Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭enrique66_35

Declan is the main man around Cork, charges €500 for the IBT and covers the test route in Cork extensively as part of that.

His website is here
    http://twowheeltraining.ie/

Declan Recommends Brendan Power, it's on his website.

I did the IBT with the two Declans in September and it was €550 (inflation eh!) and would highly recommend them. Just be prepared for 4 half days (9:30 to 1:30ish) if you have no previous experience as that's what they recommend. I know some places will do it in a weekend but I know I would have struggled with the intensity of two full days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

I did the IBT with the two Declans in September and it was €550 (inflation eh!) and would highly recommend them. Just be prepared for 4 half days (9:30 to 1:30ish) if you have no previous experience as that's what they recommend. I know some places will do it in a weekend but I know I would have struggled with the intensity of two full days.
    €550 :eek: what a difference 18 months makes. I did my IBT in 2 days, 9-5. He must really have changed things around. I never went out with Dec 2 though but he has equally good reviews. I assume once they see how you are in the compound they get a good picture fairly quickly. In Dec 1’s own words “You have a natural flair for it”

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Acquiescence

I've an IBT booked anyway, now to continue burning a hole in the search box on Done Deal.

I'm half tempted to bring something in from the UK before my Missus gets sense and starts vetoing the whole project.

I've an IBT booked anyway, now to continue burning a hole in the search box on Done Deal.

I'm half tempted to bring something in from the UK before my Missus gets sense and starts vetoing the whole project.

Well with Brexit now postponed until January 31st now is a good time. As for the Mrs bit, say fcuk all and just get it, that's exactly how i did it :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Personally I would say don't be too gung ho. Get your ibt and then find the right bike, there's lots of time.

• Advertisement

zubair wrote: »
    Personally I would say don't be too gung ho. Get your ibt and then find the right bike, there's lots of time.

Ah no, I appreciate that. I'm being a bit facetious.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭Varik

So this might be stupid but just trying to save some money and time, and yes I am over complicating it. Just thinking and killing time as I don't intend to do the IBT until after the winter.

If I do a IBT for an A bike and show up to my test on a A2, I get a A2 licence.

Now is it an option with the progressive access that after 2 years that since I've already done module 5 for the A licence that I can just apply and get an A license, or would I just have to do module 5 again like anyone who did the A2 license normally. Is Progression mod 5 different. I'm looking at an A2 bike and to do the the IBT once, and sometime after the 6 months required show up on my own bike for the test. The Progression mod 5 cost almost as much as the full IBT, and I'd also rather just have to pay to borrow instructors A bike to get practice before and for the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

TBH if you're old enough (and almost everyone who can get insured on an A bike is old enough) then just do the IBT and test on an A bike and get the full unrestricted licence. My two cents (but I got started under the 125cc rules!)

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

As above it looks like it would be best to go for an a license but the thing is I fancy starting on something a bit smaller and lighter. Would it be a big disadvantage doing the ibt for a, being a learner on an a2 and then renting an a for the test?

I’d be a bit worried about being on something totally different than I’m used to for the test tbh. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

TBH if you're old enough (and almost everyone who can get insured on an A bike is old enough) then just do the IBT and test on an A bike and get the full unrestricted licence. My two cents (but I got started under the 125cc rules!)

Good advice, anything else is just faffing especially if you plan to the A test anyway.

• Advertisement

Couple of questions:

Is it possible to take the ibt on an derestricted scooter? I've tested my bike out derestricted and can get 50-60 km/h and to be honest it feels a lot safer and just right for my daily commute as I can keep up with traffic. I've no plans to go up to a more powerful bike but just wondering if I could legally ride my bike derestricted?

Secondly, I've the AM from pre 2006 so haven't sat an ibt. How does progression to A1 work in that scenario? Same as if I did an AM IBT or do I start from scratch?

Thanks for your advice.

Eh, I realise this is a bit silly but, I bought gear yesterday and got talked into an RST tractech jacket. It did feel the most 'safe' of everything I tried on and I like the fit but am I going to seem like an awful knob going around with a moto gp style hump at 10kph with a learners vest on? I'm half tempted to go back and change it for something less ostentatious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

If you're happy with it keep it, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

It looks a good jacket if you took a fall. Not sure what it'll be like this time of year though as you really want warm clothes as possible and 'waterproof'.

I went with this when I first started out along with matching jeans.
    https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/277334

You shoot from the hip don't you! Feel free to ask us for advice before you buy, lots of experienced riders on here and we've all made the silly purchases ourselves so we can save you from the mistakes/ headaches.

Is it textile or leather? You would really want textile, waterproof with a removable winter liner this time of year. RST do lots of 4 seasons jackets and trousers that are actually touring/ commuter gear but have a sporty looking cut to them if that's what you want. I had the ventilator 4 jacket and it lasted me 2 years of daily use. Otherwise, unless you're going to be on a 125 I don't see a race hump being silly but it wouldn't be my style.

Yeah it's textile, has a removable winter liner and a waterproof lining and to answer your question yes I'm an idiot.

I do like it I just feel like a bit of a tool in it. I realise I seem like a child.

Any advice on whether you can legally drive a derestricted scooter? With an A1, A2 or A licence?

Also whether an ibt trainer would allow me to train on it and if I can take the test on it?

Cheers.

Yeah it's textile, has a removable winter liner and a waterproof lining and to answer your question yes I'm an idiot.

I do like it I just feel like a bit of a tool in it. I realise I seem like a child.

If you're not happy I'd return it, that said while many of us probably don't have race humps there's nothing wrong with them so I wouldn't over think it either. Personally, I commute daily so I wear touring gear, if you're just planning on going for hot spins and the odd commute then it's fine. Warm, dry and safe, tick!

Finished IBT yesterday evening and spent a few hours on my bike last night. I'm never driving a car again!

Gonna go tool around a car park with some cones for a few hours this morning. Unreal.

Finished IBT yesterday evening and spent a few hours on my bike last night. I'm never driving a car again!

Gonna go tool around a car park with some cones for a few hours this morning. Unreal.

The feeling is eqivalent to a child being let loose in a sweet shop :D

Good stuff, the great thing about riding bikes is it's actually even more fun than it looks. Wait till the season is back, you won't know yourself then.

• Advertisement

Would anybody be able to recommend a brand of shorty levers?

Is replacing levers something I should be capable of doing myself with a bit of help from YouTube?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Bigserious1

Anyone happen to have a lucky L vest in Dublin?

Have my test coming up on Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭horse7

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭madbev90210

Anyone happen to have a lucky L vest in Dublin?

Have my test coming up on Friday

Have an L vest.. can't say whether it's lucky or not! Do you not have one already?!

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭howardmarks

Some noob questions if I may.
    Can you do the A1 test on a Honda pcx 125?

Can you have an A1 learner permit and an A permit at the same time? Age depending obviously

Some noob questions if I may.
    Can you do the A1 test on a Honda pcx 125?

Can you have an A1 learner permit and an A permit at the same time? Age depending obviously

Here's the list.

https://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/Driving-Test-Vehicles---Motorcycles/

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭howardmarks

Yeah I seen the list. Unfortunately It hasn't been updated since 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Yeah I seen the list. Unfortunately It hasn't been updated since 2013.

An A1 bike is one which ticks the following boxes:

Engine not exceeding 125cc

Power rating not exceeding 11KW

Power to weight not exceeding 0.1KW/KG.

The current PCX 125 is a 125 with a 9KW output and has a kerb weight of 130kg which means 0.07 KW/KG.

So assuming your bike is a current model or close to, it should qualify as an A1.

For a bit more reassurance, the current Honda Ireland catalogue has it listed as an A1.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭horse7

I unscrewed my handlebar ends to do something and the screw in the bar won't come out, any tricks to get it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭honda boi

horse7 wrote: »
    I unscrewed my handlebar ends to do something and the screw in the bar won't come out, any tricks to get it out.

I had the same issue recently .
    Tho my bike was sitting outside for years
    I had to make s**t of the screw and mechanism, and just replaced the bar ends with Chinese aftermarket ones.
    Hopefully yours just needs a bit of penetrating oil and a bit of wiggling might get it free.

Advertisement