Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Jeez, they'd let anyone on da telly now. :D

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Jeez, they'd let anyone on da telly now. :D

There was proof needed that Leitrim existed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Leitrim is just an imaginary place down there back of a wardrobe of some auld one in Arvagh.

_Brian wrote: »
    Leitrim is just an imaginary place down there back of a wardrobe of some auld one in Arvagh.

Ah but we're safe :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Was at a table with a lad raving out here one day fully convinced Leitrim was made up because he never met anyone from there and if he did he never saw them again, ive had the same experience myself to be fair maybe ye keep better company.

Better living everyone

• Advertisement

Was at a table with a lad raving out here one day fully convinced Leitrim was made up because he never met anyone from there and if he did he never saw them again, ive had the same experience myself to be fair maybe ye keep better company.

We don't get out much :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Rosahane

When we were kids we would spend a month of the summer in my mother's home in Cavan, Leitrim was well known to us because her cousin the late Ned Farrelly who was a GP in Ballinamore might call and would always give us ten bob each. That was a lot of goodies in the 1960's! We all thought everybody in Leitrim was wealthy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

We're not let out much :pac:

Corrected that for you.

Leitrim has become better known to the masses in recent years due to the influx of stag and hen parties converging on Carrick on Shannon every weekend. I'm sure I read a statistic that the population of Carrick rose by something like 2,000 people every weekend mainly consisting of the above parties. It's a fair achievement for what's a run of the mill smaller town in rural Ireland.

We don't get out much :pac:

Yea but when yere out yere out. One of the two that i did meet had row with his auld lad dosing cattle one day he stormed off thick as a ditch had a few pints and was in Sydney within a week.

Better living everyone

Corrected that for you.

Leitrim has become better known to the masses in recent years due to the influx of stag and hen parties converging on Carrick on Shannon every weekend. I'm sure I read a statistic that the population of Carrick rose by something like 2,000 people every weekend mainly consisting of the above parties. It's a fair achievement for what's a run of the mill smaller town in rural Ireland.

:D

Carrick is avoided by a lot purely for that fact too. It can be a right pain at the weekend. Obv not at the moment though!

• Advertisement

Yea but when yere out yere out. One of the two that i did meet had row with his auld lad dosing cattle one day he stormed off thick as a ditch had a few pints and was in Sydney within a week.

Leitrim is also leading the trend in social distancing measures for public transportation judging by the video emerging of the son brought home last week from the airport in a cattle trailer. I think the father and son in the driving test result video (an auld bitch of a woman) a few years back were also Leitrim men too.

Leitrim is also leading the trend in social distancing measures for public transportation judging by the video emerging of the son brought home last week from the airport in a cattle trailer. I think the father and son in the driving test result video (an auld bitch of a woman) a few years back were also Leitrim men too.

Auld bitch of a woman, i introduced that to a few city boys vocabulary out here.

Better living everyone

:D

Carrick is avoided by a lot purely for that fact too. It can be a right pain at the weekend. Obv not at the moment though!

I used to know all about it, Sunday night used to be more of a locals night at one stage as most of the "outsiders" had returned home. The current restrictions on socializing seem very draconian to me until I realized I don't really go out much anyways. I'd love to say I'm getting more sensible but probably just more unsociable.

I used to know all about it, Sunday night used to be more of a locals night at one stage as most of the "outsiders" had returned home. The current restrictions on socializing seem very draconian to me until I realized I don't really go out much anyways. I'd love to say I'm getting more sensible but probably just more unsociable.

I second that. Can't remember when I was last out in the pub tbh.
    A good book, fire lit, decent food & i'm happy. God I'm old before my time :pac:

I second that. Can't remember when I was last out in the pub tbh.
    A good book, fire lit, decent food & i'm happy. God I'm old before my time :pac:

+1 on that. I've started back reading recently and have just finished Under the Dome by Stephen King (definitely art imitating real life atm). Tonight at work would have been my main social outlet but even that's postponed for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Rosahane wrote: »
    When we were kids we would spend a month of the summer in my mother's home in Cavan, Leitrim was well known to us because her cousin the late Ned Farrelly who was a GP in Ballinamore might call and would always give us ten bob each. That was a lot of goodies in the 1960's! We all thought everybody in Leitrim was wealthy.
    They’re opening up the old narrow gauge line (Dromod to Belturbet) as a green way.
    The first stage is underway
    Worth a trip for you when it’s open

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Rosahane

They’re opening up the old narrow gauge line (Dromod to Belturbet) as a green way.

Thanks for that, will definitely visit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭148multi

Rosahane wrote: »

Well there is more millionaires per head of population in Leitrim than any other county, due to them saving up for the All Ireland ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 29,155 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

2 atms robbed on main street Dundalk this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

whelan2 wrote: »
    2 atms robbed on main street Dundalk this morning

I bet they wore their masks and gloves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,141 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Bullocks wrote: »
    I bet they wore their masks and gloves

The psni got three of the feckers and got the two atms across the border.
    They'll be social isolating for a while anyway.
    Question is in which jurisdiction?

It's strange, a night or 2 before the last atm robbery the dogs here were going mental during the night. Same on Thursday night just gone. We have lorries and a low loader...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

It's strange, a night or 2 before the last atm robbery the dogs here were going mental during the night. Same on Thursday night just gone. We have lorries and a low loader...

You HAD lorries and a low loader........Have you chceked? Are they still there?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Can't beat a dog around the house.
    We moved back to the farm house last year and are living within earshot of the calving shed. Three cows calved at night so far and the wife's newfoundland barked everytime!
    She sleeps in the utility looking out a patio door and barks if a car comes up to turn at night aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Jb1989

+1, bit too much information given online to what people have in their yard

Plenty of security around here.

Nice to have a bit of a change from covid being the main headline on local news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Gillespy

We live up a long drive(it's a bohereen) and as soon as a van, lorry or anything with a trailer turns in our dog goes off like a siren. Cars she's fine, waits for them to get close to the yard. Trouble is she's a pure pet and spends most nights inside. But will go out again when it warms up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Gillespy wrote: »
    We live up a long drive(it's a bohereen) and as soon as a van, lorry or anything with a trailer turns in our dog goes off like a siren. Cars she's fine, waits for them to get close to the yard. Trouble is she's a pure pet and spends most nights inside. But will go out again when it warms up a bit.

I used to have a great alarm dog, she had a special bark for strange voices. If she was loose around the house she would confront strangers but keep 10ft between her and them.
    The dogs we have at the minute are useless guard dogs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Didn't someone have the narrow gauge railway running there? Any idea what happened to it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement