Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I'm stuck in a small terrace house with the wife and 20 month old. Both of us are working from home, and trying to entertain the young lad. It's a feckin nightmare. Luckily, both of us can duck and dive around the work stuff in turns, and then catch up and finish off things when he's in bed. It's a long day. On top of that, I've a heap of manure to spread and some land levelling to do down home before the weather breaks too. Getting there won't be simple either with the guards out stopping.

That’s a tough situation in current environment.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Is it possible to get soil sampling/testing done at the moment?

I'd be inclined to try it anyway - if you get stopped by Gardai, show them the soil samples, and explain what you're at. They'll hardly drag you off to the barracks I'd say.

But check to see if the lab is still open and OK to receive samples first

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I'm stuck in a small terrace house with the wife and 20 month old. Both of us are working from home, and trying to entertain the young lad. It's a feckin nightmare. Luckily, both of us can duck and dive around the work stuff in turns, and then catch up and finish off things when he's in bed. It's a long day. On top of that, I've a heap of manure to spread and some land levelling to do down home before the weather breaks too. Getting there won't be simple either with the guards out stopping.

You're OK travelling for farm business aren't you? Bring ID, IFA membership card if you have one, and a Dept letter with your name/address on it. I think the Gardai are being very reasonable on this.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

I'd be inclined to try it anyway - if you get stopped by Gardai, show them the soil samples, and explain what you're at. They'll hardly drag you off to the barracks I'd say.

But check to see if the lab is still open and OK to receive samples first

Coop usually have someone to do the sampling but that's probably a no go at the minute. I could take the samples myself but getting tests done is another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭jimini0

Anyone else get this notice. Looks like a scam. Even though I am waiting for a package

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,118 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Coop usually have someone to do the sampling but that's probably a no go at the minute. I could take the samples myself but getting tests done is another story.

Best thing then is just ring up the lab wherever you go.
    IAS in bagnelstown had constant messages up everyday on their sm platforms that they were still testing just leave at the door.
    I'm not sure now though I haven't seen any for this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

jimini0 wrote: »
    Anyone else get this notice. Looks like a scam. Even though I am waiting for a package

Scam I reckon. Polish lad at work got it yesterday and was asking what I thought. Scrap it I said or swing by Post Office and ask them. Number you received it from is a bit if a giveaway though.

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    Scam I reckon. Polish lad at work got it yesterday and was asking what I thought. Scrap it I said or swing by Post Office and ask them. Number you received it from is a bit if a giveaway though.

Ya number is a give away alright. Never got a package from an post before so wasn't too sure

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Article about it yesterday in the local online paper. It's a scam alright. They look for a small fee to release the package that ain't there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

We got a text from the local Gardai about it so it's going around.

• Advertisement

We got a text from the local Gardai about it so it's going around.

I suppose in these bad times the crooks have to make a pound

I'd be half tempted to reply, they might take my overdraft away with them:D

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

I would make a guess that it is the credit card details they want rather than the fee.

I would make a guess that it is the credit card details they want rather than the fee.

The community alert here had a warning of a scam where they already had your credit card details and all they needed was for you to click on the link in the message and money was taken out of your account.

All these online scams are being ramped up big time atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Not to take away from the super news of scams but I was doing some fertiliser green cert work this evening & got all bloody confused. I'm crap with numbers, can't do fiddly things with them like kg/hc etc so sent a pic of the work to the agri adviser we use & he's going to talk me through it tomorrow. Well worth it!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭emaherx

Well they are working from home :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,134 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Watched the film holes with the kids there. It's well worth a watch

Not to take away from the super news of scams but I was doing some fertiliser green cert work this evening & got all bloody confused. I'm crap with numbers, can't do fiddly things with them like kg/hc etc so sent a pic of the work to the agri adviser we use & he's going to talk me through it tomorrow. Well worth it!:pac:
    Put down you feed the soil with dung and slurry and seaweed and biochar and woodchip and rockdust and worm tea and humic acid and fulvic acid and fish emulsion and molasses. .and you'll get an A plus.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Watched the film holes with the kids there. It's well worth a watch
    Jesus that is a good film. Does zero?(if I remember correctly) Still like digging holes? Where did you watch it?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,134 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Jesus that is a good film. Does zero?(if I remember correctly) Still like digging holes? Where did you watch it?

We got the Disney plus channel. Watched half of it last night and rest of it tonight. Kids would have done the book in 6th class.

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote: »
    We got the Disney plus channel. Watched half of it last night and rest of it tonight. Kids would have done the book in 6th class.

There should be a camp like that these days. Might straighten out a few troublemakers

Put down you feed the soil with dung and slurry and seaweed and biochar and woodchip and rockdust and worm tea and humic acid and fulvic acid and fish emulsion and molasses. .and you'll get an A plus.

I spent a half hour researching phosphorous before declaring fcuk it & going off mulching.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Fish emulsion! Where will I find that on the dulux chart ; )

Fish emulsion! Where will I find that on the dulux chart ; )

Yea it's salmon pink. Nice aroma..

That won't help me with kg of Fert needed on x amount of 2nd cut reseed :o

That won't help me with kg of Fert needed on x amount of 2nd cut reseed :o

It'd be a right one if you came back with a bit of this to that question.

https://www.arc2020.eu/farming-as-its-ferment-to-be-korean-natural-farming-in-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Only godless farmers use kgs/ha.

Units/acre or sue for discrimination!

It'd be a right one if you came back with a bit of this to that question.

https://www.arc2020.eu/farming-as-its-ferment-to-be-korean-natural-farming-in-ireland/
    Gillespy wrote: »
    Only godless farmers use kgs/ha.

Units/acre or sue for discrimination!

I'm still awaiting the final response of my brown envelope god. He who turns fields into money :) If ye want a go I'l upload the pic.

I'm still awaiting the final response of my brown envelope god. He who turns fields into money :) If ye want a go I'l upload the pic.

Count me out anyway.

Whatever about Gillespy?!

• Advertisement

There's a few changes to TB testing after being agreed. Calves can be traded up to 120 days for internal trade though the 42 day requirement for export stays. Concessions for TB testing for older farmers are agreed as well to postpone testing without penalty for a period.

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/new-tb-testing-concessions-agreed-due-to-covid-19-537739

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement