Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today's bargain watch that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Wibbs wrote: »
    OK Mr Ed, I'll fire a sleeper at ye and the kinda thing you find if you dig a bit. Here's a Longines Flagship Ultra Quartz, but a model I've never seen before(and as ye know I do be looking :)).

$_57.JPG

There was the original lovely but mad Ultra Quartz, then there followed a more sensible movement one that was still very 1970's in look and which rarely comes up. This model must have followed that one. It looks late 70's, but much more "modern" looking. This example is in fantastic condition, with its original tritium dial and with its original bracelet(which if you auctioned on its own would get you the 100 quid mark) and zero bids at 140 quid with a day and half to go. I reckon a snipe of 180, or 200 to be sure would get it. 200 quid for a Longines Flagship that's rarely seen? Bargain I say. Hell an OEM leather strap for a modern Longines will cost you that and more.

Caveat; if you're a more fleshed out muscly chap and have a wrist larger than 7.5 inch then avoid.

A cunning way to sell off your broken useless old Longines Flagship Wibbs...I am on to you:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Maybe LM :D but seriously guys and gals, that's a very nice piece of kit. If I wasn't financially embarrassed at the mo(and generally :o:D) and crossing fingers on another piece(St Jude don't fail me now), I'd be sniping this in a feckin heartbeat.

For other ones I'd put the beady on Longines wise, there's this 1962 Longines "tank". A little small if that's a worry(Eoin and Deep Thought need not apply), but a very nice example and would be a real beaut for a women's watch. Tres chic on male or female wrist IMH. 95 quid, no bids, ending on Monday.

If you're more flush with the cash and new watches from the big boys are aren't giving the feelz so much, then this Longines "Greenlander" in open auction might be snagged as a "bargain" for one of these(they're actually a little depressed a market for these at the mo for some reason. In past years 2 K + wouldn't be beyond the bounds). I reckon a snipe of 1300 quid could get it. Unless you have two bidders with deep pockets in competition of course. The seller has some other lovely WW2 mil watches, inc an Omega and an IWC, which has gone batshít in bidding* again for the deeper of pocket).

A chrono this time, a Longines Wittnauer example, again open auction and more for the deeper pockets, but I'd reckon 600 quid or thereabouts, unless again a couple of guys go mad. Not great pics on either this or the Greenlander, but in the flesh both are dead cool looking watches.

*I'm very "meh" on IWC I have to admit. Before the mid 80's almost nobody would know who they were and sales were very low volume. They were considered more a movement maker up until the 40's. Indeed the earliest edition of their internal history barely mentions wristwatches before the 1930/40's. Their famous "Portuguese"? How many originals are around? Feck all. That of course doesn't get mentioned by the marketing dept and their Nazi ordered link to the Big Pilot is weaseled away by some clever copy. I've a copy of one of their brochures from 99/2000 and you'd swear they invented the wristwatch, the military watch, the pilots watch, the divers watch, antimagnetic watches and quartz. Ehhhh... nope. Rolex get slated by too many for all sorts of reasons, yet IWC seem to get a pass, yet their fanbois are truly rabid and their marketing dept extract the piss like a medieval leather worker. /rant.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,243 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Love that last one Wibbs.
    So you mean Me an Eoin !! :eek:

Started back at the Gym last nite , so should be down to all you scrawny, girly wrists sizes of the rest of ye very soon.....:);)
    A little small if that's a worry(Eoin and Deep Thought need not apply),

Great, what people here now think I look like:

Fat_bastard.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 65,053 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Started back at the Gym last nite , so should be down to all you scrawny, girly wrists sizes of the rest of ye very soon.....:);)

:eek:

I'm a girly 7.5" / 19cm tiny wrist myself

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

For seiko lovers,
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271798446279?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    maybe wibbs can do some magic and show the photo. Feedback is a bit dodgy for me though.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Your wish is my command good sir;

$_12.JPG

I see what you mean about the 3 bad feedbacks, though the seller did respond to each. It's where you see bad or even so so feedback and no response from the seller, that worries me much more.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,243 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Omega Quartz for GBP 110. Well worn, but surely a decent price?

006_zpsbmra3nen.jpg

Very much so. Bargain IMH. Oh and that Longines Flagship I linked earlier ended, no bidders. Crazy.

Here's another one if you dig on cool 1960's divers. Yema "Skin Diver". Nice bit of kit these and very collectable. 38mm in size, so slap an undersized nato on it and play at a discount Jimmy Bond. :) I've seen ones in this condition sell for 4-500 euro and more. I have a suspish this won't go near that high. I'd reckon 250-300.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

Eoin wrote: »
    Omega Quartz for GBP 110. Well worn, but surely a decent price?

And it looks like one of our own may have picked it up. (Not me btw)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭893bet

And it looks like one of our own may have picked it up. (Not me btw)

Nope! Already gone sadly!

893bet wrote: »
    Nope! Already gone sadly!

):

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Pity - that was a beauty

If you keep your eye out on the bay quartz Omega's can go for very little money. Late 70's and 80's ones haven't really been hit by the Omega Halo effect. Yet. I got my mid 70's seamaster "Mariner" quartz for just over 200 euro and a couple have gone through recently at around the 300 euro mark. And that particular model is thought of as sought after. Ignore the dealers and generally the BIN prices, they're usually mad(600 + for the Mariner for example). Select for auction only and 1-300 quid and wait with bated snipe... You might be surprised what comes along.

*Edit* here's a couple very quickly gathered:

Example

BIN example

Another BIN

One to keep an eye on?

And another

Looks pretty nice as a dress watch. Again BIN

This one will be interesting. A Beta 21 engined example with a couple of issues. These were the first Omega quartz and usually go for nearer the grand mark and often way more in perfect nick. The issues it has are fixable mind you, but could be costly.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00U1LXD5W/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?qid=1426454298&sr=1-5&pi=AC_SX110_SY165

The new bulova uhf military inspired watch. a lot of accuracy with what looks like a nice case and dial combo for relatively little dosh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

LIP Général de Gaulle - £95 and gone PDQ

800Lip05_zpsjtbkmosh.jpg

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Is that the quartz reissue or an original vintage 70's one DT? I can't recall ever seeing one in SS. They're usually gold plated. They have many admirers. Recently a mint NOS 70's one with original box went for near 300 quid IIRC. One in SS in that nick would be a right bargain at around 100 quid. Very cool watch IMH.

This one will be interesting. A Beta 21 engined example with a couple of issues. These were the first Omega quartz and usually go for nearer the grand mark and often way more in perfect nick. The issues it has are fixable mind you, but could be costly.
    End price of 350 odd quid. Pricey enough, but for a buyer who can fiddle about with some prior knowledge that a "bargain" IMH.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Is that the quartz reissue or an original vintage 70's one DT? I can't recall ever seeing one in SS. They're usually gold plated. They have many admirers. Recently a mint NOS 70's one with original box went for near 300 quid IIRC. One in SS in that nick would be a right bargain at around 100 quid. Very cool watch IMH.

Yeah..Re-issue, was sold on TZ for £95

Still available on line for €179 euro new

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭893bet

Steinhart Ocean one for 210 gbp. Would be a massive bargain if the exchange wasn't gone to crap!

• Advertisement

Well that 1960's Yema "skin diver" went for 250 euro in the end. That's at the low end for one of them. Here's a couple more:

A 1970's Longines Conquest. I think that model has the very cool mechanical complication that when you pull the crown to set it, it keeps ticking until the seconds hand hits zero and then stops. 120 sterling, 170 euro(damn the exchange rate :mad:). Unless you're in the UK in which case quids in.

This Omega might be worth keeping an eye on. I'd reckon around 250 odd would snag it.

Now for those with strong constitutions and no issue with stares or snorts of derision from other watch nutters, or hipsters :)This oddball mechanical jumping hour LIP from the 70's might be up your street. These don't come up very often and I've seen them actually sell in auction for 3/400 plus when they do. Especially the bracelet ones. Part of LIP's drive to bring in outside designers to revitalise their range back in the 70's and it really couldn't be more disco if it tried. In this case a chap by the handle of Prince Francois De Baschmakof. Oh yes, none of your muck. 100 euro, no bidders, under two days to go. Might be worth a snipe. I'd reckon around 150 would get it.

For the ladies out there(though it was originally a man's watch it's teeny at 29mm), this is a very nice Longines Weems from the 1940's Nearly a week to go and up to 88 quid at time of posting, but it may go for a low enough price in the end. 2-300 maybe? Good for one of these. PLus the seller is called Mad Albert's emporium. He had me with that name. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Now for those with strong constitutions and no issue with stares or snorts of derision from other watch nutters, or hipsters :)This oddball mechanical jumping hour LIP from the 70's might be up your street. These don't come up very often and I've seen them actually sell in auction for 3/400 plus when they do. Especially the bracelet ones. Part of LIP's drive to bring in outside designers to revitalise their range back in the 70's and it really couldn't be more disco if it tried. In this case a chap by the handle of Prince Francois De Baschmakof. Oh yes, none of your muck. 100 euro, no bidders, under two days to go. Might be worth a snipe. I'd reckon around 150 would get it.

How does that watch work Wibbs?

T'is a jump hour TH. Basically a mechanical digital display. Quite the number came out in the 1970's as the Swiss(and French) response to quartz digitals. Though they have been around since the days of the pocket watch. EG a 19th century IWC jump hour PW

pallweber_1_dial.jpg

Rolex and others tried it again in the 1930's but they were a rare item. Much more common in the 70's but that LIP example is a rare oul bugger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

One of the nicest understated watches I've ever seen.

rolex-super-oyster.jpg?w=630&h=472

Yea I love those kinda Rolexes myself. The Subs et al are lovely watches and true icons, but the various non "tool" Oysters rev my engine more. I've had two; a 1930's one and a 40's example. I sold on both and it remains a regret for me to this day as no way could I afford one these days.

Where did you find that example PUT?

Thanks for the heads up. I'd love one but just can't justify it at the moment.

Where did you find that example PUT?

It's a 1951 Super Oysterdate Precision and sold for £1,450.

It pains me to say it's just a picture I found in the ether, but it is my dream to get one for myself as a 50th present.......:o

Considering the prices of vintage Rollies, never mind the prices charged for new ones, the 1500 quid mark isn't too far off a "bargain" in my humble. Especially for something that elegant and built to last.

• Advertisement

Considering the prices of vintage Rollies, never mind the prices charged for new ones, the 1500 quid mark isn't too far off a "bargain" in my humble. Especially for something that elegant and built to last.

Agreed, when you consider you could spend more on a forgettable Raymond Weil, or suchlike (I hope the OH never reads this post)......:D

Advertisement