Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

God i'd love a spin in one of those :D

They're very stable* if you don't have a specially rigged one that is weighted to fall over.

When I get my act together and drag it over, you're welcome to experience the thrill of 3-wheeled motoring. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,001 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

They should've balanced out lardarse Clarkson with a couple of bags of cement in the passenger seat :p

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Xodar

Has anyone experience of the Honda NC700S as a first bike? I'm very much interested in this as my first bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 JCbiker

Xodar wrote: »
    Has anyone experience of the Honda NC700S as a first bike? I'm very much interested in this as my first bike.

Quick search tells me its hondas version of the Yamaha mt07.
    Mate of mine has the mt07 and its a lovely bike to drive.
    Comfortable seated position and nice bit of power too
    Both bikes are 35kw

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Xodar

JCbiker wrote: »
    Quick search tells me its hondas version of the Yamaha mt07.
    Mate of mine has the mt07 and its a lovely bike to drive.
    Comfortable seated position and nice bit of power too
    Both bikes are 35kw

Yeah, the MT-07 was the first bike I was looking at and the Honda came up in a few searches and looks like an interesting bike. Storage compartment where the fuel tank should be that can take a full sized helmet!

Apparently it is a little underpowered and redlines at 6500rpm and tops out at 188 kmph. Some reviews say it needs to be driven like a diesel car ðŸ˜

Reviews say it handles well and has a low centre of gravity and good low down torque.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

From the feedback I've heard, the MT07 is a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 colmg12

Hi guys,
    Looking to get my A license learner permit soon, although I’m only 17. Always wanted a bike but think it’ll be almost impossible to get insured on anything at my age. Plus, I’m not even sure how things work. I have my full car license and to be honest I have no idea whatsoever where to start, do I need EDT etc? Thanks guys (I’m also looking for some brutal honesty, if it’s going to be near impossible for me to get a license/insured, please let me know!)
    Thanks, Colm

17, fair play. It's obviously doable but it's a bit of a faff and you're very restricted at your age. If it's only for spins and not your only means of transport I'd wait a year so you qualify for A2.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 994 Mod ✭✭✭✭LookBehindYou

colmg12 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Looking to get my A license learner permit soon, although I’m only 17. Always wanted a bike but think it’ll be almost impossible to get insured on anything at my age. Plus, I’m not even sure how things work. I have my full car license and to be honest I have no idea whatsoever where to start, do I need EDT etc? Thanks guys (I’m also looking for some brutal honesty, if it’s going to be near impossible for me to get a license/insured, please let me know!)
    Thanks, Colm

16 to 18 = A1 ( 125cc )
    !8 to 24 = A2 (35kw)
    24 onwards = A (no restriction)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Sorry for the noob question guys (and gals). I'm looking at trying to get into biking, with a view to starting out on a 125. I've looked at doing the theory test , the only category coming up for me is the AM (moped). If i do the test on AM, then how do I progress to A1??
    i know the steps are : theory test - learner permit - ibt - driving test....but how do i get from an AM to A1 licence ?? Probably blindingly obvious.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 994 Mod ✭✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Sorry for the noob question guys (and gals). I'm looking at trying to get into biking, with a view to starting out on a 125. I've looked at doing the theory test , the only category coming up for me is the AM (moped). If i do the test on AM, then how do I progress to A1??
    i know the steps are : theory test - learner permit - ibt - driving test....but how do i get from an AM to A1 licence ?? Probably blindingly obvious.

The Motorcycle Theory Test is the same for AM,A1,A2 and A.

Go straight for an A1 learner permit if you are aged 16 or 17, it covers AM and A1

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ToommisBoo

Hi Everyone,
    More Newbie, learner questions incoming :)
    So ive got the learners permit, looking forward to riding, IBT booked, but theres a issue,

I got BMW r1150rt as a present, lovely bike for jurneys, not for city.
    But no one would quote me. I need minimum 4 years NCB for that SPORTS bike. I can hear yous asking is it sports bike? Well according to people in AXA, Liberty and Nash it has letter R in the name, so it IS SPORT bike.

I have an option to trade that in and get Triumph street Triple R, buuuut.... its sports bike tooo

Oh and they both are in the Class 12 with insurers.

Info bout me.
    31 years
    Live in dublin
    Hace car insurance last 10+ years
    No claims
    No points
    Live in the back arse of County dublin.

Can anyone shine any light?

Cheers

Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Worth asking if they'll insure you on it if you had a full license or do a rider assement after the IBT - that bike isn't that crazy in performance, and the reps on the phone are wrong often and will sprout ****e (the 4years NCB sounds like waffle for that bike).

If that doesn't work then ultimately there is no point having a bike you can't get Insured on.

There was no issue for me getting Insured on a Honda CBF600 and Honda CB 600F Hornet (2007 year onwards model) when I was 30 and a learner - althought it was in Galway not Dublin.

Why is a triple R the only other option? To get a reasonable quote you will have to look at the beginner friendly options.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ToommisBoo

zubair wrote: »
    Why is a triple R the only other option? To get a reasonable quote you will have to look at the beginner friendly options.

Cos either bike is of charge,
    Its a present ;)
    I found a way to ride either one, all i need is a full license, so 6 months till that happens ;)

Thanks for answers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭myclist

Question. Currently have a full A1 licence and would be happy to do the training and upgrade to A2. This would be quick and easy as no test required. If I got an A learner permit (as distinct from an A2) could still progress from A1 to A2, retain the A learner permit and in six months time take the test for full A?
    Reason I ask is upgrade to A2 pretty much instant after training but cant take the A test for six months after training. This way gets me where I want to be quickly with the option of getting the full A if I feel id like to get a bigger bike down the line.
    Hope I'm making myself clear, Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bykobap

Hello
    I am trying to obtain A1 licence.
    I got my B, AM licence back in 2004 and apparently i don't have to sit theory test for A1.
    I was told by NDLS that i don't need do produce medical or eye report.
    Application form and corresponding fee is all that's needed.

Is this true?

Once i am granted learners licence is it then i buy a motorcycle and obtain insurance, road tax etc. in order to attend IBT training?
    Or do i complete IBT with instructors hired motorcycle before i get insured etc and hit the road on my own.?

Also, it's a yamaha xmax 125 scooter i am going for. Can i pass IBT and driving test with scooter because i have zero interest in driving gear changing motorcycle nor do i need it on my licence. I am driving Neos 50cc for the last 15 years and 125 is the only step up i will ever need.

Couple of questions there that i am not 100% certain with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

When did the car and bike theory test go their separate ways. Would Someone who did the theory in 2008 have to do the bike theory?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

I'm filling out the permit application form here...I'm over 24 but looking to start on 125s to ease me into things.
    I'm better off ticking the A category though right? As opposed to the A1.

Am I right in thinking if I tick the A box I'll do the test on a 600cc or more bike? (And the same for the ibt training?)
    Guess it's easier to go in at the top then drop down a few ranks if I wish no?

• Advertisement

Yes to all.

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    I'm filling out the permit application form here...I'm over 24 but looking to start on 125s to ease me into things.
    I'm better off ticking the A category though right? As opposed to the A1.

Am I right in thinking if I tick the A box I'll do the test on a 600cc or more bike? (And the same for the ibt training?)
    Guess it's easier to go in at the top then drop down a few ranks if I wish no?

As above, yes to all. On your IBT you won't jump on a 600 straight away so you'll be eased in anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

UrbanFret wrote: »
    When did the car and bike theory test go their separate ways. Would Someone who did the theory in 2008 have to do the bike theory?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sparkey1984

I have nearly completed my IBT. I have been using a Yamaha Virago 125cc for lessons but am now looking at buying my own bike. I have A permit. Would anyone here have any advice on what kind of a bike would be suitable for getting in some mileage and increasing confidence? I am only 5'2" so looking at something low. Contemplating a Kawasaki Vulcan S or Honda Rebel??

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭LariToper

I have a few questions about progressive access.

I have a Cat A learner permit (direct access, over 24) and did my IBT modules 1,3 and 5 a year ago. I failed the test last year on a Cat A bike due to lack of experience/practice. Now I'm thinking of doing the test this time as an A2, my reasoning being I've had plenty of practice on a very small bike so have all my maneuvers fairly dialed in but I've still only been on Cat A bike 4 times so I think I should have a much better chance on the A2 bike, also I have no real need for an A licence at the moment.

So, if I pass my A2 test, what happens my Category A? Can I still ride a Cat A bike on my learner permit wearing a tabard? After 2 years if I am to upgrade to Cat A through progressive access will I need to do module 5 again? My IBT cert would be expired at that stage.

Thanks in advance

Would you not try a lesson or 2 on a Cat A bike now and see how you get on first?

What A2 bike have you been using?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭LariToper

Would you not try a lesson or 2 on a Cat A bike now and see how you get on first?

What A2 bike have you been using?

Haven't been using an A2 bike at all, I have a Honda C90, I have no aspirations to ever buy a big bike of my own, hence the though of going for an A2. I used an ER-5 in my first lesson of the IBT which I found very easy to handle, did the test on a Bandit, which I dont find too bad but I did end up putting the foot down on the U-turn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭horse7

Anyone for a spin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭honda boi

horse7 wrote: »
    Anyone for a spin?

If the bike was running I would.
    Cracking weather for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭horse7

What's up with it?

Advertisement