Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It says it's like 7c here in Dublin but it doesn't feel cold at all. Is that just because there's no wind, and the sun is blazing?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

It says it's like 7c here in Dublin but it doesn't feel cold at all. Is that just because there's no wind, and the sun is blazing?

Are you in the shade or the sunshine when you say it's not cold? Dublin airport and casement were both reporting 10° at 13:00 so my guess is that you are very near to the coast as the wind is from the east so nearer the coast is most likely cooler than inland a bit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭Shelby Foote

Sitting in a 11/12C warm back garden on 28 February, you can't beat it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

In full sun and no wind you’d swear it was May

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭snowgal

Yeah, it really is a lovely lovely day out there. The best day I’ve seen in a good few months :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

fantastic day today, puts most of June 2020 to August 2020 to shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Cloudy up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Gonzo wrote: »

Yep, got out on the bike earlier and just got the grass cut for the 1st time this year

• Registered Users Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Clear blue skies here in Mayo. Fab day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

pad199207 wrote: »
    In full sun and no wind you’d swear it was May

You really would, once your in sunshine it's gorgeous.

Even in summer I'd always prefer a sunny day that's a bit cooler rather than one of those muggy days when they tell you it's 22 degrees but it's pointless really without the sun.

• Advertisement

Gonzo your like me still not over Summer 2020!

Summer 2020 had less sunshine than Autumn 2020 so that's tells us how crap it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Stunning day

My children are sunbathing in the garden in shorts and t-shirts.

Never thought I'd say that in Ireland in February

Today shows how air temperature isn’t everything. On a long walk I took off my jacket in what was supposedly 9-10 C. It felt warm in the sun. Last day of winter.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

appledrop wrote: »

Summer 2020 had less sunshine than Autumn 2020 so that's tells us how crap it was.

Summer 2020 was probably the worst summer since the early 1980's here in South Meath/Dublin in terms of low temperatures, lack of any warmth, endless days of cloud and dank skies. July 2020 was actually worse than June 2019. Every spell of warmth and sunshine avoided the area after the Spring spell broke on June the 3rd. We got a slight recovery first week of September but summer was over by then. This summer should hopefully be a bit more sunnier, it can't be much worse than last summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

High pressure

Nothing to get too excited about

High pressure

Nothing to get too excited about

But we've had so little of it since Spring of last year so it is most welcome after almost 9 months of mostly damp and wet conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I'm still not over last summer either. Really low cloud the whole time, a blanket of it, it was horrible.
    Sometimes I wish we could save days like today for July and August, when it'd be properly warm if the skies were blue.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

What a beautiful day, outside for much of it including lunch al fresco !

Got a respectable temp of 13.1C

1030.3 hPa down from 1036.5 hPa

Long may the High Pressure continue.

Some burning on the mountains today, hope that is the last of it but with the dry spell coming up I doubt it.

Tralee Bay looking Towards Brandon.

wbHKTt7.jpg?1

NASA

aRkmt4z.png?1

oIoLBOD.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

As is evident from the above pic it was cloudy here in Donegal for most of the day, cleared up in the evening after the sun already set but a nice day nonetheless. Great to be able to do some outdoor work again and seeing fresh buds on all the bushes

Glad to see the back of the winter all things considered, looking forward to some warmth and being able to have lunch in the garden again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

In the East. Was decent enough down here. Dublin had a little over 3 hours sun per day but here we had nearly 5 hours sun per day. Late July and early August was gorgeous. See https://www.met.ie/climate-statement-for-august-2020

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

In the East. Was decent enough down here. Dublin had a little over 3 hours sun per day but here we had nearly 5 hours sun per day. Late July and early August was gorgeous. See https://www.met.ie/climate-statement-for-august-2020

Ah I know it was in Dublin/Meath it was crap. I'll never forget start of August the rest of country had a heatwave +blue skies and every day in Dublin we kept waiting for 'clouds' to burn off as Met Eireann promised and everyday it never happened!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Ah I know it was in Dublin/Meath it was crap. I'll never forget start of August the rest of country had a heatwave +blue skies and every day in Dublin we kept waiting for 'clouds' to burn off as Met Eireann promised and everyday it never happened!

We had it in reverse in April and May. Down here it was OK but mostly cloudy, elsewhere it was like the Costa del sol! Swings and roundabouts in this country.

Interesting Gurteen in Tipperary had the least amount of sunshine at 275 hours. Dublin a decent bit more at 361 hours over the Summer period. August was dullest in Dublin yet it also recorded the least amount of rainfall at 85.1mm. Valentia the wettest recorded 219.7mm for August.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Winter 2020-21 in South Laois stats:

Rainfall: 321.2mm (Average 260mm)
    December: 115.6mm (Average: 95mm)
    January: 92.3mm (Average: 95mm)
    February: 113.3mm (Average 70mm)
    Wettest Day: 16.6mm (January 29th)
    Driest Spell: 5 Days (Feb 7th to 11th)

Snowfall:
    Observed: December 27th, 30th, 31st, January 7th, 8th, 23rd, February 8th, 9th, 10th, 13th, 18th. (Total: 11)
    Lying Snowfall: December 31st, January 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 24th, February 13th. (Total: 7)
    Max depth 2cm.

Temperature:
    December: 4.6c (0.5c below average)
    January: 3.2c (1.6c below average)
    February: 5.9c (0.9c above average)
    Winter: 4.6c (0.4c below average)
    Maximum Temperature: 13.1c on February 14th (Only "teen" recorded)
    Minimum Temperature: -9.2c on January 9th (Coldest since March 1st 2018)
    Grass Minimum: -12.1c on January 9th
    Days above 10c: 34
    Air frosts: December 10, January 18, February 6, Total: 34
    Grass frosts: December 18, January 19, February 10, Total: 47

Wind:
    Gale gusts: December 2, January 1, February 9, Total: 12
    Top gust: 49mph on February 12th from direction: ESE
    Average wind speeds: December 7.2mph, January 5.6mph, February 10.6mph.
    Average wind directions: December NNW, January WSW, February SE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Artane2002

very dense freezing fog in Dublin 5, definitely one of the thickest fogs I can remember. I wasn't expecting to wake up to this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭circadian

Foggy with a lovely frost here in D9. Calm as anything outside. Lovely fresh morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Light fog in Kildare but white with frost -3°c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Artane2002 wrote: »
    very dense freezing fog in Dublin 5, definitely one of the thickest fogs I can remember. I wasn't expecting to wake up to this :)

it's already starting to lighten, yesterday's low cloud had no problem lingering for most of the day

Advertisement