Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today's bargain watch that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Wibbs wrote: »
    It Personally speaking TH? I'd snipe it double what it's at now, not much more. Sweet if you get it at that, no loss if you don't. It's "worth" that IMH T, but not more. Just goes to show the gulf between some areas of the vintage market and new stuff though. Where a Longines Admiral with an in house auto movement is around that kinda money. :)

I am still soooo tempted by that buggered Longines trench. Like a limping kitten mewing it calls to be. :s:o:)

Yeah, that is the trouble with this game. Hard to walk away from those little kittens even when the kitty litter is full.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

Outbid at 60. Don't think I will go in again...but ya never know.

Sorry TH, that's my fault. Although really I blame Wibbs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Oh you can sing it T. :D I nearly always go for condition above all else, but you know that trend in custom hot rods, the "rat look"? That's what appeals to me so much about that particular watch. It's got a nickel case so it would polish up like new, the dial though not so common does come up every so often so could be replaced with similar and I have crowns for them, but I'd leave that exactly as it is(other than a service and oil change). It shows every year of it's very long life. To restore it to new for me would be like filling in the cracks on an old master. I'd age a strap so it looked equally buggered too. Maybe not, maybe have the strap absolutely pristine.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371292243388?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Wibbs if you could magic a pic out of this it would be good, 1959 military hamilton at £65 with a day to run.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371292243388?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Wibbs if you could magic a pic out of this it would be good, 1959 military hamilton at £65 with a day to run.

I am no expert, but that watch needs a lot of love.
    It would certainly need a good service. And the insides look rough - possibly water damaged?
    It is a lovely looking piece and if it gets that love could be a stunner I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I wouldn't touch that with someone else's bargepole Blue. It's pretty much a complete fake. The dial is a redial and truly awful one at that, the hands are wrong, it's got spring bars, the original is a fixed lug. The back markings look kinda alright, but considering the rest of the watch… If you offered it to me for a tenner I'd walk away.

Compare and contrast

God awful fake
    $_12.JPG

This is what the real deal looks like.
    Hamilton_military.jpg

Seriously folks run and run far.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

You have to be really very careful and have a lot of research under your belt when it comes to military issued watches. They're an extremely popular and sought after end of the vintage market, prices are very strong and so they are faked a lot. Or there's a lot of seller/dealer BS claiming military when it's actually "military style" at best. Basically any small watch with a black dial is going to be labled military. Or they take a civvie version and stamp stock markings on the back. Just look at that example, 30 bids already and watch it climb. For a really badly done fake. The real deals were made in their many thousands for many years so aren't that rare either.

Thanks Wibbs, I bow to your superior knowledge.:)

Thanks Wibbs, I bow to your superior knowledge.:)

I will join you in that bow!

I have bid on a watch and am sitting here, with 40 mins to go, wishing that someone would outbid me. Damned trigger finger!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,243 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

GBP70 for this automatic Bauhaus style piece on TZ

29c6a374edeebf985e8475f5b600a5c7_zpsujlpoft7.jpg

Thanks Wibbs, I bow to your finely tuned level of bullshít that convinces many.:)
    FYP. :p
    I have bid on a watch and am sitting here, with 40 mins to go, wishing that someone would outbid me. Damned trigger finger!
    Oh I so don't do that. That's why I always snipe bid. I regularly withdraw said snipe. Usually after I awake the next morning or sober up. Whichever may be in play at the time. :D Drunk bidding is a Very Bad Plan(™). A mate of mine(not a watch dude) does it every so/too often. Sure, he's got very cool stuff, but some stuff that shows up in his letterbox… :s :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

FYP. :p

That's why I always snipe bid.

Whats the best software?

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

There's a nice new handwind model of Sturmanskie on the market

$_35.JPG

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Sturmanskie-GAGARIN-Russian-watch-Movement-2609-poljot-/281650467165?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4193ad115d

The price of 400 US on this listing certainly isn't a bargain but I would suspect that in a few weeks/months other sellers will have it for half that ...one for the search list methinks

Whats the best software?
    I use Bidnapper DT. It was recommended to me by another Boardsie actually. After years of being pipped at the post he pointed it my way. It made a huge difference. Thanks Khannie. :) Simple website sign up. Very cheap and it works really well. Can't complain and I'm usually one of those moaning feckers. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,243 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I find gixen pretty good too

'Fess up or did you get off the hook in the last minute?

'Fess up or did you get off the hook in the last minute?

I was outbid by 2 euro with 10 mins to go! €132 would have won this slim late 60s Omega. It needed some love though.

Attachment not found.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

I was outbid by 2 euro with 10 mins to go! €132 would have won this slim late 60s Omega. It needed some love though.

Attachment not found.

I'd like to pick up a 70's tv dial seamaster at some point.

I'd like to pick up a 70's tv dial seamaster at some point.

Me too. There were some real funky watches produced back then....tis a gap in my small collection. I may need to overcome my quartz allergy though....:)

• Advertisement

Another in the bargain basement bin. An automatic Longines Admiral with display back(aftermarket? Never saw one before).
    $_12.JPG

Photos aren't exactly David Bailey level, so may be passed over. Has some wear yes, but I reckon would tart up pretty well. 25 quid, 1 bid, 3 days to go.

Back in for this.

Lucky escape IMH TH. Cupid himself could machine gun love bullets at it all day to little avail. Looked ropier than a chap called Roper walking around a rope factory, carrying rope. The hands looked well odd for a start.

I have found while many names can go under the radar, Omega rarely does, they're too well known these days and have a huge and knowledgeable vintage fanbase. So when one looks like a bargain it nearly always means it's been spotted by said fan base and declared a dud.

I'd avoid Omega in general because of the competition. Until you get your eye in as it were. Then again a few pages back a nice hand wound Omega was up for grabs for under 200 quid, so they do come up. The tuning fork and quartz ones can come up regularly enough at that money.
    I may need to overcome my quartz allergy though....:)
    :D well one major advantage of the battery jobs, both quartz and tuning fork, is the majority of collectors have the same allergy. This means competition is much less and prices reflect that. The other advantage is when the early quartz(and tuning fork) first came out they were very expensive and top of the range, so they often can have better dials, hands, cases and bracelets.

EG Omega advert 1972
    zkrfbd.jpg
    Check out the prices. The solid 18K gold Connie is the most expensive(the steel connie was the same price as the PloProf). What's the next most expensive and the focus of the advert? The "electronic" watch. If the Omega quartz models were in that picture they would be around 800-1500 pounds. That's not a typo. And at a time when mid tier watches were significantly more cheap to buy than today. Oh and look how much the Speedie cost back then. A few pounds more than a very basic dress watch.

Back in for this.

And I am out. Bidding at 130 with an hour to go if anyone fancies it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭OldRio

I, the bids are coming in now. It will be interesting to see how much it goes for.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

Aye it's a nice one and a decent size too, however it is a redial. Now it's a good one, but a redial nonetheless. Very common with Italian and Spanish Longines/Omega, even stuff like accutrons.

I'm sure some are done recently for sale, but I suspect a fair number are older redials. The climate, heat, light and sweat seems to bugger the dials after a few decades. When you do see examples with original dials they're badly stained as an almost certainty. When you see similar watches of that age from say the UK, the dials if original are usually in much better condition.

They may even be somewhat sanctioned redials. I remember my dad sending one of his 1960's Longines back home in Switzerland for a service and they sent it back with a new dial, but funny enough it wasn't an original made by Longines. No "swiss/swiss made" at the bottom and a slightly different layout, but Longines fitted it. He also sent his late 40s one back to them and they offered to change the dial, but he wouldn't go for it and they were cool with that(they put a new crown on it though). Getting a dial "cleaned", IE redialed was a common enough thing back in the day. Before the collector buzz and the "all original" thing. After all watches were as much a genuine utility item as male jewellery and a "dirty dial" wasn't seen as a good thing. With "sport" watches that goes double. I personally suspect that a fair number of the Italian(and elsewhere) ones had a similar story, or were redone by Longines dealers locally.

That dial is uncannily similar to my own iwc.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90981110&postcount=2628

Hour markers at 2,4,6,8,10 etc were not so common back then...to put it lightly! And the number font looks the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

That dial is uncannily similar to my own iwc.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90981110&postcount=2628

Hour markers at 2,4,6,8,10 etc were not so common back then...to put it lightly! And the number font looks the same.

TH, that IWC is lovely.

TH, that IWC is lovely.

Cheers! I had it for sale but thankfully no one bought it. I have recently re-fallen in love with it! If we ever have a Boards W&T meet up I reckon it would be the one I would wear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭893bet

Cheers! I had it for sale but thankfully no one bought it. I have recently re-fallen in love with it! If we ever have a Boards W&T meet up I reckon it would be the one I would wear.

Now there is an idear!

Advertisement