Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,759 ✭✭✭893bet

Thin watch discussion!

Hi this is what I like in a watch.

unkel wrote: »
    Dunno. Totally arbitrary but 9mm thin, 7mm ultra thin?

Agree with the above as roughly what I would define also but it also depends on the lug curve, domed crystal, bezel etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

I doubt you can get a domed crystal in any "thin" watch - domes can add 1-2mm onto the height... I think the thinnest automatic with date is a Piaget at 6.3mm - without date it goes down to 5ish? and 4ish for a Bvglari (includes a tourbillon too afaik).

Maybe Wibbs will come along and say "back in vintage days - 9 was considered thick" :D

Are you worried about the thickness of Solas?

Not at all - for the aventurine we added over 1mm over alternative brass options for example so we probably would have been around 8.7mm or less using a "normal" dial. But just thinking out loud for future R&D - would love to get a 7mm automatic/date option out there (will probably be a hard sell again since thin isn't necessarily in or prized right now).

Might be something cool though.

Put it this way - even Sea-Gull offers a 9mm automatic watch for 350 euro ish (and 8mm handwinding movement too) - so 9mm would be the start of "thin" for me (unless there are special reasons for it to be thicker).

Wouldnt say that would be a USP that many would purchase for.

Something I would but that would be a minority view.

9-10mm is a reasonable place but it really depends on the watch. A square edge (like many Bauhaus style watches) can have can make them look a little thicker than they are vs a domed bezel into the crystal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Fitz II

This guy put up a skx for 180 euro and had 5 asking price offers in 5 mintues, somebody point out they were worth more than that and he took the ad down. Now its back up at a grand....lol.
    https://www.adverts.ie/sports/seiko-diver-s-watch-japan-model-skx009j1/21596698

And the first comment on the original add

“Are you open to offers”.

The fact that there are so many sellers and buyers of items with...

A- No idea what the items actual market value is
    B- Cant accept the price as it stands without wanting another 10 cents off.

Means asking prices on adverts are worse gauge of value than watchfinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,496 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Watching the football at the moment and there is quite a lot of Hublot ads running on the pitch side video banners.

Turns out Hublot are now the PL's official timekeeping partner, replacing Tag Heuer.

Quite honestly 1st I'd heard of Tag being gone was when I started googling Hublot today after spotting the banner, and it then dawning on me that the Tag on screen logo on the clock was gone.

https://www.hublot.com/en-ch/news/hublot-becomes-premier-leagues-official-timekeeper

Is this another case of me being the last to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,864 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Fitz II wrote: »
    This guy put up a skx for 180 euro and had 5 asking price offers in 5 mintues, somebody point out they were worth more than that and he took the ad down. Now its back up at a grand....lol.
    https://www.adverts.ie/sports/seiko-diver-s-watch-japan-model-skx009j1/21596698

LOL.

Bought one of them brand new last year from creationwatches I think for €128. Should have bought 1000 of them :p

Crazy that they are worth so much now. Great watch, but an entry level Seiko diver is just what it is.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The Rolexitis is spreading! :eek: :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Yeah, that thought crossed my mind too. Crazy stuff really though when you can get a far superior Seiko diver like a turtle for less than a SKX007/009

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭micks_address

Yeah, that thought crossed my mind too. Crazy stuff really though when you can get a far superior Seiko diver like a turtle for less than a SKX007/009

I think the jdm versions are worth a bit. They have 23 jewel's on the dial. I've a stock non jdm one and a bunch of parts for a mod project. Strap code jubilee and hopefully soon crafter blue..

The interesting thing is you can source the jdm dial for about 65 euro..

You can still buy from creation

https://www.creationwatches.com/products/aqualand-divers-143/seiko-automatic-divers-japan-made-skx007-skx007j1-skx007j-200m-mens-watch-837.html?currency=EUR&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&gclid=CjwKCAjw-5v7BRAmEiwAJ3DpuCO2ah0Wi9LUwX3uN8qzemGftaWJVej6mg0nOC_63Ak84mtV7uzWrBoCVA0QAvD_BwE

As it's come up a bit recently about watches on tv etc..does anyone watch modern family? We started this summer as the kids are all at an age where we can all enjoy it together. Jay has a nice collection of watches...at least a rolex daytona in there, few bell and ross and he was talking about a Panerai in a recent episode we watched

• Registered Users Posts: 19,701 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

As it's come up a bit recently about watches on tv etc..does anyone watch modern family? We started this summer as the kids are all at an age where we can all enjoy it together. Jay has a nice collection of watches...at least a rolex daytona in there, few bell and ross and he was talking about a Panerai in a recent episode we watched

One of the best sitcoms in recent times !

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

I finished it a while ago, but I remember Phil graduating from an apple watch in earlier seasons to a Submariner in the last few seasons. Business must have been good!

Pablo_Flox wrote: »
    I finished it a while ago, but I remember Phil graduating from an apple watch in earlier seasons to a Submariner in the last few seasons. Business must have been good!

we are rewatching it (generally after something heavier like criminal uk or succession) its very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Pablo_Flox wrote: »

After a bit of googling it was actually the actors own (Ty Burrell) GMT-Master II that he was wearing in the last few seasons.

J1 versions of SKX009 go for 280 on chrono so real value is around 235 euro on a private sale. I also have to question what difference it makes, J1 versions are neither rare nor different. I see our boards.ie friend had dropped the asking to 600 now, but the min offer is 280 so maybe he is not on magic mushrooms after all. I think when he got a sniff that he was selling too low he thought he was onto something, when in skx land have something different makes about 50 euro difference.

EUR295. Insane. And then you will be hit for EUR85 VAT and customs on top.

Just looked it up and I paid EUR137 in December 2018 for mine from Creation

Is Seiko taking the p1ss here or where does all this extra profit go? Not even Omega would ever contemplate price hikes like that :p

Not even Omega would ever contemplate price hikes like that :p

Look we both know Omega would give it a try. :D

• Advertisement

I guess they have. Did I spot a Seamaster 300 for €9k retail somewhere online? Insane. That's a €2k-€3k watch. Actually did a quick google - €12,295 :rolleyes: It does have about €100 worth of gold plating though :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

EUR295. Insane. And then you will be hit for EUR85 VAT and customs on top.

Just looked it up and I paid EUR137 in December 2018 for mine from Creation

Is Seiko taking the p1ss here or where does all this extra profit go? Not even Omega would ever contemplate price hikes like that :p

People need to stop buying them at that price but they won't. It's like €7 pints in temple bar. Why would they lower the price when people are packing the places out 7 nights a week at €7 a pint?

OK, bad analogy during coronavirus. But you know what I mean.

So you'll have the microbreweries and microbrands come out to provide "value" at prices that are still sustainable ;) - operation of the free market (unless you manage to trademark phrases like "navy" :P (marina militare) and stop the competition that way ha).

Though in your case it would need to be micro-pubs rather than microbreweries that are driving the demand/supply price intersection point being higher.

Cienciano wrote: »
    People need to stop buying them at that price but they won't. It's like €7 pints in temple bar. Why would they lower the price when people are packing the places out 7 nights a week at €7 a pint?

OK, bad analogy during coronavirus. But you know what I mean.

Is it seiko getting the margin or Creation?

Any recommendations for a brown leather strap to suit my new Lange.

Would like a really soft and supple one. Don’t mind paying a premium for high quality.

893bet wrote: »
    Any recommendations for a brown leather strap to suit my new Lange.

Would like a really soft and supple one. Don’t mind paying a premium for high quality.

Try here

https://www.camillefournet.com/en/watch-band/customized-watch-strap

They look nice!

I am looking to dress down the ALS a tiny bit. The current leather is black and a wee bit shiny which is classic dress watch.

I am thinking a brown ish strap? Matt finish. Maybe calf skin as they are usually very supple?

(And no....the irony of buying a classic dress watch and then trying to dress it down is not lost on me.........

Would how it would look on Nato....)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,496 ✭✭✭✭banie01

893bet wrote: »

I am thinking a brown ish strap? Matt finish. Maybe calf skin as they are usually very supple?

Would suede be an option?
    Something like one of these?
    http://www.basandlokes.com/suede-straps/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

I've a couple of straps from https://www.finwatchstraps.com/

They are very supple and comfortable. I'm pretty sure it's crazy cow leather I ordered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

hitemfrank wrote: »
    I've a couple of straps from https://www.finwatchstraps.com/

They are very supple and comfortable. I'm pretty sure it's crazy cow leather I ordered.

+1 on these. One caveat, get something with calf lining. I had the Horween and the rough side took a good while to break in - chafed my wrist for a while. Most of there straps are straight cut (no taper). I feel your ALS needs a classic taper even on a casual strap.

I was in the same boat as you with the Stowa. After a week of research I finally got the velour-like Nomos calf strap and couldn't gel with it. Fipped it within a week. Something about the monochrome look makes me prefer a classic black of blue.

Edit: One takeaway I had from my research is non-padded quality leather straps are harder to find. The padding IMO adds to the formality. The Nomos Shell Cordovan is super value but maybe a bit too burgundyish if you're going that direction.

Advertisement