Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,025 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Thirdfox wrote: »
    So what do people make of Rolex's new announcements? Apparently we had a few people queuing outside Weirs this morning :D

We have a dedicated thread on that :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭micks_address

Cienciano wrote: »

I know they are amazing to look at but actually seeing the time looks messy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

The 0.5 seconds per day accuracy is pretty cool :)

But like the Zenith Defy Lab - won't be seeing this in a "less complicated visually" design anytime soon I imagine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well this is weird... Hadn't logged into TZ.UK for a few months and now found I can't post, search or even look at my own profile. I'm not banned(though feck knows why I would be) as I can log in and view the public forums. If I log out I can search alright but..

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    Well this is weird... Hadn't logged into TZ.UK for a few months and now found I can't post, search or even look at my own profile. I'm not banned(though feck knows why I would be) as I can log in and view the public forums. If I log out I can search alright but..

You did something bold :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Did they just ban Irish ip addresses from posting because of the Solas Starlight?

You're all shills, don't ya know.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭banie01

hitemfrank wrote: »
    Did they just ban Irish ip addresses from posting because of the Solas Starlight?

I don't think so, I can log in fine.
    Not that I'm all that active over there with my grand total of three post :(

banie01 wrote: »
    I don't think so, I can log in fine.
    Not that I'm all that active over there with my grand total of three post :(

Ha same here. Very low 2 figure post count. I would love to be able to view the sales corner as some great bargains come up there occasionally. That said, I'd be weary to start spamming the forum just to get to 50 posts quickly...

unkel wrote: »
    Ha same here. Very low 2 figure post count. I would love to be able to view the sales corner as some great bargains come up there occasionally. That said, I'd be weary to start spamming the forum just to get to 50 posts quickly...

I seem to be in good order anyways... I wouldn't say great bargains but much better selection there for sure

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »

I've heard great things about the sales corner but some of the very best deals I've seen over the last while have been on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Been getting my arse kicked up and down the street these days in work. Decided to take a break and booked into a hotel and have a day or two by the pool and generally relax. Got into the pool and realised the gas release valve on my seamaster 300 was open. Had a heart attack but googling tells me with it open you reduce the water proofing to 50m. Still a squeaky bum moment.

Been getting my arse kicked up and down the street these days in work. Decided to take a break and booked into a hotel and have a day or two by the pool and generally relax. Got into the pool and realised the gas release valve on my seamaster 300 was open. Had a heart attack but googling tells me with it open you reduce the water proofing to 50m. Still a squeaky bum moment.

Phew..I know it's daft but I don't bring mine in the pool any more...I had the bezel fade on a steinhart once and apparently can be due to clorine content in pool...ocd I know

Ah lads, if you can't go for a swim in a pool with a diver's watch? :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

You did something bold :)
    I really didn't. Never got within an asses roar of some of the occasional bitchiness and cliques over there. If anything the clannishness with some on the forum had put me off. That and it was turning into the Rolex forum for a time. But nope did nada. Maybe it's the Solas angle, though I never mentioned it, or wouldn't, nor even saw any threads involving it. :confused:

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Had this exact convo with wife last night. What is the point of having nice things if you can't use them. Herself has a few Louis Vuitton handbags/purses and she USES them instead of wrapping them up in their dust bags for special occasions. We work bloody hard to be able to buy nice things, what's the point of not enjoying them?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,118 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I hate the look of smart watches, but appreciate the functionality. So I’m thinking g if going the hybrid route.
    There seems to be a huge variance in features between models. Wondering anyone has experience or knowledge on the latest?

Requirements:
    Looks like an analogue until activated
    Alerts (text, email, apps)
    Heart Rate
    Activity Tracker
    Sleep tracker
    Quick release straps

Bonus but not essential. GPS

Mellor wrote: »
    I hate the look of smart watches, but appreciate the functionality. So I’m thinking g if going the hybrid route.
    There seems to be a huge variance in features between models. Wondering anyone has experience or knowledge on the latest?

Requirements:
    Looks like an analogue until activated
    Alerts (text, email, apps)
    Heart Rate
    Activity Tracker
    Sleep tracker
    Quick release straps

Bonus but not essential. GPS

Zetime, Zetime 2 or a Sony WENA strap were all that were really available in that ilk last time I had a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,801 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I’m wearing a whoop strap on my right wrist these days.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    im wearing a watch on both wrists these days, garmin vivo 4 is a great watch for tracking everything

Cyrus wrote: »

I should have added to my own reply.
    That's exactly what I'm doing too, mi-band 4 on my right wrist.

• Advertisement

I should have added to my own reply.
    That's exactly what I'm doing too, mi-band 4 on my right wrist.

I've had two mi bands and once you let the battery go dead, that's it, goodbye.

I've heard great things about the sales corner but some of the very best deals I've seen over the last while have been on here.

adverts.ie FTW!

I've picked up some great bargains there over the years alright. But you need to get lucky and / or spend a lot of time searching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Zetime, Zetime 2 or a Sony WENA strap were all that were really available in that ilk last time I had a look.

I've been tempted to try out the WENA strap but it's a lot more expensive than I expect and I decide against it.

I've had two mi bands and once you let the battery go dead, that's it, goodbye.

I had that issue with my current one but revived it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Had this exact convo with wife last night. What is the point of having nice things if you can't use them. Herself has a few Louis Vuitton handbags/purses and she USES them instead of wrapping them up in their dust bags for special occasions. We work bloody hard to be able to buy nice things, what's the point of not enjoying them?

The people who put the Prada/LV/Chanel/Hermes bags *in their storage bags* to use them make me smile. Pretty sure the high end leather Prada and their likes use is supposed to able to withstand more abuse than the usual leather bags.

Kinda like not taking the plastic covers off your leather sofa (which apparently is a thing too!)

I do hope Wibbs' issues with TZ have nothing to do with Starlight :/

Oh and interesting news about the Sólás "glas sleamhnaigh" "glide lock" clasp - despite it being out of patent - so far the only factories that seem to make them seem to put Rolex logos on them (i.e. illegal trademark infringement). Obviously I won't be dealing with those factories - but it's funny - while a really good design (and legal to produce now) - it seems that there isn't much demand for it other than being used in fakes. Could be just like the movement situation - people aren't willing to pay X amount for a functionally awesome clasp if it's not also branded for Swiss use…

It would be an additional cost for Sólás to get this built from ground up - but we're exploring that cost too - a good clasp for divers is key if you want it on bracelet I think (lovely Tudor Pelagos clasp isn't out of patent unfortunately). And doesn't just benefit the divers either - but also people wanting to adjust length on the fly to account for wrist expansion/contraction in the office/outside etc.

The standard strapcode ratcheting clasp isn't good enough for Sólás after having examined it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,118 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There’s a load of options now.
    Garmin, Fossil, Withings, Misfit. All have multiple models.
    OmegaGene wrote: »
    im wearing a watch on both wrists these days, garmin vivo 4 is a great watch for tracking everything

I was looking at the Vivomove HR. I’m assuming it has the same backend as the fitness bands.
    Cyrus wrote: »

I was gonna get that last year. But struggling to justify a subscription for something I’d expect to buy outright.

I had that issue with my current one but revived it :)

Do tell?

Do tell?

Used the original charger clip and a 30w usb charger and left it plugged in overnight.
    Stubbornness, rather than technical ability but it powered back on for me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Watch it at 5.00 mins in:eek:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Sorry Wibbs. I think I chatted on the picture thread by mistake

Advertisement