Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

1717273747577»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Another cracking morning in D24, not a cloud to be seen nor a breath of wind to be felt. My wife's daffodils are looking fit and healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Yes absolutely beautiful sunshine and calm conditions in Firhouse D24.
    I've even been able to hang out washing to dry this week, amazing!
    Yesterday also very nice but had clouded over by afternoon, hopefully we might keep the sun a little longer today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Darwin

Just back from a long walk, stunning morning. Definitely cutting the grass today, it's driving me mad looking at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭mcburns07

What a sublime morning :) good for the soul. East Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭appledrop

Another absolutely stunning morning again today.

The sea was so calm and beautiful yesterday.

Not even a slight breeze and we had great fun making sandcastles and collecting shells on beach.

Of course we had to get ice cream despite the big long queue!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,477 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

yes doesn't get much better than this for me, make the most of it, happy sunday all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Goodbye winter 2020/2021, I won't remember you much in years to come.
    Roll on some spring warmth now please :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭6541

Thanks to everyone on Winter 20/21 - Reading all these threads kept me entertained throughout the long winter !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,666 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

An average winter in my books with its good moments like the 24 January localised snowfall and 6 December ice day/freezing fog but also its bad moments like how unsettled it was and late January to mid-February dull period. Not one I'll remember for how bad or how good it was overall.

Least it's ended on a grand note though, in fact the perfect end to winter for me. Since Thursday, it has been so nice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

last day of winter 2020/2021 and another mild, dry and sunny day. February is now ending as a very mild month, the mean at Dunsany is now at 6.0C with many stations across the country between 6.0 and 6.6C for February.

I think overall this might get classed as an average winter in general as the first 3 weeks of December were largely milder than average after a chilly start with frost and fog. The last 2 and a half weeks of February were also milder than average, often substantially so. We did have a cool spell from Christmas Eve to the beginning of the second week of February, however this cool spell was only slightly cooler than average for much of the time with only a handful of notably colder days in January and early February.

Local stats for Winter:

December
    mean: 4.5C (average 5.1C)
    Rainfall: 89mm

January
    mean: 3.5C (average 4.5C)
    Rainfall: 104.7mm

February (up to 27th)
    mean: 6.0C (average 4.5C)
    Rainfall: 100.5mm

It says it's like 7c here in Dublin but it doesn't feel cold at all. Is that just because there's no wind, and the sun is blazing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭highdef

It says it's like 7c here in Dublin but it doesn't feel cold at all. Is that just because there's no wind, and the sun is blazing?

Are you in the shade or the sunshine when you say it's not cold? Dublin airport and casement were both reporting 10° at 13:00 so my guess is that you are very near to the coast as the wind is from the east so nearer the coast is most likely cooler than inland a bit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭Shelby Foote

Sitting in a 11/12C warm back garden on 28 February, you can't beat it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,219 ✭✭✭pad199207

In full sun and no wind you’d swear it was May

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭snowgal

Yeah, it really is a lovely lovely day out there. The best day I’ve seen in a good few months :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

fantastic day today, puts most of June 2020 to August 2020 to shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Cloudy up here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Gonzo wrote: »

Yep, got out on the bike earlier and just got the grass cut for the 1st time this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Clear blue skies here in Mayo. Fab day :)

pad199207 wrote: »
    In full sun and no wind you’d swear it was May

You really would, once your in sunshine it's gorgeous.

Even in summer I'd always prefer a sunny day that's a bit cooler rather than one of those muggy days when they tell you it's 22 degrees but it's pointless really without the sun.

• Advertisement

Gonzo your like me still not over Summer 2020!

Summer 2020 had less sunshine than Autumn 2020 so that's tells us how crap it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Stunning day

My children are sunbathing in the garden in shorts and t-shirts.

Never thought I'd say that in Ireland in February

Today shows how air temperature isn’t everything. On a long walk I took off my jacket in what was supposedly 9-10 C. It felt warm in the sun. Last day of winter.

appledrop wrote: »

Summer 2020 had less sunshine than Autumn 2020 so that's tells us how crap it was.

