Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2021 - Cancelled :( **No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

endainoz wrote: »
    It's definitely relevant, festival republic will have loads of data gathered from these test events so they can apply that data here.

They'll want to do their own tests here, can't see them using another country's data they haven't the whole way through this.

They also say people test at home, I thought they would do it coming out of the car park or similar. It's good they're trusting people though, again not a hope our gang will.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

They'll want to do their own tests here, can't see them using another country's data they haven't the whole way through this.

They also say people test at home, I thought they would do it coming out of the car park or similar. It's good they're trusting people though, again not a hope our gang will.

Oh don't you know we need the so called "abundance of caution", even though deaths are heading towards zero and the hospitals are not under pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭endainoz

It's important to note that the testing will only be for people not vaccinated though, that's how I understand it anyway so it wouldn't be the huge task of testing 80k people at once.

Also on a side note, I don't think this has been mentioned before, but say all events are capped for this year at like 50k. Obviously would rule out EP, but would there be any interest in doing EP at reduced capacity over two separate weekends with the same lineup? Would be like Coachella or something similar. Logistics wise, it would be relatively easy with a mostly Irish lineup. My main concern would be that the site may not hold up particularly if there is bad weather.

It could possibly be a runner though if festival republic are determined to get something going this year.

It's important to note that the testing will only be for people not vaccinated though, that's how I understand it anyway so it wouldn't be the huge task of testing 80k people at once.

Also on a side note, I don't think this has been mentioned before, but say all events are capped for this year at like 50k. Obviously would rule out EP, but would there be any interest in doing EP at reduced capacity over two separate weekends with the same lineup? Would be like Coachella or something similar. Logistics wise, it would be relatively easy with a mostly Irish lineup. My main concern would be that the site may not hold up particularly if there is bad weather.

It could possibly be a runner though if festival republic are determined to get something going this year.

I like this idea ... maybe I will tell the missus that our second ticket is a fake and I can go both weekends only revealing the truth on the thursday of the 2nd weekend sent by text as I drive towards Stradbally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Primavera line up looks decent, gives me a bit of hope that we'll see bands touring soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Peterd66

endainoz wrote:

I had thought about this option as well, and would allow them sell additional tickets. Given most of the acts are likely to be UK/Ireland based it could be an option.

Will the UK be part of the EU travel passport system?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Anyone have an appetite to head to the UK for a festival this year (once vaccinated of course)

everlast75 wrote: »
    Anyone have an appetite to head to the UK for a festival this year (once vaccinated of course)

If I was a bit closer I'd definitely think about going to Belfast, but I'd prefer to keep my money here where it's needed for now. (Yes I'm aware festival republic is a UK owned company, but I'd be spending a lot more than the price of the tickets)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

plans for Austin City Limits in Texas later in year , and anything I can once vaccinated in the uk

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Tago Mago wrote: »
    290k jabs administered last week I think.

3.75M adults in the South of this island.

85% being touted for herd immunity, and in all likelihood as much as you're going to get to take the vaccine (best uptake in Europe): 3,187,500.

The eight weeks encompassing July — EP at the current rate: 2.32M jabs.

Poll in the Irish Times yesterday has 4% of over-16s (the vaccine demographic) saying they won't take it and 7% uncertain. I'd say the uptake will be over 90%.

85% are expected to have a least one dose by the end of July. Sooner I believe. That combined with testing enables events to take place, the one proviso being the possible lack of protection from variants for those without a second jab.

• Advertisement

Why would you trust people rather than science. Tests need to be done pre-entry. Can't see many here objecting to an extra 45/60 min wait if they can get to EP.

I believe it's for all as you can still have the virus or be a carrier if vaccinated.

If I was a bit closer I'd definitely think about going to Belfast, but I'd prefer to keep my money here where it's needed for now. (Yes I'm aware festival republic is a UK owned company, but I'd be spending a lot more than the price of the tickets)

Same here. I'd like to put my money into local venues - for the next year i've stuff booked for the Roisin Dubh, Dolans, Button Factory, NCH (just got Tindersticks tickets), Vicar St, Galway Arts Fest and elsewhere. I want those venues to survive and continue to be able to put on acts.

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Why would you trust people rather than science. Tests need to be done pre-entry. Can't see many here objecting to an extra 45/60 min wait if they can get to EP.

It depends on whether you call risk management a science. Unfortunately we seem to be taking a "zero risk or nothing" approach at the expense of prioritising a return to normal society (with reduced risk).

Personally I will happily take a test on site if it means I can spend three days outdoors listening to live music.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I believe it's for all as you can still have the virus or be a carrier if vaccinated.

More and more evidence is proving this to be false. Yes, you may still carry the virus, but nowhere near the load required to infect someone else. Even more so, when the other person is vaccinated too.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

More and more evidence is proving this to be false. Yes, you may still carry the virus, but nowhere near the load required to infect someone else. Even more so, when the other person is vaccinated too.

Israel has basically proved this. Full economy open and cases are tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Great work lads. Only a matter of time before an elite panel of the great and good from this thread are sitting in front of the cameras explaining to the general public why EP will be going ahead. Call it BEPHET. BigMo on graphs. Who's our Tony Holohan?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

It depends on whether you call risk management a science. Unfortunately we seem to be taking a "zero risk or nothing" approach at the expense of prioritising a return to normal society (with reduced risk).

Personally I will happily take a test on site if it means I can spend three days outdoors listening to live music.

Not with the scheduled plans for re-opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Same here. I'd like to put my money into local venues - for the next year i've stuff booked for the Roisin Dubh, Dolans, Button Factory, NCH (just got Tindersticks tickets), Vicar St, Galway Arts Fest and elsewhere. I want those venues to survive and continue to be able to put on acts.

got Tindersticks too. Bit of a jump in price from €36 pre-pandemic to €50! But a bucket list band for me.

• Advertisement

The simple truth is that nobody knows how much of a transmission risk a vaccinated person is. The evidence isn't yet available.

Therefore if you're vaccinated but a carrier and 30% of the people at a festival are unvaccinated then it's likely you'll be passing the load on. Until this belief is discredited there'll be resistance to large scale events unless the mass vaccination is complete, or very close to completion.

BigMo1 wrote: »
    Israel has basically proved this. Full economy open and cases are tiny.

Proved that there is no transmissions when people are vaccinated? Simply not true. There are restrictions still in place as well as very restrictive tourist numbers and from particular countries. The same will happen here.

There is no proof on anything. It will come retrospectively when vaccinations are complete and the effect of the variants is clear.

Those figures are off. There were 300,000 vaccines last week and another 300,000 scheduled for this week.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0524/1223577-ireland-covid-vaccines/

sweetie wrote: »
    got Tindersticks too. Bit of a jump in price from €36 pre-pandemic to €50! But a bucket list band for me.

Yeah, I was surprised by the hike but that may be the future in terms of extra costs for UK bands post-Brexit. But it's a perfect venue for a great band so unmissable for me.

They've played EP twice, superb the first time (2008 I think) but noise interference the second time and that doesn't work with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Great work lads. Only a matter of time before an elite panel of the great and good from this thread are sitting in front of the cameras explaining to the general public why EP will be going ahead. Call it BEPHET. BigMo on graphs. Who's our Tony Holohan?

I'll brush up on the Excel skills, but anything to get us over the line. :D

sweetie wrote: »

Are they allowed I used a disposable barbecue for breakfast one morning and a swat team arrived telling me I couldn't use it, they did let me finish cooking the sausages though.

So first Festival Republic become the good guys. And now Fianna Fáil. How long til Gemma & John join our club?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

• Advertisement

Fatfrog wrote: »

Ha there will be plenty sweating on the way into EP with sniffer dogs around the place!

Advertisement