Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today's bargain watch that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

For those with a few quid to spend, or maybe those looking at Longines reissues of their vintage models from the 1960s and 70s, there is this NOS Longines Diver from the actual 1960s, inc. original strap.

To quote the v cool Ianp from the MWR forum who some of you may visit. "Pictures were introduced" (always wanted to say that. :))

$_12.JPG

How much are the various reissues? And I can guarantee this is a much better finished watch, with a Longines inhouse movement, especially in this NOS condition.

Here's another watch, the Bulova Accutron snorkel. Funky and with the smoooooth seconds hand of the tuning fork movements. These usually go for decent money and with five days to go it could get into a bidfest, but worth keeping an eye on IMH. I'd personally snipe bid that around the 300 mark and cross fingers.

$_12.JPG

Six days to go, here we have a Trench watch from 1914. It has issues and is in dire need of a service(so factor that in price wise), but I've not ever seen a movement like that in a watch of this vintage. Looks well funky, almost 18th century with its pillared main plate. Under a tenner as we go to press, will defo climb with that early interest, but maybe 200 odd quid might snag it? but you will have to factor in a service of around 100 quid on top.

$_12.JPG.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

I almost had one of those Longines divers for next to nothing yesterday on the bay but was sniped at the last minute :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I am waiting for some taxback from the government....I really need to stay out of this thread until I have the cash in my hand! Way too tempting.

Rolex's would not normally be my thing (way too blingy) but that 1950s one above is stunning.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yep they attract interest alright. Always did to some degree(way less than Omega and others mind you, as one area they were never known for was diving watches), but the reissue lines that Longines released really increased it. Still the longines legend diver is what? 2000 new? Save for the original the LLD was based on you'd get nigh on any one of their vintage divers for that(inc chronos), likely with change enough for a trip to the Longines museum.

Mine says hello. :)
    2zr4491.jpg

IMH of any vintage for the newb to try, vintage divers are one of the best bets. By obvious virtue of their design the cases are very well sealed, so movements dials etc tend to be in better order. Unless they actually went diving of course. :) There were fewer "desk divers" back in the day.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Well that NOS 1960's Longines diver I linked above finally closed at 453 quid, plus a tenner postage. For that the buyer got a basically new 50 year vintage Longines diver with an inhouse movement and an original Tropic strap(that often go for 100 quid on their own), for less than a quarter of what a discounted Legend Diver will cost you. Plus if they keep it in good order it will not go down in price, indeed will pretty much go up down the years. IMH that is the very definition of a bargain.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Lovely watch Wibbs, where did you purchase from?

Wibbs wrote: »
    Well that NOS 1960's Longines diver I linked above finally closed at 453 quid, plus a tenner postage. For that the buyer got a basically new 50 year vintage Longines diver with an inhouse movement and an original Tropic strap(that often go for 100 quid on their own), for less than a quarter of what a discounted Legend Diver will cost you. Plus if they keep it in good order it will not go down in price, indeed will pretty much go up down the years. IMH that is the very definition of a bargain.

This one went for £90 yesterday. http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e11001.m43.l3160/7?euid=5d84a21b1d7b488bbe83c490a99fdf34&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.co.uk%2Fws%2FeBayISAPI.dll%3FViewItem%26item%3D131453289515%26ssPageName%3DADME%3AB%3AONA%3AIE%3A3160

Keano wrote: »
    Lovely watch Wibbs, where did you purchase from?
    Good oul ebay K, Italian ebay to be precise. Ebay.it is worth a shot searching on its own. The Italians guys are mad watch nuts and have been for decades, so you can often pick up some nice examples of all sorts of makers. I've found them cool with shipping out of the country too, even if they don't list internationally, once you message them*. Redials are common though, especially 50's stuff. Hot sunny climates can play havoc with dials.

For good reason Mr Ed. Its a fanciful redial common with Argentinian sellers(though they admit that in the listing), looks more early 70's to me(late 50's ones have a bakelite bezel, not metal) and the badly finished movement isn't any Longines I recognise, nor does it have any serial numbers. The back looks OK, but looks shaped for an auto and doesn't seem to quite fit the main case and again no serials. I'd say it was a non longines generic 70's diver from god knows who, with longines stamped into the movement(wrong font), a new dial and a Longines caseback jammed onto it. In essence a Frankenwatch/fake meant to deceive. If that was the one you missed, you were blessed. :)

The first late 50's Longines diver is single crown, bakelite bezel, has a touch of the first Blancpain fifty fathoms to it. They go for strong money, even rough ones hit the 1000+ mark in general.

*I've found that generally the case no matter what the country. The main exception being some American sellers. I've had one or two German and UK sellers refuse too, but they were very much the minority.

Thanks Wibb's. That makes a lot of sense, little mention of Longines on the sales page yet all of the dealer's other other watches were meticulously described.

I have searched online for a catalogue of sorts of old Longines watches but couldn't find any. I know that some other brands like Certina have some excellent fan sites with lots of detail and history. Any resources or tips?

I've not found a general resource M. There is one site with a load of old Longines adverts, mostly 40's and 50's with a few 70's. I'll try and dig up the link for you. As a company that should have a way bigger following than it does IMH, online resources are remarkably and surprisingly thin on the ground. You kinda have to be a tad obsessive collecting bits and bobs where and when you can.

• Advertisement

PS Keano, if you like I can keep an eye out for similar for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

For my wife's 40th birthday I got her a modern Longines quartz watch. Ten years later, it's coming up on her 50th and I thought it might be a nice whimsical idea to get her a vintage one, ideally from 1965, so it'll be the same age as her.

I'd be really grateful if you could suggest a few models and the best places to try to source them online - the information you've already provided has been great too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Yes please :)

If anybody wants to go full deep pile velour early 70's and Longines and with a tuning fork movement, in very crisp condition with orig bracelet and in a case design I've never seen before, maybe have a look here. That's a very reasonable price for that. A dealer would be asking twice that at least. Can't see it lasting long mind you…

2Go3RK.jpg

Oh and that last Longines Conquest I linked before. The Ultra quartz one that ended with zero bids at 140 quid? It's been relisted and it's been spotted this time and the bids are coming in with 6 days to go. Already up to 170 IIRC.

The same seller also has this Omega Geneve hand winder which looks to be in a "compressor" case(didn't know Omega used them, but I'm not so well up on the brand to be fair). Adjusted to two positions. For the princely sum of 215 quid. That to me screams bargain. I am soooo tempted(if I wasn't potless). If it was a similar longines I'd fight you for it.

If anyone has an interest in issued military watches. Here's a WW2 Siegerin as issued to the German Navy Kriegsmarine, hence the KM on the dial. There were a few makes of these, but this is the only one with the snap back and a fully stainless steel case. The rest are plated and wear badly/have "patina". Cracking little movement in these too.

$_12.JPG

It's been listed now for the third time, I'd bung an offer of 200-220 quid at them and cross your fingers. I'm actually surprised it's not been jumped on. The dial ain't great, but they very rarely are. They seemed to have deteriorated very easily. There are companies in Germany that have very good printing dies for these so… Personally I'd leave it as is. If this was the much more common German army "DH" with the black dial they would have pulled the sellers arm off through the interwebs tubes at that price. And the KM's are much rarer.

Be aware though it's 30mm, but for some reason they do wear larger.

Well the Omega handwinder has sold already. Not a shock. I'm surprised the Longines Ultronic is still up. Though in fairness it is a tad "unique" in looks. May not have the appeal beyond "style, why have you forsaken me?" types like myself.

Still that Seigerin is going a begging IMHO. Check out the movement pic. Clean as a whistle that's been soaked in boiling dettol. More specifically observe the regulator which is sitting smack damn in the middle(as was the Omegas). Majorly good sign in any vintage. Its size may be putting people off. Though given how many are into military issued watches that are often very small by today's tastes and have risen in price in a big way in the last few years, it is surprising.

Look, you bunch of horological whoers I'm "financially embarrassed" at the moment so I have to live vicariously through you feckers, :pac: so I'll keep throwing some links up for interesting stuff as I see them on the Bay, Free gratis(and that's double free if we're getting all classical like). Though my paypal address can be supplied by PM. :D

A day and a half to go and this pretty sought after Bulova accutron diver is still at the 180 quid mark with only 3 bids. This Longines Weems ideal for a woman is at the 180 mark. Ye want oddball? This WW1 Trench in a very rare square hunter case is at the hundred quid mark, though given it's got a week to go I can see that going wild with bidding, so maybe not… Though FWIW, in the past I was put off by a flurry of early bidding, thinking it was Game Over, but every so often, usually with a few glasses of Burgundy on board I fired in a low ball snipe and you'd be surprised how often that paid off.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,243 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Maybe a bit of a gamble, but a tourbillon for £400. I bet that any "tourbillon" on eBay for anything less than 4 figures is just an open heart decoration.

Would prefer it with a plainer bezel as it doesn't need any more decoration, but still...

030_zpsd2e8821b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Jesus Wibbs, ebay are going to take out a restraining order you're on there that much and this is from someone who checks my saved searches 4 or 5 times a day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭893bet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Ah man, can you post a screen shot or something similar for TZ-UK forums, I'd imagine not everyone is a member and can't view the sight.
    for example : Thank you for registering, skill magill. Your account has been submitted for moderation by an administrator and will be activated shortly. You will be notified by email when this happens. To return to the forums, click

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,243 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

On mobile so can't link to the image, but google "Seiko Automatic SNK543 Green dial"

Eoin wrote: »
    On mobile so can't link to the image, but google "Seiko Automatic SNK543 Green dial"

Same as eoghan so can't link

Here is same watch

http://i49.tinypic.com/vzinmr.jpg

Ah man, can you post a screen shot or something similar for TZ-UK forums, I'd imagine not everyone is a member and can't view the sight.
    for example : Thank you for registering, skill magill. Your account has been submitted for moderation by an administrator and will be activated shortly. You will be notified by email when this happens. To return to the forums, click
    Pictures were introduced.

DSCF3947_zpsi2oqzzqq.jpg

Oh and this: WW1 Trench in a very rare square hunter case is at the hundred quid mark, though given it's got a week to go I can see that going wild with bidding, so maybe not… Definitely maybe. It's already hitting near 300 quid with over a week to go, so not a bargain anymore… On the other hand the gold plate Longines Weems is under 200 quid with less than an hour to go so still maybe...

Feck it. This thread title needs changing to "the bargain watch I am buying".

Bought it.

Which "bargain" watch 8, there's a few in the last few pages. I'm getting confused. :D

Which "bargain" watch 8, there's a few in the last few pages. I'm getting confused. :D

Seiko I posted above........

........soon to be on the for sale thread.

So not one of my fabbotastic picks then? You guys need to get way more...

Zapp_Brannigan___Velour_by_DarkMatter89.png

:pac:

Oh and the 1940's Longines Weems tapped out at 199 quid. Not expensive by any means.

To continue the saga of Wibbs' Fabbotastic picks(™)©

I'm gonna try to keep doing the very cut price version of yer man's feature on the Hodinkee watch site What's selling where. He goes by the name of Eric Wind. Fantastic name considering his interest and job, but likely an unfortunate millstone in his schooldays. Anyway, unlike Eric, this will never be about "oh here's a Patek that costs more than your house, but let's all collectively fap at the aspiration and for the cheap seats here's a vintage Omega that likely costs more than your car". *note to self, start watch blogging..* To be fair to the chap it can make for interesting reading and he's very quick to point out pitfalls and dodgy looking items, but the value ranges and watch types are limited to the Hondinkee vibe of aspirational stuff.

Annnnyhoooo, what follows is my usual line up of possibly interesting tat, sometimes velour, sometimes tickers, sometimes hummers and sometimes one tick per second, but I try to keep the costs down well below what the high end fake yokes out there sell for.

First up with just over a day to go, sitting at 130 odd quid, this late 60's early 70's Aquastar divers. It's a ticker so ye anti electronics types looking for "soul" are gonna be cool with it. ;):p Decent enough size too at 38mm sans (original)crown. Cool rotating inner bezel also operated from aforementioned crown. These are a nice watch and still good value for a vintage diver, though prices are climbing.

$_12.JPG

Cool caseback.

$_12.JPG

NB Waterproof, not water resistant. Oh and comes with a vintage 19mm Tropic strap. You could flog that for 80-100 quid on its own(19mm being an odd size).

I'd reckon 2-250 snipe and you'd get it. Might get it for a lot less as the "I've taken the pics in a cave" should help see off many of the magpies.

Yet another ticker. This time a Longines HF(high frequency), not from 82, more like 72. This has the 6942 in house engine and a cracker it is. Real cool feature is its hack complication. Pull the crown and it keeps ticking until it hits 12 and then stops.

$_12.JPG

Just over 2 days to go with barely a quid of a bid. 150-180? I reckon you might get lucky at that.

And yet another ticker. Jeebus, I need to lay down. This one a 40's vintage "pilots" chronograph. Oh yes folks. None of your muck here. Chronograph Suisse on the dial, not a bad size at 39mm, Venus column wheel chrono movement. With a possible connection to a WW2 POW. Not too shabby at all.

$_12.JPG

30 quid with 3 days to go. I can see that one having some legs to be fair. Still, pics ain't great, US buyers tend to stay closer to home, so maybe fire a 300-350 snipe and say a few Hail Mary's? I'd bet a 450 snipe would get it. Though you will have to factor in a service, but that could be a very nice piece of historical kit for Feck All(™) money. How much is a new mechanical Pilots chronograph from the cheapest marques? New ones that are trying to channel the actual authenticity of this boyo? Exactafeckinmundo.

Last but not least, a bit Velour, but it is an Omega and it is also a ticker. :eek: This 1970's Omega Seamaster auto, in the Flightmaster case apparently(I know near jack about Omegas to be fair).

$_12.JPG

3 days to go at 75 quid at the mo. Being an Omega it will likely go a bit mental. 4-500 quid? It may not though. Worth keeping an eye on IMH.

Of the above the Aquastar and the Chronographe Suisse would be my top picks pop fans.

arthur_daley_t.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

Thanks for that Wibbs. Had to pop in a bid for that chronograph. Nice piece of kit.

• Advertisement

No worries CN, but IMH and IME sniping software/sites like bidnapper are the way to go. I have found it's a rare case when a watch is badly described/crap pics/etc that an old stylee bid is successful.

Yep that chrono is a very nice bit of kit IMH. As I say try buying a brand new quality column wheel chrono, never mind something with that level of history even if the POW story is "hearsay". Plus a brand new example will lose monetary value from the very day you open the box and wear it. OK you'll never make decent coin as in investment with the old guy, but worst case scenario in ten years time you'll at least get your money back and chances are high with some change(if you research and find a POW connection then, Oh lordy…). There isn't a single vintage watch in my oddball and chaotic collection that I wouldn't get my initial outlay back and a few I would get double, triple or more and not all were bought a decade or more ago either.

Well, I suppose… since I'm here… How about a couple more for the cheapskates/bargain hunters/fellow member in bargaining Peasant :p among us?

Here's an interesting one for me. A no name watch, Calatrava stylee, but of pretty nice quality with an intriguing civil aviation connection.

$_12.JPG

Very funky textured dial and something I've never seen before. From 1967 with interesting engraving on the back. 160 quid BIN.

More on the pilots line, a Doxa from the 40's in a vague rendition of the "Luftwaffe pattern" of the 1930's, with swinging lugs.

$_12.JPG

Very bloody nice "tropical" aged dial. Pretty much all original and at 36mm minus crown a decent size too. 272 BIN price, but maybe throw 250-60 at the lad and see what's what? Still a good buy at full whack IMH. NB, I spotted this a week ago, but so did some newb over in the WUS vintage forum and that got a few replies, so interest may be up. Again IMH a very nice authentic bit of kit.

Yet another Doxa, this time from the time of the flared loon pants. Looks in fantastic nick and it's a high frequency chronometer movement with it.

$_12.JPG

90 quid, 2 days to go.

Hows about an automatic Zenith? Here's one, a Zenith Pilot no less. One and a bit days to go at 100 quid.

$_12.JPG

A nice chunky bit of 1970's cool. The dial is a bit foxed/patina'd/bollexed, but not enough to dissuade in my humble and a bit of elbow grease with the Brasso will bring up the crystal no end. And it's a Zenith Pilot. How much is a new one?

For the modernists among you :)Here's an Oris "big crown". Popular and pricey enough to buy new.

$_12.JPG

A day odd to go and 150 quid.

And for the "I like a project and have spanners and hammers and strong drink at my disposal"? How about this WW1 era silver wristlet.

$_12.JPG

OK she needs a new crystal and a service and it;s not exactly Patek level in the movement, but left crown Trenchies come up rarely and at 33mm it's defo a blokes watch and it predates the Great war by a few years being hallmarked as 1911. Nice bit of history I say. If you're a tinkerer or have access to one who will work for vino, I say that's not a bad punt at all. Currently 20 quid with a day to go.

Well there it is and there you are. :)
    BKBXF4_2525391b.jpg

Can you imagine the stuff I'm not showing you lot?

Shifty-eyes_small.gif

Actually no, you're just lucky I'm potless. :D

Advertisement