Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Mine was pretty much identical to that one. From my experiences with both I would have just bought the larger windscreen from the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭uchimata83

I've been reading through the thread and trying to figure out how I go about getting started. I have a full B license for over 10 years, completed theory test some time in 2006 but I've no idea where the cert is. My provisional was for A1 & B. I'm happy to start out on the A1 license and see how it goes from there. Have I the below correct?

1. Apply for theory test, once complete ->
    2. Apply for learner permit, once complete ->
    3. IBT modules 1-4, once complete + 6 months ->
    4. Apply for Full A1 license to be added to B license

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭legologic

Hi,

I'm 34 and decided to go straight to an A-category IBT and passed about 6 months ago. I bought a 50cc Honda Zoomer just to get used to the road but now I'm looking for a 600cc+ bike to drive, get used to, and do my test on. I have the scooter insured with Liberty and rang up today about getting a quote on an ER6n and an MT-07. I was told by the woman on the phone that I can't get insured on any bike over 250cc unless I've had a full license for 3+ years. I did explain that I can't do a test on 250cc and get an A-category license.

It quickly became a kafkaesque cyclical conversation where she said I can't get insured on a bike that size until I've had full license for 3 years, and me explaining I can't get a full license without getting insured on a bike that size. :confused::confused::confused:

Any suggestions for a company that will insure a learner on a bigger bike?

@uchimata83

Apply for Full A category license as opposed to A1. You're old enough so there is no point limiting yourself to A1 size bikes.

Even if you only want an A1 size bike I suggest you get the Full A - it covers all size of bikes.

@legologic

That sounds like porkies from the agent or there is other factors - she's basically inputting the information you're giving and the computer says no. Try find 600CC bikes on donedeal around 2004-2008 and get the reg number/Make model and see if they'll quote you on them. Bandit 650/CBF600 is a good starting point. Liberty have an online quote system you can use for bikes and it quoted me as a learner on a 2008 CBF600 - it wasn't cheap, but they did quote.

I'm insured with Carole Nash which was the cheapest. Principle did quote but was a fair bit higher.

You should be able to find an instructor who will loan you a full A category bike for your full test. Try the guy you did IBT with.

uchimata83 wrote: »
    I've been reading through the thread and trying to figure out how I go about getting started. I have a full B license for over 10 years, completed theory test some time in 2006 but I've no idea where the cert is. My provisional was for A1 & B. I'm happy to start out on the A1 license and see how it goes from there. Have I the below correct?

1. Apply for theory test, once complete ->
    2. Apply for learner permit, once complete ->
    3. IBT modules 1-4, once complete + 6 months ->
    4. Apply for Full A1 license to be added to B license

One small and odd observation is that you can do your test after 6 months of getting your learner permit, not completing your IBT. So if you don't get your IBT for 3 months you only have to wait 3 months to do your test. Obviously you do need your IBT to do the test though. That's how it was explained to me by the driving school anyway.

• Advertisement

@uchimata83
    That sounds like porkies from the agent or there is other factors - she's basically inputting the information you're giving and the computer says no. Try find 600CC bikes on donedeal around 2004-2008 and get the reg number/Make model and see if they'll quote you on them. Bandit 650/CBF600 is a good starting point. Liberty have an online quote system you can use for bikes and it quoted me as a learner on a 2008 CBF600 - it wasn't cheap, but they did quote.

I'm insured with Carole Nash which was the cheapest. Principle did quote but was a fair bit higher.

You should be able to find an instructor who will loan you a full A category bike for your full test. Try the guy you did IBT with.

Yeah it seemed like nonsense I was expecting the quote to be high but to be blanked outright was very frustrating. I'll try get reg's and put it through online. I've had no issues since getting the bike and have no previous insurance issues in the past so I don't know what other factors there could be. I could rent the bike from the IBT school but I wanted to get comfortable on my own bike before the test.

I'll give Carol Nash and Principle a try. Was hoping for a either of the two bikes above or a CB600 or XJ6. All in the 600-700cc range. The ER6 is even well known as a starter bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭uchimata83

@uchimata83

Apply for Full A category license as opposed to A1. You're old enough so there is no point limiting yourself to A1 size bikes.

Even if you only want an A1 size bike I suggest you get the Full A - it covers all size of bikes.

Thanks for this. Is the only difference that I would need to do module 5 of the IBT if I go for A, instea of A1?

Yep pretty much, you'll be doing 1,3,5 modules for the A.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

UrbanFret wrote: »
    I have this ordered to see if it's any help.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07T8LT2NC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Its coming from china too.

Came today and guess what? 2 parts missing. GRHHHH!!!!:mad:

IMG-20190822-215234.jpg

If you want Urban you can have mine. I'll be home in Clones the weekend after next.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32855282961.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.11034c4de15OIU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

If you want Urban you can have mine. I'll be home in Clones the weekend after next.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32855282961.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.11034c4de15OIU

Thanks very much for the offer.I'll let you know whats happening mate. I've sent the seller a message to see what he's going to do about it.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Came today and guess what? 2 parts missing. GRHHHH!!!!:mad:

IMG-20190822-215234.jpg

You'd think the seller would have copped, it's written on the box!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

Hi folks not sure is the best place to post this but, before anything I need to plan for security at my home in terms of where I leave the bike how I protect it and more so what's the best way to lock it up at night? My plan if it fits to park it around the back of the house. I was thinking of unearthing some concrete and getting a phat ass hoop cemented into the ground thats super solid so I can lock the bike to it. I was also looking at Biketrac. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If I was in your position and if I had the space I'd consider one of them "bike homes" if you don't have a dedicated shed. It may be practical enough to put one in around the back?

I like the thought that scumbags would have to come in and physically lift it up to see what security is in place on the actual bike.

Neighbour has one at the front of his house up here and it's handy not to have to arse about with a normal cover.

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikeextras-for-sale/motorbike-cover-shed/18025700

• Registered Users Posts: 35 JCbiker

legologic wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm 34 and decided to go straight to an A-category IBT and passed about 6 months ago. I bought a 50cc Honda Zoomer just to get used to the road but now I'm looking for a 600cc+ bike to drive, get used to, and do my test on. I have the scooter insured with Liberty and rang up today about getting a quote on an ER6n and an MT-07. I was told by the woman on the phone that I can't get insured on any bike over 250cc unless I've had a full license for 3+ years. I did explain that I can't do a test on 250cc and get an A-category license.

It quickly became a kafkaesque cyclical conversation where she said I can't get insured on a bike that size until I've had full license for 3 years, and me explaining I can't get a full license without getting insured on a bike that size. :confused::confused::confused:

Any suggestions for a company that will insure a learner on a bigger bike?

I was in a similar situation to you except for the fact that I bought the bike first. (Kawasaki zx6r 600cc)
    3 refusals to quote off principle, carole nash and Liberty so was ready to go down the ombundsman route when principle suggested I do the axa bike skills assessment. Said if i achieve a grade 2 that axa would quote me.
    Did assessment, got grade 2 and Axa and liberty both gave me quotes. Went with Liberty as the were 400 quid cheaper than axa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

JCbiker wrote: »
    I was in a similar situation to you except for the fact that I bought the bike first. (Kawasaki zx6r 600cc)
    3 refusals to quote off principle, carole nash and Liberty so was ready to go down the ombundsman route when principle suggested I do the axa bike skills assessment. Said if i achieve a grade 2 that axa would quote me.
    Did assessment, got grade 2 and Axa and liberty both gave me quotes. Went with Liberty as the were 400 quid cheaper than axa.

What did it cost in the end? I'm 30 & looking at doing the same

JCbiker wrote: »

Well except in this case the agents information is completely wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 fredr92

A minor gripe, but is yellow the only option for a learner vest? They only mention fluorescent yellow on citizensinformation.ie. I'd prefer white.

fredr92 wrote: »
    A minor gripe, but is yellow the only option for a learner vest? They only mention fluorescent yellow on citizensinformation.ie. I'd prefer white.

Just pin plates to a white vest. If you've got the plates and a vest on I don't see you getting any hassle over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭mick111112

Hi lads, just wondering about doing my cat A test on a 2008 sportster xl883l. The RSA website has the xl883l super low down as suitable for cat A test. I found some information on my bike that says it's 50.2 KW @ 4400 rpm which is the same as the super low. Which would make it suitable for cat A test. Also just wondering would I need to bring proof of KW power and where best to get that. Any advice or your own experiences with this would be great. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Grumpy Bike Wizard

mick111112 wrote: »
    Hi lads, just wondering about doing my cat A test on a 2008 sportster xl883l. The RSA website has the xl883l super low down as suitable for cat A test. I found some information on my bike that says it's 50.2 KW @ 4400 rpm which is the same as the super low. Which would make it suitable for cat A test. Also just wondering would I need to bring proof of KW power and where best to get that. Any advice or your own experiences with this would be great. Thanks.

Power should be listed in your log book, bring that to the test. I fit's not you'll need a cert from a dealer setting out the power of the bike.

Power should be listed in your log book, bring that to the test. I fit's not you'll need a cert from a dealer setting out the power of the bike.

Thanks for that, I will check it out.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 994 Mod ✭✭✭✭LookBehindYou

If its on the rsa list, it should be fine.
    Bring along the info :. I found some information on my bike that says it's 50.2 KW

There is confusion about what is needed for when going for a bike test.
    It was clarified with the RSA Driver testing section, that if the bike is on the rsa list, its suitable. The tester has no right to ask for anything extra providing you have the registration document for the bike.
    If there are problems, the tester should check with the Driver testing section in RSA.
    The only time there would be a need to show extra proof of KW output would be : if the bike is not on RSA list, or if the bike was being used for an A2 category.

If its on the rsa list, it should be fine.
    Bring along the info :. I found some information on my bike that says it's 50.2 KW

There is confusion about what is needed for when going for a bike test.
    It was clarified with the RSA Driver testing section, that if the bike is on the rsa list, its suitable. The tester has no right to ask for anything extra providing you have the registration document for the bike.
    If there are problems, the tester should check with the Driver testing section in RSA.
    The only time there would be a need to show extra proof of KW output would be : if the bike is not on RSA list, or if the bike was being used for an A2 category.

My bike is a 2008 xl883l, on the RSA list it says a xl883L superlow from my research the power output and engine are the same on both, I might run it by HD Waterford Saturday morning at their 15 th birthday. Thanks for the reply.

My bike is a 2008 xl883l, on the RSA list it says a xl883L superlow from my research the power output and engine are the same on both, I might run it by HD Waterford Saturday morning at their 15 th birthday. Thanks for the reply.

HD Waterford were very helpful and were able to tell us that my bike is only 25 kW and showed me where it's located on the frame. I will just have to cancel my test and hopefully be able to get school bike for the next test date. Thanks for all the replys and help on this issue. Michael.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Hurley6969

Has anyone done the full A test on a SV650? Looking at a 2013 non S version, my IBT instructor said it isn't usable but it's listed as ok on the RSA site. Bike meets the kWh and cc requirements but just not sure of the weight at 175 (assume that's a dry weight requirement).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Hurley6969 wrote: »
    Has anyone done the full A test on a SV650? Looking at a 2013 non S version, my IBT instructor said it isn't usable but it's listed as ok on the RSA site. Bike meets the kWh and cc requirements but just not sure of the weight at 175 (assume that's a dry weight requirement).

Maybe he meant the first gen pre 2002. Theyre below the kW needed :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Armaghmagic

Have my learner permit and waiting to do the IBT. I'm a 32 year old male living in Louth

Can anyone recommend a list of bikes I should look for that combine 60+mpg and a decent amount of power? Have a budget of €3,000ish for a used bus. Something that is easy to insure also

Also are all IBT courses similar or are there any you could recommend to try? Thanks, Conor

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

26 and just getting into biking. I'm just waiting for my learner permit in the post before booking my IBT, going for direct access into A. Here are a few things I've learned that may be useful to other learners:

1) The theory test is a doddle. There's an app for about €12 on the playstore. Just pay the money and mindlessly do tests over and over again on the bog, waiting for a bus, on a plane etc. Do it about 100 times or so and you'll ace it. It's not hard.

2) IBT prices are all over the place. I split my time between Dublin and Westmeath and I've seen everything from €400 to €700. I have no idea what's decent so I'm going with one of the guys who was really helpful on the phone when I asked about insurable bikes, he's around €600.

3) AXA basically don't want your business as a learner and Liberty won't quote you on anything reasonably powerful. Both of these companies have their own internal ratings systems for bikes. So I tried to get insured, hypothetically, on a CB650 and Liberty said something like it's a category 11 and wouldn't insure you until you've had your licence for three years. I was told that the two bikes that just about qualify as an A and are still insurable are the ER6-F (the naked isn't an A) and the SV650. Liberty gave me a quote of €1,500 on the latter and I've been given a quote for €1,000 with Principle. The trick is to stick to twin cylinder bikes, the CB650 is an inline four.

I think I'll probably just bite the bullet and go for one of those two. There are plenty of them in the €3-€4k bracket with decent mileage. I don't see the point in getting a smaller bike and then trying to step it up with a big one.

I would rather start with an A as a Sunday bike until I get used to it while still using my car primarily than getting an A2, using it everyday and then struggling to step it up for the test to an A.

• Advertisement

Good advice and planning but I think the cbf600 should be easy enough to insure and is a better bike for starting on. Carole Nash seem to favour older riders with their premiums. Consider going TPFT when just starting as you should buy a bike of a lesser value to start; excess is 400+ most of the time anyway and you can't protect your NCB until after 3 years.

Advertisement