Summer 2020 was probably the worst summer since the early 1980's here in South Meath/Dublin in terms of low temperatures, lack of any warmth, endless days of cloud and dank skies. July 2020 was actually worse than June 2019. Every spell of warmth and sunshine avoided the area after the Spring spell broke on June the 3rd. We got a slight recovery first week of September but summer was over by then. This summer should hopefully be a bit more sunnier, it can't be much worse than last summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,847 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

High pressure

Nothing to get too excited about

High pressure

Nothing to get too excited about

But we've had so little of it since Spring of last year so it is most welcome after almost 9 months of mostly damp and wet conditions.

I'm still not over last summer either. Really low cloud the whole time, a blanket of it, it was horrible.
    Sometimes I wish we could save days like today for July and August, when it'd be properly warm if the skies were blue.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

What a beautiful day, outside for much of it including lunch al fresco !

Got a respectable temp of 13.1C

1030.3 hPa down from 1036.5 hPa

Long may the High Pressure continue.

Some burning on the mountains today, hope that is the last of it but with the dry spell coming up I doubt it.

Tralee Bay looking Towards Brandon.

wbHKTt7.jpg?1

NASA

aRkmt4z.png?1

oIoLBOD.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

As is evident from the above pic it was cloudy here in Donegal for most of the day, cleared up in the evening after the sun already set but a nice day nonetheless. Great to be able to do some outdoor work again and seeing fresh buds on all the bushes

Glad to see the back of the winter all things considered, looking forward to some warmth and being able to have lunch in the garden again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

In the East. Was decent enough down here. Dublin had a little over 3 hours sun per day but here we had nearly 5 hours sun per day. Late July and early August was gorgeous. See https://www.met.ie/climate-statement-for-august-2020

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

In the East. Was decent enough down here. Dublin had a little over 3 hours sun per day but here we had nearly 5 hours sun per day. Late July and early August was gorgeous. See https://www.met.ie/climate-statement-for-august-2020

Ah I know it was in Dublin/Meath it was crap. I'll never forget start of August the rest of country had a heatwave +blue skies and every day in Dublin we kept waiting for 'clouds' to burn off as Met Eireann promised and everyday it never happened!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Ah I know it was in Dublin/Meath it was crap. I'll never forget start of August the rest of country had a heatwave +blue skies and every day in Dublin we kept waiting for 'clouds' to burn off as Met Eireann promised and everyday it never happened!

We had it in reverse in April and May. Down here it was OK but mostly cloudy, elsewhere it was like the Costa del sol! Swings and roundabouts in this country.

Interesting Gurteen in Tipperary had the least amount of sunshine at 275 hours. Dublin a decent bit more at 361 hours over the Summer period. August was dullest in Dublin yet it also recorded the least amount of rainfall at 85.1mm. Valentia the wettest recorded 219.7mm for August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Winter 2020-21 in South Laois stats:

Rainfall: 321.2mm (Average 260mm)
    December: 115.6mm (Average: 95mm)
    January: 92.3mm (Average: 95mm)
    February: 113.3mm (Average 70mm)
    Wettest Day: 16.6mm (January 29th)
    Driest Spell: 5 Days (Feb 7th to 11th)

Snowfall:
    Observed: December 27th, 30th, 31st, January 7th, 8th, 23rd, February 8th, 9th, 10th, 13th, 18th. (Total: 11)
    Lying Snowfall: December 31st, January 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 24th, February 13th. (Total: 7)
    Max depth 2cm.

Temperature:
    December: 4.6c (0.5c below average)
    January: 3.2c (1.6c below average)
    February: 5.9c (0.9c above average)
    Winter: 4.6c (0.4c below average)
    Maximum Temperature: 13.1c on February 14th (Only "teen" recorded)
    Minimum Temperature: -9.2c on January 9th (Coldest since March 1st 2018)
    Grass Minimum: -12.1c on January 9th
    Days above 10c: 34
    Air frosts: December 10, January 18, February 6, Total: 34
    Grass frosts: December 18, January 19, February 10, Total: 47

Wind:
    Gale gusts: December 2, January 1, February 9, Total: 12
    Top gust: 49mph on February 12th from direction: ESE
    Average wind speeds: December 7.2mph, January 5.6mph, February 10.6mph.
    Average wind directions: December NNW, January WSW, February SE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Artane2002

very dense freezing fog in Dublin 5, definitely one of the thickest fogs I can remember. I wasn't expecting to wake up to this :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭circadian

Foggy with a lovely frost here in D9. Calm as anything outside. Lovely fresh morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,219 ✭✭✭pad199207

Light fog in Kildare but white with frost -3°c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Artane2002 wrote: »
    very dense freezing fog in Dublin 5, definitely one of the thickest fogs I can remember. I wasn't expecting to wake up to this :)

it's already starting to lighten, yesterday's low cloud had no problem lingering for most of the day

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Lots of negativity over the last ten days over a cold spell. It’s hovered around 6c here today, not exactly warm for March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Summer 2020 was probably the worst summer since the early 1980's here in South Meath/Dublin in terms of low temperatures, lack of any warmth, endless days of cloud and dank skies. July 2020 was actually worse than June 2019. Every spell of warmth and sunshine avoided the area after the Spring spell broke on June the 3rd. We got a slight recovery first week of September but summer was over by then. This summer should hopefully be a bit more sunnier, it can't be much worse than last summer.
    I had a read back through the summer thread from 2020. It seems there’s a few comical Ali’s here who constantly talked up the summer when in reality it was how you described.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,958 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Good riddance winter 20/21. You were but an endless teaser. As for Summer 2020, some places in the south did get a lot of dry and bright weather at times, but in my location it was overcast alot of the time and rather cool.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Danno wrote: »
    Winter 2020-21 in South Laois stats:

Rainfall: 321.2mm (Average 260mm)
    December: 115.6mm (Average: 95mm)
    January: 92.3mm (Average: 95mm)
    February: 113.3mm (Average 70mm)
    Wettest Day: 16.6mm (January 29th)
    Driest Spell: 5 Days (Feb 7th to 11th)

Snowfall:
    Observed: December 27th, 30th, 31st, January 7th, 8th, 23rd, February 8th, 9th, 10th, 13th, 18th. (Total: 11)
    Lying Snowfall: December 31st, January 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 24th, February 13th. (Total: 7)
    Max depth 2cm.

Temperature:
    December: 4.6c (0.5c below average)
    January: 3.2c (1.6c below average)
    February: 5.9c (0.9c above average)
    Winter: 4.6c (0.4c below average)
    Maximum Temperature: 13.1c on February 14th (Only "teen" recorded)
    Minimum Temperature: -9.2c on January 9th (Coldest since March 1st 2018)
    Grass Minimum: -12.1c on January 9th
    Days above 10c: 34
    Air frosts: December 10, January 18, February 6, Total: 34
    Grass frosts: December 18, January 19, February 10, Total: 47

Wind:
    Gale gusts: December 2, January 1, February 9, Total: 12
    Top gust: 49mph on February 12th from direction: ESE
    Average wind speeds: December 7.2mph, January 5.6mph, February 10.6mph.
    Average wind directions: December NNW, January WSW, February SE.

I don’t have all the stats that you have for max temps, rainfall etc as I only recently uploaded my station online.

But we had around 20 days of falling snowfall this winter so far, and 9 days of snow cover.

This will increase substantially with altitude. Probably in excess of 30 days, maybe 40 at 300 metres.

Winter here was nothing more than a tease either. At least it did feel like winter some of the time compared to the previous two winters which were winter failed to arrive at all. Coldest day of the winter was from inversion right at the start of winter. Sunday 6th of December had a daytime high of -1C at Dunsany with freezing frost and fog. It become very mild after this and didn't cool down till Christmas Day and then average/slightly below average temperatures for the rest of December. It snowed twice in January but it was very light generally, roughly 1 to 2cm at the very most. The snow lay on the ground for 3 days at the very end of the first cold spell in January when temperatures became low enough. After this we went back to a cool period and then the easterly in early February which resulted in some light hail/graupel showers and some temporary dustings of ice. The mild broke through 2nd week of February and remained very mild for the rest of the winter. A true teaser winter which promised so much but delivered very little in terms of lying snow away from high ground/Mayo.

Hopefully we have better luck next winter in terms of lowland areas getting a decent snow covering. What happens up in the mountains doesn't really bother me as nobody lives there and you can't drive there either during lockdowns.

• Advertisement
Advertisement