Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today's bargain watch that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Wow. Looked into it before but postage was high.

How much do they charge for postage?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

Bateman wrote: »
    How much do they charge for postage?

I think it depends on the vendor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

This is on TZ and is growing on me...

Graham%20Silverstone%202012%20026_zpspiymebyg.jpg

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,816 ✭✭✭893bet

Caught my eye also. Moreso because its a Graham I actually like as most don't appeal to me. Like grey dials also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,807 ✭✭✭amacca

I mostly lurk here but I just couldn't resist commenting (mainly to see what others think)

Now to each his own I suppose and I know nothing but I know what I like…..that thing is a monstrosity to me, numbers to big, graham waay too big…uuugh

never heard of them before, so looked them up, its definitely better than anything else I saw on their website to my eye anyway.

They just look so gaudy/garish/cheap/tacky especially when compared to how much they cost????

Who buys these at full price? Am I showing my naiveté? (even lack of taste? -I thought I had at least some taste)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,243 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I'm with you on this one - the massive logo/brand name alone is enough to put me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

amacca wrote: »
    Who buys these at full price? Am I showing my naiveté? (even lack of taste? -I thought I had at least some taste)

“Nobody ever lost a dollar by underestimating the taste of the American public.”
    P.T. Barnum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Eoin wrote: »
    I'm with you on this one - the massive logo/brand name alone is enough to put me off.

Me too. Perfect if your name is Graham and you have an inferiority complex and bad eyesight. Otherwise..nah.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

LorMal wrote: »
    Me too. Perfect if your name is Graham and you have an inferiority complex and bad eyesight. Otherwise..nah.

And trouble remembering your name presumably

If DT buys it he will be too ashamed to show it now!

Priced dropped yesterday and all!!'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭emo72

To me those graham watches are a rich man's version of invicta.

893bet wrote: »
    If DT buys it he will be too ashamed to show it now!

Priced dropped yesterday and all!!'

Ha...Not a hope of buying it now..

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

Question for the more knowledgable - Wibbs/893BET et al,
    are those "discounts" on ebay etc real?
    I have my eye on Baume and Mercier Classima Executive XL on ebay. They have a discount of 2,100 and another site "ashford" have 1400 discount.

Is this old stock or whats the catch?

I think they're just a brand where you'd never pay full sticker price, but are supposed to be very well made watches unlike the "bargains" you often see on the likes of Groupon.

Not a "bargain", but still a decent price for a Steinhart Ocean one vintage on leather - GBP300. Pic in case you don't have access to the forum.

zL5mabM.png

Really trying to resist.

Not a "bargain", but still a decent price for a Steinhart Ocean one vintage on leather - GBP300. Pic in case you don't have access to the forum.

Really trying to resist.

Saw it, but somehow the bezel seems to be way too big for the dial...or is that me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Saw it, but somehow the bezel seems to be way too big for the dial...or is that me

Now that you mention it....

(at this rate we could stop everyone buying anything)

I can't imagine any of the dimensions are different to the other 42mm subs; it wouldn't make sense for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

I think it's just the domed glass making the dial appear smaller in photos?

Tudor black bay for 1300gbp on TZ.....

• Advertisement

And gone a few mins later.

I was sorely tempted and delighted its gone so fast!

Pity about the exchange rate at the moment though; that's about EUR1850.

I really, really like those watches though; I tried one on over Xmas and it's lovely in real life.

Pity about the exchange rate at the moment though; that's about EUR1850.

Keep forgetting that! Had my stein up for 270 thinking that was roughly 350. Had an offer of 250 and when I checked that was equal to 355. Euro is worth squat all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Aye this is not the time to be buying outside the eurozone. However if you're outside it...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

893bet wrote: »
    Keep forgetting that! Had my stein up for 270 thinking that was roughly 350. Had an offer of 250 and when I checked that was equal to 355. Euro is worth squat all.

I saw that last night and assumed you were giving boardsie people a better price on purpose!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

May have spotted another interesting "bargain" on the bay, start price 1 euro, only 2 low ball bidders as yet. Bad spelling so doesn't show up in the usual searches of the type/brand, pure shíte piccies and it looks as rough as a badgers behind in said pics, but well saveable. I reckon it'll be spotted mind you and go way beyond my pound shop budget, still, hope springs eternal...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

Wibbs wrote: »
    May have spotted another interesting "bargain" on the bay, start price 1 euro, only 2 low ball bidders as yet. Bad spelling so doesn't show up in the usual searches of the type/brand, pure shíte piccies and it looks as rough as a badgers behind in said pics, but well saveable. I reckon it'll be spotted mind you and go way beyond my pound shop budget, still, hope springs eternal...

I had a search and couldn't find it.

Good. :p:D Though bids are are starting to come in so somebody has. Ah well...

OK Mr Ed, I'll fire a sleeper at ye and the kinda thing you find if you dig a bit. Here's a Longines Flagship Ultra Quartz, but a model I've never seen before(and as ye know I do be looking :)).

$_57.JPG

There was the original lovely but mad Ultra Quartz, then there followed a more sensible movement one that was still very 1970's in look and which rarely comes up. This model must have followed that one. It looks late 70's, but much more "modern" looking. This example is in fantastic condition, with its original tritium dial and with its original bracelet(which if you auctioned on its own would get you the 100 quid mark) and zero bids at 140 quid with a day and half to go. I reckon a snipe of 180, or 200 to be sure would get it. 200 quid for a Longines Flagship that's rarely seen? Bargain I say. Hell an OEM leather strap for a modern Longines will cost you that and more.

Caveat; if you're a more fleshed out muscly chap and have a wrist larger than 7.5 inch then avoid.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »

Caveat; if you're a more fleshed out muscly chap and have a wrist larger than 7.5 inch then avoid.

So you mean Me an Eoin !! :eek:

Started back at the Gym last nite , so should be down to all you scrawny, girly wrists sizes of the rest of ye very soon.....:);)

Advertisement