Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭893bet

david wrote: »
    +1 on these. One caveat, get something with calf lining. I had the Horween and the rough side took a good while to break in - chafed my wrist for a while. Most of there straps are straight cut (no taper). I feel your ALS needs a classic taper even on a casual strap.

I was in the same boat as you with the Stowa. After a week of research I finally got the velour-like Nomos calf strap and couldn't gel with it. Fipped it within a week. Something about the monochrome look makes me prefer a classic black of blue.

What did you end up putting on the Stowa?

They are same watch almost in terms of white face and blued steel hands.

banie01 wrote: »
    Would suede be an option?
    Something like one of these?
    http://www.basandlokes.com/suede-straps/

Had a look at suede last night and think it might be a stretch too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

893bet wrote: »
    What did you end up putting on the Stowa?

They are same watch almost in terms of white face and blued steel hands.
    The stock Nappa for now - I actually really like it and the fit is perfect. The brown just looked off to me.

Had reached out to Sarah in Stowa about the handstitched options and I may go for one of those. Good bit thicker and decent selection of (some mad) colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

Really interesting video from Watchfinder about the geniuses at Piaget. The number of challenges that they overcame to make that watch is really incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

nj27 wrote: »
    Really interesting video from Watchfinder about the geniuses at Piaget. The number of challenges that they overcame to make that watch is really incredible.

Watched that earlier, amazing engineering and craftsmanship. 2mm!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,025 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Your link is broken. Here is the video for anyone wondering:

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

unkel wrote: »
    Your link is broken. Here is the video for anyone wondering:

Didn't realise, thanks man! Great watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭dakar

Great watch.

In every sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,801 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

amazing feat of engineering, ultra thins arent for me though i have to say, a little heft is a good thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Yeah, there's a lot of watches out there that I can appreciate the engineering and workmanship that's gone into it, but they're just not for me. Perpetual calendar is one, the hassle of keeping it wound and I really don't need to know what month it is. Just more unnecessary shít on the dial for me. Minute repeaters (sorry thirdfox!), just a 10k (and the rest) party trick that has no use to me. After having a watch with a power reserve, power reserves are added to the list of useless features.
    None of it makes sense though because I like a tourbillon on certain watches. I want to look at a watch and admire the dial, a tourbillon enhances it. Something cool to look at when you look at your dial, doesn't clutter things and make it hard to read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Cienciano wrote: »
    Yeah, there's a lot of watches out there that I can appreciate the engineering and workmanship that's gone into it, but they're just not for me. Perpetual calendar is one, the hassle of keeping it wound and I really don't need to know what month it is. Just more unnecessary shít on the dial for me. Minute repeaters (sorry thirdfox!), just a 10k (and the rest) party trick that has no use to me. After having a watch with a power reserve, power reserves are added to the list of useless features.
    None of it makes sense though because I like a tourbillon on certain watches. I want to look at a watch and admire the dial, a tourbillon enhances it. Something cool to look at when you look at your dial, doesn't clutter things and make it hard to read.

:mad: how dare you not enjoy "noisy lume"? :D

though if you like tourbillons - model 3 (Sólás Eclipse) might be right up your street ;)

And I'm not going to be doing anything that I don't think is worth doing - there'll be design elements that hopefully will blow people's socks off with any potential tourbillon that's going out - not just slapping an off the shelf movement in a piece and saying "only millionaires can afford this watch :pac:" - put it this way - for model 3 it'll be for people who enjoy tourbillons and also for those who don't particularly care for them :D

And on repeaters hey 10k is a lot still (though already affordable for repeaters) - I'm thinking...maybe 3-4k (6 years away so it's not a grain of salt, it's a mountain of salt that people need to take with that figure :D) - but a quality repeater for 3-4k (and properly designed, incorporated into the ethos of the brand - the Irish name is ready actually but that will reveal too much of the design I suspect) - means it's a choice between a 2nd hand Omega Seamaster or an Irish repeater watch...that might tempt some people I think.

Thirdfox wrote: »
    :mad: how dare you not enjoy "noisy lume"? :D

though if you like tourbillons - model 3 (Sólás Eclipse) might be right up your street ;)

And I'm not going to be doing anything that I don't think is worth doing - there'll be design elements that hopefully will blow people's socks off with any potential tourbillon that's going out - not just slapping an off the shelf movement in a piece and saying "only millionaires can afford this watch :pac:" - put it this way - for model 3 it'll be for people who enjoy tourbillons and also for those who don't particularly care for them :D

And on repeaters hey 10k is a lot still (though already affordable for repeaters) - I'm thinking...maybe 3-4k (6 years away so it's not a grain of salt, it's a mountain of salt that people need to take with that figure :D) - but a quality repeater for 3-4k (and properly designed, incorporated into the ethos of the brand - the Irish name is ready actually but that will reveal too much of the design I suspect) - means it's a choice between a 2nd hand Omega Seamaster or an Irish repeater watch...that might tempt some people I think.

Sounds class, really interested in seeing what's in the pipeline

How to create a minimalist watch brand:

https://imgur.com/a/6CNO8

^ with the right marketing I'm sure it'll sell too :D

"luxury" is not mentioned once on the Sólás pages ha :pac:

My mate spend €200 on a daniel wellington. I'm sure shops get a decent markup in order to stock them.

Don't they sell DW in Weirs too? I'm sure that helps "I'm buying this in a luxury shop - this must mean it's luxurious too".

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Don't they sell DW in Weirs too? I'm sure that helps "I'm buying this in a luxury shop - this must mean it's luxurious too".

I wanted to look at a seiko in weirs, I was sent downstairs to the "scum" section. DW are probably down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

A frisson of excitement...

"02 October 2020 07:06

Your post is out for delivery "

Cienciano wrote: »
    I wanted to look at a seiko in weirs, I was sent downstairs to the "scum" section. DW are probably down there.

That's just a sales tactic :D - "you don't think I can afford this Patek? I'll get 5! That'll show you :cool: "

I was almost certain they had DW in their shop windows (stealing my initials! :mad:)

Everything is in the windows, but when you go in upstairs is the good stuff, downstairs is the cheaper stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭micks_address

That article is almost a year old :p

But yeah, the person who bought the one from 893bet here recently (for about €2,400?) got a pretty decent deal, will likely go up a bit in value. But some of the more recent seamaster asking prices on adverts (and elsewhere) have been for the birds imho

Are these really so bad you can't even change the strap?

PXL-20201003-163714247.jpg

There's no movement with spring bar tool...

Might be cheap spring bars, rusted into the case. The savage in me would just get the pliers out and rip those bastards out. Looks like that strap belongs in the bin too, so no harm if you wreck it :D

unkel wrote: »
    Might be cheap spring bars, rusted into the case. The savage in me would just get the pliers out and rip those bastards out. Looks like that strap belongs in the bin too, so no harm if you wreck it :D

I have spare spring bars...it's worth f all so do you think it's worth breaking them out?

That's what I would do. Not saying you should though! :p

Perhaps try a more gentle approach first, maybe WD40?

Be careful you don't damage the case, that's an original Ben Sherman

I would be happy to use a hammer and chisel to take it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

Hoping someone can share some advice about a Seiko solar Watch that has stopped working due to being left in a watch box.
    I read online to leave it on the window sill. It’s been there for 5 days now but not coming back to life.
    Is there something else that has to be done?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

shutup wrote: »
    Hoping someone can share some advice about a Seiko solar Watch that has stopped working due to being left in a watch box.
    I read online to leave it on the window sill. It’s been there for 5 days now but not coming back to life.
    Is there something else that has to be done?
    Thanks

Needs a new capacitor most likely - not sure how easy they are to change, but I don't think it's an uncommon problem.

Advertisement