Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Pablo_Flox wrote: »
    Has anyone bought watches from Reddit Watch Exchange? Can you use the An Post's Address Pal to forward it from the US?
    Is it likely to get stung for tax?

I've bought and sold there.
    Never used Addresspal just had it shipped direct.
    I'd always expect to be paying tax at the declared value with Addresspal/AnPost tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Pablo_Flox wrote: »
    Has anyone bought watches from Reddit Watch Exchange? Can you use the An Post's Address Pal to forward it from the US?
    Is it likely to get stung for tax?

If it is unclear from the shipment parcel what the value of the item is AddressPal will write to you specifically asking to see a copy of the invoice before sending it on to Ireland.

@Pablo just to add my astronaut was just sent back to me from the US and transit time was @6days.
    Up to quite recently US post was very slow internally.

I sold a H-Link bracelet to California in April and it was 2 days from Limerick to NY.
    Then 27 days from NY to CA.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭893bet

Cyrus wrote: »
    im a tart but i really like this

ill stick my name down in weirs.

I don’t believe this will be available in Weirs or Ireland even. Seems to be a boutique only piece?

It will sell like hot cakes and trade above RRP the first 12 months.
    Omega will keep it going though to milk the cash cow! They will churn them out. I expect them to fall back to below retail within 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Fitz II

893bet wrote: »
    I don’t believe this will be available in Weirs or Ireland even. Seems to be a boutique only piece?.

Well this watch has come out of the blue and created quite a bit of hype. The Rolex effect may finally hit Omega. I can easily see this trading well above RRP, but as you say Omega is usually doomed to fall back below. The Apollo 11 limited edition is trading below 9k euro in private sales at the moment, that was a "Limited Edition model of 6,969 pieces" if such a massive run can be seen as limited and a 9500 euro RRP.

This snoopy does have a element of fun that is not often seen in watches mind you, and putting that on the back and keeping the dial fairly conservative is a great move.

New Rolex Sub...yeah good for you getting one....but this Omega, thats cool. That was a choice you made when you could have made a lot of others.

• Advertisement

I have watched a **** tonne of YouTube. Even watched an hour of Tim Mosso on watchbox going on about it. I really really like it!

Hard to believe the last one was 7k and is now trading at 40k plus! Crazy! That was limited at 2k pieces. Omega want a piece of the pie.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,801 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I don’t believe this will be available in Weirs or Ireland even. Seems to be a boutique only piece?

It will sell like hot cakes and trade above RRP the first 12 months.
    Omega will keep it going though to milk the cash cow! They will churn them out. I expect them to fall back to below retail within 18 months.

Weirs have said they will be getting it , but I needed to call in physically to put my name down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭Homer

Weirs have said they will be getting it , but I needed to call in physically to put my name down.

Ill be in town later and will stick your name on the list no worries... right behind mine :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Anyone know if VAT is liable on purchases from Liechtenstein (EEA, non-EU)? Finding conflicting info online over a trade agreement with Ireland. Have an offer on Chrono24 offering to remove the 7.7% VAT and pay locally to the shipping partner.
    If there is an agreement surely it makes far more sense to leave the 7.7% on the purchase price?

I *think* it's the same as Switzerland - you're paying Irish VAT on the goods - for example our salmon leather comes from Iceland - we're paying Irish VAT on top of their prices. The four EEA countries that are non-EU are Lichenstein, Switzerland, Iceland and Norway.

Here's the summary for Switzerland: http://www.brighton-accountants.com/blog/vat-uk-switzerland/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hey banie
    Started watching the right stuff series on disney plus. Think spotted your Bulova on one of the Mercury crew Gordon cooper?

Hey banie
    Started watching the right stuff series on disney plus. Think spotted your Bulova on one of the Mercury crew Gordon cooper?

Brilliant! The original movie is one of my favourites and if the have gone so far as to get the watches right in the series!
    It can only speak well as to its accuracy.

On a different watch related note.
    My Sinn is away for a little work and a little mod with skeleton hands.
    The watchsmith has been in touch to say the datewheel and the GMT gear are corroded and badly pitted :(

Fixable, but as he isn't Sinn there's no immediate stock of a black datewheel and he's been quoted £200+ VAT for one :(

May go either dateless or with a cheapo white on for the time being, til post Xmas anyway.

so despite my dislike of on dial power reserve and an understanding that dress watches arent really my thing (my iwc portuguese fills that gap and it was an engagement gift so it stays) i cant stop looking at this (there is one on tz-uk fresh from a £1500 service)

jlc_6120066.jpg

the reality is if i were to buy it something has to go, Rolex GMT maybe, i dont think i should do it, but im thinking about it,

what say ye?

Collection as it stands: AP ROO Diver, VC Overseas, Rolex GMT C, Panerai 1313 and IWC Portuguese chrono.

I think it’s very nice. There is a master geographic also there at a good price!

You seem to like a bit of heft in a watch so not sure this would last with you.

But it’s an exceptional watch.

One I and fitz have been admiring!

I think it’s very nice. There is a master geographic also there at a good price!

You seem to like a bit of heft in a watch so not sure this would last with you.

But it’s an exceptional watch.

One I and fitz have been admiring!

at 12mm thick it has a little heft at least, i have always liked it, another long term poster there learningtofly had one and he takes great pics.

it really highlights the folly of watch collecting, its a proper haute horology piece fresh from a £1500 service at half rrp and no bites.

Are all perpetual calendars fiddly to set? I saw one brand (can't remember which one) needs to set to 1st of Jan for right year (1,2,3,leap) before setting to month and then date and then day... that's one thing that would keep me away from perpetual calendars (unless it's a one and done watch) - seems like you like to swap around watches a lot so would you just not care about correct dates or not care about spending the 3-4 minutes setting up the right dates every time you swapped it on?

Do annual calendars have this requirement too? Or can you just advance directly to right month/date/day without needing to reset to 1/1/Mon for example?

at 12mm thick it has a little heft at least, i have always liked it, another long term poster there learningtofly had one and he takes great pics.

it really highlights the folly of watch collecting, its a proper haute horology piece fresh from a £1500 service at half rrp and no bites.

Didn’t realise it was 12mm. Certainly doesn’t look it! Makes sense given the number of complications.

It is a shame there is not more interest in it but take advantage! Perhaps an offer...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Fitz II

That jlc had my mouse hovering over it was talking to 893bet about it. Only crown and one pusher to set, once the correct date is set everything, moon phase included sets themselves automatically. Also the watch dr. Strange wears. Only thing putting me off is that its stainless. Price is a winner. I think its a stunner. However...would you wear it? Rolex would have to go i think which is a shame

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭tjhook

I was about to say the servicing cost might be enough put me off a little, then I realised you had that covered with "£1500 servicing".

Beautiful watch, but cost of ownership would sink me :D

tjhook wrote: »
    I was about to say the servicing cost might be enough put me off a little, then I realised you had that covered with "£1500 servicing".

Beautiful watch, but cost of ownership would sink me :D

The key is not to hold onto them that long :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

so despite my dislike of on dial power reserve and an understanding that dress watches arent really my thing (my iwc portuguese fills that gap and it was an engagement gift so it stays) i cant stop looking at this (there is one on tz-uk fresh from a £1500 service)

the reality is if i were to buy it something has to go, Rolex GMT maybe, i dont think i should do it, but im thinking about it,

what say ye?

Collection as it stands: AP ROO Diver, VC Overseas, Rolex GMT C, Panerai 1313 and IWC Portuguese chrono.

It's a beautiful watch. If it floats your boat, definitely. I wouldn't be into perpetual calanders myself, I prefer the moon phase or the standard date.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,025 ✭✭✭✭unkel

what say ye?

It's an incredible watch for the money. I'd sell the Rolex. Crazy that will net you more than the JLC costs. You'll probably never buy a Rolex again. Say goodbye to phase 4 :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Finally, a good use for our hobby

2989192-8a800bb2b8b53c83e8b22de4deba4430.jpg

it works ..tried it :D

So an expensive version of this then :D :

1200px-Sipping_Bird.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Thirdfox wrote: »
    So an expensive version of this then :D :

you cant wear that ...

peasant wrote: »
    Finally, a good use for our hobby

2989192-8a800bb2b8b53c83e8b22de4deba4430.jpg

it works ..tried it :D

Need one those 8day PAMs.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭dakar

Or something quartz...

• Registered Users Posts: 65,025 ✭✭✭✭unkel

You regularly take 8 day breaks from work? :p

Totally "coincidentally" ;)
    After Cyrus posts the absolutely beautiful JLC perpetual calender.
    Instagram started flooding my feed with suggested follows, one of whom posted a VC perpetual calender that is really attractive.

TBH tho, if I could afford one and had the grá for one!
    It would be the JLC in Cyrus' post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭micks_address

banie01 wrote: »
    Totally "coincidentally" ;)
    After Cyrus posts the absolutely beautiful JLC perpetual calender.
    Instagram started flooding my feed with suggested follows, one of whom posted a VC perpetual calender that is really attractive.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CGQ7o_IHbEB/?igshid=1ttr8hyaoospt

TBH tho, if I could afford one and had the grá for one!
    It would be the JLC in Cyrus' post.

And they say it's not listening to what you do..we tested it at dinner last year..few of us started talking about rolex and half an hour later friends feed was flooded with watches..

Advertisement