Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭micks_address

Cienciano wrote: »
    Be careful you don't damage the case, that's an original Ben Sherman

Vice grips did the job... He thought it was 22mm but it's actually 24mm..fitted 22mm strap for now..worth more than the watch

• Registered Users Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭893bet

unkel wrote: »
    That article is almost a year old :p

But yeah, the person who bought the one from 893bet here recently (for about €2,400?) got a pretty decent deal, will likely go up a bit in value. But some of the more recent seamaster asking prices on adverts (and elsewhere) have been for the birds imho

2500 I think. Probably worth 2700-2800 if I could have been arsed shipping abroad or waiting for the right opportunity locally. But I wasn’t for the sake of it. Happy to see it stay on the forum as I may want a second bite of the cherry. The collection needed to be freshened so shipped stuff out fast.

“Life’s too short not to wear your best watches”

Socrafitzes 2020

Still after a nice Nomos though.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

Eoin wrote: »
    Needs a new capacitor most likely - not sure how easy they are to change, but I don't think it's an uncommon problem.

Thanks Eoin

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

Anyone here order from creation watches using the free standard mail option lately? Did ye get hit for customs?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,025 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Yeah I did. I went for free post without the box. Still got caught.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Fitz II

The 3 or 4 times I ordered from creation I always got done for tax....every time. It really minimises the savings when you add it all up.

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

shutup wrote: »
    Hoping someone can share some advice about a Seiko solar Watch that has stopped working due to being left in a watch box.
    I read online to leave it on the window sill. It’s been there for 5 days now but not coming back to life.
    Is there something else that has to be done?
    Thanks

I had the same problem, and it went back to Seiko eventually for a warranty repair, no amount of windowsill time brought it back to life

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

Thanks lads I was thinking same sure it works out similar to get it from Amazon US for the Orient Bambino's I'm looking at and you'd get an actual vendor whod look after you warranty wise

https://youtu.be/5TK3_pDtxz8

That caseback is ........mental

Lols lovely.....9k euro ish......

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭banie01

893bet wrote: »

I'd actually never have it on my wrist as I'd be looking at the back so often :pac:

• Advertisement

That I like a lot, heavy price but very interesting. Shame its "another" speedmaster edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Christ, you'd think the 3 lads sat on a speedmaster and the watch launched them to the moon.

Having said that, it's a nice colour scheme

Fitz II wrote: »
    That I like a lot, heavy price but very interesting. Shame its "another" speedmaster edition.

Not a “limited one” at that! Omega gonna flog that horse hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Sorry guys, to me it's the most ridiculous example of watch marketing. Even NASA's idea of a 'Snoopy Award' is laughable but to 'commemorate it is scraping the marketing bucket.

And while I'm on the subject of Omega marketing, the size of the Speedie watch 'box' is a definite disincentive to buy for me. With Bulova the watch is too big (bigger than the original) and with Omega the watch isn't the problem it's the suitcase it comes with.

Not a “limited one” at that! Omega gonna flog that horse hard.

They've been doing that for over 50 years. Insane price for a good watch. But hey if there are fools out there forking out that sort of money, it's only fair for Omega to extract that from them :D

Hey look in this world where everyone is excited when rolex do power rangers colours on an OP and size up the sub 0.3mm this watch is a bit of fun. Now I agree that Omega flog the moon thing to death, but every brand has their shtick. I agree the box is ridiculous but on the other hand a Rolex box is a low quality bit of garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Spotted this on TheWatchSite that might be of interest to some on here. The Naked Watchmaker has a PDF book of the Seiko Museum showing all the different watches they have with high quality pictures that can be downloaded free (just need to enter email,I can't share the pdf directly) [Link] .Also saw this about John McGonigle [Link]

I'm watching The Spitfire Factory on C4 at the moment, and every ad break has an Amelia Earhart themed Longines ad.

Really pushing the "spirit collection" some nice looking bits but price seems tasty to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

I really like the brand. Swatch have kind of pigeon holed them in a certain bracket unfortunately but their heritage is their best asset so they are flogging it. They used to be positioned a lot higher.

I've always fancied getting a big eye at some stage. They're generally reasonably good value in my opinion.

redlead wrote: »

I've always fancied getting a big eye at some stage. They're generally reasonably good value in my opinion.

Fantastic heritage IMO and the big eye is where I'd be laying money down too if I was buying.
    Great value 2nd hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭tjhook

Cienciano wrote: »
    After having a watch with a power reserve, power reserves are added to the list of useless features.

I have to disagree - even if I am in the minority. The only complication I'd bother actually using regularly on a watch is the power reserve. When I have one, I check it every day. I don't see myself using any other complication as frequently.

Having said that, I've heard (but never seen) that some watches have the power reserve on the back. As a purely "functional" complication, that sounds like a good compromise. And it would remove some clutter from the dial.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,118 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Nice watch. But can't see how it justifies the price.

Oisin tries on the new sub and my favourite new Rolex :D

Excellent video, as always. Also very handy that he has about same size wrist as me. Gives me a good idea of the size of a watch.

Its the first time I ever saw one of his videos pop up and not watch it. Just didn't have it in me to look at 25 mins discussing minute details on rolex. Its starting to remind me of sky sports news at this stage. Rolex change the bezel size by 0.0000002 mm and there is 5 hours of over analysis to follow (not him, just rolex coverage in general).To be fair to him, if you are interested its guaranteed to be a great clip. Looking forward to one of his travel videos as thats where the channel really stands out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

tjhook wrote: »
    I have to disagree - even if I am in the minority. The only complication I'd bother actually using regularly on a watch is the power reserve. When I have one, I check it every day. I don't see myself using any other complication as frequently.

Having said that, I've heard (but never seen) that some watches have the power reserve on the back. As a purely "functional" complication, that sounds like a good compromise. And it would remove some clutter from the dial.

Pans have them on the back on some models.

I just don't want shít on the dial, annoying that so many spring drives have it, would put me off getting one

Its the first time I ever saw one of his videos pop up and not watch it. Just didn't have it in me to look at 25 mins discussing minute details on rolex.

Watch it. There's far more to that video than that. The minute details on the new Rolex is only a very small part of it.

And while we're at it, was there a second part of that watches in movies video about Interstellar and did someone grab a copy of it before it was taken down over copyright issues? I watched and enjoyed the first part, would love to see the second part. He really is very good at these too!

Will do.

Id love to see both parts if anyone has them. I was really looking forward to it because Interstellar is one of my favourite movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,801 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Fitz II wrote: »

im a tart but i really like this

ill stick my name down in weirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

Will do.

Id love to see both parts if anyone has them. I was really looking forward to it because Interstellar is one of my favourite movies.

I have a local copy of the first part and I'm waiting on the second part.

Did anyone download it? If so can you provide a link?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Has anyone bought watches from Reddit Watch Exchange? Can you use the An Post's Address Pal to forward it from the US?
    Is it likely to get stung for tax?

Advertisement