Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Lads are hardware shops open, I’ve a few jobs to get done, I need some glass nails, sky hooks and a glass hammer if anyone knows where I can get them....maybe online. Thanks Mac

Great news on the wolves......I’ll be making money thanks to that scheme:D

The long stand is still open.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,237 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Lads are hardware shops open, I’ve a few jobs to get done, I need some glass nails, sky hooks and a glass hammer if anyone knows where I can get them....maybe online. Thanks Mac

Great news on the wolves......I’ll be making money thanks to that scheme:D

I find the rubber nails much better than the glass nails

• Registered Users Posts: 18,517 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We used to send new recruits in work over to the nurse for their “anti static injections”, she always had a good laugh at it, made them wait outside while she “charged up the needle”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭straight

whelan2 wrote: »
    I find the rubber nails much better than the glass nails

A tin of stripey paint is another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,065 ✭✭✭✭Esel

A bubble for a spirit level.

There is such a thing as a skyhook - used in rock-climbing - I have a couple somewhere.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Esel wrote: »
    A bubble for a spirit level.

There is such a thing as a skyhook - used in rock-climbing - I have a couple somewhere.

Skirting ladder. 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭Grueller

My old wood work teacher was teaching us about bending timber in theory class one day. At the same time the class smart ass was acting the goat. He says to hell with it lads I'll show ye but we will need to make a steam box to steam the laminates.
    He takes out a big plastic container and says that will do for the box, but how do we manage the steam and a tube? He thinks for a second and sends our smart ass off to the science lab for a bucket of steam and the lend of a set of fallopian tubes.
    5 minutes later yer man is back as red as a beetroot. He would never tell us what the science teacher said but whatever it was she embarrassed the sh1te out of him.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Michael D making an address at around 12, should be on the radio at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,192 ✭✭✭✭Water John

RTE News Now on TV should surely carry it also, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Anyone elsenotice a huge amount of rabbits around the last few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,185 ✭✭✭✭Base price

ganmo wrote: »
    Very few around here in the last couple of year. RHD wiped them out but I seen a handful around the headlands recently.
    Edit to add - there are plenty of hares to be seen running about like headless chickens.

It's the Easter bunny....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

When they are around they are in the neighbors across the road but rarely in ours. Noticed them around only this week. They seem to thrive for a few years then get wiped out again with myxomatosis for another while

• Registered Users Posts: 18,517 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Valley here is full of buzzards now so rabbits wiped out.

This might be of interest to some, a seminar online about greenhouse gasses. Might suit now some have a bit more time off.
    https://twitter.com/TeagascEnviron/status/1245747844214075393?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 9,666 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

_Brian wrote: »
    Valley here is full of buzzards now so rabbits wiped out.

A buzzard only needs one rabbit to keep going for a week(they scavenge most of the time, plus the likes of crows and rats make up most of the live diet) - much more likely a disease like Mixi or RHD has hit, the latter arrived in the country only a couple of years ago and has spread fast and hit many populations hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,666 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Same my end - some populations seem to have a bit of resistance now to mixi but are still vulnerable to RHD if it gets into a colony

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Good loser

My cat starts patrolling the ditches this time of the year. They're common for a while and then they're not. Mind you haven't often seen him with one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Good loser wrote: »
    My cat starts patrolling the ditches this time of the year. They're common for a while and then they're not. Mind you haven't often seen him with one.

Probably hunting nesting birds, cats are indiscriminate killers.

• Advertisement

Anyones internet gone really bad this last few days especially in the evening time?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Anyones internet gone really bad this last few days especially in the evening time?

Mines never been great but was trying to use Zoom in the shed for a video yesterday & not a chance of it working. Was probably a bit optimistic of it working well anyway :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

More than likely a higher demand for streaming services like netflix and the like during these times so that could be the cause.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,006 ✭✭✭emaherx

No mines fine :D

attachment.php?attachmentid=508060&d=1585904893[IMG][/img]

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I reckon the further out you are from the telephone exchange the worse it gets as all the houses nearer the exchange get priority to bandwidth.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

More than likely a higher demand for streaming services like netflix and the like during these times so that could be the cause.

Netflix has reduced their picture quality here to reduce demand on the internet, I think.

And if any of you are still getting Cloudflare messages when you try to load a page, that's partly due to demand on the internet.

blue5000 wrote: »
    I reckon the further out you are from the telephone exchange the worse it gets as all the houses nearer the exchange get priority to bandwidth.

They don't get priority, every one suffers some loss due to network load but the further you are out on a copper line (or the further you are away from a mast if wireless) then you already have much reduced speed compared to those nearer.

Netflix has reduced their picture quality here to reduce demand on the internet, I think.

And if any of you are still getting Cloudflare messages when you try to load a page, that's partly due to demand on the internet.

Netflix, Amazon, YouTube and Apple have all done similar, but the reductions are quite small so SD, HD and even UHD are still options if you had enough bandwidth to deal with UHD in the first place :D

emaherx wrote: »
    Netflix, Amazon, YouTube and Apple have all done similar, but the reductions are quite small so SD, HD and even UHD are still options if you had enough bandwidth to deal with UHD in the first place :D

Will you switch off Disney+ and go do a bit of work now?:P

• Advertisement

Will you switch off Disney+ and go do a bit of work now?:P

Nah, so much bandwidth here I'll just leave it on running with all of the other services, one for each screen in the house :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement