Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,936 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You'd be crazy to spend 5k on your first bike.

Life ain't always empty.

I have an A licence even though I've never ridden a bike. Got my licence in 1999, was this normal back then?

No. It's probably AM which was normal then though when passing the B test. <50cc AND restricted to <45km/h

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Xodar

You'd be crazy to spend 5k on your first bike.

Whyso?

The licence will be an 'A' licence and want something 600 or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭horse7

I'm looking into getting a max 125 commuter moped and I'm confused about the licences. I have an A licence even though I've never ridden a bike. Got my licence in 1999, was this normal back then?

Assuming I'm licenced, then what steps do I need to take to get on the road? I will obviously be taking lessons no matter what. Would IBT be enough for my own (and others!) Safety?

Also, what are peoples opinions on a Suzuki Address 110 for a 10km daily commute on local roads?

Lastly, should I buy the scooter first and then get lessons or do you generally get provided a bike and do your lessons first?

Much appreciated :-)

You can't have an A licence unless you got one 100 years ago. Re:MOTOR LEGISLATION
    In 1903, legislation made it compulsory for car drivers to hold a licence. Owners also had to register their car with the country council. The Motor Car Act, 1903 (UK legislation which would have been operative in Ireland) also introduced the crime of reckless driving and imposed penalties. The qualifying age to drive a motor car was 17 and 14 to drive a motor cycle. A driver didn’t have to do a test but they had to buy a license from the county council for 5 shillings. Also Driver Testing was introduced in Ireland for the first time on March 18th. 1964.

No. It's probably AM which was normal then though when passing the B test. <50cc AND restricted to <45km/h
    No I have AM as well as A. There are numbers in column 12 which might be significant.

Checked the wifes licence also issued in the 90's and she has nothing for A.

I've attached a pic..
    <snip>

• Advertisement

horse7 wrote: »
    You can't have an A licence unless you got one 100 years ago. Re:MOTOR LEGISLATION
    In 1903, legislation made it compulsory for car drivers to hold a licence. Owners also had to register their car with the country council. The Motor Car Act, 1903 (UK legislation which would have been operative in Ireland) also introduced the crime of reckless driving and imposed penalties. The qualifying age to drive a motor car was 17 and 14 to drive a motor cycle. A driver didn’t have to do a test but they had to buy a license from the county council for 5 shillings. Also Driver Testing was introduced in Ireland for the first time on March 18th. 1964.
    Ok makes perfect sense, cant see how I could have a motorbike licence having never driven one. But still curious why I have what appears to be A licence valid until 2029 but with some sort of code 79.03 beside it but no explanation as to what it means ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Ok makes perfect sense, cant see how I could have a motorbike licence having never driven one. But still curious why I have what appears to be A licence valid until 2029 but with some sort of code 79.03 beside it but no explanation as to what it means ??

79.03 means you are restricted to tricycles also called trikes, to remove that restriction and go to two wheels you need to start from scratch.

79.03 means you are restricted to tricycles also called trikes, to remove that restriction and go to two wheels you need to start from scratch.

Great, thanks for clarifying.

So the 110cc Suzuki Address needs an A licence?

Great, thanks for clarifying.

So the 110cc Suzuki Address needs an A licence?

Suzuki address would be an A1

Here is the link to all the categories and licence codes to help with any potential questions

https://www.ndls.ie/licence-categories.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 JCbiker

Nozebleed wrote: »
    I paid €440 for full A cat IBT. best price around from a guy based in thomas davis gaa club in Tallaght. he has an ad on done deal. nice guy in fairness.

Chaps name is David Stears. I used him today to complete a bikecare motorcycle skills assessment as I couldnt get insured on my bike without it. Very nice guy and a wealth of knowledge.
    I have a contact number and email address if anybody needs it.

JCbiker wrote: »
    Chaps name is David Stears. I used him today to complete a bikecare motorcycle skills assessment as I couldnt get insured on my bike without it. Very nice guy and a wealth of knowledge.
    I have a contact number and email address if anybody needs it.

Is that the assessment where you are graded between grade 1 & grade 4?

Is that the assessment where you are graded between grade 1 & grade 4?

Yes it is but its Grade 2 3 4 or not up to required standard.
    No grade 1 on the sheet.

Yes it is but its Grade 2 3 4 or not up to required standard.
    No grade 1 on the sheet.

Was your overall scoring a grade 2?

Was your overall scoring a grade 2?

Yes. Grading is as follows.

Grade 4 = minimum 14 points
    Grade 3 = 24 points or greater.
    Grade 2 = 38 points or greater.

I scored 40 out of a possible 42

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

But still curious why I have what appears to be A licence valid until 2029 but with some sort of code 79.03 beside it but no explanation as to what it means ??

Granddad rights because these are category A now (they used to be part of category B (B1)):

2414074813_f6c8199cc2_o.jpg
    Rialto 003 by macplaxton, on Flickr

It means those who passed their test before a certain date can carry on driving / riding trikes. Those who pass B after a certain date have to do a cat A before they can drive one (even though all the controls are quite different from a cat A)

macplaxton wrote: »
    Granddad rights because these are category A now (they used to be part of category B (B1)):

2414074813_f6c8199cc2_o.jpg
    Rialto 003 by macplaxton, on Flickr

It means those who passed their test before a certain date can carry on driving / riding trikes. Those who pass B after a certain date have to do a cat A before they can drive one (even though all the controls are quite different from a cat A)
    God i'd love a spin in one of those :D

Might be worth my while doing it as it is the only way i can get insurance on the bike i want at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭honda boi

Do these grades make a difference if you have a full licence or those it only benefit you if you have a prov licence?

honda boi wrote: »
    Do these grades make a difference if you have a full licence or those it only benefit you if you have a prov licence?

I've a full licence, soon to have 1 years ncb, AXA won't insure me on a ZZR1400 unless i have this course done and get a grade 2, that or else i have to have 2 years ncb, and i'm not exactly a young boy either

• Advertisement

I've a full licence, soon to have 1 years ncb, AXA won't insure me on a ZZR1400 unless i have this course done and get a grade 2, that or else i have to have 2 years ncb, and i'm not exactly a young boy either

Im on provisional and nobody would insure me on a zx6r without a grade 2. Axa originally quoted me but liberty were 400 cheaper so went with them. I drove bikes for years but never did the full test and then moved onto cars. Bike licence lapsed so i had to start over.

Bit ridiculous imho that insurers are insisting on additional testing for riders who already have a full A licence (and did IBT etc., didn't just get a free licence in 1979 or something)

Life ain't always empty.

Bit ridiculous imho that insurers are insisting on additional testing for riders who already have a full A licence (and did IBT etc., didn't just get a free licence in 1979 or something)

Did my IBT in July 2018, passed my test in January 2019 but this still isn't good enough for them, they said the system will not allow them to quote me for those particular bikes unless i have the assessment done to grade 2 standard or have 2 years no claims bonus. if i was a young boy even into my early 20's they might have an argument, i'm weighing up now am i better off waiting until next January to have the full licence 1 year in which case Principal insurance will insure me on any bike of my choice, the killer there is i will be half way into my second year, my policy is due for renewal in the next 3/4 weeks. The insurance industry in this country is more of a lottery than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Lets bear in mind these guys all have a long list of powerful bikes they could choose from and get insured on and have just 1 years NCB, they are looking to get insured on full sports bikes. In Deckards case a bike that was once the fastest production bike on the road, 200BHP and top speed of 300kmh. They're lucky to get any chance of riding them.

The point is they've passed the official test and are as fully licensed as anyone else.

NCB / experience can only be gained by time, not by passing yet another test.

If they don't think the full licence test is up to the job then they should be lobbying government to make it better, not introducing their own mickey mouse test system on top.

Just another example of the insurance industry making up rules to suit themselves.

Life ain't always empty.

zubair wrote: »
    Lets bear in mind these guys all have a long list of powerful bikes they could choose from and get insured on and have just 1 years NCB, they are looking to get insured on full sports bikes. In Deckards case a bike that was once the fastest production bike on the road, 200BHP and top speed of 300kmh. They're lucky to get any chance of riding them.
    I agree with you to a point, but what is the point in doing these tests if they won't allow one to insure a bike until doing the extra test or having 2 years ncb, that alone is nothing but money.
    The point is they've passed the official test and are as fully licensed as anyone else.

NCB / experience can only be gained by time, not by passing yet another test.

If they don't think the full licence test is up to the job then they should be lobbying government to make it better, not introducing their own mickey mouse test system on top.

Just another example of the insurance industry making up rules to suit themselves.

The insurance system in this country is a cartel, it's known for years, the government won't regulate the market as if they do and it drives down prices they will in turn lose vat on the sales of policies and the M.I.B.I also stand to lose money by lower premiums from insured drivers.

Does anyone recall M.I.J.A.G years ago? It was called the Motor Insurance Justice Action Group? I'd say we are heading that way again given the prices, profits are on the rise, i doubt the claims culture is as big an issue as they say, it's deflection tactics by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Same policy applies to powerful cars and young or inexperienced drivers. I don't have a problem with their stance on this given the vast amount of bikes available to riders that will go 135MPH rather than 180MPH. And they aren't saying they wont insure anyone or come back with a ludicrous figure, they asked riders to gain 2 years experience or do an advanced riders course.

zubair wrote: »
    Same policy applies to powerful cars and young or inexperienced drivers. I don't have a problem with their stance on this given the vast amount of bikes available to riders that will go 135MPH rather than 180MPH. And they aren't saying they wont insure anyone or come back with a ludicrous figure, they asked riders to gain 2 years experience or do an advanced riders course.

That advanced course is it similar to a driving test? Seems to be like an extended one

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

To be honest lads I'm grand and happy with my bike that goes 120km/h.

Baffled by people that want a bike that can do excess of 180km/h unless they're on a track a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

It's a racket all right. That's why I told AXA to jog on when they expected me to do some assessment in order to get insurance coming back after a break. Ditto Cornmarket and their insistence on 1yr NCD.

Advertisement