Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

The IRFU would still have Tyler Bleyendaal as an option before recalling foreign players.

Harry Byrne and the other U20 players as well

None of the overseas players will ever get picked. End of story

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

sydthebeat wrote: »
    those defensive set pieces calls from some of our backs showed absolutely no trust in our wing forwards to get out and make the tackle.

there should be some very hard conversations during the reviews

Agreed. That was worth at least two trys. Plus the overthrown lineout near the end.
    Then there was just some bad organization when it came to folding around rucks and stuff.
    These are all things that we've done far better in the last two years. Nice and fixable.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I really do think you haven't watched any rugby for the past4 years.

Mod: We've had quite enough of this condescending nonsense from you lately. Post in a more civil tone or take a hike. Final warning

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Post rwcshould be interesting.
    I reckon that Farrell will dump several players.
    A new cycle, a new stategy!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,866 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Dubinusa wrote: »

fear for this new era for some reason, i dont think Farrell will be strong enough on his own but ya never knw

in the 2020-2023 cycle we have 4 six nations, prob a tour to New Zealand or South Africa or Austrailia/ Argentina maybe USA (July 2020/21/22) and AI against the big SH teams

the 2016-2019 was quite amazing, 2 wins over the All Blacks, 1 Grand Slam, Series win Down under and a win in South Aftica. Among AI wins against Austrailia, South Africa, Argentina. The 2019 WC will hopefully add a to this amazing cycle but ATM very likely too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,754 ✭✭✭✭bilston

PTH2009 wrote: »
    fear for this new era for some reason, i dont think Farrell will be strong enough on his own but ya never knw

in the 2020-2023 cycle we have 4 six nations, prob a tour to New Zealand or South Africa or Austrailia/ Argentina maybe USA (July 2020/21/22) and AI against the big SH teams

the 2016-2019 was quite amazing, 2 wins over the All Blacks, 1 Grand Slam, Series win Down under and a win in South Aftica. Among AI wins against Austrailia, South Africa, Argentina. The 2019 WC will hopefully add a to this amazing cycle but ATM very likely too

Depends on the players we have available.

Hooker is a position of concern, half back is a worry as Sexton is in the November of his career and even Murray can see the leaves browning as well, although he may have another WC cycle in him. Outside backs looks ok with one obvious exception...15.

Let's see on the young talent, but there were enough positive signs from the U20s to suggest there will be some players with test potential.

Add that to a new coach and coaching ticket and is certainly going to be interesting seeing how Ireland adapt.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

I really do think you haven't watched any rugby for the past4 years. McGraths kicking game and box kicking is better than any of the others 9's...apart from Murray of course.....

Not sure what the fitness is about:confused:

https://extra.ie/2019/05/12/sport/rugby/leinster-fans-are-blaming-one-man-for-their-champions-cup-loss

Marmion just doesn't bother kicking the ball as much but it he can and is well capable...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,169 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Sexton picked up an injury because a maul collapsed on him.

Why was he in the same country as maul practice??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭99problems1

Sexton being injured might be a blessing in disguise. He was pretty much guaranteed to get injured during the WC itself anyways so at least now they can get the replacements head in the game and up to speed as much as possible.

Sexton being injured might be a blessing in disguise. He was pretty much guaranteed to get injured during the WC itself anyways so at least now they can get the replacements head in the game and up to speed as much as possible.

Such bizarre logic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

I really do think you haven't watched any rugby for the past4 years. McGraths kicking game and box kicking is better than any of the others 9's...apart from Murray of course.....

Not sure what the fitness is about:confused:
    CowboyTed wrote: »
    https://extra.ie/2019/05/12/sport/rugby/leinster-fans-are-blaming-one-man-for-their-champions-cup-loss

Marmion just doesn't bother kicking the ball as much but it he can and is well capable...

Marmion is arguable the best nine in Ireland at the moment. His kicking against the ABs was exceptional. Before that I didn't know he also had a strong kicking game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Marmion is arguable the best nine in Ireland at the moment. His kicking against the ABs was exceptional. Before that I didn't know he also had a strong kicking game.

Yes he has a good kicking game but not as good as McGrath....

I would still pick Marmion over McGrath......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

Dubinusa wrote: »

Problem there is that he probably can't just "dump" centrally contracted players, even if he wanted to.

At this point in time, I've lost touch with which players are centrally contracted - apart from the luckless Sean O'Brien!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Of course he can. People seem to get incredibly confused about causality when it comes to central contracts. They have them because they are unlikely to be dropped, not the other way round.

The conspiracy theory (which is essentially what it is) doesn’t even take into account the basic accounting of what an improved 6N performance is worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Having a central contract does not mean you automatically are picked.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,290 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Portsalon wrote: »
    Problem there is that he probably can't just "dump" centrally contracted players, even if he wanted to.

At this point in time, I've lost touch with which players are centrally contracted - apart from the luckless Sean O'Brien!

The centrally contracted players are most of the ones that no new coach will be ‘dumping’.

aloooof wrote: »
    The reality is if Ireland get to a RWC SF, very few will remember the results from the warm-up games.

Perhaps.

Although I suspect that we'll be reminded about the Twickenham result when we play England there in the 6N, in less than 6 months' time! :eek:

Can anyone remind me of the last IRFU centrally contracted player who wasn't included in an international squad while fit to play?

Portsalon wrote: »
    Can anyone remind me of the last IRFU centrally contracted player who wasn't included in an international squad while fit to play?

Jack Mc Grath?

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

That wasnt what you said. You said they couldnt, they can be but maybe arent.

• Advertisement

salmocab wrote: »
    Jack Mc Grath?

Good call!

Jack McGrath isn't the same as just not being picked considering his off field issues.

Still can't believe Cronin has been outcast like he has.

Cronin was around Joe long enough to be either in his WC reckoning or out of it before February of this year.

Absolutely crazy decision if you look back. Managed him at club and country for years and 7 months before a world cup he's dropped from the squad where our no.1 hooker is 37.

Either drop him 2 years ago and develop someone else or stick with it at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,777 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I've a feeling Farrell will be fine and he's a hard Northerner. There'll be little sentiment with his decision making.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,777 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I've a feeling Farrell will be fine and he's a hard Northerner. There'll be little sentiment with his decision making.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,156 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

A Sexton injury ruling him out of the WC would bail the squad and coach out mentally. There would be zero expectations in that scenario. That's quite the hidden silver lining, but it's all I've got. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Such bizarre logic
    Kudos for seeing a bright side, though!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

salmocab wrote: »
    The centrally contracted players are most of the ones that no new coach will be ‘dumping’.
    If there is someone with better form I think they will. Dumping them is just releasing them back to their province. Recover form and they may be considered once again.

is_that_so wrote: »
    If there is someone with better form I think they will. Dumping them is just releasing them back to their province. Recover form and they may be considered once again.

Oh some may lose their starting spot but none will be dumped, dropped perhaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,309 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Sorry to say but I suspect another QF exit for us. Would be delighted to be proven wrong

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement