Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Options

Comments

Sorry to say but I suspect another QF exit for us. Would be delighted to be proven wrong

In fairness it's looked like that since the draw

• Registered Users Posts: 11,291 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

In fairness it's looked like that since the draw

Or at least since SA started getting their shot together

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

Jack McGrath isn't the same as just not being picked considering his off field issues.

What off field issues do you speak of?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

salmocab wrote: »
    Or at least since SA started getting their shot together

SA are no great shakes. They are very reliant on Handre Pollard staying fit at 10. He kicks his goals and is solid. Jantjies is a poor backup.

Their pack is limited and short on depth.

England look like the side that are still improving. If we are to meet them again at the latter stages the warm up game might be a great lesson on how to play them. They are much improved under the high ball and are a threat at the breakdown. However I still don't think they can look after the ball well enough, not as effective at clearing out rucks as Ireland.

It will be interesting to see who Jones opts for at 10/12/13. Will he stick with Ford/Farrell at 10/12 and Tuilagi at 13 or go with Tuilagi at 12 and Slade at 13. He has a few options there.

The one good thing about Ireland is their discipline is good. England have a few hot heads in Marler, Sinckler, Farrell and Tuilagi. Turn the pressure up and those boys will start to give up penalties and more.

We will have to wait and see what way Sexton and Murray are injury wise but no doubt they will be heavily targeted if they start games.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

PTH2009 wrote: »
    fear for this new era for some reason, i dont think Farrell will be strong enough on his own but ya never knw

in the 2020-2023 cycle we have 4 six nations, prob a tour to New Zealand or South Africa or Austrailia/ Argentina maybe USA (July 2020/21/22) and AI against the big SH teams

the 2016-2019 was quite amazing, 2 wins over the All Blacks, 1 Grand Slam, Series win Down under and a win in South Aftica. Among AI wins against Austrailia, South Africa, Argentina. The 2019 WC will hopefully add a to this amazing cycle but ATM very likely too

This gimmick is really stale PTH. I think you should consider a heel turn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Their pack is limited and short on depth.

How on earth do you come to that conclusion about South Africa?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

flyton5 wrote: »
    What off field issues do you speak of?

He married a Munster woman :-)

Before Zzippy loses the plot it’s a joke...

He married Michael Corcoran’s daughter

• Registered Users Posts: 8,178 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Centrally contracted players, if not performing must be jettisoned. If not, we will wallow in deep shyte.
    Just because someone is centrally contracted, does not mean they're the best fit for the team.
    POM will not survive much longer. Imo. There's too many younger players coming along.Paul Boyle may be an option soon. Caelan Doris is another. Ruddock has been better than him this past year.
    Murray also is worthy of being dropped. Regardless of contract status. If the lad is dogshyte, he will be dropped. Farrell is not the type to stick with poor performers, imo
    I thought Murray was the poorest international player we had all year.
    RK, will be gone! Someone else will get a chance to develop.
    Earl's has a year or so left, he also will fall out of favour.
    Sexton is 34! His body is not the best and the next in line should get an opportunity soon.
    There's 6 or 7 lads who I think will be kicking the door down fairly soon.
    Boyle
    Blade
    Marty Moore
    Baird
    Rhys Marshall
    EOS
    Heffernan
    I think they'll all see some time post rwc. Rea in Ulster also, if he stays healthy.
    The wider squad will most likely see guys like T.O.D and DK also cast aside.
    I think in hindsight that Ruddock could make this rwc. I would think that Schmidt would realize that a ball carrying 6 could level the packs a little. POM offers nothing . England and the Boks have massive packs and we need to counter that.
    If we stick with the status quo and players who are out of form, we're doomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

According to Gerry Thornley the Irish side hasn't done much actual rugby training over the last few months. It's mostly been heavy duty gym work. Of course, it makes sense to get yourself in the best possible condition for the World Cup, but right now we're a mile behind the curve when it comes to skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,511 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Spingboks pack limited and short on depth?
    We’ve reached peak delusion!

One of the best packs going into the WC

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭99problems1

Clegg wrote: »
    According to Gerry Thornley the Irish side hasn't done much actual rugby training over the last few months. It's mostly been heavy duty gym work. Of course, it makes sense to get yourself in the best possible condition for the World Cup, but right now we're a mile behind the curve when it comes to skills.

Joe is hardly the type of coach to require much skill though. He's the Jose Mourinho of rugby.

He's turned Robbie Henshaw and Bundee Aki, two players who were wicked exciting runners at Connacht and turned them into battering rams.

Bundee has got a good career out of it, better than I thought for Ireland but Henshaw was seen as BODs heir and now he's just Jamie Roberts MKII.

Strange. That is exactly what went wrong in 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Well they got completely over powered on saturday so that gym work has been a waste of time

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Joe is hardly the type of coach to require much skill though. He's the Jose Mourinho of rugby.

Did you start watching rugby after 2013?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Also, since when is being Jamie Roberts such a bad thing? Last I checked he was part of some pretty effective Welsh teams.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Also, since when is being Jamie Roberts such a bad thing? Last I checked he was part of some pretty effective Welsh teams.

Fairly intelligent lad as well, qualified doctor

Didn’t he play for the lions? I should ask BOD

He's turned Robbie Henshaw and Bundee Aki, two players who were wicked exciting runners at Connacht and turned them into battering rams.

Bundee has got a good career out of it, better than I thought for Ireland but Henshaw was seen as BODs heir and now he's just Jamie Roberts MKII.

So who do you think Eddie Jones is?

Mourinho wanted bigger and bigger and bigger players, got rid of the small guys....went nuts at press one day and was best friends with them next day

Doesn’t really sound like Joe to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭larchielads

Wonder if Simon Zebo and Donnacha Ryan are busy for next couple of months??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭touts

Wonder if Simon Zebo and Donnacha Ryan are busy for next couple of months??

David Nucifora would rather see Ireland play 17 year olds and go out in the group stages than let Joe pick two world class players who rejected his rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

David Nucifora would rather the IRFU use the leverage at its disposal to retain its players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

touts wrote: »
    David Nucifora would rather see Ireland play 17 year olds and go out in the group stages than let Joe pick two world class players who rejected his rules.

Ryan and Zebo are not world class players

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭larchielads

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Ryan and Zebo are not world class players

Well they aint much worse than the 15 that take the field

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Christy42

Are we still on the "we lost badly so let's tilt entirely and demand random changes" stage?

Anything to be said for Gilroy?

Certainly things need to improve but random changes based on who played well in the last two weeks alone will never breed success. No other team makes mad changes when things start going wrong. England lost badly for most of last year. They still were not batty enough to drop Farrell.

Did you start watching rugby after 2013?

Out of all the top teams, our game is the most structured, least requiring skills.

Who's more skillful, Sonny Bill or Robbie Henshaw for Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

touts wrote: »

Neither player is, was or ever would be world class. If Zebo was in Ireland he’d be squad player at best. Not sure Ryan would make the squad due to his age. So it would make no real difference if they were still here. Also what 17 year old is anywhere near the squad?

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

Christy42 wrote: »

O’Halloran at FB too?

Podge_irl wrote: »

You've said it perfectly, effective.

Roberts role was to take first phase off set plays and run as hard as he could straight in front of him.

What's the difference between Gordon D'arcy and Jamie roberts? What do you think of when you think of both?

For me, D'arcy, I think of always breaking the gain line even on poor ball, dodging players with agility. Roberts? First phase off set piece being battered up the middle. I'd fear for Roberts and Henshaw with brain injuries considering the roles they are used in.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I kind of want Zebo to be called up now.

Moreso because the people who whine for the inclusion of an over-rated bang average player will be the same people who bitch and moan when the provinces start losing all their players to France and England.

You want to play for Ireland, you play in Ireland. Zebo knew the law of the land and decided to leave.

Jesus it really is an international window when his name pops up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

What's the difference between Gordon D'arcy and Jamie roberts? What do you think of when you think of both?

Honestly? Roberts was better at the role he ultimately ended up in. D'Arcy was a lot more fleet of foot initially but that disappeared and he became a pretty boshy centre. At his best in the latter half of his career he would step well to off-put the tackler so to take contact on his own terms, but he was generally taking contact. He was very good at it with pretty phenomenal leg drive but Roberts would bust a gain line better.

You are essentially advocating the opposite of the teams that are beating Ireland as the way to fix Ireland. Which is not, in and of itself, a bad idea but Wales and England have overpowered us in the forwards and used some effective strike running to power through us in the backs. The closest to a team that play a more traditional expansive game we've played is Scotland and we beat them in Murrayfield and they weren't that successful overall.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Christy42 wrote: »
    Are we still on the "we lost badly so let's tilt entirely and demand random changes" stage?

Certainly things need to improve but random changes based on who played well in the last two weeks alone will never breed success. No other team makes mad changes when things start going wrong. England lost badly for most of last year. They still were not batty enough to drop Farrell.

The stupid thing is, everyone played badly on Saturday.

Conservative Joe's pets who are only there on reputation and because they have central contracts, they played badly. Boards.ie favourites, they played badly. Guys who've never really featured before, they played badly. Starters, subs, forwards, backs. Munster LIGINDS, Leinster tossers, Ulster, Connacht. Irish born and bred, project players desecrating the jersey, granny rulers. All rubbish.

So I'm absolutely baffled by the idea that changing a few lads here and there would have made any difference. Whoever else you picked, I doubt the result would have been any different. Whatever is going wrong, it is not simply a personnel issue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement