Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today's bargain watch that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Cheers! I had it for sale but thankfully no one bought it.
    Good. /post. :) Seriously though TH, that fecker is a keeper. Take a loupe to it and look very very closely at the movement and in teeny tiny letters you will see the word "keeper" somewhere in it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

893bet wrote: »
    Now there is an idear!
    Hmmm, it is overdue in fairness and we had some pretty cool ones before. Let's ruminate on that.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Only slightly :D Now where is that bargepole...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Wibbs wrote: »
    Hmmm, it is overdue in fairness and we had some pretty cool ones before. Let's ruminate on that.

wait until i buy something..otherwise I will just show you all my Suunto Core

:(

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Only slightly :D Now where is that bargepole...
    Maybe it's stuck in that hamilton that somebody paid £128 for.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

wait until i buy something..otherwise I will just show you all my Suunto Core

:(
    Denzel Washington wears a Suunto Core. Nuf said. For me Suuntos are like the coolest and most lusted after all singing all dancing Casio digital of my youth multiplied by a gazillion, with a side order of real heft and quality. Sadly on my wrists they look like I'm wearing one of these 60mm yokes…

2d1nw2s.jpg

Though it does have the compass feature like the Suunto… I am so surrounded by mountains of crap I actually forgot I had this. :o
    blue5000 wrote: »
    Maybe it's stuck in that hamilton that somebody paid £128 for.
    Mad. That's why the fakers fake. Enough people will bid to make it worth their while. Joke is the real issued watches were produced in many tens of thousands. They come up often enough(on US ebay) and there must be hordes of them stuck in the backs of drawers all over the States and I suspect the supply wave of them hasn't close to peaked yet. They're about as rare as sparrows really. Even when I was more into the military stuff(when everything was a lot cheaper) I wasn't particularly interested in those kind of issued watches. IMH their "values" are well overblown, then and now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

It should be compulsory that everyone turn up wearing one of your gems off the bay.

Happy Easter one and all. May your beer and choccie egg hangovers be mild. A couple of Easter bunny pop picks to follow…

Omega MegaQuartz Constellation.
    $_12.JPG

Apparently there's an issue with the day wheel not advancing. I've had that with one of these movements myself. IIRC it was something minor, but still something to be aware of. If anything it may keep the fans away which might be to your advantage. 200 quid, 12 hours to go, no bidders.

Another battery job, this time a hummer tuning fork in the shape of a Bulova Accutron.
    $_12.JPG

Funky watch, bit of a brasso job on the crystal and that would be a nice watch. The second hands on these is soooo smooth. 40 quid a few bids, a day and a bit to go. 150-180? I'd not go beyond that TBH.

Yet another 30/40s Chronograph.
    $_12.JPG

Now it WILL need work/a service, so not a watch for the newbie, or someone who just wants to strap it on and go, but it would be a nice watch in the end. A day and a bit to go, 130 quid. It'll have some interest so it's a guess as to the final score. Maybe 250-300?

Leonidas calendar Moonphase 1950s?
    $_12.JPG

Again one NOT for the newb. The seller notes it runs but then stops after a while. It's gonna need a service, maybe parts. It would be a gamble, but if it runs at all chances are it shouldn't be an expensive one(and the movement is common enough). This gamble may put off higher bidders. Though it has a fair bit of interest. 120 quid, a day and a bit to go. I'd not punt more than 250 at it, because you're going to need another 100-200 to sort it I reckon.

Here's one that should be tip top and ready to wear. Omega f300 Tuning fork
    $_12.JPG

These are pretty bulletproof and this one is in steel, so more fashionable than the gold ones at this price range. A large watch too. Over 2 days to go, 100 quid. My limit would be 250-300. Nice watch though.

Late 60's/early 70's all steel 20 ATM Diver with a high beat ETA auto calibre with hacking function?
    $_12.JPG

Nope I never heard of Rhodos either, but there were a lot of these small Swiss houses knocking around at the time that were killed off by quartz, some cheaparse, some nice quality, this is defo of the latter. If that had Phillip Watch or Squale(both used this movement or a non hacking variant) on the dial start adding the zeros. A day and half to go, under 20 quid as we speak. If you got that for under 200 quid it would be a very nice watch for the cash IMH.

Speaking of quartz. Here's a watch that was incredibly expensive at the time. The Pulsar LED. The first ones were the price of a decent family car. Yep. This one is in fantastic, nigh on NOS condition with box and papers. Original circuit and dot style LEDs.
    $_12.JPG

Oddly enough the LED collector boyos while a truly tiny segment of the hobby/madness, are keen feckers and prices are always strong. Have been since I can remember. IE what you'd pay for one of these in 2005, would be pretty much what you'd pay for one now. Seems to be an unusually stable market in vintage. This one could go nuts in the two days to go. I'd not be shocked to see it hit 600 quid, but it might not. Snipe at 300 and offer up a burnt offering sacrifice to St Jude? But if something like this does appeal, you'd look hard to find a nicer example.

PS as I said earlier, if one of ye has an interest in any of these, PM me and I'll nuke the link.
    happy-easter_1614.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 21,243 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The quartz IWC that Wibbs posted earlier is at a shade under 200 euro with a couple of hours left to run. I had a snipe good to go, but deleted it as it's just not something I would wear, being a scruffy IT person who rarely has to dress proper.

261825757537_1.jpg

I presume there will be a flurry of bids, but it could end up being a real bargain for someone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

Eoin wrote: »
    The quartz IWC that Wibbs posted earlier is at a shade under 200 euro with a couple of hours left to run. I had a snipe good to go, but deleted it as it's just not something I would wear, being a scruffy IT person who rarely has to dress proper.

I presume there will be a flurry of bids, but it could end up being a real bargain for someone?

Tempted but I promised myself I wouldn't buy anything 'till my current studies are completed.

Unless it happens to be a gold seamaster in a flight master case . Argh

I'd reckon 450-500 in the end, but all it takes is one or two snipers with the horn for the three letters. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

I'd reckon 450-500 in the end, but all it takes is one or two snipers with the horn for the three letters. :)

Poetic :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭Homer

Went for a good bit less than you predicted W ;)

Ended at 342 euro. Lower than I thought. Not too shabby for a dress IWC. Ahh the beauty of quartz and the collectors who hate em. :)This Tutima I posted at the same time went for just under a grand. Normal price for those is 1200 and the rest. Again not too shabby and it shows that open auctions give you a sense of the "real" price of a watch model. Or at least the price you can expect if you want to sell it quickly. Though that was a very good price for one of them chappies.

Though as an illustration of the Rolex madness bubble, the Tudor I posted as predicted is going at silly bids. 540 with over ten minutes to go. 650 wouldn't be too far fetched at hammer time. Stupid money for what is a small and very boring hand wind, but the R word and Oyster gets them revving their engines. Like people paying hundreds for cheap pin pallet Sicuras because they reckon there's a Breitling connection. Man the last time I bought a Tudor oyster was in 2005. Got it as a hack watch for an ex. A 1940s one, larger than that for 160 quid(EDIT, sorry it cost me 120 now that I think more on it).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭Homer

I'll post some pics when the IWC arrives :p
    P.S. My wife hates you :D

SWEET!!! Yay! Success. :D

Nice catch H. You won't be disappointed.

1232_sm.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Pottering

That IWC looks very nice.

Picked up the XL Tronic from the same post. It will be only my second hummer.

Thanks Wibbs.

Yay part deux! 0/ :):) I was watching that one. Just one bid. And it was you. Sweeeeeeet. IMH that is a damned nice watch and you can be almost certain you'll rarely see another and never meet one in the flesh. The textured dial alone was worth the price of admission. Plus those ESA hummers are the king of all hummers. A major step up in quality from the original Bulova(and don't suffer the positional variance of the Accutrons). They can be fettled to be scarily accurate. Omega put most of theirs up for COSC chronometer ratings. A total non risk on their part. You'd nearly need to drive a self tapper screw through the dial to make them fail. My Longines one is as close to quartz accuracy as makes no diff(I had another Longines and Omega the same). Decent quartz accuracy too.

Their major weakness is the date wheel. Made of plastic they go brittle through the years, and the teeth wear because people try changing the date a few hours either side of midnight. No worries nowadays as you can get metal date wheels. The coils sometimes fail, but again few enough worries as there were so many movements produced so spares are not really an issue. They're bloody robust too. My Longines wasn't serviced from 1972 until 2012. Just got battery changes. And it was the daily wearer throughout in all environments on the wrist of a very physically active bloke. When you consider the 1960's tech involved and the size of the index wheel in these, IMHO they are one of the true high points of personal timekeeping in history. They're also the only watch mechanism I can think of where the oscillator directly drives the hands/display. And as a bonus the smooth seconds hand motion makes the finest Patek look drunk. :)

Not too bad for the price(or less) than a new OEM Zenith strap. Vintage, you know it makes sense. :)

Again, I want to stress that if anyone sees a watch that may come up in this thread as a current auction(posted by me or another weirdo), please call "shotgun" on the one you're interested in and I'll nuke the fcuka from orbit. We don't need to be competing agin each other. We'll just keep it between ourselves as it were… >-> <-< :)

Oh you buggers are lucky I'm financially embarrassed at the moment. :) But on the bright side I get to live vicariously through you. Now "I" have an IWC and Zenith. Not too bad. Though Homer's wife may be an issue. If I suddenly stop posting, well you know where to point the f…. arrrrrgggghhhh…. :D

• Advertisement

Their major weakness is the date wheel. Made of plastic they go brittle through the years, and the teeth wear because people try changing the date a few hours either side of midnight. No worries nowadays as you can get metal date wheels. The coils sometimes fail, but again few enough worries as there were so many movements produced so spares are not really an issue.

I hadn't realised that these were so serviceable. Does this mean that one's like yesterday's longines with a broken day wheel are ultimately fixable? Really liked it but the day wheel put me off. I really like those big 70's gold watch cases :)

Yep they're serviceable alright and for significantly less than new watch service charges. This chap in Electric Watches UK has the metal day/date wheels. and gives fantastic service. If you're on the TZ UK forum this chap Keith is another I'd highly recommend.

OK since it's a bank holiday, here's three I've found. Now these aren't likely to go for very little money, more mid range on the "bargain" front, but I thought I'd fire them up for your perusal.

Vintage column wheel chronographs.

First up is this Tavannes
    $_12.JPG

Oh and that comes with a one year guarantee and recent service. Don't see that too often. Two and half days to go. 170 euro so far. I'd reckon around 400 quid would have that on the wrist.

Here's a Minerva.
    $_12.JPG

As is usually the case, y can forget the "military" stuff. It's about as military as a tutu. However it is a nice bit of kit. Again apparently comes with a service and the regulator is sitting in the middle so a generally good sign. It's a little dirtier than the Tavannes and no pic of the caseback, which may be ropey. Still… Again 400 or less should snag it. Though the military description may bring the naive.

From the same dude we have this more 70's Eterna chrono. I dunno how "rare" it is, but it's a nice looking watch IMH.
    $_12.JPG

Looks nice and clean. The crown looks like a replacement, but no doubt an Eterna crown will pop up on the Bay regularly enough. Again 400, maybe 300, or less should get it.

My pricing crystal ball may be on the blink though, we'll see. :) For me the Tavannes would be the one. I think that's a real beauty with lovely patina.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭OldRio

Hi, mainly a lurker here and really enjoying this particular thread. Very enjoyable and educational.
    I'm after a bit of advice. I'm looking to buy a second hand watch for herself with a leather strap. She owns a Rolex datejust (bought for her 50th) and wears it all the time. Due to our lifestyle, farming and horses and outdoor types, I think it would be prudent for her to wear something a little less expensive when we are out and about. (The last fall from a horse got me thinking:D)
    I'm saving up for her 60th in a couple of years therefore finances are a little stretched at the moment. I would be looking to spend 120 to 200 euro.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and some of ye might be readers of Hodink* worn and wound and saw this Longines "military" a week or so ago. A grand? Wut the actual f… :eek::eek: If there was ever a case of Hodink "bump" that was most certainly it. An utterly eye swivellingly daft drooling at the mouth weeing yourself price to pay for that. For around that money you'd be getting into an actual military issued 6B Longines. Goes to show the power of respected online bloggists and experts and how they can influence people and the market. Mad. And bad for the market too IMH. Way too open to shilling and abuse. Still if was selling I'd be a real happy camper to get mentioned in such an article.

Annnyhoo. If that appealed to you here's an early 50's "military" Style Longines centre second. Nice bit of patina and all that. Same size, around 34mm, clean movement, nice case.
    $_12.JPG

Oh and the BIN price? 199 sterling/270 euro(damned exchange rate). That's much more like it.

OldRio wrote: »
    I would be looking to spend 120 to 200 euro.

Puts thinking cap on… :) Maybe something Russian? Peasant would be the man for the recommendations there.

*not spelling the name out fully. Google an al. *paranoid* :)

Another too good to be true? Or are womans watch prices just way lower than mens.

Link removed if that is OK. Going to put a bid in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Maybe something Russian? Peasant would be the man for the recommendations there.

nope ...for once peasant is all out of Russian ideas :D

Of current production nothing springs to mind that would suit a lady and out of the tons of vintages none are really up to the challenges of farming/horseriding/ Irish wet weather etc

But here's an idea: The bottom range of your budget would buy you about four of these
    http://www.meranom.com/vostok/kama/
    ...you could just throw away the shell and transform the movement into cufflinks after the first few accidents :D

Another too good to be true? Or are womans watch prices just way lower than mens.
    Generally way lower than mens.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

OldRio wrote: »
    Hi, mainly a lurker here and really enjoying this particular thread. Very enjoyable and educational.
    I'm after a bit of advice. I'm looking to buy a second hand watch for herself with a leather strap. She owns a Rolex datejust (bought for her 50th) and wears it all the time. Due to our lifestyle, farming and horses and outdoor types, I think it would be prudent for her to wear something a little less expensive when we are out and about. (The last fall from a horse got me thinking:D)
    I'm saving up for her 60th in a couple of years therefore finances are a little stretched at the moment. I would be looking to spend 120 to 200 euro.

Farming as well, just bought a seiko diver, look up BFK, and it would be inside your budget. What does she like herself?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭OldRio

blue5000 wrote: »
    Farming as well, just bought a seiko diver, look up BFK, and it would be inside your budget. What does she like herself?

I think she would prefer an old watch. I'm sure I could stop her from wearing it whilst horse riding. She loves the old Longines from the 50's and 60's but price will be a problem.

Advertisement