Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Big news. Haircut for Stockdale.
    Must be part of Week 7 of pre-season! Good call though as it was affecting his aerodynamics and he looked foppish. Very non-rugby image.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

I think it's good the heat is off Joe this time around, it's not like his job is at risk. So really, he could ignore the meeja if he so wished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Bealham back in. Ireland the only team in world rugby whose squad is getting BIGGER as the world cup approaches

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Big news. Haircut for Stockdale.

He's been talking to Madigan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Bealham back in. Ireland the only team in world rugby whose squad is getting BIGGER as the world cup approaches

Jesus I hope nothing has happened to one of our tight-heads!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Jesus I hope nothing has happened to one of our tight-heads!

Presumably it's just to fill out the squad while Healy recovers
    Edit: i know he's a TH but he's done both and is the most up to date with the game plan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 Prince Andrew

I can see a long Autumn ahead for all you Paddys. The best of luck travelling to the far side of the world without a decent flyhalf or indeed an operational lineout, it is not really going to happen is it?

I find it intriguing that your teams' performance has capitulated since your Kiwi manager inappropriately elected to inform his entire management team and the actual team that he had basically lost all appetite for the job and was buggering off back home to take over the All Blacks.

I do hope you manage to scramble through the Welsh for the next couple of games before the Jocks lay you bare to the world in 3 weeks. I wish you well in your hopeless endeavours. Losing to Scotland will be so embarrassing to you guys I know, never mind, heads up okay?

I found it most disconcerting that your national press have taken to interviewing former players to boost the confidence of the current squad. What an absolute shambles.

Tally ho Paddies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I can see a long Autumn ahead for all you Paddys. The best of luck travelling to the far side of the world without a decent flyhalf or indeed an operational lineout, it is not really going to happen is it?

I find it intriguing that your teams' performance has capitulated since your Kiwi manager inappropriately elected to inform his entire management team and the actual team that he had basically lost all appetite for the job and was buggering off back home to take over the All Blacks.

I do hope you manage to scramble through the Welsh for the next couple of games before the Jocks lay you bare to the world in 3 weeks. I wish you well in your hopeless endeavours. Losing to Scotland will be so embarrassing to you guys I know, never mind, heads up okay?

I found it most disconcerting that your national press have taken to interviewing former players to boost the confidence of the current squad. What an absolute shambles.

Tally ho Paddies.

Prince Andrew, I would of thought you had bigger problem to worry about than what the Irish rugby team are up to......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Phew, at least Joe is owning the problem...whatever the problem is

What a load of horse manure.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Prince Andrew, I would of thought you had bigger problem to worry about than what the Irish rugby team are up to......
    Not feeding time! :D

• Advertisement

Tally ho Paddies.

Not bad, not great either. There is some promise. You are supposed to be subtle enough to get people to actually argue against you in earnest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Is there no stone Rassie and Van Grahn wont unturn
    Felix Jones the new SA attack coach
    Fourie du Preez was brought in to "coach" the kickers last year

https://www.the42.ie/felix-jones-south-africa-attack-coach-reports-4783798-Aug2019/

https://www.the42.ie/munster-world-cup-cover-4783188-Aug2019/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Is there no stone Rassie and Van Grahn wont unturn
    Felix Jones the new SA attack coach
    Fourie du Preez was brought in to "coach" the kickers last year

https://www.the42.ie/felix-jones-south-africa-attack-coach-reports-4783798-Aug2019/

https://www.the42.ie/munster-world-cup-cover-4783188-Aug2019/

If they get him in before the WC it gives us a better chance of beating them if we meet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    If they get him in before the WC it gives us a better chance of beating them if we meet.

How do you figure that??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

aloooof wrote: »
    How do you figure that??

Munster’s attack wasn’t much of a weapon under his guidance was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,910 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Rumour and might just be speculation.

Best being dropped, won't be travelling to Japan and replacement Captain being announced by Joe this afternoon.

Just doing the rounds on WhatsApp, no idea if accurate.

Sad to say and as a fan of the man, I hope he has pulled the plug himself. He simply isn't capable now. Every great player suddenly finds they are falling off the cliff. Very few get to retire at the peak of their game and Rory's best is long gone.

A few others have been 'resting on their laurel's for quite a while but don't seem to be amenable to being dropped while others rarely get the opportunity to show their paces in green. I know it's a delicate balancing act between the top players and their rivals but a few guys have been mince for a while, Best included.

Every coach is on the road to ultimate failure - with the usually rare exception of the man i/c the All Blacks. Ideas become stale and game plans become compromised by the opposition working out how to nullify them. Players get older and less effective. The old saw that form is temporary, class is permanent is tosh. Form is temporary but getting older isn't. People lose the edge that made them the best, guys lose speed of foot and speed of thought and lose power and possibly most importantly, lose the mental edge. Perhaps that is why Ireland have fallen from the peak they so deserved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 Prince Andrew

Sorry old boys, it does appear that I have received an infraction from your minders over my previous controversial post.

I would have thought you rugger scribes to be well up to a bit of competitive banter, one always has felt it is in the spirit of the game don't you think?

Anyway , head up old boys , only 3 weeks to go. Who knows , maybe if you can get your overpaid nancy instagram riddled back row to actually make a tackle or two, you chaps might have a half chance against the Welsh boys.

Let me know when you have developed some sort of a ball carrying game plan, won't you ?

Tara.

MOD: Banned for trolling. Everyone else can ignore this now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

there is no chance that he will drop best from the squad

go on outta that

hilarious

If there even was an alternative

jacothelad wrote: »
    Sad to say and as a fan of the man, I hope he has pulled the plug himself. He simply isn't capable now. Every great player suddenly finds they are falling off the cliff. Very few get to retire at the peak of their game and Rory's best is long gone.

A few others have been 'resting on their laurel's for quite a while but don't seem to be amenable to being dropped while others rarely get the opportunity to show their paces in green. I know it's a delicate balancing act between the top players and their rivals but a few guys have been mince for a while, Best included.

Every coach is on the road to ultimate failure - with the usually rare exception of the man i/c the All Blacks. Ideas become stale and game plans become compromised by the opposition working out how to nullify them. Players get older and less effective. The old saw that form is temporary, class is permanent is tosh. Form is temporary but getting older isn't. People lose the edge that made them the best, guys lose speed of foot and speed of thought and lose power and possibly most importantly, lose the mental edge. Perhaps that is why Ireland have fallen from the peak they so deserved.

Best won't retire before the WC and Joe won't pull him from the squad. Even if he isn't starting he will travel and will play in the group games. Throwig out his experience at this stage would be idiotic. Also throwing out the captain for the last 4 years a few days before the WC would be idiotic

Also why would they retire him based on a preseason friendly?

Schmidt announces the return of Simon Zebo who bursts into the room to Stone Cold Steve Austin's music.

He has piled on the kilos so if he burst into the room he'd take out everyone within the blast radius.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Sorry old boys, it does appear that I have received an infraction from your minders over my previous controversial post.

I would have thought you rugger scribes to be well up to a bit of competitive banter, one always has felt it is in the spirit of the game don't you think?

Anyway , head up old boys , only 3 weeks to go. Who knows , maybe if you can get your overpaid nancy instagram riddled back row to actually make a tackle or two, you chaps might have a half chance against the Welsh boys.

Let me know when you have developed some sort of a ball carrying game plan, won't you ?

Tara.

Palmer Tomkinson?

Tara.

Best of luck Tara....it might be worth having a look at those pesky French:p I think you might have a few issues yourself....but England always get out of the group :eek:

Anyway don't worry, its not like the England team always crack's under pressure.......:p

jacothelad wrote: »
    He has piled on the kilos so if he burst into the room he'd take out everyone within the blast radius.:D

They had planned on him bursting into the room but he got wedged in the door :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

It would almost be comical to see some peoples reactions if Best did step aside and Joe named the new captain as the next most likely choice POM (dont rate Sexton as a capt let him get on with his game and try not to peeve off the ref too much)

Tally ho Paddies.

You Germans. You're a real bundle of intelligent humour. :D

things can only improve when up against a second-string Welsh team without the sort of dynamic physical beasts like Tuilagi, Itoje, Vunipola etc that England had last week.

any sort of boost to the current confidence levels is much needed.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Best won't retire before the WC and Joe won't pull him from the squad. Even if he isn't starting he will travel and will play in the group games. Throwig out his experience at this stage would be idiotic. Also throwing out the captain for the last 4 years a few days before the WC would be idiotic

Also why would they retire him based on a preseason friendly?

I knew he wouldn't be dropped, I'm just expressing a hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Key Points from Press Conference today

Keith Earls - Tendinitis
    Murray passed HIA
    Sexton Available but likely rested until final game
    Cain Healy recovering well and looking to get back.

-We were flat vs England
    -No excuses for result
    -To throw everything out would be a mistake
    -Some Glimpses of pretty good work
    -in this time of the cycle you do get some imbalanced results.
    -England appear to have clarity and know where they are at (in their cycle)
    -We need to see how much more competitive we are each week.
    -After this weekend selections are done.
    -Jonny put back a bit with thumb injury. Should play in final warm up
    -No Blame (for result) learn and adjust

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    Munster’s attack wasn’t much of a weapon under his guidance was it.

Felix has spent time coaching in the Irish setup in Japan, and has spent a lot of time coaching some of the Irish players. If Rassie gets him in, it's obviously way more beneficial to SA than to Ireland.

• Advertisement

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    Key Points from Press Conference today

Keith Earls - Tendinitis
    Murray passed HIA
    Sexton Available but likely rested until final game
    Cain Healy recovering well and looking to get back.

-We were flat vs England
    -No excuses for result
    -To throw everything out would be a mistake
    -Some Glimpses of pretty good work
    -in this time of the cycle you do get some imbalanced results.
    -England appear to have clarity and know where they are at (in their cycle)
    -We need to see how much more competitive we are each week.
    -After this weekend selections are done.
    -Jonny put back a bit with thumb injury. Should play in final warm up
    -No Blame (for result) learn and adjust

All makes sense.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement