Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

Sorry Wibbs. I think I chatted on the picture thread by mistake

I think the no quoting pictures refers to including the actual picture in your reply. There wouldn't be much point in a watch forum if you can't discuss the watches people get.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

redlead wrote: »
    I think the no quoting pictures refers to including the actual picture in your reply. There wouldn't be much point in a watch forum if you can't discuss the watches people get.

Ok, thanks for clearing that up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ah jaysis S, chattings no bother. I can't keep me gob or keyboard shut on that subject. :D It's quoting pics that does my head in on watch forums. Now I know on phones it can be a pain to remove them so I snip them when they come up.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

No worries. My Dad gave me this watch ages ago. Is it any worth? I don't know where he got it from, it's obviously a man's watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

No worries. My Dad gave me this watch ages ago. Is it any worth? I don't know where he got it from, it's obviously a man's watch.

No it wouldn't be worth anything other than for sentimentality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

blue5000 wrote: »

Watch it at 5.00 mins in:eek:

That's a great watch - pun intended 😁

Mad video, did they find out or give a reason why those safes were there?

redlead wrote: »
    No it wouldn't be worth anything other than for sentimentality.

I thought that but he was adamant it was expensive. I didn't want to hurt his feelings so I took it. He had it in one of the cupboards for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭quattro777

Anyone bought a Straton?

They have some nice designs and I'm tempted....

www.stratonwc.com

How much would the excise duty be on a 700 euro watch from Switzerland?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

eljono wrote: »
    That's a great watch - pun intended 😁

Mad video, did they find out or give a reason why those safes were there?

I've a feeling the canal is where burglars dump the safes they rob after they open them.

Can't be leaving them out for the binman :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

quattro777 wrote: »
    Anyone bought a Straton?

www.stratonwc.com

How much would the excise duty be on a 700 euro watch from Switzerland?

I see the guy behind Straton watches on facebook quite often - he's pretty active there and people like his stuff - Kyle Schut I think.

https://www.wethrift.com/straton-watch-co?__cf_chl_captcha_tk__=520ebb136bc1d4c61008849d4e0178c7ce0da091-1599252259-0-Ae93YLB4bA4aYF4tx4AjeRaB2PtIklztvcYBUxv3vkczP6TAxTnIF2b2E5fS0Mh-XleVWeVxzMOBokvWVsaqv1sFEKmcrXq7XcLjxaHCdeyONo1mZDSYS_ilP-orL7E_3f5vsyM3MEnNRAGUVpy5GM-48pnvmqkgfIOqiUK0sPCnZWLykwgLmughqRMiFnVjoc-qfnLQAEmwy9doEjIywA6gh6lMYwUEYhlQ6lVmYVjyudZv-PMfq_587mG8jLgw2lNJKOaKsJ2Y_dNlhBcJ97fFlFVDjmyDNvUbnOUW9MaBa5DZMX0UT_nB9mIN9NoBxHo39jY45UDvGDK9wyhp4076zsDdmK8bHDEs5XGh0vVXaoxP3mKiFC8iW0yUfA7_Ys36koWT2iHaWiQdh3DprLWB-vwLLphj06pEzbn2hI-HUafJ4MzP2iNBFh_8qlImjtlYBMQtxVfmt_F1qyCRNvn3tHgK89XCyul65W4fZbkZeSXUm4NbO_--xxzuyHQamIZWaKO3UXthNfyggt2Hy5onz6zfSP8vF-dn0Ogkw0sEXOcdQta8d41GF4gC3Bpu7A

With microbrands do remember to check for discount codes - apparently it's up to 25% discount but I haven't confirmed it.

There wouldn't be any excise duty on watches (which applies to tobacco and alcohol only I believe :P ) but customs and VAT would apply - 80c customs duty on a watch I understand and 21% reduced VAT right now until March (instead of 23%).

If you join some of the microbrand facebook groups I'm sure you can get in touch with Kyle, the owner himself - that's the benefit with microbrands :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

quattro777 wrote: »
    Anyone bought a Straton?

Yep, I had one with a Seiko Mecha-quartz movement - didn't have it for long (not a reflection on the watch), but it seemed pretty well put together.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

• Registered Users Posts: 39,118 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

OmegaGene wrote: »
    This is the one I have, I added an analogue breitling face but it looked sh1t

https://buy.garmin.com/en-IE/GB/p/643382

How did you add an analogue face? Or do you mean a digital “clockface” on the screen.

I’m thinking of something like;

https://buy.garmin.com/en-AU/AU/p/583562/pn/010-01850-14

https://buy.garmin.com/en-AU/AU/p/662825/pn/010-02240-03

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Screenshot-20200909-085301-02.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Fitz II

I (fitzgeme) am back from my 40 days and nights in the desert. This is my new account as due to some issues with boards.ie I have deleted my old account. Glad to be back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Fitz II wrote: »
    I (fitzgeme) am back from my 40 days and nights in the desert. This is my new account as due to some issues with boards.ie I have deleted my old account. Glad to be back.

Yes this is me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

C-658-Vs-Xo-Ao3ov-C.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Yes this is me

tenor.gif
    tenor.gif

There was a lazy panda .gif also, but that is most definitely me ;) rather than FG
    tenor.gif

Welcome back FG, you were certainly missed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

I have a £20 off voucher for www.watchshop.com if anyone was thinking of buying from them in the next couple days?

It is valid for 7 days and has a £100 min spend.

If anyone wants it send me a PM.

The latest upload from "The Timeless Watch Channel"

Watches in Movies - 'INTERSTELLAR' - Part 1 of 2 - Hamilton Khaki Field 'Murph'

This is not your average watch review or watch channel. I was going to watch it on my tablet but I broadcasted it to my tv, as this video deserves the full 4k.

This is what a great youtube channel should be. Enjoy :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭893bet

I actually can’t understand how it hasn’t grown faster to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Timeless watch channel is awesome, love his take on watches, I am a patreon of his.....However....the movie reviews are not my cup of tea, more watches please....leave the vague movie tie ins to TGV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

oxocube wrote: »
    The latest upload from "The Timeless Watch Channel"

Watches in Movies - 'INTERSTELLAR' - Part 1 of 2 - Hamilton Khaki Field 'Murph'

This is not your average watch review or watch channel. I was going to watch it on my tablet but I broadcasted it to my tv, as this video deserves the full 4k.

This is what a great youtube channel should be. Enjoy :cool:

It's been removed due to copyright infringement.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭893bet

It's been removed due to copyright infringement.

Back!! minus around 30 seconds
    https://youtu.be/__M4de0Zvnc

893bet wrote: »
    Back!! minus around 30 seconds
    https://youtu.be/__M4de0Zvnc

Downloaded it, just in case ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

What's everyone's opinion of the new Seiko SPB14X series? Loving the 62MAS styling cues and sizing, without the SLA pricetag. The bracelet/case finishing looks fantastic compared to the usual lower tier Prospex models. I had a craving for the last SPB but couldn't live with that hand set.
    Seiko-spb-2020-spb14x-herojpg.jpg?ixlib=rails-1.1.0&fm=jpg&q=55&auto=format&usm=12
    I'm feeling the Grey on bracelet, couldn't care much for the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,801 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

david wrote: »
    What's everyone's opinion of the new Seiko SPB14X series? Loving the 62MAS styling cues and sizing, without the SLA pricetag. The bracelet/case finishing looks fantastic compared to the usual lower tier Prospex models. I had a craving for the last SPB but couldn't live with that hand set.
    Seiko-spb-2020-spb14x-herojpg.jpg?ixlib=rails-1.1.0&fm=jpg&q=55&auto=format&usm=12
    I'm feeling the Grey on bracelet, couldn't care much for the others.

Blue dial is nice how much are they ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Cyrus wrote: »
    Blue dial is nice how much are they ?

Not much on the used market - seen a few of the SPB143 (grey) £8-900 On eBay uk.

The blue is $1450 ish rrp but selling a bit higher due to production limitations. Limited to 5500 qty. comes with bracelet and rubber.

The grey and brown approx $1300 RRP

The gilt on rubber is $1100.

As usual the grey market export sites are sitting a good 20% below but you’ve liable for the VAT and higher band customs.

Can see these being hugely in demand in the future.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

david wrote: »
    Not much on the used market - seen a few of the SPB143 (grey) £8-900 On eBay uk.

The blue is $1450 ish rrp but selling a bit higher due to production limitations. Limited to 5500 qty. comes with bracelet and rubber.

The grey and brown approx $1300 RRP

The gilt on rubber is $1100.

As usual the grey market export sites are sitting a good 20% below but you’ve liable for the VAT and higher band customs.

Can see these being hugely in demand in the future.

Personally I'd wait a few months and buy used. PPL who tend to buy these 'limited editions' are in mho serial flippers, they can't wait to offload when the next new shiny object catches their eye and they have to have it.

I see they have a 6R35 movement. Good power reserve there at 70 hours compared to 40 odd in the 4R 36, any better accuracy? Crown at 3 and no crown guard would put me off. Is there a ceramic bezel?

Oh I see you got the pics at Hodinkee :(

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/seiko-prospex-spb143-spb145-spb147-and-spb149-introducing

edit; sorry, I see it's only the blue dial version is limited to 5500 pieces.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Was it Unkel that is looking for a blue YM?
    Saw this in the window of Keane's in Limerick if it's any help?

MVIMG-20200918-102944.jpg

Advertisement