Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Wonderstruck

user115 wrote: »
    Was it not question 7 the catholic constit question, as in the interpretation re natural law would have been relevant because some people may view it and interpret it in context of religion.

I haven't looked at Constitut in couple of weeks so not sure and it's a very difficult subject to be confident on so would appreciate if anyone had any thoughts on other ways that Q on catholic constit could be approached.

Take a look at catholic's views of natural rights and our unemurated rights.

Compare our freedom of religion cases to the ECHR and the USA (the really famous ones you can just watch a YouTube video on!) and you can see our view is more that one religion is quite different. One that comes to mind is that one can indeed have experts who can establish their position as right (Superquinn, mcnally v ireland and min for the gaeltacht, mcgrath v maynooth uni etc).

Anything on the preamble, special position (and why it was taken out), women in the home etc could be of discussion too.

Thats just off the top of my head but hopefully will help! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭user115

Take a look at catholic's views of natural rights and our unemurated rights.

Compare our freedom of religion cases to the ECHR and the USA (the really famous ones you can just watch a YouTube video on!) and you can see our view is more that one religion is quite different. One that comes to mind is that one can indeed have experts who can establish their position as right (Superquinn, mcnally v ireland and min for the gaeltacht, mcgrath v maynooth uni etc).

Anything on the preamble, special position (and why it was taken out), women in the home etc could be of discussion too.

Thats just off the top of my head but hopefully will help! :)

Thanks that'really helpful, so that was more of a general question on how catholicism runs through different parts of constit and you bring in things you listed. That's actually not bad question, would just be so stressed in exam that I have to zone in on a certain area, esp since most other exams are like that. Really hate that about constit, a Q could be just about 1 topic or about many.....so dreading it.

Thanks for this though, good approach to keep in mind for exam. Really hoping it is not as bad as I think on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Does anyone have any info on Zalewski v Minister for Justice & Equality?

Doesn't seem to be anything popping up on google

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

In the Spring 2019 Company paper he asked the advantages and disadvantages of incorporating as a private company limited by shares. Would you just answer as benefit of incorporation? Eg SLP, continuity, raising capital etc - or are there specific advantages for a company limited by shares?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Breacnua

Does anyone have Property sample answers? Can swap for other subjects!

send me ur email

• Advertisement

Has anyone got any company predictions from the courses etc? I think Corporate Authority is due a run.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 sm333

Breacnua wrote: »
    Themes from 2019 as per UCD Lecture

Standing

Fair procedures and the limits of judicial scrutiny.

The right not to be deprived of liberty save in accordance with law.

CASES

Mohan v Ireland
    Zalewski v Minister for Justice & Equality
    P v Judges of the Circuit Court
    A.C. v Cork University Hospital
    People (DPP) v CC
    Sweeney v Ireland
    Simpson v Governor of Mountjoy Prison

Are people covering the 3 above - Locus Standi, Fair Procedures and Liberty or am I totally off?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Louis Litt

Does anyone have any info on Zalewski v Minister for Justice & Equality?

Doesn't seem to be anything popping up on google

Think it involves Locus Standi, found it on google. Do any of the cases involve Liberty, don't think they do but omly going off google..

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ahhhhhFE1s

Louis Litt wrote: »
    Think it involves Locus Standi, found it on google. Do any of the cases involve Liberty, don't think they do but omly going off google..

AC v Cork University Hospital is to do with therapeutic detention.. Trying to detain someone who wanted to leave hospital but hospital thought was unfit to go.. Went to SC I believe.. Not sure about the rest though!

Below is the summary I have..
    • AC v Cork University Hospital and Ors [2018] In this case the COA ruled that the Defendant hospital had no power in law to keep a patient in hospital against his or her wishes even if it may have been in the patient’s best interests. Applications were made in this case under Article 40 of the Constitution to inquire into the lawfulness of the detention of AC by the hospital. The High Court found that AC was detained by the hospital in accordance with law. On appeal the Court of Appeal overturned the judgments of the High Court and declared that AC’s detention by the hospital had been unlawful. The Court found that there was no statutory power which the hospital could rely on equal to s23 of the Mental Health Act 2001, which provides for the restraint of patients in psychiatric hospitals. The Court also held that there is no common law power to prevent a patient from leaving a hospital and, even if such common law power did exist, its constitutional status would be questionable.
    • Following this an application was made and leave was granted for an appeal to the Supreme Court in relation to the wardship aspect of the case and the High Court orders previously made.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 sm333

Can anyone explain how to identify when a question is asking about Fair Procedures/Natural Justice as opposed to Trial in Due Course?? Getting really confused between the two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ahhhhhFE1s

sm333 wrote: »
    Can anyone explain how to identify when a question is asking about Fair Procedures/Natural Justice as opposed to Trial in Due Course?? Getting really confused between the two.

From my understating Fair Procedures is more abstract like no bias, reasons given for decisions, representation and could be for both civil and criminal (or maybe just civil open to correction?) where trial in due course I believe is more practical and just criminal so like unconstitutionally obtained evidence, undue delay, right to have access to a solicitor, presumption of innocent, right to silence etc

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭vid36

Right, this is my 3rd crack at Tort. Last two times I didn't cover enough and couldn't answer 5 Qs.

So this time, I'm covering

Negligence
    Trespass to Person
    Nuisance/Rylands/Land
    Passing Off
    Products
    Economic Loss/Negligent Misstatement
    Nervous Shock
    Occupiers
    Vicarious
    Damages
    Defamation
    Limitations
    Res Ipsa
    Animals/Fire
    Professional Negligence
    Concurrent Wrongdoers

Surely, SURELY, I am well covered here? If I can't answer 5 Q's this time I might cry :(

I would also cover Employer's Liability, it has proved a moderately popular topic in recent years.

vid36 wrote: »
    I would also cover Employer's Liability, it has proved a moderately popular topic in recent years.

I’m going to leave it off as it was on the last paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭vid36

I’m going to leave it off as it was on the last paper.

Honestly, I would still cover it, it was also on the paper I passed last spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 tommyq94

Is there anywhere in particular I can find summaries/notes on the most important 2019 Constitutional cases, or is everyone just searching them on Google?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭supercreative

Anyone have any clue how to answer Constitutional Q1 October 2018? I don't get how it affects Alice's property rights and equally I don't know how it's affecting her freedom of expression since she's being prosecuted for what somebody else said, but my grid says both of these issues come up in the question.

Anyone have any clue how to answer Constitutional Q1 October 2018? I don't get how it affects Alice's property rights and equally I don't know how it's affecting her freedom of expression since she's being prosecuted for what somebody else said, but my grid says both of these issues come up in the question.

The Act is prohibiting publication of anything encouraging taking pharmaceutical products and one of her vendors advertises a website doing that which is an offence under the Act, you can argue the Act breaches freedom of expression here and right to communicate.

Property rights = right to earn a living. Presumably Alice makes money off running the website and the act could be considered to be interfering with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭HappyKitten62

Do you have the report for October 18 and maybe sample answers?? I’m so stuck

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭supercreative

Do you have the report for October 18 and maybe sample answers?? I’m so stuck

No sample answers but I can email you the report if you PM me?

Equity

I'm finished equity and think I am happy enough with what I am covering, I think I'm just leaving out constructive trusts and resulting, my list:

- All injunctions
    - Rescission
    - Undue influence
    - Trusteeship
    - Secret trusts
    - 3 certainties
    - Charitable trusts
    - Cy pres
    - Prop Estoppel
    - SP
    -DMC
    -Rule in Strong v Bird
    - Satisfaction

If I have time I might skim over rectification.

Do you think I would be covered with this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jus_me

Anyone know the key points discussed at the Constitutional lecture in UCD in jan?

jus_me wrote: »
    Anyone know the key points discussed at the Constitutional lecture in UCD in jan?

Locus Standi
    Fair Procedure
    Right to Liberty

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Wonderstruck

Anyone doing EU, catch the repeat of the RTE News at 6:01 they have a guest on who gives a great summary of the Dwyer judgement which happened today and about referring up to the CJEU works! :)

Constitutional

What was the Autumn 2017 question 1? It looks like right to property and proportionality but not really sure at all, that's just a guess

Also question 7 in that sitting, looks like access to justice but not sure where that lots in re topics

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭leavingcert17

It’s so hard to prepare for the case note question for constitutional w/o ending up with like 40 cases to learn

Constitutional

What was the Autumn 2017 question 1? It looks like right to property and proportionality but not really sure at all, that's just a guess

Also question 7 in that sitting, looks like access to justice but not sure where that lots in re topics
    Question 1 is judicial power Cassidy case! And right to property

Constitutional

Q1 is freedom of assembly and freedom of expression

I think Q7 is SOP, Non-Delegation Doctrine, Principle and Policies test etc and internal rules of the Oireachtas. I'm also thinking maybe something related to special criminal court, but not sure what topic that is

Edit - Art 38.3 is in relation to special courts, I don't have anything on this though so not sure if that forms a big part of the question

Edit again - I was looking at March 2017 whoops

It’s so hard to prepare for the case note question for constitutional w/o ending up with like 40 cases to learn

I decided I won't do that but will prob regret it :( It would be worth doing I think if you have a good memory for case names and what judge said why it is important and any dissenting opinions but I really only can remember parties not always both, the general principle flowing from it an very basic facts, duno if that would be enough

I decided I won't do that but will prob regret it :( It would be worth doing I think if you have a good memory for case names and what judge said why it is important and any dissenting opinions but I really only can remember parties not always both, the general principle flowing from it an very basic facts, duno if that would be enough

Yes I’m the same. There’s so many, be such a pity to have one and not the other, that’s why I’m so tempted to cover more. How is constitutional study going?
    There’s so much to get done in time

• Advertisement

Yes I’m the same. There’s so many, be such a pity to have one and not the other, that’s why I’m so tempted to cover more. How is constitutional study going?
    There’s so much to get done in time

Casenote might be grand on the day but it's not one I'm gonna bank on.

Study going very slow for constit been going through papers til 2015 to work out what topics are usually up and its so hard to know, questions are so specific and topics are so broad. I'm really hoping it won't be that bad in exam, really think he must be an alright marker if there is usually about 65-70 pass rate

I have yet to cover:
    - Privacy, FOE, FOA, very popular
    - Liberty
    - Family and 42A, i think 42A is a fairly popular question
    - Equality
    - Unconstit
    - Amending constit

Have already done:
    - Interpret
    - SOP
    - Property rights
    - Right earn livihood
    - President and AG
    - Locus Standi
    - Fair procedures

Going to have to drink a serious amount of coffee to do 8 topics in space 4-5days....

How are you set, what topics you covering? Do you think I should cut anything from list above or anything I should really have done?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement