Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭honda boi

horse7 wrote: »
    What's up with it?

Having issues waiting for logbook.
    Got it as a project and fixed it up.
    Mechanically it seems fine now but cosmetically needs attention

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭horse7

Presumably a Honda?

Presumably a Honda?

All my previous bikes were honda but this one is a Suzuki gsx 1400

honda boi wrote: »
    All my previous bikes were honda but this one is a Suzuki gsx 1400

Massive,best of luck with her.

Massive,best of luck with her.

Thanks
    Hopefully I can get out on a spin with yas soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Looks like I'm going to have to become a biker due to work change. It's north city location and I'm coming from south side. Public transport will be too difficult with me having to take several different forms of it. Car is out as I'd be sitting in traffic all day. So bike it is. I know the steps in regards to getting the licence but am utterly clueless as to what bike to get.
    Journey would be about 20-25k in and then the same back, on 80kph max roads with medium to heavy traffic. My only preferences with regard the bike would be that it's as cheap as possible to run, reliable, and suitable for that kind of daily commute. Would anyone have any recommendations? Please and thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Mousewar wrote: »
    Looks like I'm going to have to become a biker due to work change. It's north city location and I'm coming from south side. Public transport will be too difficult with me having to take several different forms of it. Car is out as I'd be sitting in traffic all day. So bike it is. I know the steps in regards to getting the licence but am utterly clueless as to what bike to get.
    Journey would be about 20-25k in and then the same back, on 80kph max roads with medium to heavy traffic. My only preferences with regard the bike would be that it's as cheap as possible to run, reliable, and suitable for that kind of daily commute. Would anyone have any recommendations? Please and thanks.

Give LIGHTNING a shout, he recently started up like yourself and is driving a 125cc Suzuki if I remember correctly. He seems happy out with it from the posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

I had a Honda Varadero 125, if I was using it for your commute I would never have sold it.

Example:
    https://www.donedeal.co.uk/motorbikes-for-sale/honda-varadero-125cc/22295270
    https://www.donedeal.co.uk/motorbikes-for-sale/honda-varadero-125/22366642

There's a few more on Donedeal also. Should be pretty cheap to Insure and does 65mpg it'll be great for city traffic because it it's quite tall and you get a great view over cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 scsei

Booked in for my theory test in a few weeks. Have the book etc, just wondering if there's any decent mock tests online that include the bike specific questions?

Cheers in advance, and very excited to get going on 2 wheels!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

scsei wrote: »
    Booked in for my theory test in a few weeks. Have the book etc, just wondering if there's any decent mock tests online that include the bike specific questions?

Cheers in advance, and very excited to get going on 2 wheels!

The theory test CD has mock tests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Cian_ok

zubair wrote: »
    The theory test CD has mock tests.

And you may be able to borrow these from your local library.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 maringhs

Could I get a rough ballpark figure for how much 3rd party insurance will be for 50cc, 125cc, 250cc and 300cc scooters? can be a complete guess, I don't care if you're off by a few hundred euro. I'm a 23 year old complete beginner, haven't even gone past a provisional licence on my mom's car a complete motor virgin.

And as an aside, why are 250cc motorbikes recommended everywhere for beginners? A ninja 250r's max speed is 170km/hr. My dad thinks I should start out on a 50cc. I don't know if that's because he's old or what but that sounds stupid to me. He had five motorbikes all the way up to a Honda 175 when he was young so I'd generally trust him, but 50cc scooters are maxed out at what, 60km/hr? I don't want to be buying 3 scooters upgrading over and over just to save a few hundred euro on insurance, sounds like a lot of effort reselling on adverts and likely I won't save any money at all. He's not paying for me so I don't have to take his advice, just not confident in my own decisions here since one recommendation sounds way too liberal and the other is too restrictive. A 125 or 250cc scooter looks reasonable to me?

Not making judgement on people starting out on 250cc btw I know literally nothing, it just sounds to me like a 250r would be fine as a sort of 'endgame' motorbike with that as a max speed.

I'd recommend a 125cc street bike, to gain experience ,learn your mistakes and after at least a year or more you can decide whether or not to move on up or off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Anything below 600 feels like a toy tbh. Just because they have a max speed doesn't mean you aim for it.

I feel safer having a bike with some decent weight as you give it more respect.

You learn to walk before you start running.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 maringhs

Which occupation would get you a lower insurance premium: student or unemployed?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Unemployed.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/car-insurance-job-picker/#sectors

(1 enter amount, 2 enter "student", submit, 3 click on "try another sector", 4 click on "other work". I was surprised. I knew they were both "expensive occupations", but I would have thought it the other way round. Never thought that being a courier/despatch rider would have been cheaper than a student too.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Armaghmagic

Have my theory test tomorrow and then will look for my IBT shortly after providing I pass.

What types of bikes are insurance companies tending to go easy on new bikers? I am a 32 year old teacher and reserve Garda and have ZERO biking experience. I realise I should be looking for a naked bike but after that i'm stumped. Looking for something that can reach 150kph but is easy enough on the juice and easy to ride. Have a budget of about €3,000.

Thanks,
    Conor

It doesn't stricktly have to be a naked bike.

Most of the learners I see in Galway are on Bandit 650's.

Have seen a few SV650's also which a lot of people praise.

I did my IBT on a naked CBF600. I then bought a 2008 Honda CBF600 faired model with ABS - I'd suffer from wind blast on a naked as I do a fair bit of mileage on main roads/motorway and it's a pretty comofrtable bike.

Have put almost 8K miles on it in less than a year and it hasn't missed a beat but the larger windscreen from Givi is a must, does pretty much 45mpg on the dot.

I did my IBT on a naked CBF600. I then bought a 2008 Honda CBF600 faired model with ABS - I'd suffer from wind blast on a naked as I do a fair bit of mileage on main roads/motorway and it's a pretty comofrtable bike.

Have put almost 8K miles on it in less than a year and it hasn't missed a beat but the larger windscreen from Givi is a must, does pretty much 45mpg on the dot.

In my opinion the cbf600 is the best beginner bike option, I started on a hornet which is a good bike too but the cbf is better for learners, it's also a better than the SV, bandit and fazer. Knowing what I know now, I'd have started on one.

All those bikes will do around 230 and there's not much in the consumption between them, the SV is probably the most frugal.

• Advertisement

Have you a link for the givi screen, picture of bike would be great.

The screen is called a Givi 303ST - it's the same one for the CBF1000 so you'll see it mentioned in searches too but they both mount the same.

It's considerably larger than the standard screen, I went to compare and stick the old one in front of it but remembered I left it at home.
    https://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_odkw=givi303st&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=givi+303st&_sacat=0

sak1BrW.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

The screen is called a Givi 303ST - it's the same one for the CBF1000 so you'll see it mentioned in searches too but they both mount the same.

It's considerably larger than the standard screen, I went to compare and stick the old one in front of it but remembered I left it at home.
    https://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_odkw=givi303st&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=givi+303st&_sacat=0

sak1BrW.jpg
    What year is your bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 fredr92

What are the AXA/Liberty assessments included in some IBT packages like? Is there any way you could screw them up and end up raising your insurance costs? I was looking at Liberty earlier and it only sheds 30 euro off my insurance anyway, it seems hardly worth it.

I'm 23 and my first bike is a 125cc fully automatic scooter. What's the cheapest (long term) IBT plan I should go for?
    I know it's typically recommended you go for a full A training first, but I'm not going to be 24 for 5 months and can't wait. I'm fine with having to pay an extra money but what's the next cheapest plan for someone like me?

I'm thinking it might be better just to go for A1 training and in a year when I'll upgrade to a 250cc manual bike then I'll go for full A training instead of the progression modules. Or if I went for A2 right now and did the A2-A progression module in two years, do you think it would be too hard doing the A2 test on a manual? I have a lot of experience with the clutch in cars but never motorbikes, I'd be worried about failing the driving test.

Have you a link for the givi screen, picture of bike would be great.

Also consider the MRA screen with spoiler.

sak1BrW.jpg

It's a 2009, black like yours, you have excellent pictures, it's in great condition,

zubair wrote: »
    Also consider the MRA screen with spoiler.

I bought an MRA screen for a 2012 cbf1000. It wad supposed to be a touring screen, yet its only 30mm longer than the original. I kept it anyway as it was grey smoked and looked better. Did nothing for windblast though.

I bought an ole cheap-o spoiler thing on Alexpress for the standard screen it was an ok job but the big Givi screen is better all round.

My bike is 2008. The pipes aren't as clean as when I bought it :(

I bought an ole cheap-o spoiler thing on Alexpress for the standard screen it was an ok job but the big Givi screen is better all round.

My bike is 2008. The pipes aren't as clean as when I bought it :(

Got a link,how much was it?

• Advertisement

I have this ordered to see if it's any help.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07T8LT2NC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Its coming from china too.

Advertisement