Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUMMER WEATHER 2015 -GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I have heard this heatwave thing too much.
    Friday onwards was looking promising a few days ago, but not anymore. People seem to think forecasts for a week away dont change and therefore don't watch them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Wasn't today meant to be a 'good' day. Don't know about the rest of the country but here its cloudy 14 degrees nothing great at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Cloudy, dry, light breeze and 16C here today. Things are looking up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭worded

No growth out there.

I've 5 courgettes plants about to die.

Oh come on summer FFS

There are two guaranteed sunny warm periods in Ireland according to legend; the fortnight in June of the Leaving Cert and the first week in September when the schools re-open.

Has anyone every researched the matter?

• Advertisement

There are two guaranteed sunny warm periods in Ireland according to legend; the fortnight in June of the Leaving Cert and the first week in September when the schools re-open.

Has anyone every researched the matter?

No need its nonsense.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭B17G

Lovely structure on a depression to the west of Ireland this morning.

351037.jpg

In the visible spectrum at 10am.

351044.jpg

Colour image.

351069.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

flazio wrote: »
    I thought the start of the state exams heralded the start of the heatwaves?

Jeez - that preditction was looking good for a few hours!! :) Then the rain came! :(

• Advertisement

No need its nonsense.....

You can't know that without doing some research; you can only suspect it's nonsense because it has no apparent scientific basis.

I suppose that means you have little faith in Pat the Postman's forecasts?

Today it was sunny and 17C and the poor sods were inside scribbling away. This could be the nearest to a heatwave we'll get this month looking at the forecasts......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Very windy in Galway all day hard to believe its june..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Joanne Donnelly from Met Eireann a few mins ago advised people to go online to have a look at the satellite image. I haven't heard that before.
    It may not what we want to see as we approach mid-summer but quite a dramatic looking image.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Very wind here in west Clare, basket off the lawnmover decided to take flight a few minutes ago.

When's the wind to peak?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Gone very windy in Galway in the past two hours some very vicious gusts

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

So much for this much hyped "Leaving-cert weather". Only difference I can see the past few days is that there are less heavy showers and a bit more sunshine. Out of the sun, it stills feels unseasonably cool and very gusty. Not impressed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Very windy in Galway all day hard to believe its june..

The wind the past month or more has been shocking. And I don't even live in a windy part of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

road_high wrote: »
    The wind the past month or more has been shocking. And I don't even live in a windy part of Ireland.

Unbelievable winds on a regular basis for the past ages. Got a new dodgy driveway gate a few months ago that acts like its going to take off with every gust so Im very aware, nightmare :(

maggiepip wrote: »
    Unbelievable winds on a regular basis for the past ages. Got a new dodgy driveway gate a few months ago that acts like its going to take off with every gust so Im very aware, nightmare :(

Seems to be settling down for a few days coming up. Nothing spectacular dry bright mid teen temperatures. I'm sure this will somehow be manufactured into a heatwave by some.

You can't know that without doing some research; you can only suspect it's nonsense because it has no apparent scientific basis.

I suppose that means you have little faith in Pat the Postman's forecasts?

Today it was sunny and 17C and the poor sods were inside scribbling away. This could be the nearest to a heatwave we'll get this month looking at the forecasts......

Pat The post man? Is that a serious question? Today was breezy and showery certainly not hot or uncomfortable or anything like it. I wouldn't swap places with any of them mind you!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

Well the heat has been moderated . Hopefully next week sees higher temperatures but with the sea 2 to 4c below average max will only struggle

Could be one of the coldest junes on record coz of this.

But id be more optimistic things wil warm up next week.

Lovin the www.sat24.com image

Oh christ

JUst looked at longer range

NOw its saying that after 3 dry days next week northwesterly returns for another month.

This would mean temperature s of 11 to 14c

Maybe it wont happen. But its summer n looking for all the world like the cold Gods are winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

On the subject of that big Atlantic depression, the chart was very similar exactly 71 years ago today. The D-Day landings were originally planned for June 5th but barometric readings from Belmullet showed an unusually deep depression for the time of year in the north Atlantic giving gales in the Channel, the invasion of Europe was put off until the following day and the rest is as they say history!

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/1944/Rrea00119440605.gif
    http://www.mayo-ireland.ie/en/towns-villages/belmullet/belmullet-blacksod-lighthouse.html

Well high pressure next week will bring an improvement of 15c n 13c n drizzle in nw . Thats normal summer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I put together this short video animation of today's impressive looking low pressure system. Brought ****ty weather on the ground but looked nice and spinny from above.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1129494530400260

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alexis Sanchez

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I put together this short video animation of today's impressive looking low pressure system. Brought ****ty weather on the ground but looked nice and spinny from above.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1129494530400260

What's the name of the song in your video?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Hooter23

In bed now and it sounds like a winters night out there so used to the sound of howling wind here in ireland it helps put me to sleep ...

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Could be the most rotten start to June I can ever remember?

1983, NE storm and a max of 8C on circa the 8th of June. (July/August '83 were amongst the hottest on record).

You was lucky to have shoebox.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Very stormy in Castlebar at the moment, plenty of branches have came down already this week, it really does not feel like summer yet.

• Advertisement

1983, NE storm and a max of 8C on circa the 8th of June. (July/August '83 were amongst the hottest on record)...

EXcept that was 1983.

In 2007 to 2012 nw winds predominated the whole season with cool Summers

This Summer cud also be a repeat of those 5!

Advertisement