Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today's bargain watch that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

noice lot there....

I must admit to a little drooling over the Doxa automatic...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Reminds me of this

$_57.JPG

I used to have a suit the colour of the strap....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

Very true Wibbs. I'll keep an eye on it and see how it pans out. Bad idea me coming on to this thread the day before pay day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

I was going to get one of these, but they're becoming too common now:

image.jpg

Cork jeweller Keanes has sold a rare watch for the staggering sum of €349,000.

The Patek Philippe Grand Complication Celestial watch, known as “The Celestial” for short, was sold to an Irish customer.

The watch is made from solid 18ct white gold and set with more than 5.5ct of diamonds. It has a sapphire-crystal case back and took 18 months to make.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/cork-jeweller-keanes-sells-rare-watch-for-349-000-1.2155702

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Pottering

Hi All,

I’m new around here and have to say this is a great thread. Some of the recent posts from Wibbs have got me looking at a much broader range of watches than previously and I’m really sorry to have missed out on that Yema Skin Diver.

As I’m new I can’t post links, but there is a stainless steel Omega Genve on ebay with the item number 291415166530 that might be worth a look. Just over 7 hours left and current bid of about EUR140. Dial, case, hands and movement look ok to me and I would bid, but I am now on the lookout for a Yema Skin Diver!

Pottering

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Aye that Omega looks pretty good alright. I can see it getting a flurry of ending bids though. Lots of bids and bidders usually means that's what happens.

As for the Yema SD you're after Pottering, the case and overall design sometimes comes with a different name on the dial. LeJour Skindivers are identical to the Yema for one example(LeJour was often their export name).

Here's a current auction for an example, in this case highly unusually with no name on the dial at all. Automatic, all stainless steel "waterproof" so 60's/early 70's at most, 37mm, bezel a bit scratched but that's a common issue with them

$_12.JPG

79 quid, no bidders, a day and a half to go. Those with Yema in their saved searches are gonna miss that one.

Here's the sort of thing to avoid. Also a Yema Skindiver, but later. The description of "stardust" dial is real dealer speak. :pac:. Translation into normal? "it leaked, water got in and buggered the dial". Yet it's at 80 quid with 14 bids and a few days to go? Fools and their money…

As a bit of backstory, Yema could be had for near nothing ten years ago. The brand wasn't particularly rated by collectors, even French collectors. They had a lot of cheapo "fashion" watches in their range down the years. LIP was higher in the pecking order. Even Superman and Skindiver models could be had for buttons. Their swiss engined chronographs usually held strong though. Then for some reason they took off, especially the Superman. Well it was basically the French answer to the Rolex Sub and very nicely made, early ones even had Swiss movements. Even today with the much higher prices the Superman and Skindiver are still good value IMH

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

How about yet another Zenith. This time a bruiser from circa 1976/76 with its original bracelet.

$_12.JPG

40mm case and very distinctive looking. The quartz movement in this is one of the very toughest of the early quartz. Damn near bulletproof. Bit of TLC to the case and strap and you'd have a pretty unusual Zenith on your wrist. And the price for such a watch? 179 quid Buy it now. That wouldn't buy a buckle for a new one, and how often do you reckon you'll bump into another with this watch?

Oh yea and the more eagle eyed and prurient among ye will see that one day of the week it says Sex on the dial. I mean c'mon folks, what's not to love about that? :D Feck why am I potless!! Arrrrgh. :mad::(:P

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Pottering wrote: »
    Hi All,

I’m new around here and have to say this is a great thread. Some of the recent posts from Wibbs have got me looking at a much broader range of watches than previously and I’m really sorry to have missed out on that Yema Skin Diver.

As I’m new I can’t post links, but there is a stainless steel Omega Genve on ebay with the item number 291415166530 that might be worth a look. Just over 7 hours left and current bid of about EUR140. Dial, case, hands and movement look ok to me and I would bid, but I am now on the lookout for a Yema Skin Diver!

Pottering
    Might be a mix and match. The Case Number when popped in here (replace the . with *) says 1962 and that it's gold plated. But the movement serial number is from later according to this list suggests around 1970'ish.
    Of course my detectoring could be miles off. :o

Daemonic wrote: »
    Might be a mix and match.

I initially thought the same, but the stainless steel version does not appear in the database at all. This is not particularly unusal, I have owned a couple of omegas with case numbers that do not.
    Looking around I came accross versions with serial numbers that would suggest a range of different years. Not being able to post links makes it difficult, but there was a 131.019 discussed on omegaforums.net with a 30 mil serial that I believe was legitimate as an example.

The different years for the GP case number and the movement serial it does raise the possibility it is a mix and match, but I am not sure it is the case. If it stays around the current price, I think it is a bargain, however as Wibbs pointed out the price could go higher near the end.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Those with Yema in their saved searches are gonna miss that one.

That would be me. Thanks for pointing that out (saved searches updated) and for the backstory.

The dial on that no name example makes me a little cautious (particularly as these watches are new to me), it looks like it could have been redone.

• Advertisement

Near NOS Aquastar Regatta yacht timer/chrono

$_12.JPG

These yacht timers from any marque tend to go for strong prices. This one is a lovely bit of kit and with a day to go it sits at 200 and one bid. However, be aware it has an odd bracelet/strap lug attachment going on and getting something to fit could be a nightmare. Still if you were willing to risk it, at say sub 300? I reckon that's a sleeper that could fetch a lot more down the line.

Pottering wrote: »
    The dial on that no name example makes me a little cautious (particularly as these watches are new to me), it looks like it could have been redone.
    Could well be P. Though strange they didn't add a name to up the price. A Yema on the dial could double it. But yep it's dubious enough to avoid unless you just wanted a hacker daily driver with some vintage feel.

Another trick P is to go to the source ebay.fr. They will have more skindivers and in the past I've yet to have a French seller tell me to feck off if I messaged them asking if they'd post to Ireland.

OK folks, did a bit more digging on the above. Turns out it's from 1981. Uses the same Lemania calibre that Heuer and Omega also used at the time for their yacht timers. How much would one of them set you back? If you could find one.

It also turns out that adapting a strap to fit isn't such a nightmare. Here's a for sale post on another forum where someone did just that. Oh and BTW, check out the price it sold at. 750 squids. Two years back.

Currently one bid 200 quid, 5 hours to go. That in my humble is a fecking steal. If you get it for under 300-350 you're still robbing it. The cheapest I could find one go for anywhere was 450 and that was some years back and it was in ropey condition. If funds allowed I would be all over that. I really would.

*EDIT* In the end it closed at 368. Still low IMH. The buyer got a good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭amacca

Ive been following recent posts in this thread with great interest!

Very interesting stuff being posted, long may it continue and thank you Wibbs.

I am interested in getting myself a nice tuning fork movement diver (I like the look of the one you posted a while back and the fact they might be a little more resilient) whenever funds permit, not much disposable floating around at the moment unfortunately. I also think you posted a lovely looking omega (tuning fork I think) with a cone shaped case a while back I liked - except for the crown looking a bit dwarfed imo.

With regards to the aqua star above, is there a small bit of corrosion on the case near the crystal near the 20 second marker on the inner bezel? If it is corrosion, is that an easy fix?

amacca wrote: »
    With regards to the aqua star above, is there a small bit of corrosion on the case near the crystal near the 20 second marker on the inner bezel? If it is corrosion, is that an easy fix?
    Well it is a vintage watch so generally speaking you'll have some wear/age/patina going on. It depends on the degree of it and personal feelings on that kinda thing. In that case I reckon it was well under the threshold of bad. Fixable? Maybe, but I would have left well along myself. In the end it went for just short of 160. IMHO that's a bargain. A vintage mechanical diver with funky inner rotating crown for the price of a mid to high range Argos special.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for a tuning fork for you A. The Omega ones seem to have taken a slight drop in prices of late, so might be the time to buy. I think they've dropped because people have maybe realised they're not that rare. They're by far the most common marque that used that movement. On the other hand prices for the Longines using the same movement have really shot up. Well over double of what they were even a year ago. Again I reckon because folks have spotted that they are much less common to see. Ditto for the Tissot and others.

The cone shape Omega you mentioned, they have kept their value. They're rarer and seem to be sought after.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

The Aquastar yachting watch went crazy in the last 1 minute. I loved the look but didn't bid in the end. Actually Wibbs, a few hidden gems you have posted here have done so. I wonder if they're boardsies becoming magpies?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

fmul9798 wrote: »
    The Aquastar yachting watch went crazy in the last 1 minute. I loved the look but didn't bid in the end. Actually Wibbs, a few hidden gems you have posted here have done so. I wonder if they're boardsies becoming magpies?

The zenith pilot went for €176 which I'm guessing is good price. I had a low bid in but the engraved 'zenith' on the clasp and integrated bracelet may have put some off. Keep them coming though Wibbs. Even if, like you I have nothing in the pot at the moment those posts are really educational.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Agreed, I love the history and witty comments Wibbs! Very much appreciated
    The zenith pilot went for €176 which I'm guessing is good price. I had a low bid in but the engraved 'zenith' on the clasp and integrated bracelet may have put some off. Keep them coming though Wibbs. Even if, like you I have nothing in the pot at the moment those posts are really educational.

fmul9798 wrote: »
    :) Maybe F. That's the usual for that sort of thing, unless the photos and/or descriptions are truly bad and it's not spotted at all. Hopeful buyers thinking, hoping nobody else has spotted it don't bid, some don't even add it to their watch list in case it flags it as a bargain, then last minute their snipe bid goes in, hence the flurry of bids in the last 20 seconds. In this bargain hunter game you do need to snipe IMH.

As for bad listings? Here are two recent examples of the listings where I got very lucky. First up that GP with the very rare dial. This was the only photo.
    2v2ffc0.jpg
    The description was in Spanish, which will put off many in the Anglophone world(some, especially Americans, won't even entertain buying from southern Europe). Add in an awful pic and I think there were 3 bidders in the end and I snagged it for around 220 quid.

My Longines Ultraquartz? The title was Lomgines turning fork. And this was the best pic, with no zoom.
    2pzclqr.jpg
    Again very few bids and I got it for not much more than the GP. A month later a busted one went for over 600 euro.

A year back I got a working GP quartz for 46 quid because the listing had it as a "Gerard Peregaux"

You do need to be an obsessive insomniac lucky barsteward to spot those ones though. It also helps being shortsighted. No really. As a kid I didn't get spotted for a Mr Magoo until I was nearly ten so purely as a survival adaptation I can see patterns in blur and sharpen them better than any Hollywood CSI software. :D
    The zenith pilot went for €176 which I'm guessing is good price.
    Well the way I look at it MrEd is for the same price as this very basic Bulova quartz from Argos you're getting a vintage Zenith. When new that would have not been cheap, even before the mad post 90's price hikes. For what the Aquastar chrono went for you'd get this. Now nothing wrong with either of those new watches, but when you see what can be had with a little bit of digging in the vintage market… And that's before we look at the prices some pay for the high "quality" fakes out there.

By nature I'm somewhat of an iconoclast, so I don't have movement snobbery so much. That opens up a lot of bargains even among the big names. The usual collectors ignore anything with a battery, because apparently ETA use magic elves to infuse souls into their mass produced tickers… When you see very rough and ready pin pallet Sicura's, the cheap casios of their day regularly going for twice the price of Girard Perregaux/Longines/Omega/Zenith with batteries it's hard not to smell the BS IMH. That said I do think people are beginning to smell it in wider watch collecting circles. Prices are definitely climbing. Even so a [pick a big name] watch with a mechanical movement will be usually at least twice the price of pretty much the same watch with a battery and usually more.

OK this one ain't in the bargain bin by any measure, but with the recent Basel introduction of the Longines heritage 1967 diver with a RRP starting at 3000 quid, how about an original from circa 1970?

$_12.JPG

OK he's looking 2,500 BIN, but that's still half a grand off a new one. They sometimes come up even cheaper than that, sub 2 grand(ye may recall the NOS non chrono 60's diver a few pages back that went for under 500 quid). That one is in good nick avec its original bracelet, though sadly some cross-eyed windowlicker masquerading as a watchmaker has used liquid gasket instead of a rubber one. Arrgh.:mad::rolleyes: That's very common in Europe and a it's a right pain in the unmentionables.

OK I lost the run of myself on the cost front. Normal service will be resumed…

*EDIT* that 1940's chronograph I posted a page back sold for only 323 quid in the end. That was a nice catch for someone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,770 ✭✭✭893bet

Black bay for 1300gbp on TZ. If it weren't for the exchange rate!

16781332489_888ca81a5f_b.jpg

Normal service will be resumed…
    Granted I did say this and I figure get in with a self dig before you motley crew of reprobates do it for me. Plus I'm pretending to work, trying to avoid relies I don't like that have descended locust like on my casa.

This is something I really never expected to see on the Bay. It's the British answer to the original Panerais of the Italian navy. The Longings H.S. divers watch.

$_12.JPG

nigh on 45 grand in Euros of the realm. Mad I hear you holler? Why yes, yes I am, but that's enough about me, the watch is a true rarity and about the rarest "Longines" there is. Like 6 known to exist out of 100 made. So many would have ended up going down with the monumentally brave men that wore them. The case is an interesting one. It was based on the long British tradition from the 19th century of waterproofing explorers pocket watches, with added lugs. All handmade in silver by one silversmith whose name sadly escapes.

Though it looks like and is a mad price for all but a minority, consider this; what do original WW2 Italian navy Panerais go for? Half a mil? More? Issued Rolex Milsubs are 150,000 quid and up. This watch makes a vintage Panny look commonplace and a Milsub look like something you'd find in the good end of a christmas cracker.

It wears surprisingly small on the chaps wrist in one of the shots. I had the impression these were more like B-Uhr observer watches in size 55mm plus and thus unwearable(he also has one of those, an IWC one too). It seems not. Either that or the chap in question is built like the Hulk when he's very very angry. In which case trying to take the watch from him before paying up would be a Very Bad Idea(™)

*EDIT* he's also wearing the IWC B-Uhr and doesn't look like an eejit doing so. So yep, do not spill this guys pint whatever you do.

First up and with under a day to go an automatic Girard Perregaux.

$_12.JPG

Pretty funky looking IMHO and in fantastic condition. With a nice strap on that.. As I said under 24 hours to go, 2 bids and 3 euro so far. Hammer price? *checks crystal ball* I'd reckon a snipe of around 150-180 should secure it. 250 would be a shoe in. For an auto Girard Perregaux? Hell yea.

Next up for the armchair paratroopers and Saving Private Ryan fans, here's a WW2 Bulova "military" watch. I put military in parenthesis because I can't read the caseback to see if it's an issued piece so, military style anyway .
    $_12.JPG

The pics appear to have been taken by an Australian. In a cupboard.
    1180141.jpg
    So turn your tablet or laptop upside down to view. If you have a desktop stand on your head. Go on, nobody's looking.

4 days to go, 2 bids 2 quid. Hammer time? I'd reckon again 150-200 likely less if nobody's that bothered considering the pics.

For Potterer and his Skin diver quest, there is this example.
    $_12.JPG

Much more like early 1970's than 50's IMH and a high starting price of 200 quid with nearly 10 days to go. Hmmm, these can be a difficult one. The high opener can work for you as it puts off many, so often you don't have nearly as much competition compared to 1 quid no reserve openers. Human nature and all. I'd reckon… 250-280? Likely less.

A it couldn't be more 1970's Longines Conquest

$_12.JPG

190 quid BIN. It's been up a few times this one and he has dropped the price by about 50 quid IIRC. Maybe wait on this. If he was asking for offers I'd throw 150 at him and hope it stuck.

Last but not least, here's a Lanco 60's divers in a Super Compressor case with the internal rotating bezel and double crowns. Not big at 30mm, but I think it's got a gorgeous vintage patina to the whole affair.

$_12.JPG

The size will likely put folks off, though I think it would make for a bloody lovely women's vintage diver. 237 quid BIN or make offer. Maybe 210?

tumblr_static_98zpftq3064g4sckg08cgosoc.gif

The Gold Seamaster in the Flightmaster case went for a measly €434. If only I had the funds.

Interestingly, I couldn't find it's reference 166.000 in the Omega Archives.

The Gold Seamaster in the Flightmaster case went for a measly €434. If only I had the funds.
    I reckoned 4-500, even with the Omega "halo". A steal if you're into Omegas, never mind it came with box, hang tags and original guarantee. What this actually tells me and has told me for a long time now; dealer prices are way off. As are many BIN prices, as are many forum sales prices, as are many enthusiast perceived values. When many models you would expect to be worth X amount go to open auction it's a near given they'll go for much less than X, sometimes significantly so. Of course some do go for much more than you might expect. Even outside of two well heeled bidders have a bidding frenzy.
    Interestingly, I couldn't find it's reference 166.000 in the Omega Archives
    Thanks to my Blurrovision(™) the reference is actually 166.090 and if you feed that into the google blender you'll get the info on the model Mr E. 71-76, came in stainless or 40 micron gold plated like our boyo, Omega 1002 engine(same as PloProf and others).

I reckoned 4-500, even with the Omega "halo". A steal if you're into Omegas, never mind it came with box, hang tags and original guarantee. What this actually tells me and has told me for a long time now; dealer prices are way off. As are many BIN prices, as are many forum sales prices, as are many enthusiast perceived values. When many models you would expect to be worth X amount go to open auction it's a near given they'll go for much less than X, sometimes significantly so. Of course some do go for much more than you might expect. Even outside of two well heeled bidders have a bidding frenzy.

Thanks to my Blurrovision(™) the reference is actually 166.090 and if you feed that into the google blender you'll get the info on the model Mr E. 71-76, came in stainless or 40 micron gold plated like our boyo, Omega 1002 engine(same as PloProf and others).

A real bargain.

Aye, Mr E and why I tend to snigger when I read that ebay is all clapped out of good buys, or that the vintage market is dooooooomed. It so depends on what you're looking for. That perception is very strong though. When I pointed out on a WUS thread that you could build a collection of very nice pieces, even some very rare examples from the big names in both mechanical and quartz for between 2-300 quid each the incredulity and mocking came very fast. Good I say. If they've bought into drinking some of the online bloggist and industry Kool aid, that leaves them out of the market. More for some of us :)

Oh and for the USSR fanciers… Here's one I'll admit I was actually thinking of for myself, :o but then remembered to check my pockets and the moths flew out… *sad face*

A Raketa Amphibia. These come up all too rarely. The quartz version is common enough, the Vostoks are two a penny(sometimes literally), but not this one.

$_12.JPG

This is a solid old lump and they usually sell for 300 odd as they are sought after by Soviet watch folks. I'd punt 2-250 at that one.

Oh and the same seller, it seems a fan him/herself also has this very rare to see for sale early Vostok amphibia. The first series, with wire lugs. Oh and more, it's the 300 metre depth rating version, which is of a magnitude more rare to see.

$_12.JPG

These are like unicorn poo. I really don't know how high that one might go. I reckon it could hit the 400 mark or at least 3 anyway, but that one could go to mad money pricing(for a Soviet watch anyway) as it would be a major grail for such collectors. What might put off some is the state of the hands, but a watchmaker could sort and stabilise them PDQ and replacements would be easy enough to source. They've some other nice Soviet era watches too, all no reserve low starting prices. IE a good and sensible seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Bloody hell, no idea his source but that seller has about half a dozen watches which would be grail watches for many Soviet/Russian watch collectors. 2 of them were already in my watch list just to see how high they'll go because I know they'll be way beyond my price range :D:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

I'm tempted by this

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?328966-FS-Longines-Legend-Diver-Date

I don't really need another watch, but always liked the styling on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

I'm tempted by this
    Never mind the watch - you probably can't afford the postage. The box that comes with these is huge.

Advertisement