Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUMMER WEATHER 2015 -GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

pauldry wrote: »
    EXcept that was 1983.

In 2007 to 2012 nw winds predominated the whole season with cool Summers

This Summer cud also be a repeat of those 5!

This is reminding me of the summer 2006 or 2007..I can't remember which. I was living with a Spanish girl who I came home one afternoon to find sitting on the couch weeping into her hands. She was inconsolable and it was from lack of sunshine, she couldn't understand how it can rain and be so grey so consistently. Poor thing, we plied her with alcohol and made it all better, for a few hours anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Of course it's Summer now

First I've heard of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Supercell wrote: »
    BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!

Gotta love leaving cert time :)

Not exactly bbq weather is it.....wind howling

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Not exactly bbq weather is it.....wind howling

Suffice it to say , that chart didn't come off!
    Says it all that we are still posting in the spring thread and are almost in the second week of June.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Supercell wrote: »
    Suffice it to say , that chart didn't come off!
    Says it all that we are still posting in the spring thread and are almost in the second week of June.

Yeah - this time last week the model were suggesting heat and thunderstorm for today.:(

• Advertisement

Do I see 21c for next Thursday and Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Two gorgeous cells appearing over London in that as well!

Two gorgeous cells appearing over London in that as well!

Another disappointing day its windy showery and cool.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Lovely afternoon here; sunny and 17C with a light breeze. All we could ask for is a few extra degrees :)

Well, maybe it helped her understand why we drink so much? :)

• Advertisement

Proper summer weather here in west Clare, only a little cool in a breeze. Down the town its very warm.

Not a bad day here at all. Its warm when the sun is out problem is that the sun is in more than out. Not beach weather or anything like it and probably seems better given what's went before.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

14C here today, still a good 3 or 4C below what it should be for early June, feels more like March.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

A bad May and start to June can oftern herald a "scourcher" if you look back at the stats. Though exceptions do occur such as 2011, which was a stinker from begining to end!!

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alexis Sanchez

Birdnuts wrote: »
    A bad May and start to June can oftern herald a "scourcher" if you look back at the stats. Though exceptions do occur such as 2011, which was a stinker from begining to end!!

I remember June 2013 being crap. I briefly read Met Eireann's analysis of it and they mentioned ground frost in the east and north.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Well, maybe it helped her understand why we drink so much? :)

Probably not. We drink in excess simply because culture dictates that we do. It is a self imposed legend that we need to keep alive for the sake of global recognition.

:)

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

pauldry wrote: »
    EXcept that was 1983.

In 2007 to 2012 nw winds predominated the whole season with cool Summers

This Summer cud also be a repeat of those 5!

It could be worse than those 5.

For the last few summers, Arctic ice didn't melt as much and showed signs of a recovery and we have decent enough weather.

This year, it has melted in a similar trend to 2007 to 2012, only much worse, with May being a record low.

I remember June 2013 being crap. I briefly read Met Eireann's analysis of it and they mentioned ground frost in the east and north.

June 2013 I remember being pretty good, especially the first part of it. Even by the 4th, we had temps getting well into the 20s in many parts as an Anticylone built to the NE. It was a glorious spell of weather which lasted a good week :)

351348.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    June 2013 I remember being pretty good, especially the first part of it. Even by the 4th, we had temps getting well into the 20s in many parts as an Anticylone built to the NE. It was a glorious spell of weather which lasted a good week :)

351348.png

Yeah First 10 days in June 2013 were glorious then mixed until July 5th when the real heat came. This summer has 2011 written all over it. Evelyn Cusack gave some hope over the weekend only to be checked by Gerry Murphy last night when he informed the nation that unsettled conditions will re-commence from Friday next. No sign of the mecca that is a "blocking High" any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alexis Sanchez

351348.png

Doesn't sound "pretty good" by the analysis below. I'm not sure you always post a static picture of a pressure chart when giving your analysis, they change very quickly in this part of the world.
    1st to 9th:
    Unsettled weather at the start of the month with showers, isolated and heavy, a few with thunder, some rain and drizzle also. Mainly dry and warm thereafter, with some fog and mist in places. Cloudy interludes, but mainly clear, sunny skies, leading to low night-time temperatures and ground frost in Midlands and eastern areas.

10th to 17th:
    Wet and slightly cooler conditions across the country as frontal activity brought bands of rain and showers to all places. Large rainfall accumulations, with thunderstorms in places. Mainly dull with a small number of areas having extended periods of sunshine. Gusts greater than 34 knots recorded in coastal counties.

18th to 19th:
    Brief return to dry, warm, sunny conditions with little or no rainfall.

20th to 30th:
    More unsettled weather with bands of rain and drizzle with lower temperatures, becoming warmer and drier by the end of the month. A little
    ground frost in places. Good periods of sunshine, with a couple of dull days in places.

Wind and Elements:
    Mean windspeeds for the month were between five knots (9km/h) at Ballyhaise and 12 knots (22km/h) at Mace Head, Sherkin Island and Malin Head. Monthly wind speeds in parts of the Southwest, South and East were the highest in five to 11 years. No gale force winds were recorded, with the months highest 10-minute wind speed of 33 knots (61 km/h) recorded at both Malin Head and Mace Head on the 15th and 22nd, respectively. Sherkin Island, Malin Head and Belmullet reported five days with gusts greater than 34 knots. The month’s highest gust was 43 knots (80 km/h) at Newport on the 22nd. Numerous days recorded lightning activity, with the most severe activity recorded on the 15th over the Dublin area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

June 2013 was still way better than 07-12, I wouldn't have described it as "crap"

Doesn't sound "pretty good" by the analysis below.

Don't see anything in that analysis that suggests it was a 'bad' June? :confused: I stand by my comment that June 2013 was pretty good.

351387.PNG

http://www.met.ie/climate/MonthlyWeather/clim-2013-Jun.pdf

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

June 2013 was good but wasn't May 2013 an absolute washout? Weren't the farmers importing silage because there was no grass growth - weather only changed 1st week of June and it ended update fab month.

Don't see anything in that analysis that suggests it was a 'bad' June? :confused: I stand by my comment that June 2013 was pretty good.

351387.PNG

http://www.met.ie/climate/MonthlyWeather/clim-2013-Jun.pdf

The tyranny of fact! :(

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Yep. End of April and beginning of May were poor enough as far as I can remember..

I remember they were saying mass on Mid West Radio to pray for good weather for the farmers, must've worked

Anyone else a little underwhelmed by all this talk of how glorious the weather is? Don't get me wrong it's nice but here in South Tipp its cloudy at times and certainly not too hot. Nice but....of course its better than what we had I'm not disputing that for a second but there's already talks of showers and mid teen temperatures approaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Lovely day in Dublin 3, tortoises were out for some real UV rays as it was just warm enough for them...finally. They had a blast.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Hey hey ya boyo! Scorcher here today, at last some real warmth there. How long is it suppose to last anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Looks like it is going to be a decent summer. The postman from Donegal is saying it looks promising (http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/postman-examines-donegal-wildlife-expects-good-summer-1.2244075) A few people don't think this is guy is reliable but over the years he seems spot on. Fingers crossed he is right again...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

Beautiful sunset to round off a Beautiful Day here in Kildare

7A53F8BC5D164B0D90DC67B8CF1BC857-0000334566-0003769044-00800L-DC6637A9314145FA845A62BCFB7AE556.jpg

Advertisement