Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

The result and nature of the second half in particular is definitely worrying but I'd be holding off the panic until after the second Wales game.

If we're not seeing things going the right direction at that stage, it might point to a bigger underlying issue.

Nonsense though to suggest that the team should be in peak condition for the England game. They're professionals with a single goal at this point i.e. winning the World Cup. All training up to now will have been with that goal in mind and not towards putting in a full blooded win at all costs performance in Twickenham.

I wasn't expecting the team to be humming. But I also wasn't expecting them to look like they only just met up after the summer break an hour before kick off on Saturday

England were able to look semi competent in their first game

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭99problems1

Lose by 40+ points....it's just a pre season nothing game!

But if we had won by 40+ points everyone would be claiming we're back to our best and that the 6N was just a blip!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    I wasn't expecting the team to be humming. But I also wasn't expecting them to look like they only just met up after the summer break an hour before kick off on Saturday

England were able to look semi competent in their first game

I have talked to a number of England fans, they are are worried because they seem so far ahead of Ireland in terms of prep. Are they peaking too early is the concern. I think it was mentioned as well on the BBC? or maybe I was dreaming.

England are also a month out from playing any rugby in anger with just 1 game against Italy.....

But if we had won by 40+ points everyone would be claiming we're back to our best and that the 6N was just a blip!

Personally I wouldn't have....

Win/lose/draw it is a preseason game.

The only concern I had was the combinations didnt seem to be working. That's it. But 2 games to see if that is still the case

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

You have essentially just described the exact opposite of reality.

• Advertisement

Hit the nail on the head here. Fans are quick to react and get carried away. This thread is proving that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

What would you have said if they won by 40?

salmocab wrote: »
    What would you have said if they won by 40?

He would have overreacted

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I have talked to a number of England fans, they are are worried because they seem so far ahead of Ireland in terms of prep. Are they peaking too early is the concern. I think it was mentioned as well on the BBC? or maybe I was dreaming.

England are also a month out from playing any rugby in anger with just 1 game against Italy.....

I was expecting Ireland to be where Wales where against England at Twickenham a few weeks ago. Not in worse shape then the 6n

England didn't peak at the weekend v Ireland. Not even close

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Ryan and Zebo are not world class players
    Zebo is flaky and a bit of a one trick pony at times and not a good defender. He went for the money. Rules are IRFU ones anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

V interesting... I wonder is this to do with Sexton's injury...

Get talking about it first rather than everyone panicking when he doesn't train today?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Of course you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭daddy pig

New Zealand were hammered 47-26 in their second last game before the world cup.

Australia were hammered 36-0 in their last game before the world cup.

Wales were beaten 33-19 in their fourth last game before the world cup.

Scotland were beaten 32-3 in their 3rd last game before the world cup.

It happens - Ireland played poorly and were beaten out the gate by England. Nobody is going to know whether anyone has peaked early or still getting up to speed for another 7 weeks.
    The total overreaction and nonsense about these fixtures meaning the same as the Autumn internationals is embarrassing.

We win our next 2 matches against Wales and we will be the number 1 ranked team in the world going into the world cup. Would that be enough for everyone to say we "are back".

They can get better as they've said themselves. The settled squad is what they have over everyone else they've played but they look in very good nick. They also have a tougher group to deal with but the question is will they be at their peak near the end of October. That's very hard to gauge and injuries and individual performances will affect them like every other team.

daddy pig wrote: »
    New Zealand were hammered 47-26 in their second last game before the world cup.

Australia were hammered 36-0 in their last game before the world cup.

Wales were beaten 33-19 in their fourth last game before the world cup.

Scotland were beaten 32-3 in their 3rd last game before the world cup.

It happens - Ireland played poorly and were beaten out the gate by England. Nobody is going to know whether anyone has peaked early or still getting up to speed for another 7 weeks.
    The total overreaction and nonsense about these fixtures meaning the same as the Autumn internationals is embarrassing.

We win our next 2 matches against Wales and we will be the number 1 ranked team in the world going into the world cup. Would that be enough for everyone to say we "are back".
    We do have two games to go and the outcomes are pretty irrelevant but there are some very fundamental areas where we are not firing. If these don't look any better in these games we may be in trouble come real competition time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I think we'll go full strength this week anyway and will see how things look before the final game at home.

Full strength is not as clear cut as it once seemed imo.

Stockdale or Larmour or Conway?
    Aki or Henshaw?
    Stander or Conan?
    POM or Ruddock or Beirne?
    Toner or Henderson?
    Best or Cronin or Scannell?

There is form on the one hand, and there is proven class on the other. And I agree in general that you don't just pick on form, you give a lot of weight to those who have proven their worth for you in the past. But when their form deteriorates so much over a period of months and there is no sign of it improving, it really does leave the coach in a quandry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

gotta say injury risk played a part there, why would you risk injury at this stage, intensity was missing, can hardly blame them

it wasn't our full strength team

England certainly took advantage

The line out was a disaster, that's fixable, at least 21 points came from that

Everyone played badly? Not sure about that. its hard to look good at 10 if the forwards haven't gotten parity or the scrum half is off

England did look very strong, don't think we can go toe to toe with them

The timing of the world cup gives a big advantage to the SH teams

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wittycynic

Probably to provide injury updates and to respond to a couple of days of (entirely justified) castigation by the press of Saturday's performance.

Unlikely to generate anything of serious interest.

There also seems to be a lot of dismissal of Saturday's performance as "just a pre-season" game, and nothing to get too worked up about.

Unfortunately, I don't think it's realistic to relegate the performance to insignificance for a couple of reasons.

(I) It's further evidence of our serious downward trajectory since the November internationals last year. It was always unlikely that we would be able to sustain 2018's performance levels into the following year, but drop off in quality has been far greater than anyone could have imagined.

(ii) It's a record defeat, and one of Ireland's worst performances of the professional era. We've played England regularly since 1875, across 135 tests, and this is the biggest gap there has ever been between the two sides in terms of performance. That's terrifying so close to a world cup. Even our dismal teams of the 1990s were able to contain England better than this.

(iii) Everytime we got the ball we looked like we were going to lose it. Everytime they got the ball they looked like they were going to score. And that's more or less what happened. What is the most difficult part to swallow is that this (albeit to a lesser extent) was the case in the England and Wales games in the Six Nations. Then we were toothless in attack and consistently exposed in defence, particular out wide. Nearly six months on it looks as though nothing has been done to address the problems, which suggests Schmidt has no idea how to fix them.

(IV) Out of form players are repeatedly being picked based on their supposed class, and overall our pack (especially our back row) is simply too light for international rugby. It's clear to even the casual observer that the like of Murray, Best, POM, and others are not firing, and largely haven't across the past season. The backrow in particular needs the insertion of greater bulk to give it a chance to avoid being overpowered. It was terrifying watching some of the England backs run at talented but lightweight backs such as Ringrose and Larmour. We need a balance of physicality in this team or we'll be beaten up repeatedly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Tikki Wang Wang

Schmidt-ball has sunk this team. We may as well write off this World Cup and look to 2023/2027. Though if Farrell is a student of Schmidt-ball we won’t progress at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I hope Murray is rested completely. I don't care if he passed his HIA, he shouldn't be picked.

My prediction;
    Kilcoyne Scannell Porter
    Toner Ryan
    Ruddock Conan Murphy
    Marmion Carty
    Earls Henshaw Farrell Kearney
    Addison

Cronin McGrath Ryan Henderson TOD McGrath Byrne Conway

is_that_so wrote: »
    They can get better as they've said themselves. The settled squad is what they have over everyone else they've played but they look in very good nick. They also have a tougher group to deal with but the question is will they be at their peak near the end of October. That's very hard to gauge and injuries and individual performances will affect them like every other team.

Nobody knows if the settled squad will make a difference

If they get dumped out in group then it will be a disaster....if they win the WC it will be a success and everyone will do it next time.....

Irish times reporting Wales to put out a second-string / experimental team fur the first game

Rumour and might just be speculation.

Best being dropped, won't be travelling to Japan and replacement Captain being announced by Joe this afternoon.

Just doing the rounds on WhatsApp, no idea if accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Best being dropped, won't be travelling to Japan and replacement Captain being announced by Joe this afternoon.

The replacement captain is Hayes. I KNEW IT.

The replacement captain is Hayes. I KNEW IT.

Funny you mention a tighthead. Furlong would very possibly be my choice.

Not jumping to conclusions either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I don't mention a tighthead. I mention a LIGIND.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

James Ryan ftw

• Advertisement

New captain would be interesting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement