?

He didn't use the landline in his last house, but doesn't have any fixed broadband nor a landline now, and wants to not have to pay for line rental which he will not use. He has Sky for the channels (has kids, so will probably be keeping Sky for their viewing), so will only be looking for broadband.

Could someone confirm that Vodafone sells broadband without line rental being a charge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

the_syco wrote: »

Could someone confirm that Vodafone sells broadband without line rental being a charge?

It's all down to the way they word it. I don't think any provider list a line rental fee anymore. Of course if they are using the Open Eir network they will have to pay Eir for access. They will have to cover this in the cost they charge the customer but they do not list it.

Some will have a broadband only package and some will have a broadband and calls(and sometimes tv) packages.
    Vodafone do have a broadband only option but so do other providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

When you order broadband from a provider, they will generally sort a line for you these days. You don't have to have a line in the first place.

So the "rental" is included in the broadband pricing.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 36 joey801

Hi everybody, I’m looking for advice on broadband providers. My town recently got fiber but my estate wasn’t connected. I’ve been told by Eir that I can get up to 70Mb and Vodafone up to 50Mb. I’m about 300m from the exchange and less than 100m from the main road where the cable runs.

I currently have Eir landline and broadband from Ripplecom(8Mb) so want to combine the two but not sure who to go with. After introductory offers I’ve been quoted, Eir €70pm, Vodafone €55pm and Sky €62.50pm for bb and all calls. Just wondering which of these have the most reliable service and bb speeds? I didn’t include Imagine because of some negative comments I’ve read?

Thanks
    Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭celiam

the_syco wrote: »
    From looking at the posting in the first post, as well as going through Vodafones questionnaire, it would seem my mate in Enfeild will be able to get Vodafone broadband without having to pay line rental?

He didn't use the landline in his last house, but doesn't have any fixed broadband nor a landline now, and wants to not have to pay for line rental which he will not use. He has Sky for the channels (has kids, so will probably be keeping Sky for their viewing), so will only be looking for broadband.

have just signed up to vodafone simply broadband,just broadband no phone but i have found that sometimes it is cheaper to go with phone and broadband even if you never use the phone.
    try bonkers.ie and you can compare prices

• Advertisement

celiam wrote: »
    have just signed up to vodafone simply broadband,just broadband no phone but i have found that sometimes it is cheaper to go with phone and broadband even if you never use the phone.
    try bonkers.ie and you can compare prices

Bonkers will only give you mainstream large providers (as they pay them) so a bit more research may give you better deals.

/M

I'm trying to call Eir's broadband sales team but am abroad and the 1800 number isn't working. Does anyone have their broadband sales number with international prefix (I want to avoid web chat).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭chewed

I'm trying to call Eir's broadband sales team but am abroad and the 1800 number isn't working. Does anyone have their broadband sales number with international prefix (I want to avoid web chat).

Try +353 1 701 5609 (or you could try +353 1 678 8888, but you may have to ask to be put through to Broadband support)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Don't want to make a separate thread, does anyone know if Google WiFi is compatible with Virgin internet? Think I have the Hub 3 box. The wifi signal to parts of my house is absolutely terrible to the point of not working at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Stewball

Thinking about switching over to Imagine in north Connemara area. I'm in their coverage map and a friend of mine recommends them.

Anyone encounter any problems with them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

Stewball wrote: »
    Thinking about switching over to Imagine in north Connemara area. I'm in their coverage map and a friend of mine recommends them.

Anyone encounter any problems with them?
    If you have no other option they are good

Ultimanemo wrote: »
    If you have no other option they are good

My other options are Eir or Vodafone 4G - which can be unreliable especially Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

Don't want to make a separate thread, does anyone know if Google WiFi is compatible with Virgin internet? Think I have the Hub 3 box. The wifi signal to parts of my house is absolutely terrible to the point of not working at all.

The Virgin hub is woeful for WiFi full stop, I use mine in Modem mode and pair it with my Asus Router, I live in a 1 bed apartment and the WiFi barely worked in the bedroom, new router, now have full 500mb over WiFi anywhere in my apartment, and even 2 stories down

I don't see why the Google WiFi wouldnt work

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I'm moving to Cabinteely, Dublin soon. Can anyone recommend a good 100mb broadband package? I have a decent WiFi router of my own...

Bundled TV isn't necessary, & only required if it's dirt cheap.

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I'm moving to Cabinteely, Dublin soon. Can anyone recommend a good 100mb broadband package? I have a decent WiFi router of my own...

Bundled TV isn't necessary, & only required if it's dirt cheap.

Cabinteely has lots of options. It depends on the premise. SIRO is available in a lot of D18. Virgin is present in a lot of places.

And for VDSL products, there's a list of providers here: https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

You will need to be more specific.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

I've Vodafone up to 70MB at the moment. Thinking of moving to eir for the free eirsports & Amazon Prime deal. I know all the negatives regarding customer service etc. One question does anybody know how there new router compares Versus the standard Vodafone fibre router. Wifi speed is terrible over the weekend sometimes. I know its the same broadband resold but if the modem was a bit better that would be a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 MatthewBen

Hi,

Struggling to get proper broadband on bohernabreena road.

I have sky asdl and rural wifi . Both intermittent.

Does anybody know of a good provider in this area.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Vivienne23

Anyone any suggestions for broadband in west limerick

Currently have eir getting 1.5mb speeds ( up from 0.36 after a fault getting fixed )

I have spoken to the loyalty team who have been most helpful and very friendly but after our chat , top speed we can hope for in our area is 2.5 to 3mb

Imagine are doing a drive in our area at the moment I’m seriously considering going with them but I have read very negative reviews online and am concerned of opting into a 24 month contract

Siro or fibre not available , bbnet is available but we want to keep landline for the rare time we use it they don’t offer this service over fixed wireless

Any thoughts?

Vivienne23 wrote: »
    bbnet is available but we want to keep landline for the rare time we use it they don’t offer this service over fixed wireless

You can always go BBnet, then get the landline number from somewhere like Goldfish or the likes.

If you talk to them, they may even provide you or sell you a Fritz!Box router with phone capabilities and you just set it up to use your own VoIP provider then.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

An Eir lad caught me on the hop yesterday, seems to be half the price of Sky €100/50 for tv & broadband for roughly the same package,though I have heard Eir are a nightmare to deal with or anything goes wrong which Sky almost never does, stay or Go? Kells area

• Advertisement

An Eir lad caught me on the hop yesterday, seems to be half the price of Sky €100/50 for tv & broadband for roughly the same package,though I have heard Eir are a nightmare to deal with or anything goes wrong which Sky almost never does, stay or Go? Kells area

You need to check, what channels you get with that, if you actually use TV. Eirs TV service is pretty basic. And Eirs pricing goes up after a year .. sometimes they even hike the pricing half way through the contract.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 27 greengirl1968

anyone have experience with Pure Broadband - they're €20 a month on offer at the moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Marlow wrote: »
    You need to check, what channels you get with that, if you actually use TV. Eirs TV service is pretty basic. And Eirs pricing goes up after a year .. sometimes they even hike the pricing half way through the contract.

/M
    Thanks, yeah am happy with the channels, they have everything I need with option for extra kids channels.
    a bit worried that the internet might be crap, I work from home a lot, and the costumer service will take forever to fix it

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Vivienne23

Marlow wrote: »
    You can always go BBnet, then get the landline number from somewhere like Goldfish or the likes.

If you talk to them, they may even provide you or sell you a Fritz!Box router with phone capabilities and you just set it up to use your own VoIP provider then.

/M

Thanks Marlow I have decided to go with imagine in the end for ease of switching fingers crossed I’m in one of the less populated mast areas !

Sorry, made a balls of my initial post.

Currently with Virgin (250mb) but thinking of switch to Sky as it'd be far more bang for my buck TV/BB wise.

I currently fluctuate between 230-240mps download which is grand for me.

Sky's broadband offers vary from 1000mb down to 10mb. I've also heard that 75mb is Sky's limit due to their lines...

If I went with their 500mb deal, would I still get around the same download speed or will it plummet?

Much obliged.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,047 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Sorry, made a balls of my initial post.

Currently with Virgin (250mb) but thinking of switch to Sky as it'd be far more bang for my buck TV/BB wise.

I currently fluctuate between 230-240mps download which is grand for me.

Sky's broadband offers vary from 1000mb down to 10mb. I've also heard that 75mb is Sky's limit due to their lines...

If I went with their 500mb deal, would I still get around the same download speed or will it plummet?

Much obliged.

Virgin and Sky use different tech to deliver their broadband.

Sky use the Eir lines, so will offer the same as Eir (and Vodafone iirc).

To know what you would get from Sky, you need to check your Eir line. Bang your phone number/eircode into the Sky or Eir pages and see what they say your line can support.

Virgin and Sky use different tech to deliver their broadband.

Sky use the Eir lines, so will offer the same as Eir (and Vodafone iirc).

To know what you would get from Sky, you need to check your Eir line. Bang your phone number/eircode into the Sky or Eir pages and see what they say your line can support.

Sound job.

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated :)

Anyone know of Eir's Mobile Broadband bill pay plans?

There are 3 listed on the website:
    €15 for 15GB a month
    €20 for 20GB a month
    €30 for 50GB a month (I'm currently on this deal)

I've heard there is another for €52 for 250GB a month - but I can't find anything on their website.

Vodafone have a deal €40 for 300GB but Eir's coverage is more reliable at my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Mossy

Hi,

I'm looking to setup some Google Home or Amazon Echo speakers in a house that currently has no internet connection, and will only used to give internet access to the speakers.

I'm not expecting the speaker usage to be taxing on the internet connection, basic information questions, maybe at some point turning devices or switches on/off, also considering using Echo Connect for calls (in which case will be using Echo speakers).

The house is in Lucan, Co. Dublin and the landline is with eir.

I'm looking for the cheapest package that will be provide a reliable service for the above requirements.

Any suggestions?

Mossy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

I found Sky broadband to be excellent for my needs but I'm not mad about paying €55 a month for it.

Alternatives are:

1. Vodafone. €25 a month.
    2. Digiweb. €24.95 a month.

Is either any better than the other?

I called Sky to get the price down but they forwarded me straight to cancellation. Is the practice of Sky always giving introductory rates to keep customers a thing of the past?

Advertisement