Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2021 - Cancelled :( **No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

endainoz wrote: »
    It's still moronic to have someone singing Sean nòs in the corner of a pub in the same category as a DJ playing hard house. If a pub is busy, (which they will be this summer) people will talk louder anyway, it is a pub after all. Live music won't make any difference, do they not expect people to talk during pilot events? It makes no sense.
    Not really, it's pretty basic common sense, and makes perfect sense from a risk-reduction point of view. Just like table distance, increased ventilation, wiping down surfaces, etc etc.

Your pilot events point is just silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Not really, it's pretty basic common sense, and makes perfect sense from a risk-reduction point of view. Just like table distance, increased ventilation, wiping down surfaces, etc etc.

Your pilot events point is just silly.

Most of the test event results with no mask or SD seem to disagree with your point

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Of course I'm serious. :confused:
    It's a long established fact. Covid transmission is primarily via aerosols. Why do you think we wear masks?
    This is pretty basic stuff at this stage.

ffs, yes we know its airboirne, no need to be so fvcking partonising.

I meant about the music causing shouting and thereby more virus firing around being the reason for no live music. Seems a bit of a stretch to be fair.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,209 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

any body who talks loudly at a live concert ought to be shot with balls of their own sh!t anyway

This stupid fcking over cautious approach is really getting on my t1ts!

What are we trying to do, get to zero cases, or stop people dying? We seem to be well on the way to the latter, the former is just not going to happen in the next 24 months. I thought the whole point of locking down society was to take pressure off our health system and protect the vulnerable, both of which are the current reality.

I need to say somehting about EP, in order that I don't go off topic. er... EP 2019 was the best EP*, so there.

*I don't believe that and neither will the 400,000 people who were in the Arcade Fire tent back in the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

Just been watching the news, looks like we're going for 25% capacity at outdoor events in August. Meh.

I rewound and watched it again, he said 5,000 or 25% capacity at outdoor events, whichever is lowest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Think we can forget about it for this year, 500 at outdoor gigs from August 2nd, it's hardly going to jump to 60,000 in a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,135 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

nc6000 wrote: »
    Just been watching the news, looks like we're going for 25% capacity at outdoor events in August. Meh.

I rewound and watched it again, he said 5,000 or 25% capacity at outdoor events, whichever is lowest.

Underpromise - over deliver.

When things are better than forecast, they will try to live off that to politically survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭endainoz

everlast75 wrote: »

When things are better than forecast, they will try to live off that to politically survive.

I'm not sure if festival republic would agree!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

everlast75 wrote: »

I'm sure the organisers will have to make the call on either proceeding or cancelling based on what's announced. It doesn't sound good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭endainoz

It'll be some summer for underground raves

• Registered Users Posts: 12,448 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

It makes people talk louder/shout, which produces higher emission of aerosols.

Can we not tell the virus to bugger off then so we can enjoy some fecking music. :):D

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Most of the test event results with no mask or SD seem to disagree with your point

Um no they don't, they literally prove my point.
    The test events had people tested on the way into the venue to weed out positive cases ffs.

Thankfully public health experts, scientists, immunoligists, viroligists etc have a better understanding of basic science and physics than some of the posters on here, who would seem more akin to Gemma O'Doherty and the anti-science, anti-fact crew.

The test events had people tested on the way into the venue to weed out positive cases ffs.

Thankfully public health experts, scientists, immunoligists, viroligists etc have a better understanding of basic science and physics than some of the posters on here, who would seem more akin to Gemma O'Doherty and the anti-science, anti-fact crew.

You really are being quite the dick arent you?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

sydthebeat wrote: »
    any body who talks loudly at a live concert ought to be shot with balls of their own sh!t anyway

There's a Neil Young thread here somewhere and a guy was giving about someone shouting up at him I was right at the barrier and he was there with his kid, I didn't admit it at the time but it was me but we went from melancholy and the infinitive sadness to rocking in the free world pretty swiftly and it rocked on from there, a savage gig in the end. Sometimes even the best of them need a little encouragement.
    IMG-7129.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭RINO87

Poorside wrote: »
    Think we can forget about it for this year, 500 at outdoor gigs from August 2nd, it's hardly going to jump to 60,000 in a month.

Wait, is it to be 500 or 5000 in August? Two conflicting posts there (from different users), head is a bit melted trying to figure this out!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

RINO87 wrote: »
      Wait, is it to be 500 or 5000 in August? Two conflicting posts there (from different users), head is a bit melted trying to figure this out!

It's over, we've enough vaccination done and people previously infected to cover us. Hospital admissions are on the floor and when you get to the healthy under 45's there's little risk of death, we're ahead of schedule on where the hospitals were expected to be at this stage.
      I'm pretty confident this is happening if not there's going to be one hell of a street party to say good by to the summer.

1. Registered Users Posts: 12,448 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

RINO87 wrote: »

I think its 5,000 but it probably fecks up chances of Wild Roots happening, are they not capped at 10,000.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

2. Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Poorside wrote: »
      I have probably been the most pessimistic for this since last year, but I think they are watching for the Indian virus and drier conditions.
      Not sure what the drier conditions are about, but the Indian strain is just getting here, and if it spreads - game over in terms of big gigs.
      But if not, and everyone is vaccinated, then there is a massive chance (imo) that everything else can go ahead. It is just very early days to change anything in case the Indian strain turns out to be something.. But if not, they can change things in favour of more numbers.

3. Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Suckit wrote: »
      I have probably been the most pessimistic for this since last year, but I think they are watching for the Indian virus and drier conditions.
      Not sure what the drier conditions are about, but the Indian strain is just getting here, and if it spreads - game over in terms of big gigs.
      But if not, and everyone is vaccinated, then there is a massive chance (imo) that everything else can go ahead. It is just very early days to change anything in case the Indian strain turns out to be something.. But if not, they can change things in favour of more numbers.

Is this you first time at the Rodeo? When I was in my teens we were all going to die of Aids according to Fauchi then told mad cow disease was going to kill us but had an incubation period of around 30 years, I should be dead around the latter half of 2028 from eating British beef according to the experts then the pigs were going to take us down, next up it was the chickens, now it's healthy people.
      This will pass, don't worry.

4. Advertisement
    5. Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
      Snarky Snark Snark

Is this you first time at the Rodeo? When I was in my teens we were all going to die of Aids according to Fauchi then told mad cow disease was going to kill us but had an incubation period of around 30 years, I should be dead around the latter half of 2028 from eating British beef according to the experts then the pigs were going to take us down, next up it was the chickens, now it's healthy people.

You’ve forgotten the fact that we were all supposed to die first in an atomic apocalypse soundtracked by Nena & Ultravox.

6. Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

:D No, no worries here as such.

I probably worded it terribly, but what I meant was, that I have been pessimistic towards things opening up anytime soon.. Up to now.

I think that we will get EP this year (hoping may be a better word). But I think the reason they haven't so far allowed July and more importantly August (in bigger numbers), is because of the new strains that are expected and they are waiting to see what happens. I heard some on the radio, and read a few bits n pieces. Nothing coming from anywhere of any authority, but it seems like EP will go ahead more likely than not, from what I have been listening to and reading so far, or that's how I have been picking it up/translating it anyway.

campervan.gif

7. Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You’ve forgotten the fact that we were all supposed to die first in an atomic apocalypse soundtracked by Nena & Ultravox.

:D That video nearly brought me to tears at the time, could have even sowed a CND badge on my army surplus jacket.

Kids today are afraid of the sniffles, we held firm against the Russians:cool:

8. Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Tago Mago

I have no issue with them waiting a few weeks to see the ramifications of the Indian variant, it is sensible.

Obviously such straight-forward spake is beyond them.

Smidgeon off topic but cannot fathom the fully vaccinated not being allowed attend sporting events, masked + outdoors.

An absence of cop to it all.

9. Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

You really are being quite the dick arent you?

Look what this virus is doing to us........
      Lads, shake hands and say sorry...

We're 3 months out, and I guess it is possible that it'll go ahead, but the question isn't do you think it should go ahead, it's do you think NPHET / FFG will give the go-ahead for it to happen. It doesn't matter how many are getting vaccinated or that there's fewer in hospital, or that most other countries are having gigs etc, it all comes down to what they decide, and we know that they've been ultra conservative to date.

They'll need to publicly make that call by the end of next month, and privately have given assurances to FR so they can keep planning, and not just pull the plug.

Going from 5,000 in August, to 70,000 3 days later (Sept 3rd). It is possible, as things could change between now and then, but the reality is, it's not music fans that are making the decisions, it's NPHET and FFG

In reality it's all or nothing, as there can't in all honesty be a scaled back festival, in terms of numbers. How would that work, how do you chose who gets to go. It wouldn't be the fault of 18-24 year olds if they haven't been offered and received their 2 shots for example. it doesn't make sense.

fwiw, going by these proposed new guidelines, something like what Glasto are doing would be possible. All tickets could be rolled over to next year, and anyone that applies enters a ballot for a one day, non camping, 5-10k event. Something like that will happen imo.

It's frustrating as fvck, it really is.

10. Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭endainoz

It really is frustrating, the 5k capacity seems to only apply to stadiums from what I understand. Still don't really have that clarity on festivals, outdoor events capped at 500 is a bit of a joke really. That would rule out pretty much everything.

I feel EP will be pretty unlikely now going from the point Leo had on morning Ireland earlier. He said there would be antigen testing at pilot events but that there would be no restrictions on entry in other events.

11. Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

This seems to suggest it's 5k max for stadiums, come August 2nd.
      That's with people for the most part sitting in the one place for the duration.

Festivals as we all know, involve a LOT of moving around.

Yea it doesn't look great, but things can improve over the next month or so. Fingers, toes and eyes crossed that there's a drastic improvement..

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1398055229338361861?s=20

Edited to add link below. Possibility of 25,000 fans for the All Ireland finals in August. So.. you never know..

https://www.rte.ie/sport/other-sport/2021/0527/1224355-government-to-consider-return-of-fans-from-june/

12. Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Look what this virus is doing to us........
      Lads, shake hands and say sorry...

We're 3 months out, and I guess it is possible that it'll go ahead, but the question isn't do you think it should go ahead, it's do you think NPHET / FFG will give the go-ahead for it to happen. It doesn't matter how many are getting vaccinated or that there's fewer in hospital, or that most other countries are having gigs etc, it all comes down to what they decide, and we know that they've been ultra conservative to date.

They'll need to publicly make that call by the end of next month, and privately have given assurances to FR so they can keep planning, and not just pull the plug.

Going from 5,000 in August, to 70,000 3 days later (Sept 3rd). It is possible, as things could change between now and then, but the reality is, it's not music fans that are making the decisions, it's NPHET and FFG

In reality it's all or nothing, as there can't in all honesty be a scaled back festival, in terms of numbers. How would that work, how do you chose who gets to go. It wouldn't be the fault of 18-24 year olds if they haven't been offered and received their 2 shots for example. it doesn't make sense.

fwiw, going by these proposed new guidelines, something like what Glasto are doing would be possible. All tickets could be rolled over to next year, and anyone that applies enters a ballot for a one day, non camping, 5-10k event. Something like that will happen imo.

It's frustrating as fvck, it really is.

A balanced a reasonable account of where we are. 10/10, would read again.

It is this ultra conservative approach that I find so fustrating. Being called out as anti-science with no grasp of basic science just makes me se RED .. and I just want to... look, it's happening again. Calm, Pablo, calm.

I have a BSc & MSc with a PhD in the pipeline for years (probably never get finished). I work in research. I think I should be ok on the basic science. I have also been part of risk management plan development. Risk management is not a science, I don't care what anyone says. Its the risk management that I have issues with, not the science.

@ghostdancer: Yeah, sorry for calling you a dick. But please ease off on the partonising* nonsense and calling out people as "anti-science".

*patronising means you speak to people as if there are stupid, btw.

13. Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭rubick

Open Wednesday, test the lot of us, full scale Salty Dog with cans on the Thursday, Aphex Twin, Radiohead, Richie Kavanagh, Leo V at Casa Bacardi, free 1994 yokes I mean it's not like I'm asking for the Moon on a Stick.

14. Advertisement
    15. Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

I think another issue that would be against EP going ahead is the amount of people that head into stradbally village over the weekend, if it's a case of once you're in you stay in we might have a better chance

Advertisement