Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SUMMER WEATHER 2015 -GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,542 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Was 21c here earlier. That's warm.

It's not really though, it's pleasant yes, but it's not exactly hot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,230 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

murpho999 wrote: »
    It's not really though, it's pleasant yes, but it's not exactly hot.

No its not hot, I agree. Hence the word "warm".

Its not so pleasant anymore at 16c.***Shivvveerr***

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

murpho999 wrote:
    Sedriously lads, do you all really consider 15-17 degrees which it is today as "warm". Would be an average Spring day in other countries and here people are complaining of the "heat" and going around in shorts and skimpy tops.

Pretty stupid comment to be honest.
    We dont live in other countries, and we are Irish so yeah, It's warm for Ireland.In winter is -1 not cold because some countries have -25 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alexis Sanchez

ComfortKid wrote: »
    We dont live in other countries, and we are Irish so yeah, It's warm for Ireland.In winter is -1 not cold because some countries have -25 ?

You get used to the heat. We had a cold May so this weather was a shock to the system - that's why people feel warm. I found the shade to be pretty nippy yesterday and no surprise as it was only 17*C, but the sun is very strong, burnt my back to bits.

In regards to your analogy, with Ireland being a windy country, I'd choose -7*C on a calm morning over +7*C with a strong wind. -1*C on a calm, frosty morning is very tolerable. I think it was -8*C one morning this year and I definitely felt colder in rainy, windy weather.

My analogy was in reply to the lad that said 17 or 18c isn't warm because it's not considered warm to foreigners. It is warm for Ireland. Especially after the last few weeks. I used work with a few Russians and they told me that 1c in Ireland is colder that -25c in Russia. Something about wet air.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Near constant sunshine the past few days but the temperature can't get past 16C.

But if you stand in the sun it feels very warm.

Advice? Stay out of the shade....

I don't find my comment stupid at all.

No matter where you are from 16-18 degrees is not that warm and if you are out and about in skimpy tops and shorts you will soon feel cold.

Your examples of relativity refer more to what people are used to rather than the actual temperatures are and I found it bizarre around 9pm last night when the temperature had really dropped that people were wandering around like it was southern Spain.

I found it bizarre around 9pm last night when the temperature had really dropped that people were wandering around like it was southern Spain.

Indeed, but the Irish are funny that way. In the sunny April days we had t-shirts and shorts when the temperature was 12C.

Then they wondered about all those Spring colds!

To us, sunshine=heat. As you know you can get severe sunburn, and a flu, while skiing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭acequion

No matter where you are from 16-18 degrees is not that warm and if you are out and about in skimpy tops and shorts you will soon feel cold.

Your examples of relativity refer more to what people are used to rather than the actual temperatures are and I found it bizarre around 9pm last night when the temperature had really dropped that people were wandering around like it was southern Spain.

Totally agree. Temperatures of 16-18 are mild but not warm. You need 20+ to call it warm.People wandering around in beach wear in such lukewarm weather look ridiculous in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I think we are reaching the time of year where even cool temps feel very warm due the sun being so strong by day. It reached into the high teens here today and I found it very warm and yesterday evening/night was, to me at least, comfortable 'teeshirt' temps. As you say though, it may well be relative conditioning as it has been relatively cool right up to the last couple of days. The same temps may feel relatively cool after a hot spell.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

so far this year I havent felt warm once, here in the east during the 'warm' spell in April and the current 'warm' spell the temps have barely made it past 15 or 16C. It's nice in the sun but even the slightest breeze has a chill to it. I consider warm to be 21C+ and so far this year we haven't goten even close to that (at least near the east coast). Hopefully things will warm up over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭pauldry

was 21c exactly in sligo today at 230pm

felt warm but not roasting

over 25c is my type of temperatures

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Gonzo wrote: »
    so far this year I havent felt warm once, here in the east during the 'warm' spell in April and the current 'warm' spell the temps have barely made it past 15 or 16C. It's nice in the sun but even the slightest breeze has a chill to it. I consider warm to be 21C+ and so far this year we haven't goten even close to that (at least near the east coast). Hopefully things will warm up over the next few weeks.

Agree with all of the above, there seems to be a misconception that we got a very warm April for some reason. All stats suggest it was a below average month for temperature. I am extremely disappointed with June so far also, The highest temp at my closest station(Dublin Airport) to 11th June was 16.3c. Weather at the moment would be more akin to a very pleasant October.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

16/17c in Dublin/east Meath again today, could be the warmest day of the year so far here and it's almost mid June. I am hopeful that we may finally reach the dizzy heights of 20C at some stage next week.

Any good sunny weather we had during April and this week had an easterly wind so that's kept our temperature down compared to the rest of the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Any good sunny weather we had during April and this week had an easterly wind so that's kept our temperature down compared to the rest of the country.

This sort of implies that those of us further west are having a great time with all this badly distributed heat! :D

Not the case at all. While we did do marginally better than eastern areas during the April warm spell, we paid for it since with the north and west bearing the brunt of cold air masses that have been in place since the end of April that not only brought cool daytime temps, but an abundance of rain that eastern areas largely escaped. It is really only in the last couple of days that this side of the country enjoyed temps that are more closer to normal for the year. The table below shows the mean and absolute maxima at select stations on the met.ie network since April 1st. While Shannon does top the table in this regard, you'll see that midland and eastern areas have largely done slightly better regarding mean daily maxima during the period than most other areas. All data from www.met.ie

351877.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Arbitrary

so far this year I havent felt warm once

+1!

You wouldn't catch people in shorts and t-shirts around that time of year
    January
    Temp. Station Date
    15.7 Ashford, Co. Wicklow 3rd (also 14.5 on 2nd)
    15.0 Cahore, Co. Wexford 2nd
    14.9 Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin 29th
    14.8 Dublin, Merrion Square, Co. Dublin 29th
    14.5 Dungarvan, Co. Waterford 3rd

Any time people say to me it's warm, I can't help but think, yeah sure, warm like a mild Winter's day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

But 18C in the sun on a calm day is easily hot enough to go around in shorts. I'm in the middle of England and it was a cloudy 23C today but it was much nicer and even hotter on the skin on the many days it's been 17-19C and sunny. It felt about as warm as when I was in Madrid in March 2014 and it was 22 and sunny. The sun was a bit weaker at that time but it was similar feeling to high teens summer sun in this corner of Europe and everyone in Madrid at the time were in fairly summary clothes, though there were a few coats around because it gets really cold at night there in winter/spring.

Arbitrary wrote: »
    +1!

You wouldn't catch people in shorts and t-shirts around that time of year

Any time people say to me it's warm, I can't help but think, yeah sure, warm like a mild Winter's day!!

Come on, surely if you're in the weather section you know what kind of weather is needed to bring these "mild" temperatures in winter. It's not on a sunny calm day, and it's only to the benefit of those indoors. They are usually accompanied by Atlantic storms, thick cloud and drizzle ect. They are nothing like 15C on a sunny day in late spring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Heading for 20C here, currently 19.4 and sunny, sea breeze holding off - for now.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

But 18C in the sun on a calm day is easily hot enough to go around in shorts. I'm in the middle of England and it was a cloudy 23C today but it was much nicer and even hotter on the skin on the many days it's been 17-19C and sunny. It felt about as warm as when I was in Madrid in March 2014 and it was 22 and sunny. The sun was a bit weaker at that time but it was similar feeling to high teens summer sun in this corner of Europe and everyone in Madrid at the time were in fairly summary clothes, though there were a few coats around because it gets really cold at night there in winter/spring.

That's my point. I guarantee that nobody in Madrid was going around in shorts at 22 degrees like people are here at 17 degrees.

murpho999 wrote:
    That's my point. I guarantee that nobody in Madrid was going around in shorts at 22 degrees like people are here at 17 degrees.

Thats because there used to alot warmer weather. They can handle 30c no problem! We are Irish, were used to cold weather so when we hit 20c were baked!
    People here moaning about other people wearing shorts or going to the beach because its "not warm enough". If we were to wait for proper warm weather to get the swimwear out we would be lucky to do it 2 or 3 times a year.

Thats because there used to alot warmer weather. They can handle 30c no problem! We are Irish, were used to cold weather so when we hit 20c were baked!
    People here moaning about other people wearing shorts or going to the beach because its "not warm enough". If we were to wait for proper warm weather to get the swimwear out we would be lucky to do it 2 or 3 times a year.

That's like saying we should don our ski jackets and take to the hills whenever we get a heavy frost; 'cos if we were to wait for proper snow to get the skis out we would be lucky to do it once every 2 or 3 year! :)

Well there were some people in shorts, most were in average everyday clothing, some had coats because at that time of year if you get caught out after dusk it drops to 4-5C very quickly.

It's a myth that people in hot countries are immune to the heat. There's a reason every building has aircon. Where my girlfriend is from in Venezuela it's 28-33C every day all year round and it's oppressive as hell for them. It's Venezuela so power cuts and product shortages add to the issue but going out in that heat for ages isn't fun for them.

It's a myth that people in hot countries are immune to the heat. There's a reason every building has aircon. Where my girlfriend is from in Venezuela it's 28-33C every day all year round and it's oppressive as hell for them. It's Venezuela so power cuts and product shortages add to the issue but going out in that heat for ages isn't fun for them.

It can't be more oppressive than the weather here? I mean wind and mist and rain for 4 months straight in the winter with maybe a week overall of an exception is very oppressive and depressive.

It can't be more oppressive than the weather here? I mean wind and mist and rain for 4 months straight in the winter with maybe a week overall of an exception is very oppressive and depressive.

Nah - that's invigorating! :)

• Advertisement

Temperture has just hit 23c! Very warm today, especially when the sun came out a minute ago. Windy though. Feels like there is a heavy shower on the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,947 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

It misted for a good deal of the afternoon and it's been really dull and windy and sometimes cold here in Galway. Very overcast at the moment.

Sea breeze died away and temperature shot up, 22C here now :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

Mars Bar wrote: »
    It misted for a good deal of the afternoon and it's been really dull and windy and sometimes cold here in Galway. Very overcast at the moment.

Weather in Galway is cat for June!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Supercell wrote: »
    Sea breeze died away and temperature shot up, 22C here now :)

Very hot in Arklow today ,Sun all day and a light sw land breeze Hit 24c and still a very sunny 21 now just beautiful

Amazing contrasts west to east on our island

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Humidity has a lot to answer for as well though, doesn't it ? Generally very humid in Ireland when we have good weather that it makes sense to have the shorts out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Mist/rain here in Mayo all day. At least I won't have to water my flowers. :-/

Half nine and still 20C, summer has arrived, feels like the south of France outside :)
    Humidity of 75% probably helping, though it still feels nice.

High today of 23.1c near Arklow
    What a lovely summer this is turning out to be recently

High of 17c today. No break in the clouds.
    I've noticed a lot booking sun holidays this year (those who haven't for years). What an awful start to the summer.

High of 17c today. No break in the clouds.
    I've noticed a lot booking sun holidays this year (those who haven't for years). What an awful start to the summer.

Wall to wall Sun here dawn to dusk with a land breeze
    I think similar to last year where the normal sea breezes went on some kind of sabbatical a lot down through east Wicklow and wexford hence the low 20s again
    It was a great day for the beach actually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

A beautiful day in Galway city
    High of 17.2C, 13.5 hrs of sunshine and a fabulous sunset to cap it off :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I think the weather in past 2 weeks has improved in the South and East but continues to struggle in the North and West in terms of temps and sunshine. All down to the sustained Atlantic influence that has now dominated our weather since the late autumn. SST's in the Atlantic are also several degrees below averge which doesn't help eitheir. The situation in Northern Britain is even worse, saw a headline recently that reported on sheep in Orkneys reduced to stripping bark off Gorse bushes such is the lack of grass growth due to sustained ongoing cold and often wet conditions.

Lovely day here but only made 19C because a NW breeze produces none of that föhn effect at the northern tip of the Wicklow/Dublin mountains.

But nice and sunny.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Overcast and dull, mist on the hills.

Remaining dry in Tralee

14C approx

Humid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Really dense fog here in Mayo now. Feels like a mild day in November.

Rolling fog patches and mist here in west Clare with an all time record temperature of 16.5c.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Any sign of a decent warm spell for the western and north-western seaboards?
    Or is it all clear but cold on the forecasts and FI?

Warmest day of the year here near Arklow 25.4c peak so far in the sun
    Feels balmy \0/

West Clare yet again has awful weather. Mist/Fog/Rain/Wind all day here in Clare, too wet to cut grass, can't go for a walk in fear of a shower and an umbrella is useless in this wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Has gotten very sunny in Galway city in the last hour or two bit breezy but warm in the sun...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Cracking day in East Cork! 21c now and mostly sun. There's a lovely warm breeze as well :)

Nice here, topped out at 22C, mainly sunny day, partly cloudy after a dull start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Stunner of a day, all day, in Cork city. Wasn't expecting that. Sweltering at times.

• Advertisement

Was in Sligo over the weekend, very noticeably cooler than here. Recorded 24.7C here yesterday so assume the Wicklow fohn was in full force. Was nice enough in Sligo but probably was around 17C'ish I'd guess and it rained all evening and this morning.
    Was cool and mostly overcast in Sligo up until this afternoon, would guess temperatures were around 15 or 16C, very noticeably warmer here when we got out of the car back home, bit gutted i may have missed the warmest day of the year here but we had a nice stay in the west, was almost weird to see the rain again!!

Advertisement