Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

zubair wrote: »
    Good advice and planning but I think the cbf600 should be easy enough to insure and is a better bike for starting on. Carole Nash seem to favour older riders with their premiums. Consider going TPFT when just starting as you should buy a bike of a lesser value to start; excess is 400+ most of the time anyway and you can't protect your NCB until after 3 years.

I tried to get insured on the Hornet and the cheapest I could find was €1,600 from Principle. The CBF600 is basically the same engine so I can't imagine it would be much different.

Having said that, it IS a nicer bike and once I have my licence and IBT cert in my hand it'll be easier to get quotes. As opposed to making up dates etc.

Third Party is the only way to go for me. Comprehensive isn't worth a ****e as you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Ring Carole Nash and ask about the Hornet and CBF600 with them.

I love my CBF600, honestly couldn't ask anymore of a great starter bike. Getting 55mpg as well which is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 scsei

What sites are best for buying all the essential PPE gear? Or shops in Dublin, I work close to Cotters in Ballymount so I'll have to pay them a visit. This newbie would appreciate a point in the right direction!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Cotters are good but sportsbikeshop.co.uk is good for the range of gear and has probably got the lowest prices around. To be fair I have always found cotters fairly close in price but they don't have my preferred brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 alanman

How are you guys on provisional getting a quote online? It just keeps telling me to ring them to get a quote after I enter all details. I can get a quote of a 125 (around 1k) but i go higher and it tells me to F off hahaha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭enrique66_35

Unlike car insurance, it seems the bike insurers insist on a phone call and only Liberty have an online tool which usually tells you to ring anyway.
    Give each of them a ring (Carole Nash, Liberty, Principal - am I forgetting someone?) but set aside 10 or 15 minutes a call for them to gather all the info. I got a decent price of €549 for TPF&T off CN on a FZ 600 as a learner with no no claims but I'm 37. Your age may be a factor in why they won't quote on anything above a 125 as well.

Others have also had success haggling and price matching between the insurers, just have to be willing to put the time in!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jollyatballs

Looking to get myself started on a bike, have a full B licence. What do I need to do?

Theory test? A licence?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Looking to get myself started on a bike, have a full B licence. What do I need to do?

Theory test? A licence?

Thanks

Did you do your theory test prior to 2006? If not you need to start from scratch. Theory test l, learner permit, ibt etc

Did you do your theory test prior to 2006? If not you need to start from scratch. Theory test l, learner permit, ibt etc

Post 06 Trucker, so its just the same. Do the same rules apply in that I have to wait 6 months before getting the licence? And cant drive with the learner permit?

Post 06 Trucker, so its just the same. Do the same rules apply in that I have to wait 6 months before getting the licence? And cant drive with the learner permit?

You have to wait 6 months to do the test. Once you have the ibt done you can drive on by yourself. You need to do the theory test first though

• Advertisement

You have to wait 6 months to do the test. Once you have the ibt done you can drive on by yourself. You need to do the theory test first though

Perfect, thank you Trucker. Was reading here about the getting the app and seems to make sense given the phone in my hand the whole time. Have the cd but does be hardwork wanting to go back at it.

Will apply for the theory and get myself sorted. Looking at getting a commuter bike so not planning on going too wild. A is the right category?

Perfect, thank you Trucker. Was reading here about the getting the app and seems to make sense given the phone in my hand the whole time. Have the cd but does be hardwork wanting to go back at it.

Will apply for the theory and get myself sorted. Looking at getting a commuter bike so not planning on going too wild. A is the right category?

You're welcome :)

The app is a good i've been told, it wasn't around in my day. It is indeed category A :D Keep me updated on your progress. Also here is the link to Mick Finlay (LookBehindYou) who is also a Mod on the motorbikes forum here on boards, if you are in his catchment area he will look after you for IBT right through to your test.
    http://roadtraining.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Not all bikes which need a class A licence to ride can be used for the class A test. It needs to be over 595cc, 50kW power and 175kg. Renting a suitable bike for the test is a possibility.

https://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/The-Motorcycle-Test/Vehicle-requirements/

Depends what you mean by a commuter bike, but a lot of them would fall into A2 (and some A2 bikes can't be used for the A2 test, either!)

Life ain't always empty.

Not all bikes which need a class A licence to ride can be used for the class A test. It needs to be over 595cc, 50kW power and 175kg. Renting a suitable bike for the test is a possibility.

https://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/The-Motorcycle-Test/Vehicle-requirements/

Depends what you mean by a commuter bike, but a lot of them would fall into A2 (and some A2 bikes can't be used for the A2 test, either!)

MT07 would be a grand job, covers the test criteria and is grand for around the city as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Well, I am new too, kind of considering I am in fact 43. Anyway, I have done the IBT 2+ years ago and applied for a test [cat A] in April. A Murphy's law story followed but with any luck, I will have a test confirmed before the year is out. PS: I am in Kerry so no Corkman jokes.
    O yes and this is my first post on boards.

Dan.

Well, I am new too, kind of considering I am in fact 43. Anyway, I have done the IBT 2+ years ago and applied for a test [cat A] in April. A Murphy's law story followed but with any luck, I will have a test confirmed before the year is out. PS: I am in Kerry so no Corkman jokes.

When i was doing the lessons for my test there was a 69 year old Kerry woman doing her IBT in Curraheen in Cork, no joking. So male or female young or old it's never to late to get up on the saddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Acquiescence

Apologies if this has been asked a million times. I've flicked through thread with no answer. Is there a way to find out if I completed my theory test pre-2006 cut off. I can't actually remember when I did mine. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭enrique66_35

Apologies if this has been asked a million times. I've flicked through thread with no answer. Is there a way to find out if I completed my theory test pre-2006 cut off. I can't actually remember when I did mine. Thanks.

Best bet would be to contact the RSA directly or try the theory test crowd themselves (https://theorytest.ie/general-information/contact-us/) who are contracted by the RSA.

Just ring the NDLS, they'll tell you on the spot.

Thanks lads, turns out I did my theory test in '04.

I now wish I hadn't spent €12 on the theory test app.

• Advertisement

Welcome. Keep us posted on the test.

Lads, I've been looking on done deal for the past while and can't really make sense of bike prices for instance there's a 2007 Er6n for €3500 and a 2012 Er6f for €3750 10kkm less on the f.

That makes no sense to me?

I've also seen old ads for similar bikes on adverts from years back and the prices were about the same at the time for what was then a much newer bike.

Is there a lower level of depreciation that bikes hit and just stay there?

Appreciate the patience of anybody that responds! I'll probably/have have 9 million other idiot questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Lads, I've been looking on done deal for the past while and can't really make sense of bike prices for instance there's a 2007 Er6n for €3500 and a 2012 Er6f for €3750 10kkm less on the f.

I've also seen old ads for similar bikes on adverts from years back and the prices were about the same at the time for what was then a much newer bike.

Appreciate the patience of anybody that responds! I'll probably/have have 9 million other idiot questions.

I have been thinking about this myself for a while. Supply and demand is one thing but as far as I can see some bikes are in top nick and more not so good. Most sellers are now also matching bike shops for price.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Bikes depreciate less as they in general do less miles, there's a lower amount than say cars and a smaller market of users.

Now in regards to prices faired, naked, commuters, sports and cruisers all have different prices as they attract a different market.
    While the er6f and er6n are the same bike minis the fairings and styleisations they appeal to a different market. 6f to someone who wants a sportier looking bike 6n to someone who wants a naked commuter.

Now all that being said look at sports bikes you could have a 07 zx6r for €3000 and a 04 zx6r for €3000. It also depends how the owner values it, how motivated they are to sell it and really what it's worth to a potential buyer. A product is only worth what people are willing to pay for it.

Mjolnir wrote: »
    Bikes depreciate less as they in general do less miles, there's a lower amount than say cars and a smaller market of users.

Now in regards to prices faired, naked, commuters, sports and cruisers all have different prices as they attract a different market.
    While the er6f and er6n are the same bike minis the fairings and styleisations they appeal to a different market. 6f to someone who wants a sportier looking bike 6n to someone who wants a naked commuter.

Now all that being said look at sports bikes you could have a 07 zx6r for €3000 and a 04 zx6r for €3000. It also depends how the owner values it, how motivated they are to sell it and really what it's worth to a potential buyer. A product is only worth what people are willing to pay for it.

.. And some people are dreamers

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

zubair wrote: »
    .. And some people are dreamers

Ain't that the truth some people have no idea what the market value of their bike is, there's cbr 600f4i's going for more than a 600rr which has a far better fuel injection system.
    Same with cruisers sorry bud but your 98 vn1500 ain't worth close to a Harley road king and never will be

Just ring the NDLS, they'll tell you on the spot.

Permits on the way. I am very excite.

Permits on the way. I am very excite.

Fair play :) Have you arranged IBT?

Fair play :) Have you arranged IBT?

Not yet going to ring around shortly.

I've been recommended Brendan Power in Tipp and Declan in Cork. I'm based in the Limerick area but willing to travel for the right instructor if anybody has a recommendation.

• Advertisement

Not yet going to ring around shortly.

I've been recommended Brendan Power in Tipp and Declan in Cork. I'm based in the Limerick area but willing to travel for the right instructor if anybody has a recommendation.

Declan is the main man around Cork, charges €500 for the IBT and covers the test route in Cork extensively as part of that.

His website is here
    http://twowheeltraining.ie/

Declan Recommends Brendan Power, it's on his website.
    For motorcyclists requiring training in the North Cork/Tipperary area, we highly recommend Brendan Power of www.biketraining.ie.

Advertisement