Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 tommyq94

I've heard that the examiner tends to recycle questions/topics often.

Has anyone here made a list of what those questions are?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭jewels652

Constitutional

Questions 8 October 2019 what are the issues ?

Tia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Law1997

Would it be ok to leave out right to life of unborn for Constitutional? Hasn’t come up very often.

Law1997 wrote: »
    Would it be ok to leave out right to life of unborn for Constitutional? Hasn’t come up very often.

I am leaving those two out as well and other people I know also leaving that out. I suppose as long as you are covering enough topics you can afford to leave certain things out.

jewels652 wrote: »
    I am leaving those two out as well and other people I know also leaving that out. I suppose as long as you are covering enough topics you can afford to leave certain things out.

Thanks! I’ve covered everything else except liberty.

• Advertisement

CONTRACT

Am I covered with the following?

Offer and Acceptance
    Consideration
    Intention to create legal relations
    Terms
    Exclusion clauses
    Discharge
    Remedies
    Privity
    Capacity
    Consumer Protection
    Mistake
    Misrep
    Undue Influence

Is there anything here I could leave out? Thanks in advance!

TORT

same q, is this sufficient?! Quite worried about tort as its my last exam and might end up getting put on the back burner if im not careful..

Negligence
    Trespass
    Trespass to goods
    Occupiers Liab
    Pure economic loss
    Nervous shock
    Passing off
    Product liability
    Employers liability
    Rylands v fletcher
    Hedley byrne
    Nuisance
    Professional neg
    Public authorities and state liability
    Defences
    Remedies

Anything i should include or could possibly leave out?

PROPERTY

Last post I swear. Is this enough?

Treasure trove etc
    Registration
    Succession
    Co ownership
    Adverse P
    Family property
    Licences
    Land lord and tenant
    Easements

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

Sorry to double post but someone answered my q on topics in company law a while back so I will repost

Originally Posted by CiaranS93 View Post
    Personally, I just did 5 topics which were Corporate borrowing, Share transfer, Shareholder protection, Restriction and Directors. I don't want to say the same topics come up every year in case they don't this time but I worked off the basis that the same topics usually come up and I got lucky. I think covering the whole course is pointless as the topics are usually not mixed.

That post is reassuring but the Spring 2019 paper was horrific. Those topics would’ve maybe got you three Qs max

That post is reassuring but the Spring 2019 paper was horrific. Those topics would’ve maybe got you three Qs max

Corporate borrowing is almost a definite
    Shareholders protection
    Restriction & disqualification
    Share transfer
    Receivership
    Directors duties
    Examinership
    Separate legal personality & ultra vires
    Corporate authority

I did this and skimmed the smaller areas and had MORE than enough for October 2019. Do loads of past papers he repeats a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

CONTRACT

Am I covered with the following?

Offer and Acceptance
    Consideration
    Intention to create legal relations
    Terms
    Exclusion clauses
    Discharge
    Remedies
    Privity
    Capacity
    Consumer Protection
    Mistake
    Misrep
    Undue Influence

Is there anything here I could leave out? Thanks in advance!

You're well covered here, if I was cutting it would be one/some of ICLR, Capacity and Privity.
    TORT

same q, is this sufficient?! Quite worried about tort as its my last exam and might end up getting put on the back burner if im not careful..

Negligence
    Trespass
    Trespass to goods
    Occupiers Liab
    Pure economic loss
    Nervous shock
    Passing off
    Product liability
    Employers liability
    Rylands v fletcher
    Hedley byrne
    Nuisance
    Professional neg
    Public authorities and state liability
    Defences
    Remedies

Anything i should include or could possibly leave out?

If I was cutting I would say Defences, Remedies, Public Authority/State Liability are less likely.

I would maybe consider adding Vicarious, Limitations or Damages.

Tort is impossible to predict though so it's anyone's guess here. Anything could come up.
    PROPERTY

Last post I swear. Is this enough?

Treasure trove etc
    Registration
    Succession
    Co ownership
    Adverse P
    Family property
    Licences
    Land lord and tenant
    Easements

Thanks!

You are 100% covered here. I had similar to you last sitting but did mortgages and didn't do landlord/licences.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭leavingcert17

Has anyone any predictions for equity or what would be absolutely necessary to cover?any tips in covering all of the constitutional course?

Thanks! I’ve covered everything else except liberty.

not doing liberty either

You're well covered here, if I was cutting it would be one/some of ICLR, Capacity and Privity.

If I was cutting I would say Defences, Remedies, Public Authority/State Liability are less likely.

I would maybe consider adding Vicarious, Limitations or Damages.

Tort is impossible to predict though so it's anyone's guess here. Anything could come up.

You are 100% covered here. I had similar to you last sitting but did mortgages and didn't do landlord/licences.

This is so so helpful thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭godfather2

Any kind soul willing/able to share a grid for Contract and/or equity?
    Have nothing to offer in exchange, except thanks, but it might bring you good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Wonderstruck

Considering that section is now pretty much gone I wouldnt be losing sleep over it.

Now I passed Constitutional years ago but I don't see why he couldn't throw a general right to life q on the paper (think like Pretty v UK and a right to death style q) instead. I have no idea if a question like that has ever come up?

I would focus more on that list of cases posted a few pages back, the year I did it three of those cases from his talk all came up as separate questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭user115

Considering that section is now pretty much gone I wouldnt be losing sleep over it.

Now I passed Constitutional years ago but I don't see why he couldn't throw a general right to life q on the paper (think like Pretty v UK and a right to death style q) instead. I have no idea if a question like that has ever come up?

I would focus more on that list of cases posted a few pages back, the year I did it three of those cases from his talk all came up as separate questions!

There was a really strange question a few years back I think on right to life and when you read the paper it was phrased as a man wanting to die....really hoping something like that doesn't come up would really throw me.

Gonna focus on those 3 areas and then about 5/6 others, that should be grand, really banking on them being separate questions

Right, this is my 3rd crack at Tort. Last two times I didn't cover enough and couldn't answer 5 Qs.

So this time, I'm covering

Negligence
    Trespass to Person
    Nuisance/Rylands/Land
    Passing Off
    Products
    Economic Loss/Negligent Misstatement
    Nervous Shock
    Occupiers
    Vicarious
    Damages
    Defamation
    Limitations
    Res Ipsa
    Animals/Fire
    Professional Negligence
    Concurrent Wrongdoers

Surely, SURELY, I am well covered here? If I can't answer 5 Q's this time I might cry :(

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭spygirl

Right, this is my 3rd crack at Tort. Last two times I didn't cover enough and couldn't answer 5 Qs.

So this time, I'm covering

Negligence
    Trespass to Person
    Nuisance/Rylands/Land
    Passing Off
    Products
    Economic Loss/Negligent Misstatement
    Nervous Shock
    Occupiers
    Vicarious
    Damages
    Defamation
    Limitations
    Res Ipsa
    Animals/Fire
    Professional Negligence
    Concurrent Wrongdoers

Surely, SURELY, I am well covered here? If I can't answer 5 Q's this time I might cry :(

Feel your pain, Covered pretty much the above and missed out by three marks. Appealed to no avail.
    Found it the most stressful of the exams tbh.
    I think you should be covered on the above. However, I would throw in Products liability as a back up. Apologies if it is on your list and I have misread it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Reya10

Would be very shocked if that came up since it's moot now after repeal. The examiner seems to like topical issues/new cases

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Reya10

Could some kind soul please share the topics that came up for Equity in March 2019?

Constitutional

My grid is telling me Interpretation came up last sitting but I'm looking at the paper here and it doesn't look like it did come up?

Probably a banker to come up this sitting if it wasn't up last time, would be unusual for it not to come up 3 sittings in a row

Constitutional

My grid is telling me Interpretation came up last sitting but I'm looking at the paper here and it doesn't look like it did come up?

Probably a banker to come up this sitting if it wasn't up last time, would be unusual for it not to come up 3 sittings in a row

It didn’t come up last sitting. I am pretty sure it may come for this sitting fingers crossed.
    Would you know what was q8 from last sitting?

It didn’t come up last sitting. I am pretty sure it may come for this sitting fingers crossed.
    Would you know what was q8 from last sitting?

Excellent. I think my grid put down the Art 45 question as Interpretation for some reason. We might be in luck!

Q8 was Freedom of Exression v Privacy

Excellent. I think my grid put down the Art 45 question as Interpretation for some reason. We might be in luck!

Q8 was Freedom of Exression v Privacy

Thanks for that, that’s what I thought freedom of expression but the injunction part was giving me some doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭leavingcert17

any tips apart from liberty for constitutional?

Equity

Anyone have notes on specific performance with a focus on contracts for personal services? It's only covered briefly in my manual and seems to be the main ask in questions on the topic

I have notes to swap in exchange

Constitutional

Was it not question 7 the catholic constit question, as in the interpretation re natural law would have been relevant because some people may view it and interpret it in context of religion.

I haven't looked at Constitut in couple of weeks so not sure and it's a very difficult subject to be confident on so would appreciate if anyone had any thoughts on other ways that Q on catholic constit could be approached.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ahhhhhFE1s

user115 wrote: »
    Equity

Anyone have notes on specific performance with a focus on contracts for personal services? It's only covered briefly in my manual and seems to be the main ask in questions on the topic

I have notes to swap in exchange

Below is what I have on that..

C. Contracts Requiring Supervision
    This involves contracts requiring supervision where a party performs an ongoing activity. E.g. singing in a theatre, employing a porter for an apartment block, building and repairing.
    1. Contracts to Build/Repair
    • Wolverhampton Corp. v Emmons: Romer LJ. set out three conditions to be satisfied in order to establish an entitlement to an order of SP in respect of a contract to build/repair:
     Work in question must be defined in sufficient clarity
     Damages must be inadequate
     The Defendant must be in possession or entitled to possession to the land where the work is to be done
    2. Contracts for Personal Services or Carrying on Business
    • A contract for personal services creates an employer/employee relationship.
    • McCutcheon states “there is near universal reluctance” to order the SP of a contract for personal services due to: (i) the degree of court supervision; and (ii) courts will not compel a person to work for another where their relationship of trust and confidence no longer exists.
    • Fry J. in De Francesco v Barnum remarked that ‘courts should be cautious about making an order for SP where it is a contract for a personal service in case they turn a contract for service into a contract for slavery.’
    • Giles v Morris- courts reluctant to order SP when relationship of mutual trust/confidence has broken down
    • Hills v CA Parsons- Denning: no justification for denying injunction considering confidence retained by the employer in the ability of the claimant
    • Carroll v Dublin Bus: obiter comments were expressing doubt over whether a court had the jurisdiction to order the specific performance of a contract for employment. Court concluded they possibly could but only if no difficulties would arise as a result of the order.
    • This was then applied in Ahmed v HSE. Despite the fact that relationship of trust and confidence still existed between the parties, the court refused to order specific performance of the contract of employment because there was potential for certain issues to arise as a result of the order and as the court could not foresee what these issues would be, they refused to order SP.
    • While courts are reluctant to make orders that force a person to work with another, they have enforced orders for person NOT to work with anyone else:
     Lumley v Wagner – D agreed to sing at P’s theatre (positive obligation) and nowhere else (negative obligation), however P attempted to go sing at another theatre for a larger fee. Court granted injunction but noted D could never be forced to honour the positive obligation.
     Warner Bros v Nelson- Betty Davies agreed to act for WB and not anyone else for 2 years- only negative obligation can be enforced with SP
    • Keep Open Clauses – required to stay open for certain hours
     Wanze Properties (Ireland) Ltd v Five Star Supermarket - granted an int. injunction compelling the defendant to continue trading in the plaintiff shopping centre during normal business hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭law_struggles

Does anyone have Property sample answers? Can swap for other subjects!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement